Vernick Food & Drink
2031 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vernick Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vernickphilly.com/
- Phone: 2676396644
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar: Tuesday-Sunday 4:30pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Gregory Vernick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Cross Street: 20th
- Public Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station
Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available. We do not have valet parking at this time. The closest parking garages include:
- Parkway: corner of 20th and Walnut St (outdoor lot)
- Rittenhouse Garage: entrance on 20th between Walnut St & Chancellor St
- Central Parking: 2027 Sansom St.
- Patriot Parking: 2102 Sansom St.
A word from Vernick Food & Drink
Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef-owner Gregory Vernick, a Cherry Hill, NJ native, focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features homemade sodas, as well as a carefully crafted selection of domestic and imported wines and beers and perfectly poured cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Vernick Food & Drink - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Vernick Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (144)special occasion (104)neighborhood gem (75)hot spot (66)romantic (65)vibrant bar scene (42)notable wine list (38)good for groups (16)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- InventiveJellyotterVIPDined on 8/30/2014Loved Vernick! Wonderful food and very nice service. Ethan was just great. Get the uni over scrambled eggs, and save room for the blueberry pie for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can you get it delivered?GovolsDined on 8/28/2014The food was fantastic. The server was aloof and careless. We asked for more of something and he told us he didn't want to bother the chef. Really? He's afraid of the chef? It was so loud upstairs I couldn't hear my friend talking. So, the place has changed from a calm, romantic dinner spot to one of those places that serves tables of 10 and has a chef the staff is afraid of. Does that mean I should be afraid of him too?Special Features:
- famishedDined on 8/28/2014The seafood and shellfish roast is amazingly generous and delicious. My server was very knowledgable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous...as always!MagentagirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014One course after another, the food delights! We shared several toasts and then moved onto small and large plates. My mother, a foody from way back, declared her wood grilled chicken the best she's ever had! And did I mention that the service is perfect?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDinerDudeDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I had dinner at Vernick before attending a play in Philadelphia. The restaurant is small, but we had a nice table on the second floor overlooking the street. The menu is not extensive, but there are some interesting choices. Everything we tried was delicious, and the service was extremely attentive and friendly. I can understand why Vernick has received so many positive reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantIguanetteDined on 8/20/2014Good restaurant. Well located. Original and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Philly!Barcalover4Dined on 8/19/2014Everything was outstanding! The food was excellent and the service was superb! It was my second time dining at Vernick and I enjoyed sitting in the back room by the kitchen. There was an energetic vibe from the kitchen and seeing all of the dishes come out was fun! I will highly recommend Vernick to all of my friends!Special Features:
- A find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food: Interesting takes on traditional dishes. Everything was delicious. Drink: Wide selection, uncommon labels. Staff: InCREDibly knowledgable! Able to recommend excellent pairings of both cocktails and wines. Service was impeccable, personal, and attentive.Special Features:
- Interesting and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2014Couscous with tarragon cream and mussels, grilled sourdough with fromage blanc and pickled cherries, lamb confit and peach salad -- just some of the really great food we had. One of the best 5 restaurants I have eaten at in Philly.Special Features:
- Great for After Theatre DinnerWeenjoyeatingoutDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had dinner at Vernick after attending a musical. The toast appetizers were unique and delicious, especially the crab toast and fried green tomatoes toast. We both had black sea bass as our entree; it was excellent. Service was outstanding and the wait staff's knowledge of the menu made our dinning experience an enjoyable one. You should give Vernick a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner at VernickBaltPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014We started off with a corn purree shot amuse, perfect way to start the meal. We ordered the avocado and pepper toast along with the MD crab toast, both of which were exceptional. Next arrived the lamb belly with peach salad, the artic char with fried skin and dill, and the uni with warm scrambled eggs. The chef sent over the fluke crudo which was really nice of him. Everything was amazing. Entrees, a 1/2 chicken, the atlantic cod with shrimp dumplings in a lemongrass broth, and the braised rabbit leg and rabbit sausage. Wow, again everything was fantastic. Dessert included dark chocolate gelato, the cornbread pudding, the milk chocolate semifreddo, and the blueberry pie. Everything was fantastic but the star was the blueberry pie.Special Features:
- overpricedsrreviewerDined on 8/2/2014small wine by the glass list and overpriced drinks and food. will not go back. don't understand the hype.
- Phenomenal experience!PhillyfoodieDined on 7/30/2014We went to Vernick for our anniversary and were absolutely blown away -- every dish we ordered was delicious. The food is original and surprising, but also consistently well-executed and so yummy! The drink menu offered wonderful pairings and the drinks were generous and quite strong (not in a bad way!). And the service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Overall, quite possibly the best meal we've had in Philly for a long time! I highoy recommend Vernick for any special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding City Center SpotrrschrumjrDined on 7/26/2014Vernick's stellar reputation is deserved. An excellent, energetic vibe. Seats on the second floor are essentially on a balcony, which makes for romantic dining on a nice evening. Stellar wines by the glass -- all a bit out there; no over-oaked Chardonnay here. We shared a lamb/peach dish, a pork steak dish, and a pasta dish. All were outstanding. Seek your waiter's advice on what to order; you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- A master at the top of his form!!!emjayVIPDined on 7/26/2014For our first time at Vernick we had the good fortune to be seated opposite the kitchen where Greg Vernick presided like a zen master on what elsewhere might have been a slammed Saturday night. Instead food, service, ambiance and a summer evening converged in a way that made the night joyfully tranquil and the meal a contemplative feast. Toasts, which most other places would would be a high-profit afterthought, here are perfectly composed (our crab as with lemon aioli was a sonata); sea bream crudo let the fish speak its true, unctuous nature; roasted mushrooms with peanuts from the wood burning oven tantalized and paved the way for a roasted whole daurade with grilled romaine. The wine list is stunning and not extortive, the staff serene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoritehmorrowVIPDined on 7/26/2014Vernick is the best restaurant in the Philly area Everything is always delicious.Special Features:
- Fabulous Again!JudeVIPDined on 7/25/2014We discovered Vernick's last November. We loved it the first time and on a brief stop in Philly we decided we needed to go back. So glad we did! The food is awesome and the service is superb! I went back to congratulate the chef. I asked a server - is the chef here? He replied "he is ALWAYS here!" I loved that! In this age of celebrity chefs with restaurants all over the world, it was nice to dine in a great spot where the chef is actually there and on the line! The toasts are fantastic and a unique category I wish was served elsewhere! My pasta with morels and roasted onions was delish and my husband salad was great! We shared the roast chicken and it was terrific!Special Features:
- Food is so yummy..fabulously yummy!LadyCheetahVIPDined on 7/23/2014I've been to Vernick several times in the past few months and the food is just scrumptious. The service is fabulous. The menu changes frequently so it's hard to review specific dishes. We had a couple of toasts (fried green tomatoes were terrific!) and several small dishes (peach and lamb salad). All were terrific. Our server's timing was perfect...timely but not hover...not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavy on SaltOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/22/2014We have enjoyed dining at Vernick multiple times. Unfortunately this was not our most favorite visit/food. All the dishes we got was consistently too salty. We ate on the late side and perhaps Chef was home with his family and we got assistant chef(s) with heavy hand on salt. This was our first experience of the blueberry pie. Highly highly recommend. Quite big, nice size to share between two to four people. If you are visiting the restaurant for the first time and noise level is important to you, ask not to be seated upstairs especially if the windows are closed. Depending on who dines that night it can be too noisySpecial Features:
- Can never agree on a favorite itembooksandmastiffsDined on 7/18/2014We have now been to Vernick a handful of times, and it has yet to disappoint. The toasts are simply delicious. I love the fromage with cherries, a friend ordered a second beef tartar, such was his love for it...there was no one clear winner because they are all winners. We tend to go with new people each time, so that we can justify ordering most of the menu. Much love to the chicken, which is typically something we never order out, but here, we order it every single time. But we would be remiss if we did not also order the sea bass or the beef. The flavors will linger in your mind for days. Of course, leave room for the blueberry pie. That lingers in my mind for months...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to great?raidersix2002VIPDined on 7/17/2014I chose this location due to the Trip Advisor rating as #1 in philadelphia. Vernick is good, but not the best in philadelphia. We sat outside which was fine. Not very scenic but comfortible. Very active sidewalk scene if not at the center of rittenhouse square. I had the organtic chicken wit the tomato and cheese salad (a variation of a caprese). The tomato salad was spectacular and a touch spicy, which. I like a lot. The chicken was okay, under cooked so a left half. My friends had the day fish and rabbit. By all accounts the rabbit was exceptional. The catch of the day was very good as well. One highlight was our waitress, she was exceptionally nice and just the right level of attentivness. A very good experience all in all.Special Features:
- Terrificsd57VIPDined on 7/17/2014Best blueberry pie ever! Leave room for dessert. Also, very interesting appetizers with grilled toast with different toppings including one with fried green tomatoes and another with avocado and spicy radish. Delicious. Entrees are good too. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightomnivoreDined on 7/16/2014The staff were friendly and informal, welcoming and attentive. The food was excellent, We had the skirt steak and the cod. Both were perfectly cooked and had complex mixes of flavors that made each bit a delight. We will return!Special Features:
- Hot spot!foodlovers2Dined on 7/13/2014Top notch all around! Food, service, attention to detail. Would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaraDined on 7/12/2014The food was outstanding. Each dish from appetizers to dessert was delicious and well-executed. Our server was prompt and knowledgeable. Loved the atmosphere. Excellent experience overall.Special Features:
- AmazingFoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant has it all. They really thought of their decor right down to the books they put on the shelves and the mason jars filled with their chili oils. We sat in the back of the restaurant near the kitchen and it was great to see the food as it was coming out. They are so organized. Each type of employee has a different "uniform" and the place it just awesome. The food had so many layers of complex flavor. I wish I could eat there everyday. The warm ricotta with rhubarb and basil is delicious. As well as the grilled artichoke and crispy potatoes. Order those 2 dishes together so that you can dip your potatoes into the artichoke's saffron aioli sauce. My husband's rabbit was great too. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!RingoDined on 7/9/2014A poor second to Talula's Garden! After reading the reviews we were really looking forward to Vernick but it was loud, the food was good - but not great - and the beer list small and not very interesting. Food had too much finishing salt and it did not live up to it's hype.Special Features:
- Best meal in yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014This is by far the best restaurant in Philly in my opinion. My companion and I ordered 8 items total to share and they were all great, two of which were life changing dishes that I'll never forget (peaches with lamb belly confit, and mussels with cous cous and sweet corn). I was here when it first opened and had a similar experience... the arctic char crudo is also amazing. Service was extremely attentive and knowledgeable without being invasive.Special Features:
- ExceptionalMmm212Dined on 6/28/2014The food, atmosphere, and service at Vernick is top notch. Would come back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique menu; fine diningMicahBVIPDined on 6/28/2014Vernick is always a tough reservation to get during peak dining times. Everything is top-flight and you always see chef Greg Vernick working in the open kitchen. The servers are very knowledgeable and accommodating. You can dine with standard "large plate" entrees or mix it up with various components on the menu--pastas, small plates, salads, big plates, etc. The blueberry pie dessert was more than enough for two--huge. A must-visit for foodies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Shulie was an amazing server! The food was unbelievable! Both of my friends were still talking about it the next day!Special Features:
- InnovativePhillydinerDined on 6/27/2014This was my second visit to Vernick. The party of two attending with me were extremely impressed with the food, service and ambience. We are definitely returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink menuBlueshadeVIPDined on 6/27/2014Odd drink menu Not great for vodka drinkers When we walked in , table not ready and bar was packed , no place to sit .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and inspired.tastingtasterVIPDined on 6/25/2014Everything was tremendous. The octopus was so delicious I laughed after tasting it. Fresh, simply prepared, perfectly prepared flavorful food. Inspired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try again!AmandaBVIPDined on 6/21/2014My highly anticipated visit to Vernick fell a little flat. Everything was fine, but my husband did not enjoy his sea bass dinner at all, which put a damper on the meal. I have to say that the steak tartar toast was by far the best thing we ate all evening and the lamb confit and peach salad, while being ridiculously small for the price, was absolutely delicious. With so many great restaurants in Philly, we do not often revisit, but I think we will take another stab at Vernick, even if the only thing we order is the toasts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014Staff was knowledgable and accommodating. Fun time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best menu in townFeeleysluvfoodDined on 6/15/2014Every time we dine at Vernick we try something different and have been pleasantly surprised how amazing each dish is. The tastes are unlike anything we have ever experienced. Among all the options in Philly, it says a lot to say this currently is our favorite spot. The service is outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with great servicetoughtopleaseDined on 6/13/2014Best drink (old fashioned), best appetizer (crab toast), and best dessert (blueberry pie) I have ever eaten. Greg Vernick gets my vote for best chef in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OnTheDLVIPDined on 6/13/2014We elected to try a bunch of small plates. Try a variety of toasts (notably the beer tartare and the fried green tomatoes if available). The Tuna poke with sweet soy and the chili glazed octopus are also winners.Special Features:
- Lives up to all the hypeeatwelleathealthyDined on 6/12/2014Having read great online reviews, vernick didn't disappoint. We ordered the spicy radish/avocado and tuna poke starter, followed by the roasted seabass and pork chop, and a side of sautéed greens. We finished with carrot cake. Every dish we had was excellent, perfectly cooked, seasoned, presented. Would have loved to try everything on the menu as we looked around and all the dishes others were having looked just as good as ours. The tables around us all cleaned their plates, as we did. Will definitely return next time we have the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.