Vermilion - Alexandria
1120 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Vermilion - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vermilionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7036849669x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday, Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (closed for lunch on Tuesdays);
Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Live music every Tuesday and Wednesday night starting around 10:00pm in the Lounge at Vermilion.
A word from Vermilion - Alexandria
Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Vermilion - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Vermilion - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (129)special occasion (115)romantic (92)neighborhood gem (91)notable wine list (56)great for lunch (33)great for brunch (21)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (12)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- What a great dinner!cmgdine79Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I came from Seattle for the weekend and were so amazed by this restaurant! The food was fresh, unique and delicious. The service was fantastic. I highly recommend Vermilion!Special Features:
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014Vermilion is still a favorite, particularly in the summer because they are so great at seasonal dishes. Went for brunch. The chilled corn soup was one the best chilled soups I've ever had. Hush puppies were light and delicious. The cured salmon benedict was also just right. Service is always great. If you can, ask to sit by the windows upstairs. It's my favorite place to sit, particularly during the day when you can see outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for ladies lunchNOVArsrDined on 9/10/2014Bosko M. was our waiter and was polite, professional, and informative. He described items on the menu making it all enticing to try. Attentive service. WONDERFUL food: visually appealing presentation, intriguing combination of items, and wonderfully satisfying. And then came the unique Corn Ice Cream...yummy! Gas lighting is nice touch to ambiance in this Old Town gem. Thanks to wait staff, chefs, and ladies who lunch...a terrific experience!Special Features:
- Nice meal, good serviceHCPEVIPDined on 9/9/2014I went there for dinner with a couple of colleagues from work during a weeknight - they weren't very busy. They had a decent wine selection. All the appetizers we ordered were great - both presentation and taste. However, the entrees were okay, at best, from a taste perspective - they weren't great. Service was very good. I would go there again and maybe try some different entrees.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014I dine at Vermilion 5-6 times a year. They lost their chef to the Iron Gate in DC about 9 months ago and haven't really found their footing since his departure. You used to be able to order anything and it was prepared very well. Now most of the dishes just seem a bit mediocre and it's just getting to the point where it's not worth keeping them in the rotation. Haven't had any bad meals there over the past year, but there are so many other options, even in Old Town. On one visit it must have been about 90 degrees in the upstairs dining room, no idea what was going on there, but it was noticeable to everyone.
- Great bar menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014While we first went to the main dining room, the menu there is pretty limited, so when one of our party asked if they could order off the bar menu, the waiter checked with the chef, who said no. Really??? Even for two people celebrating birthdays? Plus the waiter upstairs was very low-key and stuffy. So we decided to move down to the bar area downstairs. That experience was much better and the wait staff down there was great.Special Features:
- Casual eloquent at its bestBoomerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is one of Old Towns finest for lunch or dinner. This where I take friends and clients and have always been pleased. The staff are great without being overbearing or snobbish. The food is superior, and the atmosphere is comfortable and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchKathieDined on 9/5/2014I requested a table by the window for lunch with my dear friend and the staff was accommodating. My herb salad was very good -- a bit light on the chicken ($5 extra)...expected a bit more chicken. The pasta dish my friend ordered was very good -- a great light lunch.Special Features:
- The manager is asleep.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014This has long been among my favorite, if not my favorite Old Town restaurant, and last night, after eating great food served by a fantastic server, I'm leaving only 3 stars. The categories above are all worthy of 5, but initial push, to get past the gate keeper, was a bit of a high-drama way to kick off the evening. This marks the second time I've witnessed an issue with a staff member in the last two years--this tells me it's a problem with the management. Hope they get it under control, because everything else is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- President & CEOVicBDined on 9/3/2014Always a great option for lunch, dinner or drinks. Great location and wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great food, iffy serviceBeagleMomDined on 9/1/2014The food we had at Vermilion was somewhat unique and extremely well executed. With an appetizer and entree, you leave completely full and happy. Unfortunately, though we were warmly greeted upon arrival, the service was notably slow. It took over 8 minutes from being seated to someone bringing us water or introducing themselves as our server. We had already decided on what food we would order by the time the drink orders were taken, and we waited quite a while for those drinks (for some reason, longer for the champagne than for the mixed drink). Once we ordered, our food came at a good pace, and the wait staff was always pleasant. Other than the slow start on service, the experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 9/1/2014As always the food was excellent. The charred squid and the grouper were perfectly prepared. My wife's lamb was delicious. The only negative was the service. The bottle of wine we ordered came after the amuse-bouche and almost missed the appetizer course. There was an inordinate wait for the main course to the point that even the waiter apologized. I'm not sure this group service concept where each course is delivered by a different person is working for the restaurant or the patrons. It comes across like no one is in charge and thus no one is responsible.Special Features:
- Wonderful Tasting MenuAnonymousDined on 9/1/2014Several in our group ordered the multi-course tasting menu and every course was properly portioned and delicious. The wine pairings were also perfect for each set of flavors. Service was friendly and attentive, but not rushed. A perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VermillioncindersailVIPDined on 8/31/2014My first taste impression was the marvelous amuse bouche presented .That single bite of gravlax on toast was an explosion of flavor that perfectly kicked off our meal. The grouper that I ordered was tender and flaky. It was surrounded by pickled vegetable and sauteed baby bock choy in a light broth. The predominant flavor was the brine of the vegetables which when mingled with the broth tasted very good.. The salmon tasted wild caught and was prepared simply and deliciously. We thoroughly enjoyed the lemon poppy seed Ricotta fritters for dessert. The fritters are light airy and delicious paired with grilled peaches, ice cream and lemon sauce. Our bill for two with no alcohol came to an even 100.00 before tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very reliable!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014We've dined here on several occasions for lunch or dinner and never been disappointed. This was our first opportunity for brunch but the standards remained high. Vermilion remains one of our top ten go-to restaurants in the WMA.Special Features:
- Great food! great service!prof1foodieVIPDined on 8/31/2014My friends and I got three different items from the brunch menu, we shared plates and were all blown away at how delicious the food was!!! The hush puppies were especially good! The server was really great at accommodating food allergies! I will definitely be coming back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No toddlers at dinner, pleaseDissatisfiedDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is expensive and aims to be sophisticated. Why then did we have to experience a six year old jumping up and down on the floor between our table and the parents? The waiters announce and describe each dish in an attempt to replicate fine dining but this is contradicted by a squealing, jumping child nearby. Please put the children on the first floor or better yet do not allow any children less than ten years old in the restaurant in the evening. This is not a family restaurant or at least it doesn't represent itself to be that. The food was good though quite pricey. Also the service though congenial was increasingly slower as the meal progressed. Maybe more waiters are needed when all tables are booked.
- Another good one in Alexandria!joolsjunkDined on 8/27/2014A terrific and memorable evening. Food, wine, service all excellent. Imaginative menu and so well presented. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really over-hypedModestgastronomeDined on 8/26/2014The host refused to seat us in the bar as I asked to sit in a quieter area as my guest and I are both a little hard of hearing. Instead "was a better fit and not noisy" in the main dining area. It was incredibly noisy. The restaurant was not all that busy and he could have sat us at a 4-top instead. The drinks menu had food ecrusted all over it. In addition, the waiter kept interrupting us at the most inopportune times. The shrimp appetizer was incredibly small for 2 people. My friend's plate, the rockfish? had a large smear of pesto on the side that clearly looked like something slipped but they didn't have the courtesy to wipe the plate down. It looked like it fell on the floor and they randomnly threw it back on the plate.Special Features:
- Great for lunch but...CapitanSourceVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great food but very limited lunch menu. Wish they had a wider selection. Couldn't ask for better serviceSpecial Features:
- Worth every penny!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014I went here for restaurant week and enjoyed every bite! Each bit was filled with an explosion of flavor. The staff was professional and presented each dish with great attention to detail. I am still savoring my meal 2 days later. This must be on your list of places to try...because once you do...you will be hooked and will want to go back again and again!Special Features:
- Excellent Food in Nice Portionsgood4uVIPDined on 8/24/2014Went for Restaurant Week and would definitely go back again. Atmosphere is so-so - nothing special - but amazing service and great food.Special Features:
- Great Food & Great Atmospherejtj3Dined on 8/24/2014We came here for restaurant week- the food was spectacular. Can't beat the salmon or the sirloin. I especially loved the chilled crab and corn soup and the dessert. We tried the fritters and they were delicious! I will definitely come back again. (Oh, and the bread basket rocks)Special Features:
- Lovely Birthday Dinner SpotFoodloverDined on 8/23/2014The true way to know how a restaurant feels about it's customers is by going on Restaurant Week. Vermillion didn't skimp on the portions, had some of their best options on the menu and service was wonderful. I had noted on my Open Table reservation that it was my husband's birthday and they were SO nice - everyone wished him a happy bday, they brought him a dessert with a candle (didn't sing, which for hubs is good!) AND gave him a card. Then the food - my corn chowder was to die for and his pork rillette was fantastic. His salmon dish was excellent though my steak was so-so and the kale was oversalted. My dessert, the donuts, were AWESOME. Nick's PBJ thing was only okay. The bar was great. Definitely a special occasion place!Special Features:
- Special!HappyLittleDinerDined on 8/23/2014I took my mom here for her birthday because I knew it would be a great night, and boy, did y'all go above and beyond! The meal was wonderful, the wine delicious, the atmosphere charming, but what really stood out is how special you made my mom feel-- everyone was so kind to her, there was a candle in her desert, and (and this really sealed the deal) a handwritten note card wishing her a happy birthday! Really well done, Vermilion! I was very impressed and would absolutely return.Special Features:
- ImaSopranoVIPDined on 8/23/2014I wish they had offered more than just three entrees for Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic meal, nice servicewatsonmpDined on 8/22/2014Great meal here with my husband. each had 3 courses off restaurant week menu. Lovely presentation for pork tillage with corn salsa over grits, salmon over veggies, and delicate ricotta fritters for dessert. My husband enjoyed chilled corn soup, and very tender sirloin for his entrée. A great meal with nice cocktails before dinner too. Decent wine list as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysallytayDined on 8/22/2014We've gone many times for special occasions and went with friends for Restaurant Week. The food was great with a variety of choices and all items from the regular menu with generous portions. I'm always nervous that restaurants are going to be stingy for restaurant week but that was not the case. Service was great and we'll be back soon for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The chairs at the window tables suck! Your fighting the entire experience, just to keep from sliding off the damn things. Wine list was good, but our appetizers came out before/right at the same time...(to the wrong table) as the bottle of wine. About 10-15 min after ordering. The chilled corn and crab soup was awesome! As well as the chilled marinated shrimp! Entrees where a hit, pork tenderloin and the grouper and the desert pb n jelly was phenomenal! Our server was perfect! Very cordial and professional. The staff was great as a whole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck 3720Duck3720Dined on 8/21/2014One of our favorite spots for fine dining. We usually sit up stairs (somewhat quieter away from the entrance/bar area) but took a seat at the high-top tables in the front of the restaurant. Took a few minutes to get comfortable in the stools (w/backs) as you had the feeling that you were sliding out on to the floor. That feeling passed. The meal was great! We tried separate appetizers and desserts and found both selections to be of equal merit. The steak entre was cooked to perfection. Cocktails and a bottle of wine, not rushed, and the server that was very attentive.Special Features:
- It was as good as I'd heard it was!MargaretVIPDined on 8/18/2014My husband & I had been wanting to go to Vermillion since moving to Alexandria; it's a friend's favorite OT restaurant. We usually just decide to go out at the spur of the moment, so we had a hard time getting into Vermillion, because it is often booked well in advance. When I saw that it was on the list of Restaurant Week restaurants, I went ahead and booked it! It did not disappoint. I'm gluten intolerant, so the limited menu for Restaurant Week is even more limited for me. I chose the chilled corn and crab soup (yum), the risotto and the PB&J dessert (they had to alter it slightly) - also delicious, as long as you like peanut butter! The risotto was a little bland, but still good enough that I wished for more! Server was terrific.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week GemAlexandriaFoodie21VIPDined on 8/17/2014Vermillion was on my "to-do" list of top 100 restaurants rated by Washingtonian Magazine. When I saw that it was new to Alexandria's Restaurant Week I made a reservation immediately. We had the prix fixe menu of chilled cream of corn soup that was superb in its presentation and taste. The rim of creme fraiche hidden inside the bowl with a scoop of finely diced veggies and crab gave the soup depth and dimension. I had salmon with root veggies that was cooked to perfection (medium) and was the freshest fish I have had in a very long time. My husband's equally delicious sirloin was delicious as well. Dessert was lemon poppy seed fritters with a swoosh of key lime curd and ricotta ice cream - fabulous. It was a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Vermilion is greatLizinAlexandriaDined on 8/17/2014Visited during Restaurant Week. I have been wanting to go, but too pricey normally. The special week menu was delicious--I had cold corn chowder, salmon, poppyseed fritters and ice cream for dessert. The food was so good and the presentation was lovely. Wine choices were unusual and expensive, but a generous glass, so one was enough. Great wait staff--helpful and available, but did not bug us. We were there early (5:45) so it was quiet. Got noisy toward the end. We were upstairs by the window and that was cool. Stairs are very steep. This would be a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unrealized potentialbifurcationVIPDined on 8/16/2014(This is a restaurant week review, but they didn't seem that busy, so I'm going to hold them to normal standards.) Vermilion is close to being a really solid restaurant. The kitchen is on the right track, with some creative, thoughtful dishes. But there were some major off notes, like cold grits with the rillette starter and unevenly cooked beef. (The desserts, however, were an unqualified delight. Pastry chef killed it.) Likewise with service -- friendly, but lacking polish. And weird timing -- we got starters immediately, then bread, then a long delay, then mains. I would definitely consider coming back, but until I hear things have been tuned up, it's not at the top of my list.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunch!GooseDined on 8/16/2014Amazing cold crab/corn soup and outstanding baked eggs. Plus a yummy chocolate dessert. It was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Restaurant week gemJojaDined on 8/15/2014We went for Restaurant week and were not disappointed. The choices they had were plentiful, they didn't try to upsale on the menu, and the portions were appropriate. The food was just as well prepared & presented as the other times we've been there. We really enjoyed the servers, they were attentive, but not overbearing, they made great recommendations for drinks that paired with the food quite well. We will be back!Special Features:
- Another Restaurant Week Hit!PutzeeDined on 8/15/2014Vermillion, always an excellent choice, was delightful last Friday evening. A few minutes early for our reservation, we were seated promptly and showered with caring attention, which continued throughout the meal - which was a show stopper! We chose from the special Restaurant Week menu and enjoyed every morsel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week August 2014SandigeeDined on 8/15/2014Prompt and attentive service, hangar steak and salmon perfected, ricotta fritters for my Italian friend were, exceptional. The basil gimlet was a drink I'd never had before. It was quite smooth and I would have again. Vermillion, you offered a superb quality and presentation. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceliladinesDined on 8/15/2014The food, atmosphere and service was amazing! I think that timing had everything to do with it! We were there when the restaurant opened so we had our choice of location in the restaurant. Additionally our waitress wasn't too busy. The starters were fantastic, and the entrees were good but not amazing. I had the hanger steak and it tasted more southern than sophisticated. My husband liked his salmon but thought that it lacked excitement! Our starters were good enough to return though!Special Features:
- Celebrated our anniversary2inDCDined on 8/14/2014There's a reason the President took the First Lady to Vermilion for Valentine's Day. We celebrated our anniversary here and had no regrets whatsoever. Our service, food and wine were incredible and the atmosphere is very romantic. We were greeted with champagne and a congratulatory note from the restaurant, and for dessert the chef gave a complimentary dish prepared just for us. Highly recommended for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.