Vermilion - Alexandria
1120 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Vermilion - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vermilionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (703) 684-9669
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday, Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (closed for lunch on Tuesdays);
Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: For those who have enjoyed dining at Vermilion and wish to have us cater your next event, we are pleased to partner with 550 Events & Provisions, a chef-driven, full-service catering and events company. As a member of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s family of award-winning restaurants, 550 possesses an unparalleled depth and breadth of experience, as well as culinary talent. For inquiries and more information, contact 550 Events & Provisions at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: For inquiries regarding private events, please contact our Private Dining Manager, Rebecca Chuvalas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Rebecca Chuvalas x
- Entertainment: Live music every Tuesday and Wednesday night starting around 10:00 PM in the Lounge at Vermilion.
A word from Vermilion - Alexandria
Vermilion offers deceptively simple modern American cooking in the heart of Old Town, Alexandria. From Chef William Morris' regional cuisine using local, farm-raised products whenever possible to the warmth of its ambiance and the gracious hospitality its staff brings to the table, Vermilion serves as an ideal location for a casual weekday dinner, a special occasion destination or simply a great gathering place for drinks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Vermilion - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Vermilion - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)special occasion (120)neighborhood gem (109)romantic (104)notable wine list (66)great for lunch (36)hot spot (26)great for brunch (25)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Anniversary dinnerMikeWDined on 11/22/2014Always get the most outstanding service at Vermillion. Our server was the best - knowledgeable about our food requirements - one vegan and one of us gluten free. Our server knew every ingredient in every dish, the subs we could make, and steered us to great dishes. Wine was fantastic (Guild vineyard) at a reasonable price. Celebrated a wonderful anniversary dinner at Vermillion. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open2gooddiningDined on 11/22/2014This was an excellent dining experience. We had a great table on the second floor next to a window -- lovely. The Crispy Oysters were yummy and I loved the Roast Atlantic Rockfish. My husband's Pan Seared Salmon was perfectly cooked. Wonderful dessert -- a unique lemon Meringue Pie. Great service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just too expensiveJackVIPDined on 11/22/2014We were celebrating a very special occasion at Vermilion and enjoyed it very much. But what overshadowed the whole thing was the price. The food was very good, but the price was much too high. Also, among the courses for the Chef's Tasting Menu was pork. The chef didn't use a tenderloin cut, that's for sure. It seemed like such an odd choice for such an otherwise exquisite menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/21/2014Our dinner could not have been better. Four of us were celebrating a birthday. The food and drink were superb. We had four difference appetizers, four different entrees and two dessets. Everyone raved about the food. Not a morsel was left. The service was excellent. Everyone who came to the table was gracious, helpful and interested in making sure our exeprience was to our likling. And we could hear each other without a problem, which is a rare treat these days. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014Loved this place the food was amazing and the service was great. The chef has created a great display of his talentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9.5 out of 10. Don't miss the fritterschainsawDined on 11/18/2014excellent meal. The Fritters melt in you mouth and the fluke was perfectly done . A Very enjoyable experience. Excellent food , good service and good decor. The downside was it was very noisy upstairs and challenging to hear sometimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for lunch.EastoftheRiverDined on 11/17/2014Chose Vermillion for lunch on a rainy Monday. It was very good, especially the sunchoke soup. I would definitely come back and I would like to try the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersGayleeDined on 11/15/2014It took me three weeks to get a reservation at the between 7:30 and 8:00, but it was well worth the wait. Last Saturday the place was hopping when we arrived at 7:45. My husband and I had to wait a bit for our table so we found a seat in the bar area. The staff was very attentive and we were shown to our table in a reasonable amount of time. From start to finish our meal was excellent and the service commendable! We live near by and will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dinner with Out of Town Guests at VermillionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Vermillion is our go-to restaurant in Old Town when we want a memorable dinner without going into DC. Street parking is always easy to find in Old Town, the service and ambiance are excellent, and the food is delicious. The prices are comparable to other moderately priced restaurants but if you like a nice restaurant experience, Vermillion will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary at VermilionEJPJDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our meal at Vermilion. While everything was terrific, the service was the standout part of this experience. The staff is knowledgeable, thoughtful, and took my husband's severe allergy to celery very seriously. This place is worth every penny. Oh, try the PB&J terrine, it is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant In Old TownDannyVIPDined on 11/14/2014This is such a cute and cozy place. I went here on a Friday night and was seated upstairs. The decor is sort of modern, rustic. The server that help us that evening was so pleasant and very very attentive. For appetizer I had the steak tar tar. Amazing. For the main course Roast Magret Duck Breast with roasted polenta, eggplant, glazed artichoke... It was amazing. I cant wait to make my next reservation. Definitely recommendable dining experience in the heart of old town Alexandria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely for out-of-town guestsShowingoffDined on 11/9/2014Had visitors in town who were at National Harbor - quick trip over to Old Town and Vermilion for Sunday brunch and the entire nature of their trip (convention) changed to atmosphere (Old Town) and good food. Three of us ordered the Baked Eggs with Cheese Grits and it was truly memorable. Would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant on so many different levels.Special Features:
- A favoriteLuckyladyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Our experience was terrific. Food great and Justin our waiter was one of the best we have ever had! Would always recommend vermillion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outAndyDined on 11/6/2014Took my wife here for her birthday. Food was fantastic. It was one of those meals where we got to explore new flavors and taste combinations. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I felt like a valued guesthappyDined on 11/4/2014There's a great, very caring staff at this restaurant and they all made me feel like more than a customer. The food does not disappoint either.Special Features:
- Excellent, just like the first time.SpeedpassDined on 11/2/2014We had the charred octopus for appetizer and what a way to start. If the appetizer is an indicator for what is to come, we knew right away we were going to have a fantastic dinner. We had Vermillion a few years ago and we were impressed the last time, and this time we were equally impressed. The Roast Atlantic Rockfish I had was simply perfect. The clam and ham broth was a perfect companion with the rockfish. Overall it was a superb experience. For the price we paid, and we have had some very expensive meals at other restaurants, the quality of food we got in return is simply a bargain.
- MsP34Dined on 10/31/2014It was my daughter's birthday and the server presented her with a card and an extensive dessert sampler complete with a candle! Very nice!Special Features:
- Good for food Bad for ConversationJX928Dined on 10/30/2014We were a party of 4 for dinner on a Thursday night. Salads and fish entrees (fluke, salmon) were very good; risotto entree was mediocre. The ambience upstairs is very nice except it was so noisy that we could not carry on a conversation. We have eaten at Vermilion numerous times and the food is generally very good. One minor annoying part of the service was that the waiter offered us, unsolicited, after handing us the menus, his "favorite" choices on the menu. This is not good etiquette for the wait staff and rather tacky for a good restaurant. If I want the waitperson's opinion, I will ask. What I want from the wait staff is a list of the night's special dishes and descriptions if needed of menu items, without editorializing.
- Perfect BirthdayJoyliseDined on 10/24/2014Celebrated my husbands 34th birthday here, he was wished a happy birthday when we checked in, plus we got a delicious dessert and a card. The ambiance was great, service was excellent and the food was delicious. My only wish is that they had more vegetarian options. There were 2 of the main courses where the meat could be taken off. I went with the half portion of risotto. It was really good, but I just wished for something specifically vegetarian that would've been a little more hearty, like with some mushrooms or something. Besides that, we loved it and it made for a special night :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedJoanieDined on 10/22/2014My husband and I had different dining experiences. He was pleased with his orders - charred octopus, perfectly cooked steak. I, on the other hand, was underwhelmed with my choices - sweet gem salad which was touted by our server but was not much more than tender romaine on a slab of goat cheese with good old walnuts and raisins sprinkled on top and a forgettable vinaigrette. My fluke was okay - passable if I had cooked it at home but nothing exciting. I would expect a more complex entree from this restaurant. The spinach underneath was too oily. The eggplant was delicious. Our dessert, the sweet potato panna cotta, made up for the excitement the rest of my dinner lacked.
- Probably the best in AlexandriaasherVIPDined on 10/21/2014Having been to a number of the fine dining venues in the area, I would rate it as probably the best! Steak to salmon were well prepared. The menu is interesting and the preparation very well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablePeterG24Dined on 10/20/2014The tasting menu and wine compliment were superb. Excellent service and friendly atmosphere. Celebrated our wedding anniversary in style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- justmehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014overall, the food was too complex which took away from the parts of it that were very well done. we had a simple meal with fluke and a green salad. the fish was lovely - very fresh tasting and a nice mix of accompaniments but too salty. dessert was not good - lemon meringue - waaay too many directions - not enough lemon. it was a challenge to order - there seemed to be too much going on with the dishes so they were more theatrical than well thought out for eating. i'm used to fine dining in sf & portland so farm to table/great ingredients is something i take for granted. would like to see this resto pull back a bit and offer truly great food with more flavor. the space was just fine and service was well attentive. bussers were a bit stiff.
- Fantastic little findNYCFoodieDined on 10/20/2014I stumbled upon this little gem as was so thankful as it was an incredible meal. Everything was great from the second we walked in to the second we left. Staff was so friendly, professional and attentive. Food was absolutely scrumptious. My only complaint is that instead of dining here 2 nights in a row I went to an expensive french restaurant that was a complete disappointment. Next time I am in town, I will not make that mistake again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightJessipeeVIPDined on 10/17/2014A friend and I enjoyed Vermilion on a Friday night. The service was knowledgable, helpful and attentive without being solicitous (which is to say Europe in style, and that is a compliment). The food was creative and delicious. We had the tasting menu, which was perfect, since I could not decide which of the terrific entrees we wanted. First rate and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent serviceSamIAmDined on 10/16/2014The meal was outstanding, the service was outstanding. I had mentioned in my reservation that it was my wife's birthday and the staff provided a dessert and a card. A lovely touch. Everything was exquisite and delicious and we will be going again.Special Features:
- WOW!StewMoonDined on 10/15/20144th Visit there and it always seems to amaze me at the variety and depth of capability which comes from the Chef and staff there! This is our anniversary/birthday place and it never disappoints!! Even when we move away we will have to travel up once a year to this superb venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FCgourmetDined on 10/13/2014We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary with lunch. The service food and beverages were perfect. We will definitely return, long overdue trying Vermillion for the 1st time. Would like to have a dinner date next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner as always...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014We've been eating at Vermilion for a decade now, and we're always pleased with the experience. The food & service are reliably top notch, and we always leave with at least one "how did they make that?!" experience from each meal. The only reason the food doesn't get 5 stars this time around is food temperature. We both ordered the same entree -- roast magret duck breast. Mine was medium rare, my wife's medium. I think they must've started cooking both at the same time because mine was served lukewarm while my wife's came out hot. Picky, but we're paying top dollar so we feel it's warranted. The dessert we shared (a tweaked lemon meringue pie) was ridiculously delicious, so we left on a high note. In all, another wonderful meal at Vermilion.Special Features:
- WonderfulFuzzybuddhaDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I were in on Saturday (10/11/14) to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed in the least. The food was exquisite, the wine selection was vast but wide ranging to match anything you were eating. The wait staff was perfect, around enough to help, but not around all the time. I had the pan seared salmon with sweet potato fritters and roasted beets. My mouth is watering thinking about them. My wife had the English pea risotto. Absolutely delightful, perfectly cooked. Thank you for allowing us to have such a grand time for our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and cozyMosieVIPDined on 10/10/2014Fantastic food with a fun view of king street from second floor and the food came swiftly and was absolutely delicious!!! Will definitely return and will definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous- Must GoBrianTDined on 10/10/2014Best date night dinner in years!!! Service and food were spectacular. Great wine and beer selections. Loved the atmosphere and genuine friendly service. Food came out quickly and was very good. Don't skip this place. You MUST go!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014The general manager brought out an additional appetizer on the house for us because our order was placed right after a large party's order. They wanted to make sure we weren't waiting for too long. Our main course came out in great time. We probably wouldn't have even noticed the wait time, but we were thankful for the great service! Vermilion is our favorite special-occasion spot!Special Features:
- Absolutely everything expectedPeppersMomDined on 10/5/2014Four of us dined after a long day driving and a long meeting. It was a perfect way to brighten and end our day. Everything was exquisitely prepared and presented. Salads, entrees and desserts were all delicious. I had brunch at Vermillion about a year ago and it was also delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent Anniversary DinnerhungrygourmetDined on 10/4/2014My spouse and I had the loveliest anniversary dinner at Vermilion. We were greeted warmly and seated at an intimate table by the window.The ambiance, as always, was elegant without being pretentious. We enjoyed the duck and tenderloin entrees, noting the careful seasoning and complementary sides that enhanced the cuts of meat. The wine list produced several notable accompaniments for our meal. Our evening ended with an an especially unexpected delight- our server brought a complementary dish dessert of ricotta fritters when I had trouble choosing between the fritters and the lemon meringue. Thank you, Vermilion, for such a romantic and delicious evening.Special Features:
- A Special Mealluv2trynewDined on 10/4/2014Vermilion is a very special place to dine, in the middle of Old Town, Alexandria. Everything about it is perfect, including the ambiance, the delicious and well-presented food, the great table service and knowledgeable servers, and the relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. I look forward to going back often, especially for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperiencekeithclarkDined on 10/3/2014All four people in my party raved about the food. My duck entree was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014We went to Vermillion for a romantic evening and had a great experience. Service was excellent! Thank you and you shall see us again.Special Features:
- Special Anniversarymseiler2002Dined on 9/27/2014I happened to mention that we would be celebrating our anniversary and Vermilion took very good care of us. We really appreciated the attention to detail and the recognition that it was a special day for us. Thanks, so much! The food was wonderful and the service was very attentive, but not overwhelming.Special Features:
- okay for dinnerjimmVIPDined on 9/24/2014Nothing too special. Had the gnocchi Bolognese, more like sloppy joe sauce. Pork loin arrived overcooked but they graciously re-did it. Marshmallow ice cream was more like caramel ice cream. Martini and wine were good. Seems like a lot of restaurants are trying very hard to use low cost ingredients (do they have to be so obvious about it?) and avoid herbs.Special Features: