Vernick Food & Drink
2031 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vernick Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vernickphilly.com/
- Phone: 2676396644
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar: Tuesday-Sunday 4:30pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Gregory Vernick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Cross Street: 20th
- Public Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station
Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available. We do not have valet parking at this time. The closest parking garages include:
- Parkway: corner of 20th and Walnut St (outdoor lot)
- Rittenhouse Garage: entrance on 20th between Walnut St & Chancellor St
- Central Parking: 2027 Sansom St.
- Patriot Parking: 2102 Sansom St.
A word from Vernick Food & Drink
Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef-owner Gregory Vernick, a Cherry Hill, NJ native, focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features homemade sodas, as well as a carefully crafted selection of domestic and imported wines and beers and perfectly poured cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Vernick Food & Drink - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Vernick Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)special occasion (106)neighborhood gem (82)hot spot (72)romantic (61)vibrant bar scene (46)notable wine list (42)good for groups (21)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (11)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A new favoritebrianmVIPDined on 9/23/2014Went here on a Tuesday night, so a bit less crowded but still lively. We waited at the bar for just a few minutes, but we didn't mind -- our drinks were well crafted and refreshing. Once we were seated, everything was perfect. The service is some of the best I've experienced, and the staff actually paid attention and had a sense of timing! I had the rabbit, my dining companion had the cod, both of which were excellent. I can't wait to go back and try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014The food was fantastic. We had several smaller plates and the tuna poke, lamb over grilled peaches, and fresh pasta with duck ragout were our favorites. Cocktails were good as well as several great wines by the glass. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good ambiancePhillyfoodenthusiastDined on 9/20/2014Food was of course wonderful, perfect for our anniversary dinner! However, our table was about 2 inches from the table next to us, so it felt as though we were eating dinner with them too, which would usually be okay but not as good of a table for a romantic celebrationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome meal (as always)!SLC922VIPDined on 9/20/2014tomato and eggplant toast, tuna poke, seafood salad, romain and fig salad, tagliatelle with duck ragu, side mushrooms, side greens, blueberry pie, cab franc and coffee. What's not to like about that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in PhillyhmorrowVIPDined on 9/20/2014The best restaurant in Philadelphia. The food is new and imaginative Every bite is bursting with flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is "fabulous"DeedeeDined on 9/18/2014From the moment we stepped in Vernick we are pleased. From the wine list, to the appetizers, salads, entre then dessert, each course was better than the one prior! Interesting combinations and flavors. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. We at at a table inside but the windows were open to the street so we could enjoy the beautiful night. I would highly recommend Vernick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillyDinerVIPDined on 9/18/2014Each time I eat at Vernick, I can't wait until I go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always...BillrVIPDined on 9/14/2014It's always tough to get in! But when you do score a resy? Wow!!! What a great meal! (Oops, this review just made my chances even harder to get a resy. Darn!!!)Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014We had an excellent experience here. Our waitress and other wait staff were very attentive and answered all our questions. I loved the beef tartare on toast and my husband loved the grilled romaine with figs and aged cheddar. Braised rabbit an sausage with swiss chard was savory and tender. The little mini ice cream sandwiches were just the right thing to end the meal on a high note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usualAlanDined on 9/9/2014We are regulars at Vernick, best food in Philly, staff is outstanding, wonderful young people who do an outstanding job and enrich the experience. Grilled Romaine and Chicken are a must, Toast is out of this world EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014Without question, my new favorite restaurant. At first I thought I may just be caught up in the elation from celebrating my anniversary, but after a few days of thinking it over, I know my feelings for this place are genuine. Service was outstanding. Hostess seated us directly in front of upstairs window, very romantic. Started with complimentary cava, then beef tartare on toast & tuna poke. Amazing. Meta #2 & Green Hour for cocktails. Polar opposites, but perfectly balanced. Egg fettuccine, mussels with couscous, and fish special for entrees. Incredible. Finished with blueberry pie and chocolate semifreddo. I don't think I've ever had another dining experience where every dish was so over the top. Unforgettable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestOscarVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is an exquisite restaurant. Everything is top notch. The food is inventive and beautifully presented. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Had heard so many good things about Vernick I was concerned that it would never live up to the hype. Well, it did not disappoint. Service could have been a bit better given we had a few 'dead spots' between plates. But the food itself was great! Highlights were the grilled romaine salad (you must have this salad), roasted pork (real nice, moist, not too salty) and the rhubarb crisp which is more like a pie. All other plates were good as well, just not as memorable as those mentioned. Enjoyed the experience and looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundKeitherVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything our group had was very, very good. From the chicken, to the rabbit, to the seafood appetizers. It was a very well done dining experience all around. Worth the wait. Definitely one of Philadelphia's finest.Special Features:
- Foodlover96foodlover96VIPDined on 9/3/2014Love everything about Vernick from the first day they opened Great food and amazing and friendly staffSpecial Features:
- InventiveJellyotterVIPDined on 8/30/2014Loved Vernick! Wonderful food and very nice service. Ethan was just great. Get the uni over scrambled eggs, and save room for the blueberry pie for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can you get it delivered?GovolsDined on 8/28/2014The food was fantastic. The server was aloof and careless. We asked for more of something and he told us he didn't want to bother the chef. Really? He's afraid of the chef? It was so loud upstairs I couldn't hear my friend talking. So, the place has changed from a calm, romantic dinner spot to one of those places that serves tables of 10 and has a chef the staff is afraid of. Does that mean I should be afraid of him too?Special Features:
- famishedDined on 8/28/2014The seafood and shellfish roast is amazingly generous and delicious. My server was very knowledgable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous...as always!MagentagirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014One course after another, the food delights! We shared several toasts and then moved onto small and large plates. My mother, a foody from way back, declared her wood grilled chicken the best she's ever had! And did I mention that the service is perfect?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDinerDudeDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I had dinner at Vernick before attending a play in Philadelphia. The restaurant is small, but we had a nice table on the second floor overlooking the street. The menu is not extensive, but there are some interesting choices. Everything we tried was delicious, and the service was extremely attentive and friendly. I can understand why Vernick has received so many positive reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantIguanetteDined on 8/20/2014Good restaurant. Well located. Original and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Philly!Barcalover4Dined on 8/19/2014Everything was outstanding! The food was excellent and the service was superb! It was my second time dining at Vernick and I enjoyed sitting in the back room by the kitchen. There was an energetic vibe from the kitchen and seeing all of the dishes come out was fun! I will highly recommend Vernick to all of my friends!Special Features:
- A find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food: Interesting takes on traditional dishes. Everything was delicious. Drink: Wide selection, uncommon labels. Staff: InCREDibly knowledgable! Able to recommend excellent pairings of both cocktails and wines. Service was impeccable, personal, and attentive.Special Features:
- Interesting and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2014Couscous with tarragon cream and mussels, grilled sourdough with fromage blanc and pickled cherries, lamb confit and peach salad -- just some of the really great food we had. One of the best 5 restaurants I have eaten at in Philly.Special Features:
- Great for After Theatre DinnerWeenjoyeatingoutDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had dinner at Vernick after attending a musical. The toast appetizers were unique and delicious, especially the crab toast and fried green tomatoes toast. We both had black sea bass as our entree; it was excellent. Service was outstanding and the wait staff's knowledge of the menu made our dinning experience an enjoyable one. You should give Vernick a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner at VernickBaltPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014We started off with a corn purree shot amuse, perfect way to start the meal. We ordered the avocado and pepper toast along with the MD crab toast, both of which were exceptional. Next arrived the lamb belly with peach salad, the artic char with fried skin and dill, and the uni with warm scrambled eggs. The chef sent over the fluke crudo which was really nice of him. Everything was amazing. Entrees, a 1/2 chicken, the atlantic cod with shrimp dumplings in a lemongrass broth, and the braised rabbit leg and rabbit sausage. Wow, again everything was fantastic. Dessert included dark chocolate gelato, the cornbread pudding, the milk chocolate semifreddo, and the blueberry pie. Everything was fantastic but the star was the blueberry pie.Special Features:
- overpricedsrreviewerDined on 8/2/2014small wine by the glass list and overpriced drinks and food. will not go back. don't understand the hype.
- Phenomenal experience!PhillyfoodieDined on 7/30/2014We went to Vernick for our anniversary and were absolutely blown away -- every dish we ordered was delicious. The food is original and surprising, but also consistently well-executed and so yummy! The drink menu offered wonderful pairings and the drinks were generous and quite strong (not in a bad way!). And the service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Overall, quite possibly the best meal we've had in Philly for a long time! I highoy recommend Vernick for any special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding City Center SpotrrschrumjrVIPDined on 7/26/2014Vernick's stellar reputation is deserved. An excellent, energetic vibe. Seats on the second floor are essentially on a balcony, which makes for romantic dining on a nice evening. Stellar wines by the glass -- all a bit out there; no over-oaked Chardonnay here. We shared a lamb/peach dish, a pork steak dish, and a pasta dish. All were outstanding. Seek your waiter's advice on what to order; you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- A master at the top of his form!!!emjayVIPDined on 7/26/2014For our first time at Vernick we had the good fortune to be seated opposite the kitchen where Greg Vernick presided like a zen master on what elsewhere might have been a slammed Saturday night. Instead food, service, ambiance and a summer evening converged in a way that made the night joyfully tranquil and the meal a contemplative feast. Toasts, which most other places would would be a high-profit afterthought, here are perfectly composed (our crab as with lemon aioli was a sonata); sea bream crudo let the fish speak its true, unctuous nature; roasted mushrooms with peanuts from the wood burning oven tantalized and paved the way for a roasted whole daurade with grilled romaine. The wine list is stunning and not extortive, the staff serene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoritehmorrowVIPDined on 7/26/2014Vernick is the best restaurant in the Philly area Everything is always delicious.Special Features:
- Fabulous Again!JudeVIPDined on 7/25/2014We discovered Vernick's last November. We loved it the first time and on a brief stop in Philly we decided we needed to go back. So glad we did! The food is awesome and the service is superb! I went back to congratulate the chef. I asked a server - is the chef here? He replied "he is ALWAYS here!" I loved that! In this age of celebrity chefs with restaurants all over the world, it was nice to dine in a great spot where the chef is actually there and on the line! The toasts are fantastic and a unique category I wish was served elsewhere! My pasta with morels and roasted onions was delish and my husband salad was great! We shared the roast chicken and it was terrific!Special Features:
- Food is so yummy..fabulously yummy!LadyCheetahVIPDined on 7/23/2014I've been to Vernick several times in the past few months and the food is just scrumptious. The service is fabulous. The menu changes frequently so it's hard to review specific dishes. We had a couple of toasts (fried green tomatoes were terrific!) and several small dishes (peach and lamb salad). All were terrific. Our server's timing was perfect...timely but not hover...not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavy on SaltLoveFoodVIPDined on 7/22/2014We have enjoyed dining at Vernick multiple times. Unfortunately this was not our most favorite visit/food. All the dishes we got was consistently too salty. We ate on the late side and perhaps Chef was home with his family and we got assistant chef(s) with heavy hand on salt. This was our first experience of the blueberry pie. Highly highly recommend. Quite big, nice size to share between two to four people. If you are visiting the restaurant for the first time and noise level is important to you, ask not to be seated upstairs especially if the windows are closed. Depending on who dines that night it can be too noisySpecial Features:
- Best In ShowDocLevVIPDined on 7/19/2014By Far Best Restaurant now in Philly! Not a bad plate of food in this place. From Toasts to Tea to Steak to Summer Truffles. Wow! Amazing Place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can never agree on a favorite itembooksandmastiffsDined on 7/18/2014We have now been to Vernick a handful of times, and it has yet to disappoint. The toasts are simply delicious. I love the fromage with cherries, a friend ordered a second beef tartar, such was his love for it...there was no one clear winner because they are all winners. We tend to go with new people each time, so that we can justify ordering most of the menu. Much love to the chicken, which is typically something we never order out, but here, we order it every single time. But we would be remiss if we did not also order the sea bass or the beef. The flavors will linger in your mind for days. Of course, leave room for the blueberry pie. That lingers in my mind for months...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to great?raidersix2002VIPDined on 7/17/2014I chose this location due to the Trip Advisor rating as #1 in philadelphia. Vernick is good, but not the best in philadelphia. We sat outside which was fine. Not very scenic but comfortible. Very active sidewalk scene if not at the center of rittenhouse square. I had the organtic chicken wit the tomato and cheese salad (a variation of a caprese). The tomato salad was spectacular and a touch spicy, which. I like a lot. The chicken was okay, under cooked so a left half. My friends had the day fish and rabbit. By all accounts the rabbit was exceptional. The catch of the day was very good as well. One highlight was our waitress, she was exceptionally nice and just the right level of attentivness. A very good experience all in all.Special Features:
- Terrificsd57VIPDined on 7/17/2014Best blueberry pie ever! Leave room for dessert. Also, very interesting appetizers with grilled toast with different toppings including one with fried green tomatoes and another with avocado and spicy radish. Delicious. Entrees are good too. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightomnivoreDined on 7/16/2014The staff were friendly and informal, welcoming and attentive. The food was excellent, We had the skirt steak and the cod. Both were perfectly cooked and had complex mixes of flavors that made each bit a delight. We will return!Special Features:
- Hot spot!foodlovers2Dined on 7/13/2014Top notch all around! Food, service, attention to detail. Would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.