Vernick Food & Drink
2031 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vernick Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vernickphilly.com/
- Phone: (267) 639-6644
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar: Tuesday-Sunday 4:30pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Gregory Vernick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Cross Street: 20th
- Public Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station
Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available. We do not have valet parking at this time. The closest parking garages include:
- Parkway: corner of 20th and Walnut St (outdoor lot)
- Rittenhouse Garage: entrance on 20th between Walnut St & Chancellor St
- Central Parking: 2027 Sansom St.
- Patriot Parking: 2102 Sansom St.
A word from Vernick Food & Drink
Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef-owner Gregory Vernick, a Cherry Hill, NJ native, focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features homemade sodas, as well as a carefully crafted selection of domestic and imported wines and beers and perfectly poured cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Vernick Food & Drink - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Vernick Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (147)special occasion (92)neighborhood gem (86)hot spot (73)romantic (62)notable wine list (46)vibrant bar scene (41)good for groups (30)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Is it wrong to lick your bowl?DisplacedWesternerVIPDined on 11/21/2014Fantastic place. Food was awesome. That chicken...holy cow. So tasty. The mushroom salad was also a highlight. How do they make an egg do that? Menu is small but everything on it sounds great. One little gripe - wine list is tiny and expensive. Possibly over-curated...if that's a thing. We mere mortals occasionally like a glass of plain old cheap wine. Go eat here. You'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reason to return to PhillyNYCfoodiesDined on 11/19/2014My husband and I both incidentally needed to be in Philadelphia for work. I looked up a few places and the menu here looked incredible. Let's just say that the execution didn't disappoint. In fact, every dish wowed us in its rich and perfectly balanced flavors. We'd highly recommend sharing as many small plates as you can since it was all delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealTexasMoVIPDined on 11/19/2014The first thing I did after eating at Vernick was make another reservation. The Tuna Poke is a must try. The table agreed that this was awesome. The beef tartare was fantastic too. There were a variety of entrees ordered (Sea Bass, Veal, Rabbit) and everyone really enjoyed every dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerFranDined on 11/16/2014Vernick is perfect for a special occasion, we have been to Vernick many times. Decor and service impeccable. We always enjoy the toasts, roasted romaine and small plates, pies wonderful. We always feel like the main entree falls short. We had wood fire roasted fish and felt that it was not very flavorful, bland. Wines by the glass, always wonderful choices, never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the hypeWeHeartThisDined on 11/14/2014I go to Philly every two years, and treat the search for restaurants like I'm buying a car or a diamond! I research, then research some more to make sure I'm going to enjoy my visit. Vernick came up on every search as a highly recommended spot and I can now see why. Great looking (dimly lit, not too stark, not too hipster) great location (an easy walk, but a bit quitier than places right off of Broad) and quite possibly one of my favorite meals EVER. Don't miss the Sea Urchin and warm scramble eggs, and order as many toasts as you can - they are worth the hype. My friends also got the 28oz steak to share and said it was the best they've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place with great fishOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2014Booked this for a catch up meal with a buddy. Had great cocktails to start and then up stairs to table. Friendly and knowledgable waiter. Great food. The toasts were amazing. Sea bass main course perfectly cooked. Tomato sauce delicate accompaniment to soft fish. Nice wine list too. Eclectic. A great night out and great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedFoodLoverDined on 11/12/2014very good restaurant, definitely would recommend--great/interesting food, cool space, good location--only minor issue (for some) was noise level, which was toward the high sideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I have had in years!!!!MurphDined on 11/11/2014The veal was out of this world! Everything we ordered was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cool barWillGrovesDined on 11/9/2014My date and I chose to share a few courses of small plates. Everything was great. The sea urchin with warm scrambled eggs will haunt me forever. Just ridiculous how good that was. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite was amazingRP45Dined on 11/8/2014From the grilled romaine salad to the black sea bass and Parmesan custard, every bite was delicious. The Maryland Crab toast was very fresh and full of flavor. The simple execution and freshness of the food shone through. The service was thoughtful and the waiter made wonderful wine recommendations for our meal. All in all a babysitter worthy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VICTORIOUS VERNICKmermax127VIPDined on 11/6/2014Fabulous Food at Vernick... AS ALWAYS. We tried some new & esoteric items, like the sea urchin... interesting, different. The staff is amazing, service is impeccable. Oysters were a big hit. We ordered all apps, I am still trying to get a handle on "how" to order, but when we get there, we want to try everything. I will most likely get one app & an entree next time... I enjoyed the more unusual; items, however, I think I will stick to the more mainstream items next time... all in all, a delicious mean, it was my Mom's birthday, so they put a candle in the dessert. Nice touch! It was fun showing my Mom & sister Vernick! Memorable!Special Features:
- aswesomeFoodie220VIPDined on 11/4/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia. I cannot say enough good things about it. The food and the service were awesome. I recommend the roasted chicken....and the veal. Both were exquisite.Special Features:
- great food & outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Every course was a foodies delight. Outstanding toasts(chicken liver so smooth & creamy), both the 1/2 chicken & veal cutlet were delicious and we finished off with apple pie tart with vanilla ice cream. But the most outstanding part of the evening was the Staff. Extremely disciplined and polite, they would step aside so you the customer always had right of passage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously FunCweb103VIPDined on 10/28/2014Amazing experience here a few weeks back. Great place to celebrate my fiance's birthday. Menu has fantastic choices and the bar program is one of the best in the city. We loved the tuna poke, parmesan custard, and pepper roasted cauliflower. Everything was delicious. I cannot wait to return. Service was very very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back again!JennDined on 10/26/2014This is the second time I've eaten at Vernick. Service was fantastic along with the food and drink. Would definitely recommend to try out!Special Features:
- Great Food at Vernick!mermax127VIPDined on 10/25/2014We were celebrating our Anniversary.... it was a wonderful evening,we were greeted with a glass of Cava (delish) & a friendly staff. Food is inventive, fresh & delicious. I can see why it is so difficult to book here! So looking forward to going back. Staff was very knowledgeable. Love it here!Special Features:
- Nothing Special / Too much saltMe45VIPDined on 10/24/2014The meal started out well. We had oysters and scallops with caviar, but our entrees were so salty that they were inedible. My husband had the rabbit and I had the buckwheat pasta with mushrooms. Neither me nor my husband could take more than a few bites. We left out plates nearly full, and no one even asked how it was, whether anything was wrong, etc. They just cleared the plates. Beyond that, the wine was subpar. We had ordered 4 different wines by the glass by the end of the night, and all of them were pretty low quality for the price (between $12-16 per glass). I have no desire to go back. Perhaps it was an off night? It just wasn't good.
- Get the toast!RobMDined on 10/24/2014A friend heard we were going to Vernick and all he would say was "get the toast". And he was right! The toast was excellent, as was the sushi, and the braised artichokes, the grilled marlin, the grüner veltliner, the apple pie, and the ginger I e cream. Just fantastic all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fabulous dining experience!BarbDined on 10/23/2014My husband and I wanted to try out Vernick's since we were in the city that day and from the moment we walked in and were immediately seated, until the moment we left, with a warm thank you for dining with us tonight and our door opened to exit, everything in between was fantastic. We decided to try 5 small plates and split them, and also split a desert after that, and not one disappointed. All were exquisitely prepared and the flavors of each and every dish were simply delicious. In between serving each plate, a waitor came by to take the empty dish or to wipe off our table, fill our water glass and ask if we wished for anything else to drink. This was the most well trained staff I've (or my husband's) ever seen...we will return again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014perfect, staff was wonderful, everything we ordered was so interesting and delightful, the pork was excellent, the toasts were fun, and of course the figs in the salad made it special.Special Features:
- Gastronomic explorationJessDined on 10/17/2014From initially picking this place i knew it would be a gem, it over exceeded my expectations! The food was phenomenal and so delicious! It truly was a gastronomic exploration of food pairings and flavors! Every dish was like a newly wonderful surprise in my mouth! Would definitely recommend it to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Hype & Bigger DisappointmentNatasha1983VIPDined on 10/17/2014After taking 2 months to finally get a reservation, we had high hopes for Vernick. Service was slow, but our waiter was very friendly and knowledgable. We ordered the crab, sardine, and beef tartare toasts- these were the only decent dishes we had ordered that night. We also ordered a mushroom and crispy egg salad- very non-descript with raw mushrooms. As for entrees, I ordered the buckwheat fettucine which was flavorless and my fiance ordered the cod which was very unappetizing with it's heavy broth. The restaurant is certainly overrated and with so much much hype, it was a big disappointment- we will not be returning nor recommending.
- Great food, comfortable atmosphereRonPhiladelphiaDined on 10/16/2014We came here for a birthday dinner and were seated at a two top upstairs next to the open balcony wall, and the setting was just perfect. Even though it looked out onto a busy Walnut Street, it was interesting and lively without being oppressive or too noisy. Their wine selections were excellent, and each course of the food was quite delicious. Interesting and creative, but the underlying ingredients shine through for each. I have heard a lot about this restaurant, and it certainly met my high expectations for a special occasion wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- linguafoodDined on 10/15/2014This was the highlight of our recent visit to Philly. The toasts are insanely delicious & I could've easily made an entire meal of them. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Had to try based on OTCJCbostonVIPDined on 10/15/2014Gosh, these reviews on OT are stellar. Perhaps our expectations were too high - though it was good we were left a bit underwhelmed. A few specifics - room is comfortably small with space between the tables thankfully. No loud music so easy for conversation. Wine list is modest and very old world - for those who need a new world red there will be some options that come close. Food - creative - the toast was our favorite - in fact the bread was perfect, the pumpkin butter was rich and smooth. The sea bass and roasted cauliflower were Ok but for us not the wow that others described. A small detail - the online menu is close to what they had though some minor changes were noted in case you get your heart set on something!Special Features:
- Exceeded every expectationldrifVIPDined on 10/14/2014Knowlegeable, kind staff, great atmosphere, and amazing food and service--this place just gets it right. From the cocktails to the coffee, we had an amazing evening. Try anything from the wood fire oven (the chicken was phenomenal!). Other major standouts included the uni with warm scrambled eggs, the sardines, and the parmesan custard with red wine-braised artichokes. Don't hesitate to ask questions about the drink menu. They make great craft cocktails and the waitstaff makes spot-on recommendations and can have the bartender customize something to your taste. Vernick is well worth a visit, and we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- WOW!lkp214VIPDined on 10/9/2014Have heard rave reviews and finally was able to get a reservation. Every dish was exceptional...pate toast, artichoke soaked in red wine, lamb ragu, roasted pepper cauliflower and the wood-fire Lancaster half chicken. The food was supplemented by friendly and knowledgeable service and an extensive wine and beer list. BRAVO!!Special Features:
- Doesn't disappointRosieVIPDined on 10/9/2014My first meal here was when I was in town for Christmas 2013. It was so memorable that I returned for another visit when I was in town for a conference. My friends and I shared some starters to include the pea and bacon toast and mushrooms with a molten egg. I had the pork steak with a side of greens. Dessert was equally wonderful. The place is small and intimate so you feel relaxed and unrushed. I hope I can return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Sunday SuppervinojamDined on 10/5/2014Three friends and I enjoyed an amazing Sunday dinner at Vernick. We started with delightful selections from the interesting cocktail list. We shared a two toasts and two small plates; each was delicious and thankfully the staff paced them so our table was not overly crowded with small plates. Our entrees were all amazing (my favorite: the pork) and went perfectly with the bottle of wine our waitress, Ashley, helped us select based on our collective wine preferences. Everything was so good we decided we had to try a couple of desserts; both the pumpkin cheesecake and apple pie were fantastic and the presentation of each was unique. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not overratedSs2009VIPDined on 10/2/2014This place is amazing. The toasts were a stand out, as was the cauliflower. We shared 6 small plates and 3 desserts between 3 people and it was a perfect meal. Pims Cup was also on point in the cocktail arena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuinnVIPDined on 10/2/2014Wonderful service, in a very laid back but intimate atmosphere. The true star was the food... my wife and I shared 3 toast, 2 raw dishes and 2 small plates which was plenty of food with a wide range of exciting flavors. The stand outs were definitely the Fromage Blanc with Meyer Lemon Chutney Toast and the Tuna Poke with spicy soy sauce and candied ginger and macadamia nuts!Special Features:
- why did i wait so long?petrusscotusVIPDined on 10/2/2014excellent fish and thoughtful vegetables. excellent pasta. wine by the glass could improve now my favourite in west center city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine Dinner!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014Starting with excellent Negroni,s at the bar, we had a choice for seating. Decided to sit in the back dining room where there is an open kitchen. Clean & smart & amazingly not too noisy. Excellent service, Waiter, Ethan, was very helpful in answering our questions about the menu & wine. Carpaccio (to die for) & Avocado with Spicy radish to start, then 2 small pasta plates. Best was the tagliatelle with duck ragout. Then a large plate, which we shared. Best venison, we had ever eaten, so tender, with braised brussel sprouts on a lovely sauce. For dessert we shared an individual apple pie with creme fraise? icecream. Delicious!! Dining room on 2nd floor with big windows facing street is another choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014Vernick has certainly taken its place among the best restaurants in Philadelphia. The menu is somewhat limited at first glance but the flavor s and combinations are excellent. It's amazing how they can make a simple chicken taste so good.Special Features:
- Excellent Service!CharlesDined on 9/28/2014Vernick was a excellent place to dine. I took my girlfriend there for our 1 year anniversary. I picked it because I had heard of it through some people I worked with before. It surely did not disappoint. The waiters and waitress were constantly checking up on us and they also offered us food compliments of the chef. I would recommend this place for anyone that loves good food and wants a nice night out.Special Features:
- A new favoritebrianmVIPDined on 9/23/2014Went here on a Tuesday night, so a bit less crowded but still lively. We waited at the bar for just a few minutes, but we didn't mind -- our drinks were well crafted and refreshing. Once we were seated, everything was perfect. The service is some of the best I've experienced, and the staff actually paid attention and had a sense of timing! I had the rabbit, my dining companion had the cod, both of which were excellent. I can't wait to go back and try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014The food was fantastic. We had several smaller plates and the tuna poke, lamb over grilled peaches, and fresh pasta with duck ragout were our favorites. Cocktails were good as well as several great wines by the glass. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good ambiancePhillyfoodenthusiastVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food was of course wonderful, perfect for our anniversary dinner! However, our table was about 2 inches from the table next to us, so it felt as though we were eating dinner with them too, which would usually be okay but not as good of a table for a romantic celebrationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome meal (as always)!SLC922VIPDined on 9/20/2014tomato and eggplant toast, tuna poke, seafood salad, romain and fig salad, tagliatelle with duck ragu, side mushrooms, side greens, blueberry pie, cab franc and coffee. What's not to like about that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively with good foodDiDoDined on 9/20/2014A lively restaurant which was buzzing on the evening we visited. Excellent food with a twist. Different menu with toasts, raw e.g. Oysters, small and large plates. Very different and worth a visit.Special Features: