Vernick Food & Drink
2031 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vernick Food & Drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vernickphilly.com/
- Phone: 2676396644
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar: Tuesday-Sunday 4:30pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Gregory Vernick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Cross Street: 20th
- Public Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station
Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available. We do not have valet parking at this time. The closest parking garages include:
- Parkway: corner of 20th and Walnut St (outdoor lot)
- Rittenhouse Garage: entrance on 20th between Walnut St & Chancellor St
- Central Parking: 2027 Sansom St.
- Patriot Parking: 2102 Sansom St.
A word from Vernick Food & Drink
Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef-owner Gregory Vernick, a Cherry Hill, NJ native, focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features homemade sodas, as well as a carefully crafted selection of domestic and imported wines and beers and perfectly poured cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Vernick Food & Drink - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Vernick Food & Drink reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (142)special occasion (98)neighborhood gem (84)hot spot (74)romantic (61)vibrant bar scene (47)notable wine list (40)good for groups (22)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Gastronomic explorationJessDined on 10/17/2014From initially picking this place i knew it would be a gem, it over exceeded my expectations! The food was phenomenal and so delicious! It truly was a gastronomic exploration of food pairings and flavors! Every dish was like a newly wonderful surprise in my mouth! Would definitely recommend it to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, comfortable atmosphereRonPhiladelphiaDined on 10/16/2014We came here for a birthday dinner and were seated at a two top upstairs next to the open balcony wall, and the setting was just perfect. Even though it looked out onto a busy Walnut Street, it was interesting and lively without being oppressive or too noisy. Their wine selections were excellent, and each course of the food was quite delicious. Interesting and creative, but the underlying ingredients shine through for each. I have heard a lot about this restaurant, and it certainly met my high expectations for a special occasion wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- linguafoodDined on 10/15/2014This was the highlight of our recent visit to Philly. The toasts are insanely delicious & I could've easily made an entire meal of them. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Had to try based on OTCJCbostonVIPDined on 10/15/2014Gosh, these reviews on OT are stellar. Perhaps our expectations were too high - though it was good we were left a bit underwhelmed. A few specifics - room is comfortably small with space between the tables thankfully. No loud music so easy for conversation. Wine list is modest and very old world - for those who need a new world red there will be some options that come close. Food - creative - the toast was our favorite - in fact the bread was perfect, the pumpkin butter was rich and smooth. The sea bass and roasted cauliflower were Ok but for us not the wow that others described. A small detail - the online menu is close to what they had though some minor changes were noted in case you get your heart set on something!Special Features:
- WOW!lkp214VIPDined on 10/9/2014Have heard rave reviews and finally was able to get a reservation. Every dish was exceptional...pate toast, artichoke soaked in red wine, lamb ragu, roasted pepper cauliflower and the wood-fire Lancaster half chicken. The food was supplemented by friendly and knowledgeable service and an extensive wine and beer list. BRAVO!!Special Features:
- Doesn't disappointRosieVIPDined on 10/9/2014My first meal here was when I was in town for Christmas 2013. It was so memorable that I returned for another visit when I was in town for a conference. My friends and I shared some starters to include the pea and bacon toast and mushrooms with a molten egg. I had the pork steak with a side of greens. Dessert was equally wonderful. The place is small and intimate so you feel relaxed and unrushed. I hope I can return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Sunday SuppervinojamDined on 10/5/2014Three friends and I enjoyed an amazing Sunday dinner at Vernick. We started with delightful selections from the interesting cocktail list. We shared a two toasts and two small plates; each was delicious and thankfully the staff paced them so our table was not overly crowded with small plates. Our entrees were all amazing (my favorite: the pork) and went perfectly with the bottle of wine our waitress, Ashley, helped us select based on our collective wine preferences. Everything was so good we decided we had to try a couple of desserts; both the pumpkin cheesecake and apple pie were fantastic and the presentation of each was unique. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not overratedSs2009VIPDined on 10/2/2014This place is amazing. The toasts were a stand out, as was the cauliflower. We shared 6 small plates and 3 desserts between 3 people and it was a perfect meal. Pims Cup was also on point in the cocktail arena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuinnVIPDined on 10/2/2014Wonderful service, in a very laid back but intimate atmosphere. The true star was the food... my wife and I shared 3 toast, 2 raw dishes and 2 small plates which was plenty of food with a wide range of exciting flavors. The stand outs were definitely the Fromage Blanc with Meyer Lemon Chutney Toast and the Tuna Poke with spicy soy sauce and candied ginger and macadamia nuts!Special Features:
- why did i wait so long?petrusscotusVIPDined on 10/2/2014excellent fish and thoughtful vegetables. excellent pasta. wine by the glass could improve now my favourite in west center city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine Dinner!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014Starting with excellent Negroni,s at the bar, we had a choice for seating. Decided to sit in the back dining room where there is an open kitchen. Clean & smart & amazingly not too noisy. Excellent service, Waiter, Ethan, was very helpful in answering our questions about the menu & wine. Carpaccio (to die for) & Avocado with Spicy radish to start, then 2 small pasta plates. Best was the tagliatelle with duck ragout. Then a large plate, which we shared. Best venison, we had ever eaten, so tender, with braised brussel sprouts on a lovely sauce. For dessert we shared an individual apple pie with creme fraise? icecream. Delicious!! Dining room on 2nd floor with big windows facing street is another choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014Vernick has certainly taken its place among the best restaurants in Philadelphia. The menu is somewhat limited at first glance but the flavor s and combinations are excellent. It's amazing how they can make a simple chicken taste so good.Special Features:
- Excellent Service!CharlesDined on 9/28/2014Vernick was a excellent place to dine. I took my girlfriend there for our 1 year anniversary. I picked it because I had heard of it through some people I worked with before. It surely did not disappoint. The waiters and waitress were constantly checking up on us and they also offered us food compliments of the chef. I would recommend this place for anyone that loves good food and wants a nice night out.Special Features:
- A new favoritebrianmVIPDined on 9/23/2014Went here on a Tuesday night, so a bit less crowded but still lively. We waited at the bar for just a few minutes, but we didn't mind -- our drinks were well crafted and refreshing. Once we were seated, everything was perfect. The service is some of the best I've experienced, and the staff actually paid attention and had a sense of timing! I had the rabbit, my dining companion had the cod, both of which were excellent. I can't wait to go back and try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014The food was fantastic. We had several smaller plates and the tuna poke, lamb over grilled peaches, and fresh pasta with duck ragout were our favorites. Cocktails were good as well as several great wines by the glass. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good ambiancePhillyfoodenthusiastVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food was of course wonderful, perfect for our anniversary dinner! However, our table was about 2 inches from the table next to us, so it felt as though we were eating dinner with them too, which would usually be okay but not as good of a table for a romantic celebrationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome meal (as always)!SLC922VIPDined on 9/20/2014tomato and eggplant toast, tuna poke, seafood salad, romain and fig salad, tagliatelle with duck ragu, side mushrooms, side greens, blueberry pie, cab franc and coffee. What's not to like about that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively with good foodDiDoDined on 9/20/2014A lively restaurant which was buzzing on the evening we visited. Excellent food with a twist. Different menu with toasts, raw e.g. Oysters, small and large plates. Very different and worth a visit.Special Features:
- Best in PhillyhmorrowVIPDined on 9/20/2014The best restaurant in Philadelphia. The food is new and imaginative Every bite is bursting with flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is "fabulous"DeedeeDined on 9/18/2014From the moment we stepped in Vernick we are pleased. From the wine list, to the appetizers, salads, entre then dessert, each course was better than the one prior! Interesting combinations and flavors. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. We at at a table inside but the windows were open to the street so we could enjoy the beautiful night. I would highly recommend Vernick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillyDinerVIPDined on 9/18/2014Each time I eat at Vernick, I can't wait until I go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always...BillrVIPDined on 9/14/2014It's always tough to get in! But when you do score a resy? Wow!!! What a great meal! (Oops, this review just made my chances even harder to get a resy. Darn!!!)Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014We had an excellent experience here. Our waitress and other wait staff were very attentive and answered all our questions. I loved the beef tartare on toast and my husband loved the grilled romaine with figs and aged cheddar. Braised rabbit an sausage with swiss chard was savory and tender. The little mini ice cream sandwiches were just the right thing to end the meal on a high note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usualAlanDined on 9/9/2014We are regulars at Vernick, best food in Philly, staff is outstanding, wonderful young people who do an outstanding job and enrich the experience. Grilled Romaine and Chicken are a must, Toast is out of this world EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014Without question, my new favorite restaurant. At first I thought I may just be caught up in the elation from celebrating my anniversary, but after a few days of thinking it over, I know my feelings for this place are genuine. Service was outstanding. Hostess seated us directly in front of upstairs window, very romantic. Started with complimentary cava, then beef tartare on toast & tuna poke. Amazing. Meta #2 & Green Hour for cocktails. Polar opposites, but perfectly balanced. Egg fettuccine, mussels with couscous, and fish special for entrees. Incredible. Finished with blueberry pie and chocolate semifreddo. I don't think I've ever had another dining experience where every dish was so over the top. Unforgettable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestOscarVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is an exquisite restaurant. Everything is top notch. The food is inventive and beautifully presented. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Had heard so many good things about Vernick I was concerned that it would never live up to the hype. Well, it did not disappoint. Service could have been a bit better given we had a few 'dead spots' between plates. But the food itself was great! Highlights were the grilled romaine salad (you must have this salad), roasted pork (real nice, moist, not too salty) and the rhubarb crisp which is more like a pie. All other plates were good as well, just not as memorable as those mentioned. Enjoyed the experience and looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundKeitherVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything our group had was very, very good. From the chicken, to the rabbit, to the seafood appetizers. It was a very well done dining experience all around. Worth the wait. Definitely one of Philadelphia's finest.Special Features:
- Foodlover96foodlover96VIPDined on 9/3/2014Love everything about Vernick from the first day they opened Great food and amazing and friendly staffSpecial Features:
- InventiveJellyotterVIPDined on 8/30/2014Loved Vernick! Wonderful food and very nice service. Ethan was just great. Get the uni over scrambled eggs, and save room for the blueberry pie for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can you get it delivered?GovolsDined on 8/28/2014The food was fantastic. The server was aloof and careless. We asked for more of something and he told us he didn't want to bother the chef. Really? He's afraid of the chef? It was so loud upstairs I couldn't hear my friend talking. So, the place has changed from a calm, romantic dinner spot to one of those places that serves tables of 10 and has a chef the staff is afraid of. Does that mean I should be afraid of him too?Special Features:
- famishedDined on 8/28/2014The seafood and shellfish roast is amazingly generous and delicious. My server was very knowledgable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous...as always!MagentagirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014One course after another, the food delights! We shared several toasts and then moved onto small and large plates. My mother, a foody from way back, declared her wood grilled chicken the best she's ever had! And did I mention that the service is perfect?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDinerDudeDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I had dinner at Vernick before attending a play in Philadelphia. The restaurant is small, but we had a nice table on the second floor overlooking the street. The menu is not extensive, but there are some interesting choices. Everything we tried was delicious, and the service was extremely attentive and friendly. I can understand why Vernick has received so many positive reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantIguanetteDined on 8/20/2014Good restaurant. Well located. Original and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Philly!Barcalover4Dined on 8/19/2014Everything was outstanding! The food was excellent and the service was superb! It was my second time dining at Vernick and I enjoyed sitting in the back room by the kitchen. There was an energetic vibe from the kitchen and seeing all of the dishes come out was fun! I will highly recommend Vernick to all of my friends!Special Features:
- A find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Food: Interesting takes on traditional dishes. Everything was delicious. Drink: Wide selection, uncommon labels. Staff: InCREDibly knowledgable! Able to recommend excellent pairings of both cocktails and wines. Service was impeccable, personal, and attentive.Special Features:
- Interesting and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2014Couscous with tarragon cream and mussels, grilled sourdough with fromage blanc and pickled cherries, lamb confit and peach salad -- just some of the really great food we had. One of the best 5 restaurants I have eaten at in Philly.Special Features:
- Great for After Theatre DinnerWeenjoyeatingoutDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had dinner at Vernick after attending a musical. The toast appetizers were unique and delicious, especially the crab toast and fried green tomatoes toast. We both had black sea bass as our entree; it was excellent. Service was outstanding and the wait staff's knowledge of the menu made our dinning experience an enjoyable one. You should give Vernick a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner at VernickBaltPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014We started off with a corn purree shot amuse, perfect way to start the meal. We ordered the avocado and pepper toast along with the MD crab toast, both of which were exceptional. Next arrived the lamb belly with peach salad, the artic char with fried skin and dill, and the uni with warm scrambled eggs. The chef sent over the fluke crudo which was really nice of him. Everything was amazing. Entrees, a 1/2 chicken, the atlantic cod with shrimp dumplings in a lemongrass broth, and the braised rabbit leg and rabbit sausage. Wow, again everything was fantastic. Dessert included dark chocolate gelato, the cornbread pudding, the milk chocolate semifreddo, and the blueberry pie. Everything was fantastic but the star was the blueberry pie.Special Features: