Vermilion - Alexandria
1120 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Vermilion - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vermilionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7036849669x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday, Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (closed for lunch on Tuesdays);
Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: For those who have enjoyed dining at Vermilion and wish to have us cater your next event, we are pleased to partner with 550 Events & Provisions, a chef-driven, full-service catering and events company. As a member of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s family of award-winning restaurants, 550 possesses an unparalleled depth and breadth of experience, as well as culinary talent. For inquiries and more information, contact 550 Events & Provisions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: For inquiries regarding private events, please contact our Private Dining Manager, Rebecca Chuvalas at email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Rebecca Chuvalas x
- Entertainment: Live music every Tuesday and Wednesday night starting around 10:00 PM in the Lounge at Vermilion.
A word from Vermilion - Alexandria
Vermilion offers deceptively simple modern American cooking in the heart of Old Town, Alexandria. From Chef William Morris' regional cuisine using local, farm-raised products whenever possible to the warmth of its ambiance and the gracious hospitality its staff brings to the table, Vermilion serves as an ideal location for a casual weekday dinner, a special occasion destination or simply a great gathering place for drinks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Vermilion - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Vermilion - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)special occasion (116)neighborhood gem (103)romantic (98)notable wine list (57)great for lunch (34)hot spot (24)good for groups (21)great for brunch (21)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Perfect BirthdayJoyliseDined on 10/24/2014Celebrated my husbands 34th birthday here, he was wished a happy birthday when we checked in, plus we got a delicious dessert and a card. The ambiance was great, service was excellent and the food was delicious. My only wish is that they had more vegetarian options. There were 2 of the main courses where the meat could be taken off. I went with the half portion of risotto. It was really good, but I just wished for something specifically vegetarian that would've been a little more hearty, like with some mushrooms or something. Besides that, we loved it and it made for a special night :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedJoanieDined on 10/22/2014My husband and I had different dining experiences. He was pleased with his orders - charred octopus, perfectly cooked steak. I, on the other hand, was underwhelmed with my choices - sweet gem salad which was touted by our server but was not much more than tender romaine on a slab of goat cheese with good old walnuts and raisins sprinkled on top and a forgettable vinaigrette. My fluke was okay - passable if I had cooked it at home but nothing exciting. I would expect a more complex entree from this restaurant. The spinach underneath was too oily. The eggplant was delicious. Our dessert, the sweet potato panna cotta, made up for the excitement the rest of my dinner lacked.
- Probably the best in AlexandriaasherVIPDined on 10/21/2014Having been to a number of the fine dining venues in the area, I would rate it as probably the best! Steak to salmon were well prepared. The menu is interesting and the preparation very well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablePeterG24Dined on 10/20/2014The tasting menu and wine compliment were superb. Excellent service and friendly atmosphere. Celebrated our wedding anniversary in style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- justmehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014overall, the food was too complex which took away from the parts of it that were very well done. we had a simple meal with fluke and a green salad. the fish was lovely - very fresh tasting and a nice mix of accompaniments but too salty. dessert was not good - lemon meringue - waaay too many directions - not enough lemon. it was a challenge to order - there seemed to be too much going on with the dishes so they were more theatrical than well thought out for eating. i'm used to fine dining in sf & portland so farm to table/great ingredients is something i take for granted. would like to see this resto pull back a bit and offer truly great food with more flavor. the space was just fine and service was well attentive. bussers were a bit stiff.
- Fantastic little findNYCFoodieDined on 10/20/2014I stumbled upon this little gem as was so thankful as it was an incredible meal. Everything was great from the second we walked in to the second we left. Staff was so friendly, professional and attentive. Food was absolutely scrumptious. My only complaint is that instead of dining here 2 nights in a row I went to an expensive french restaurant that was a complete disappointment. Next time I am in town, I will not make that mistake again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightJessipeeVIPDined on 10/17/2014A friend and I enjoyed Vermilion on a Friday night. The service was knowledgable, helpful and attentive without being solicitous (which is to say Europe in style, and that is a compliment). The food was creative and delicious. We had the tasting menu, which was perfect, since I could not decide which of the terrific entrees we wanted. First rate and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent serviceSamIAmDined on 10/16/2014The meal was outstanding, the service was outstanding. I had mentioned in my reservation that it was my wife's birthday and the staff provided a dessert and a card. A lovely touch. Everything was exquisite and delicious and we will be going again.Special Features:
- WOW!StewMoonDined on 10/15/20144th Visit there and it always seems to amaze me at the variety and depth of capability which comes from the Chef and staff there! This is our anniversary/birthday place and it never disappoints!! Even when we move away we will have to travel up once a year to this superb venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FCgourmetDined on 10/13/2014We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary with lunch. The service food and beverages were perfect. We will definitely return, long overdue trying Vermillion for the 1st time. Would like to have a dinner date next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner as always...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014We've been eating at Vermilion for a decade now, and we're always pleased with the experience. The food & service are reliably top notch, and we always leave with at least one "how did they make that?!" experience from each meal. The only reason the food doesn't get 5 stars this time around is food temperature. We both ordered the same entree -- roast magret duck breast. Mine was medium rare, my wife's medium. I think they must've started cooking both at the same time because mine was served lukewarm while my wife's came out hot. Picky, but we're paying top dollar so we feel it's warranted. The dessert we shared (a tweaked lemon meringue pie) was ridiculously delicious, so we left on a high note. In all, another wonderful meal at Vermilion.Special Features:
- WonderfulFuzzybuddhaDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I were in on Saturday (10/11/14) to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed in the least. The food was exquisite, the wine selection was vast but wide ranging to match anything you were eating. The wait staff was perfect, around enough to help, but not around all the time. I had the pan seared salmon with sweet potato fritters and roasted beets. My mouth is watering thinking about them. My wife had the English pea risotto. Absolutely delightful, perfectly cooked. Thank you for allowing us to have such a grand time for our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and cozyMosieVIPDined on 10/10/2014Fantastic food with a fun view of king street from second floor and the food came swiftly and was absolutely delicious!!! Will definitely return and will definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous- Must GoBrianTDined on 10/10/2014Best date night dinner in years!!! Service and food were spectacular. Great wine and beer selections. Loved the atmosphere and genuine friendly service. Food came out quickly and was very good. Don't skip this place. You MUST go!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014The general manager brought out an additional appetizer on the house for us because our order was placed right after a large party's order. They wanted to make sure we weren't waiting for too long. Our main course came out in great time. We probably wouldn't have even noticed the wait time, but we were thankful for the great service! Vermilion is our favorite special-occasion spot!Special Features:
- Absolutely everything expectedPeppersMomDined on 10/5/2014Four of us dined after a long day driving and a long meeting. It was a perfect way to brighten and end our day. Everything was exquisitely prepared and presented. Salads, entrees and desserts were all delicious. I had brunch at Vermillion about a year ago and it was also delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent Anniversary DinnerhungrygourmetDined on 10/4/2014My spouse and I had the loveliest anniversary dinner at Vermilion. We were greeted warmly and seated at an intimate table by the window.The ambiance, as always, was elegant without being pretentious. We enjoyed the duck and tenderloin entrees, noting the careful seasoning and complementary sides that enhanced the cuts of meat. The wine list produced several notable accompaniments for our meal. Our evening ended with an an especially unexpected delight- our server brought a complementary dish dessert of ricotta fritters when I had trouble choosing between the fritters and the lemon meringue. Thank you, Vermilion, for such a romantic and delicious evening.Special Features:
- A Special Mealluv2trynewDined on 10/4/2014Vermilion is a very special place to dine, in the middle of Old Town, Alexandria. Everything about it is perfect, including the ambiance, the delicious and well-presented food, the great table service and knowledgeable servers, and the relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. I look forward to going back often, especially for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperiencekeithclarkDined on 10/3/2014All four people in my party raved about the food. My duck entree was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014We went to Vermillion for a romantic evening and had a great experience. Service was excellent! Thank you and you shall see us again.Special Features:
- Special Anniversarymseiler2002Dined on 9/27/2014I happened to mention that we would be celebrating our anniversary and Vermilion took very good care of us. We really appreciated the attention to detail and the recognition that it was a special day for us. Thanks, so much! The food was wonderful and the service was very attentive, but not overwhelming.Special Features:
- okay for dinnerjimmVIPDined on 9/24/2014Nothing too special. Had the gnocchi Bolognese, more like sloppy joe sauce. Pork loin arrived overcooked but they graciously re-did it. Marshmallow ice cream was more like caramel ice cream. Martini and wine were good. Seems like a lot of restaurants are trying very hard to use low cost ingredients (do they have to be so obvious about it?) and avoid herbs.Special Features:
- Meets high expectationsdinerpsDined on 9/23/2014The food we ordered was very good - sweet gems appetizer and lamb entree for one, and mussel soup as appetizer and pork loin entree for second diner. We shared a bottle of Shiraz from Washington State recommended by our very good server who was attentive, informative and friendly. Other servers were equally attentive and all tables seemed to be served efficiently but with attention to a pleasant but not showy dining experience. As this was a special occasion with an out-of-town friend, we then splurged on two desserts to share: blue berry tart with corn ice cream (really tasted like corn), and fritters (to die for) with vanilla bean ice cream - lovely, lovely, lovely.Special Features:
- Excellent!Kurtz1Dined on 9/19/2014Went for my wife's birthday and it was awesome! Great hospitality and incredible food. Would highly recommend as a place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerSknnytDined on 9/19/2014Arrived at 8. Host was suspicious then became friendly when we announced our reservation. Seated upstairs by street facing window. Ambiance is extremely pleasant. The restaurant was full of soft speaking people. Service was a 3/5 for the following reasons; server seemed slightly preoccupied with his tables as we didn't receive any bread until asking for it and after our precourse and drinks had arrived, no one approached us with a second drink order for longer than you would expect and my steak was ordered medium rare but came out raw, sent back and was returned 10 minutes later. Server made up for this by offering a complimentary dessert which we declined. With that said the precourse nocchi and salad were very good. As was the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday, and I cannot rave enough about Vermilion and the effort they put in. Truly it was a special night for both of us, and Vermilion and their staff had a lot to do with that. Great job.Special Features:
- What a great dinner!cmgdine79Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I came from Seattle for the weekend and were so amazed by this restaurant! The food was fresh, unique and delicious. The service was fantastic. I highly recommend Vermilion!Special Features:
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014Vermilion is still a favorite, particularly in the summer because they are so great at seasonal dishes. Went for brunch. The chilled corn soup was one the best chilled soups I've ever had. Hush puppies were light and delicious. The cured salmon benedict was also just right. Service is always great. If you can, ask to sit by the windows upstairs. It's my favorite place to sit, particularly during the day when you can see outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for ladies lunchNOVArsrDined on 9/10/2014Bosko M. was our waiter and was polite, professional, and informative. He described items on the menu making it all enticing to try. Attentive service. WONDERFUL food: visually appealing presentation, intriguing combination of items, and wonderfully satisfying. And then came the unique Corn Ice Cream...yummy! Gas lighting is nice touch to ambiance in this Old Town gem. Thanks to wait staff, chefs, and ladies who lunch...a terrific experience!Special Features:
- Nice meal, good serviceHCPEVIPDined on 9/9/2014I went there for dinner with a couple of colleagues from work during a weeknight - they weren't very busy. They had a decent wine selection. All the appetizers we ordered were great - both presentation and taste. However, the entrees were okay, at best, from a taste perspective - they weren't great. Service was very good. I would go there again and maybe try some different entrees.Special Features:
- Burnt BreadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Completely forgettable meal highlighted by burnt bread and small portions. Went home hungry and penniless. The waitress was good in that she told us what entrees to avoid.
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014I dine at Vermilion 5-6 times a year. They lost their chef to the Iron Gate in DC about 9 months ago and haven't really found their footing since his departure. You used to be able to order anything and it was prepared very well. Now most of the dishes just seem a bit mediocre and it's just getting to the point where it's not worth keeping them in the rotation. Haven't had any bad meals there over the past year, but there are so many other options, even in Old Town. On one visit it must have been about 90 degrees in the upstairs dining room, no idea what was going on there, but it was noticeable to everyone.
- Great bar menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014While we first went to the main dining room, the menu there is pretty limited, so when one of our party asked if they could order off the bar menu, the waiter checked with the chef, who said no. Really??? Even for two people celebrating birthdays? Plus the waiter upstairs was very low-key and stuffy. So we decided to move down to the bar area downstairs. That experience was much better and the wait staff down there was great.Special Features:
- Casual eloquent at its bestBoomerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is one of Old Towns finest for lunch or dinner. This where I take friends and clients and have always been pleased. The staff are great without being overbearing or snobbish. The food is superior, and the atmosphere is comfortable and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchKathieDined on 9/5/2014I requested a table by the window for lunch with my dear friend and the staff was accommodating. My herb salad was very good -- a bit light on the chicken ($5 extra)...expected a bit more chicken. The pasta dish my friend ordered was very good -- a great light lunch.Special Features:
- The manager is asleep.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014This has long been among my favorite, if not my favorite Old Town restaurant, and last night, after eating great food served by a fantastic server, I'm leaving only 3 stars. The categories above are all worthy of 5, but initial push, to get past the gate keeper, was a bit of a high-drama way to kick off the evening. This marks the second time I've witnessed an issue with a staff member in the last two years--this tells me it's a problem with the management. Hope they get it under control, because everything else is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- President & CEOVicBDined on 9/3/2014Always a great option for lunch, dinner or drinks. Great location and wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great food, iffy serviceBeagleMomDined on 9/1/2014The food we had at Vermilion was somewhat unique and extremely well executed. With an appetizer and entree, you leave completely full and happy. Unfortunately, though we were warmly greeted upon arrival, the service was notably slow. It took over 8 minutes from being seated to someone bringing us water or introducing themselves as our server. We had already decided on what food we would order by the time the drink orders were taken, and we waited quite a while for those drinks (for some reason, longer for the champagne than for the mixed drink). Once we ordered, our food came at a good pace, and the wait staff was always pleasant. Other than the slow start on service, the experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 9/1/2014As always the food was excellent. The charred squid and the grouper were perfectly prepared. My wife's lamb was delicious. The only negative was the service. The bottle of wine we ordered came after the amuse-bouche and almost missed the appetizer course. There was an inordinate wait for the main course to the point that even the waiter apologized. I'm not sure this group service concept where each course is delivered by a different person is working for the restaurant or the patrons. It comes across like no one is in charge and thus no one is responsible.Special Features:
- Wonderful Tasting MenuAnonymousDined on 9/1/2014Several in our group ordered the multi-course tasting menu and every course was properly portioned and delicious. The wine pairings were also perfect for each set of flavors. Service was friendly and attentive, but not rushed. A perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.