1790 Springfield Avenue
Maplewood, NJ 07040Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://verjusrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9733788990x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 8:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Tutino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jane Witkin 9733788990x
A word from Verjus Restaurant
Owned by Chef Charles Tutino and his wife, Jane Witkin, Verjus serves contemporary French/New American cuisine in a stylish, understated dining room decorated with works by local artists. The menu changes daily and seasonally, taking advantage of local markets and direct sourcing whenever possible. Verjus has a full bar and a list of excellent wines, primarily French and American, at surprisingly low prices. Verjus also features an extensive line of single malt scotches.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
Verjus Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Maplewood ›
Verjus Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (39)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (25)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (12)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappointedchefedDined on 8/21/2014After reading so many glowing reviews maybe my expectations for Verjus were too high. I expected to be wowed, and I wasn't. The hosts are lovely people. She affable and charming, he with an acerbic wit, but not in a bad way. The service is slow. The room is old looking and dated, not charming at all. Could really use an update. The menu is very limited. The Roasted tomato soup was very tasty and not ordinary at all. My duck was not crispy and too well done. My wife loved her snails and the sauce with them, didn't care much for overcooked scallops but like the pasta and sauce with them. My daughter's food was nothing extraordinary. To me, Verjus seemed past its prime. The wine list is short but I found a very reasonably priced excellent red.
- Always PleasesLovediningoutDined on 8/15/2014We have been to Verjus many times over the years. We have never had a bad experience. The food is prepared with love and skill. The drinks are excellent. The wine list short and to the point, with no outrageous pricing. And our hostess with the mostest makes it such a pleasure.Special Features:
- An exceptional dining experience!!!TioPeteVIPDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food, appetizers, cocktails, wine,s desserts and service. What more could you ask for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb...every time.RaeJohnVIPDined on 8/8/2014One of the best restaurants in the state, and my all time favorite -- lunch, dinner, brunch -- anytime.Special Features:
- ExcellentLindaDined on 8/8/2014We dined at verjus on a Friday with their special pre fixe shore night dinner. It was excellent. My husband and I both had the jersey sweet corn chowder for our appetizer. It was piping hot and delicious. Warm corn bread, biscuits and rolls also started out the meal. Yummy! For my main corse, I had the lobster oregenata, served in the shell. It was split so easier to eat. The meat was sweet and delicious. It was accompanied by verjus fries (to die for) and squash. My husband had the bluefish, verjus fries and squash. He loved his meal as well. We both had blueberry crepes for dessert which were delicious. Can't wait to go back again. I have to have those verjus fries again.Special Features:
- Impeccable FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014The food is impeccable. Jane, the hostess, is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaeJohnVIPDined on 7/27/2014Every meal at Verjus is wonderful. It is our go-to restaurant, and we are always glad we dined there.Special Features:
- Always Great MealvidaliaVIPDined on 7/24/2014Loved having a dinner with friends at Verjus. Jane, co-owner and hostess, is wonderful. Drinks a very agreeable pear martini and great glasses of wine to each person's particular taste. The food was delicious. We shared the silky smooth duck pate, presented with cornichons, mustard, and other treats, as an appetizer. Always a treat - if you love pate - and always a silky joy to the taste buds. The salmon main dish accompanied by lentils was cheered by two of our group. Every crumb was gone... The beef bourguignon was fabulous. This was served on a mound of buttery mashed potatoes lightly enveloped with a lovely gravy. So sad that we were too full to try a dessert this evening.Special Features:
- DonnieDonnieDined on 7/20/2014We had brunch at Verjus. Food was very good but it took forever to get our food. Maybe short=staffed in kitchen? Would try again but not for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2dineDined on 7/19/2014I enjoyed the restaurant the food and the service was superb I already recommend it to a few of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must tryCarlDined on 7/13/2014Great straight- forward cooking. You can order anything and not be disappointed. One of the few restaurants left that still adheres to the fundamentals of cooking/ classic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low Key, But Great MealAllOvrThePlaceDined on 7/13/2014We chose this restaurant based on its reviews and the fact it was a cuisine a little out of the ordinary, ie NOT Italian or Asian. We were bringing in guests from Australia and thought it would be more interesting for them. The food was great and the winelist was good, too. The decor is quite non-descript, but the space is very clean and straightforward. Bar seemed well stocked. While the service while a bit slow it was a good thing for us because it gave plenty of time to visit with our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Our third time and it has been excellent each time!Special Features:
- Friendly, low- key gourmetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014The food here is really fresh and delicious. The asparagus salad was a stand-out, but all was excellent. Also, the coffee is very good! It is a quiet, lovely place to enjoy food and good conversation. The service was unintrusive and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesegluvttodinetooDined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed their recent theme night, Summer Beach (others are Bistro, American Regional - i.e., prix fix menu choices) We return several times a yearSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunchMontclairFoodieDined on 6/27/2014Food was quite tasty... I eespecially enjoyed the twice baked potatoes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delight Each and Every Time!DeliciousDined on 6/20/2014VerJus is a favorite of ours. The food is consistently wonderful. If there's a soup on the menu, try it---they never disappoint. The entrees are classic and comfortable. Wonderfully sourced ingredients make this place hands-down one of the best around town (or around all of NJ). Plus, no ones makes a smoother martini than Jane.Special Features:
- Terrific food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/17/2014We went to Verjus for a three generation birthday celebration for my mother. The food was fabulous, the wine was delicious, and we enjoyed getting to know the proprietors. Loved everything - we had the escargot, duck terrine appetizers and sauerbraten, softshell crab amandine and peking duck entrees.Special Features:
- A Truly Elegant Brunchcmac7Dined on 6/8/2014This is our "go to" place for Sunday brunch. This time the standouts were ... everything. The beet soup was great, the salads were wonderful and the entrees were terrific. The service is friendly and paced just right so you're not waiting for your food yet you don't feel like you're getting the bum's rush. It was just under $100 for brunch for three with two drinks, well worth it for the excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Gret foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014If you enjoy a leisurely dining experience with a great wait staff and superb food, then Verjus is the place for you. The owners are friendly and very solicitous. The food was as anticipated...great, and the wine selection was also good. The wait staff was friendly and courteous. There is a private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant. I would most definitely go back.Special Features:
- Somewhat hidden neighborhood gem.CarolynDined on 6/1/2014As many have noted, Verjus is somewhat out of the main way in Maplewood, not in the Village but on Springfield Ave. It is rather nondescript on the outside, but comfortable and attractive enough inside. The food is outstanding and the service was excellent, at least the night we went there. The owner spoke with us for quite a while and she was delightful. Verjus is only a couple of blocks from where we live, and yet we had never been there (in 8 years). Now that we have broken the ice though, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find in MaplewoodFleaVIPDined on 5/25/2014Passed this place for years and can't believe it took me this long to stop. Delicious, generous portions. Attentive servers. Gracious host. Brunch was delightful. Raspberry Bellini, duck terrine, crab cakes with no fillers all thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyAnn286Dined on 5/16/2014Verjus is simple food cooked expertly. A French bistro menu, the moules frites (mussels and fries), I had were perfect. Tender with the right amount of sauce, a wine, garlic concoction of beauty. Thank goodness the hostess came over and offered a little extra warm bread to dip in the sauce. The bowl was clean when it returned to the kitchen. My husband enjoyed everything that came across his plate. The best ending was the crepe with apricot. The apricots were tart and fresh and a perfect balance to the sweetness of the crepe and cream it was served with. Verjus is a place I always look forward to visiting and hope to go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightfulDelishVIPDined on 5/14/2014Ver Jus is a lovely restaurant. The food is excellent and beautifully presented. The acoustics are such that quiet conversation is possible even when large groups are in the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingJagrVIPDined on 5/13/2014We have been coming here for a number of years and the food is consistently excellent. The roast chicken was perfectly cooked. Mu friend had the scallops and they were fabulous. Whatever we have ordered has been skillfully prepared and delicious. This is one of the best restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014the food is great,the ambience elegant,quiet and peaceful, the service is young and helpful and eager to please. it is a european style well-timed two hour dining experience. the tables are well spaced--you don't hear your neighbor's table talk or brush into them when walking into and out of the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another five Star place to dineTioPeteVIPDined on 5/10/2014Every diner we've ever had here is SUPERB!!! That's why we keep on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and delicious food!AnjjDined on 5/10/2014Although I'd passed by this restaurant a thousand times, I didn't think to stop in until it was recommended to be. Boy am I happy that I did! Both the service and the food were wonderful! I would definitely recommend and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014We were pleasantly surprised. Classic French but with friendlyness and grace. incredible food, very reasonable wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayGreevesVIPDined on 5/3/2014I chose Verjus because it was highly rated, however, while the food was good the place itself was nothing remarkable. Also, I had a 645 reservation which I confirmed and stated that I may be there by 7 and was told there was seating at 7 and the reservation may not be held. I called back at 6pm saying that we'd definitely be late and they said that "things had changed" and they could take us at 7. When we got there it was EMPTY???? Needless to say I was irritated. There was a nice ice cream cake for my friend from Verjus which was a nice touch, we will not be back.Special Features:
- The following 526 reviews are from the Verjus Restaurant reviews archive.
- Loved Bistro NightNJTarheelDined on 4/18/2014Our first experience dining at Verjus was a third Friday "Bistro Night" and it was excellent. All three course were great and we enjoyed the small but solid choice of reasonably priced good beers, as well as wine and cocktail options. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food, with an alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Great food, with an always changing menu. Place for a quiet dinner where you can hear the people at your table without shouting. That is hard to find these days, when restaurants seem to think loud equates with success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restauranttime2eatDined on 4/12/2014The food was great, especially the escargot and the scallops dishes. Service was a little slow. Will definitely go back and try some of the other interesting dishes on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Certainly a diamond in the rough!cavaDined on 4/10/2014Tucked away in maplewood this rather nice restaurarant looks like a diner from the car park.but that is where the similamarity ends as the menu is superb!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014One of the best in Maplewood, always a good experience.Special Features:
- Verjus is a great restaurant!MisterTDined on 4/6/2014We have been going to Verjus for many years and the food is always excellent. It is a great dining experience -- great service and ambience. The owners are always there and happy to make the experience a great one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love VerjusmilleretcDined on 3/30/2014The food, drinks, service - all excellent. We know we're guaranteed a great meal, every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classically trained chefOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/29/2014A classically trained chef prepares consistently good food. We enjoy ourselves every time we come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food with warm serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2014Always a great choice. The food is consistently very good and the service makes you feel you are in their home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is done with careDMTCrFDined on 3/22/2014The server was attentive; the food was outstanding (I had duck with beets and a salad, and chocolate mousse for dessert); the atmosphere was extremely pleasant. Each wine by the glass was carefully selected and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.