Vermilion - Alexandria
1120 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Vermilion - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vermilionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7036849669x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday, Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (closed for lunch on Tuesdays);
Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Live music every Tuesday and Wednesday night starting around 10:00pm in the Lounge at Vermilion.
A word from Vermilion - Alexandria
Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Vermilion - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Vermilion - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (138)special occasion (129)romantic (100)neighborhood gem (92)notable wine list (60)great for lunch (38)great for brunch (25)hot spot (19)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (9)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Really over-hypedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The host refused to seat us in the bar as I asked to sit in a quieter area as my guest and I are both a little hard of hearing. Instead "was a better fit and not noisy" in the main dining area. It was incredibly noisy. The restaurant was not all that busy and he could have sat us at a 4-top instead. The drinks menu had food ecrusted all over it. In addition, the waiter kept interrupting us at the most inopportune times. The shrimp appetizer was incredibly small for 2 people. My friend's plate, the rockfish? had a large smear of pesto on the side that clearly looked like something slipped but they didn't have the courtesy to wipe the plate down. It looked like it fell on the floor and they randomnly threw it back on the plate.Special Features:
- Great for lunch but...CapitanSourceVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great food but very limited lunch menu. Wish they had a wider selection. Couldn't ask for better serviceSpecial Features:
- Worth every penny!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014I went here for restaurant week and enjoyed every bite! Each bit was filled with an explosion of flavor. The staff was professional and presented each dish with great attention to detail. I am still savoring my meal 2 days later. This must be on your list of places to try...because once you do...you will be hooked and will want to go back again and again!Special Features:
- Excellent Food in Nice Portionsgood4uVIPDined on 8/24/2014Went for Restaurant Week and would definitely go back again. Atmosphere is so-so - nothing special - but amazing service and great food.Special Features:
- Great Food & Great Atmospherejtj3Dined on 8/24/2014We came here for restaurant week- the food was spectacular. Can't beat the salmon or the sirloin. I especially loved the chilled crab and corn soup and the dessert. We tried the fritters and they were delicious! I will definitely come back again. (Oh, and the bread basket rocks)Special Features:
- Lovely Birthday Dinner SpotFoodloverDined on 8/23/2014The true way to know how a restaurant feels about it's customers is by going on Restaurant Week. Vermillion didn't skimp on the portions, had some of their best options on the menu and service was wonderful. I had noted on my Open Table reservation that it was my husband's birthday and they were SO nice - everyone wished him a happy bday, they brought him a dessert with a candle (didn't sing, which for hubs is good!) AND gave him a card. Then the food - my corn chowder was to die for and his pork rillette was fantastic. His salmon dish was excellent though my steak was so-so and the kale was oversalted. My dessert, the donuts, were AWESOME. Nick's PBJ thing was only okay. The bar was great. Definitely a special occasion place!Special Features:
- Special!HappyLittleDinerDined on 8/23/2014I took my mom here for her birthday because I knew it would be a great night, and boy, did y'all go above and beyond! The meal was wonderful, the wine delicious, the atmosphere charming, but what really stood out is how special you made my mom feel-- everyone was so kind to her, there was a candle in her desert, and (and this really sealed the deal) a handwritten note card wishing her a happy birthday! Really well done, Vermilion! I was very impressed and would absolutely return.Special Features:
- ImaSopranoDined on 8/23/2014I wish they had offered more than just three entrees for Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic meal, nice servicewatsonmpDined on 8/22/2014Great meal here with my husband. each had 3 courses off restaurant week menu. Lovely presentation for pork tillage with corn salsa over grits, salmon over veggies, and delicate ricotta fritters for dessert. My husband enjoyed chilled corn soup, and very tender sirloin for his entrée. A great meal with nice cocktails before dinner too. Decent wine list as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysallytayDined on 8/22/2014We've gone many times for special occasions and went with friends for Restaurant Week. The food was great with a variety of choices and all items from the regular menu with generous portions. I'm always nervous that restaurants are going to be stingy for restaurant week but that was not the case. Service was great and we'll be back soon for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The chairs at the window tables suck! Your fighting the entire experience, just to keep from sliding off the damn things. Wine list was good, but our appetizers came out before/right at the same time...(to the wrong table) as the bottle of wine. About 10-15 min after ordering. The chilled corn and crab soup was awesome! As well as the chilled marinated shrimp! Entrees where a hit, pork tenderloin and the grouper and the desert pb n jelly was phenomenal! Our server was perfect! Very cordial and professional. The staff was great as a whole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck 3720Duck3720Dined on 8/21/2014One of our favorite spots for fine dining. We usually sit up stairs (somewhat quieter away from the entrance/bar area) but took a seat at the high-top tables in the front of the restaurant. Took a few minutes to get comfortable in the stools (w/backs) as you had the feeling that you were sliding out on to the floor. That feeling passed. The meal was great! We tried separate appetizers and desserts and found both selections to be of equal merit. The steak entre was cooked to perfection. Cocktails and a bottle of wine, not rushed, and the server that was very attentive.Special Features:
- It was as good as I'd heard it was!MargaretVIPDined on 8/18/2014My husband & I had been wanting to go to Vermillion since moving to Alexandria; it's a friend's favorite OT restaurant. We usually just decide to go out at the spur of the moment, so we had a hard time getting into Vermillion, because it is often booked well in advance. When I saw that it was on the list of Restaurant Week restaurants, I went ahead and booked it! It did not disappoint. I'm gluten intolerant, so the limited menu for Restaurant Week is even more limited for me. I chose the chilled corn and crab soup (yum), the risotto and the PB&J dessert (they had to alter it slightly) - also delicious, as long as you like peanut butter! The risotto was a little bland, but still good enough that I wished for more! Server was terrific.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week GemAlexandriaFoodie21VIPDined on 8/17/2014Vermillion was on my "to-do" list of top 100 restaurants rated by Washingtonian Magazine. When I saw that it was new to Alexandria's Restaurant Week I made a reservation immediately. We had the prix fixe menu of chilled cream of corn soup that was superb in its presentation and taste. The rim of creme fraiche hidden inside the bowl with a scoop of finely diced veggies and crab gave the soup depth and dimension. I had salmon with root veggies that was cooked to perfection (medium) and was the freshest fish I have had in a very long time. My husband's equally delicious sirloin was delicious as well. Dessert was lemon poppy seed fritters with a swoosh of key lime curd and ricotta ice cream - fabulous. It was a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Vermilion is greatLizinAlexandriaDined on 8/17/2014Visited during Restaurant Week. I have been wanting to go, but too pricey normally. The special week menu was delicious--I had cold corn chowder, salmon, poppyseed fritters and ice cream for dessert. The food was so good and the presentation was lovely. Wine choices were unusual and expensive, but a generous glass, so one was enough. Great wait staff--helpful and available, but did not bug us. We were there early (5:45) so it was quiet. Got noisy toward the end. We were upstairs by the window and that was cool. Stairs are very steep. This would be a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unrealized potentialbifurcationVIPDined on 8/16/2014(This is a restaurant week review, but they didn't seem that busy, so I'm going to hold them to normal standards.) Vermilion is close to being a really solid restaurant. The kitchen is on the right track, with some creative, thoughtful dishes. But there were some major off notes, like cold grits with the rillette starter and unevenly cooked beef. (The desserts, however, were an unqualified delight. Pastry chef killed it.) Likewise with service -- friendly, but lacking polish. And weird timing -- we got starters immediately, then bread, then a long delay, then mains. I would definitely consider coming back, but until I hear things have been tuned up, it's not at the top of my list.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunch!GooseDined on 8/16/2014Amazing cold crab/corn soup and outstanding baked eggs. Plus a yummy chocolate dessert. It was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Another Restaurant Week Hit!PutzeeDined on 8/15/2014Vermillion, always an excellent choice, was delightful last Friday evening. A few minutes early for our reservation, we were seated promptly and showered with caring attention, which continued throughout the meal - which was a show stopper! We chose from the special Restaurant Week menu and enjoyed every morsel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week August 2014SandigeeDined on 8/15/2014Prompt and attentive service, hangar steak and salmon perfected, ricotta fritters for my Italian friend were, exceptional. The basil gimlet was a drink I'd never had before. It was quite smooth and I would have again. Vermillion, you offered a superb quality and presentation. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceliladinesDined on 8/15/2014The food, atmosphere and service was amazing! I think that timing had everything to do with it! We were there when the restaurant opened so we had our choice of location in the restaurant. Additionally our waitress wasn't too busy. The starters were fantastic, and the entrees were good but not amazing. I had the hanger steak and it tasted more southern than sophisticated. My husband liked his salmon but thought that it lacked excitement! Our starters were good enough to return though!Special Features:
- Celebrated our anniversary2inDCDined on 8/14/2014There's a reason the President took the First Lady to Vermilion for Valentine's Day. We celebrated our anniversary here and had no regrets whatsoever. Our service, food and wine were incredible and the atmosphere is very romantic. We were greeted with champagne and a congratulatory note from the restaurant, and for dessert the chef gave a complimentary dish prepared just for us. Highly recommended for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014It took a very long time for our main course to arrive, something that's never happened there for me, so I chalked it up as them having a bad day. But the server was excellent and the food, as usual, inventive and excellent.Special Features:
- Great!BozoDined on 8/13/2014We'll be back bringing friends. Open Table wants me to flesh this out to at least 50 characters.Special Features:
- One of Old Town's BestWannaBfoodieDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I had gone a few weeks ago for our anniversary and enjoyed the tasting menu with wine pairing. Then I took my team from work there for restaurant week lunch. So delicious and love the sustainability of the menu. Vermilion will always be one of my favorite restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Food : good, service : really slowNishaDined on 8/13/2014After we were seated, our server did not acknowledge us for 15 minutes. She then dropped off water and then said she would be back in a few minutes to take our orders. When she did come back, I told her we were in a hurry, and to just pack our desserts to go. She didn't get the hint. When she served us our entrees, she said she had just put in the desserts and they would be out shortly. Shortly meant 5 minutes after they cleared our plates, then we waited another 10 minutes for our check and another 15 minutes to process our bills. The food was great, but I don't think I can go back lunch on a workday. Maybe if I had more time on a weekend or evening.Special Features:
- Review of after dinner cocktailsDiner86Dined on 8/9/2014We went here on a Saturday night, so my review is confined to cocktails and the limited late night menu. The craft cocktails were creative and quite enjoyable. They change them each month to ensure variety and highlight seasonal, fresh ingredients. Among the four members of my party, I think we tried six cocktails. All were well made. The ambience was great, too. There were enough people around to evidence popularity, but we could hear each other without shouting. I think we must have picked the two dud items on the late night menu, though. This "dud" review came after a few of their wonderful drinks, when we usually are not very picky about food. Their regular menu looked very appetizing, though. I would like to return to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie worthyManInMotionDined on 8/9/2014Nice ambience: handsome bar; decor highlights Old Town detail. Were seated at a quiet upstairs table. Nice menu selections, excellent treatment and plating. Attentive staff: kitchen presented an on-the-house taste sampling (food allergy appropriate); waiter helped with wine pairing - consistent brand awareness. Top-notch chef presence evident throughout. Very pleased with Vermilion as my choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014We ended up eating at the bar with small plates, byt each one was great ! We had an excellent hanger steak, calamari and the hush puppies, we could have had the whole appetizer menu ! Much appreciated and excellent quality !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok foodplatoalabocaDined on 8/6/2014The ambiance and service were both quite good but the food was a disappointment. We had the tasting menu and started well with a beet salad. The next two courses had issues. The fish was way overcooked and the pork was under seasoned. The dessert was good but by then the meal had taken a wrong turn. The dishes were all well conceived, someone knows what they are doing, but the chef that day was just off.Special Features:
- Unique Menu!NYCDine10280Dined on 8/3/2014Vermilion is a fantastic restaurant with even better deserts. Service was very good and the ambiance/decor are very warm and welcoming. Perfect spot for entertaining clients.Special Features:
- Food not so flavourful!ViennaFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Was disappointed in the taste of the food. It was bland and not flavourful. Also green beans seemed to be added to many of the courses. Presentation was nice. Portions were small. I wouldn't return.Special Features:
- ExcellentAlexandriaResidentDined on 7/28/2014Had dinner on a Monday night for our one-month wedding anniversary. Food was excellent and the service really went above-and-beyond. Will definitely return in the future. Atmosphere was very pleasant and all the dishes we had were unique and delicious. Same held true for cocktails and deserts. It really made the evening.Special Features:
- special dinnercycle7Dined on 7/26/2014This was a special occasion dinner. It was very good food and they took great care of us. The tasting menu with wine paring was fantastic.Special Features:
- bgfcbgfcDined on 7/24/2014Two friends took me to celebrate my birthday at Vermilion. We agreed it was a perfect choice. Our waiter was superb and enhanced our lovely time with his warm hospitality and good food suggestions as well as prompt attention. We all ordered the hangar steak entree - each steak was cooked to our individual requests. Desserts were just the right portion-size. The staff even wrote out a lovely birthday card for an extra nice touch! Everything was wonderful and we can't wait to go back there -- we won't even wait for another celebratory occasion. You will enjoy the Vermilion dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunriseSeekerDined on 7/21/2014The special treat from the chef at the beginning of our dining experience is always tasty, and a really nice touch. Food is ALWAYS TOP NOTCH! Best of all, this spectacular restaurant is just west of route 1 and east of King St. Metro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food- service was brusquehungrygourmetDined on 7/21/2014On a previous special occasion I had fallen in love with Vermilion. The ambiance is elegantly rustic without being pretentious. The server had been so helpful, warm, and accommodating to a guest with a long list of questions. And the zingy cocktails, inventive salad, delectable spring pea soup, and lamb, pasta, and fish dishes were remarkable. The wine list offered many delights. This time around I was looking forward to impressing some out of town guests. The spring pea risotto and mushroom appetizer was magical, but the cocktails and fish entrees weren't particularly noteworthy. Most disappointing, this time around the server was brusque, and that distracted from the warmth of the experience.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchCAP137Dined on 7/20/2014This place is just perfect for Sunday brunch. Terrific menu items. Sounds silly but the scrambled eggs are absolutely the best ever. I always get them when we go as they are remarkable. My wife got the cheese grits and baked eggs dish w/ chirizo (sp?) and mushrooms and it was delicious as well. Service is terrific! Ask for a window seat because otherwise the place is kind of dark especially down stairs.Special Features:
- A very special treatbeejpowersDined on 7/19/2014Vermilion is a nice place to have a special dinner. But it's become too expensive to consider for just getting dinner with no other objective other than to eat. It must be an event dinner now for us. Regardless, the menu is very nice. Several dishes in every category, lots of local(ish) ingredients, and it's always changing. The cocktails are magnificent. Lots of flavor and lots of alcohol. If I were insanely rich, I would eat there more often. But for the special occasion, it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!fdwgDined on 7/19/2014Went there Sat evening for a birthday celebration, and the food and service were exceptional. I had a risotto appetizer and grouper as an entree, and both were delicious! Vermilion is always our go to place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great serviceArlingtonCoupleDined on 7/19/2014My son and I ate here for my wife's birthday. All three meals were great. The service was attentive but unobtrusive. Appetizers were outstanding -- especially pork cheeks recommended by waiter and beet salad. We had three different entrees: grouper lamb and steak, all very good. And the desserts were among best I have had in DC. A deconstructed lemon meringue pie and a Nutella cheesecake. Finally they accommodated our gluten free preferences easily and smoothly.Special Features: