1790 Springfield Avenue
Maplewood, NJ 07040Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://verjusrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9733788990x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 8:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Tutino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jane Witkin 9733788990x
A word from Verjus Restaurant
Owned by Chef Charles Tutino and his wife, Jane Witkin, Verjus serves contemporary French/New American cuisine in a stylish, understated dining room decorated with works by local artists. The menu changes daily and seasonally, taking advantage of local markets and direct sourcing whenever possible. Verjus has a full bar and a list of excellent wines, primarily French and American, at surprisingly low prices. Verjus also features an extensive line of single malt scotches.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
Verjus Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Maplewood ›
Verjus Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (41)special occasion (39)neighborhood gem (33)romantic (21)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (11)good for groups (8)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- ehhh....the profiteroles were greatBobbyDined on 10/18/2014Went to Verjus based on good reviews on open table and was underwhelmed. The profiteroles for dessert however, were special. Really good. The food was good, not great, but didn't really seem to be a very French experience. Yes they had escargot and beef bourguignon, but otherwise it was all rather similar to what you could get in a non-French restaurant (crab cakes, salmon, scallops, etc). The food was nicely prepared but not very memorable. The wine was good and well priced however the wait staff is very young and wasn't helpful at all in guiding either the food or wine selection. When I asked about a particular wine the response I got was 'a lot of people order that'. The restaurant decor is quite boring and there isn't much ambiance.
- Family FrenchraygunVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great French cuisine with a family atmosphere and a personal touch from Jane, the hostess and co-owner. The first time I've seen a good French restaurant that has paper tablecloths and crayons for the kids to draw. What a great idea to introduce kids to French cuisine. My only disappointments were no blue cheese olives for martinis ( a pet peeve of mine) and an unimpressive duck confit rillette salad. My beef bourguignonne entree and creme caramel dessert were stellar. My wife enjoyed her pork entree also. We went on a Friday night for the bistro menu. I am eager to return and sample the a la carte menu which has more options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- soeaterVIPDined on 10/17/2014We love Verjus. Charlie's food is consistently excellent and Jane and the staff are warm and welcoming. On this latest visit we tried the French Bistro night. It's nice to get a slight twist on the regular menu. I had the escargot to start and then the skate with lentils, my husband had the duck confit rillette and the bouef bourgingone - all delicious. The beef was meltingly tender - no need for a knife. Chocolate mousse for each for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceFRZFOODVIPDined on 10/9/2014We have been here several times and enjoy the food and service every time! If you have not eaten here yet. Go for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ERubyDined on 10/1/2014Delicious food, welcoming service, caring hosts. We will be back.Special Features:
- Food Fit for FoodiesFlushingFirstTimersDined on 9/28/2014We dined on a Sunday evening so the restaurant was particularly quiet with only 3 other tables filled when we began our dining experience. the service and the food were fabulous. We started with heirloom tomatoes with 2 different cheese. the variously colored tomatoes were very flavorful as was the cheese. the dandilion salad was inventive and distinctive. the salmon and hangar steak entrees were perfectly done with young tender green beans and beluga black lentils. the hangar steal was seared on the surface adding a wonderful flavor to the perfectly medium rare meat.Special Features:
- A surprise in MaplewoodOfficeWorkerVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had never been here before but were pleasantly surprised. Enjoyable meal in a pleasant white-table cloth setting. Menu had a lot of seafood selections but also duck and beef. Broad wine list with many moderately priced selections. We will be going back!Special Features:
- FoodaficionadosDined on 9/20/2014Outstanding French cuisine. Owned by husband and wife team. Escargots is to die for! The scallops with light pasta and mushroom sauce was excellent. Chicken with tarragon was outstanding as well! Great desserts! Attentive service. Definitely will return again! This is a hidden gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rateFoodieDined on 9/13/2014Relatively quiet with excellent food. A perfect place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for the food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Expensive for the quality of the food, food was good but should be great for the price. Service was very good. Need to replace the paper table cloth with linen, paper was very annoyingSpecial Features:
- Consistently greatLanieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Verjus is consistently excellent in it's quality of food. It menu is always different with a small selection of entrees that still offers enough variety to suit all tastes. It is our go-to place for great food. The wine list offers a great selection and good value.Special Features:
- Good but can use improvementGophDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed coming into the restaurant and it was very welcoming and friendly. However it took a very very long time for a waiter to come get our orders and even a longer time to actually get the food, an hour and 45 minutes to get the main course. Appetizers were great. The main courses were uneven: good veal, good beef, but I would forgo the salmon. They made a mistake with our order as we didn't get the duck we ordered and instead we got the salmon (double whammy) but by then it was late enough that we decided not to wait for the duck. The staff notified the owner and she graciously and on her own comped us not only for the salmon but also for our second bottle of excellent wine. She also apologized and was quite lovely about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PartymomDined on 9/6/2014We keep coming back for great food, great drinks and a wonderful waite staff!! See you again soon...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience.NicholasNameDined on 9/4/2014Great food and calm atmosphere. Wine is reasonably priced. Just be patient, it's a petite operation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal whenever you go!RaeJohnVIPDined on 8/29/2014You will always have excellent food and a fun time whenever you go. Warm, friendly reception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedchefedDined on 8/21/2014After reading so many glowing reviews maybe my expectations for Verjus were too high. I expected to be wowed, and I wasn't. The hosts are lovely people. She affable and charming, he with an acerbic wit, but not in a bad way. The service is slow. The room is old looking and dated, not charming at all. Could really use an update. The menu is very limited. The Roasted tomato soup was very tasty and not ordinary at all. My duck was not crispy and too well done. My wife loved her snails and the sauce with them, didn't care much for overcooked scallops but like the pasta and sauce with them. My daughter's food was nothing extraordinary. To me, Verjus seemed past its prime. The wine list is short but I found a very reasonably priced excellent red.
- Always PleasesLovediningoutDined on 8/15/2014We have been to Verjus many times over the years. We have never had a bad experience. The food is prepared with love and skill. The drinks are excellent. The wine list short and to the point, with no outrageous pricing. And our hostess with the mostest makes it such a pleasure.Special Features:
- An exceptional dining experience!!!TioPeteVIPDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food, appetizers, cocktails, wine,s desserts and service. What more could you ask for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb...every time.RaeJohnVIPDined on 8/8/2014One of the best restaurants in the state, and my all time favorite -- lunch, dinner, brunch -- anytime.Special Features:
- ExcellentLindaDined on 8/8/2014We dined at verjus on a Friday with their special pre fixe shore night dinner. It was excellent. My husband and I both had the jersey sweet corn chowder for our appetizer. It was piping hot and delicious. Warm corn bread, biscuits and rolls also started out the meal. Yummy! For my main corse, I had the lobster oregenata, served in the shell. It was split so easier to eat. The meat was sweet and delicious. It was accompanied by verjus fries (to die for) and squash. My husband had the bluefish, verjus fries and squash. He loved his meal as well. We both had blueberry crepes for dessert which were delicious. Can't wait to go back again. I have to have those verjus fries again.Special Features:
- Impeccable FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014The food is impeccable. Jane, the hostess, is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaeJohnVIPDined on 7/27/2014Every meal at Verjus is wonderful. It is our go-to restaurant, and we are always glad we dined there.Special Features:
- Always Great MealvidaliaVIPDined on 7/24/2014Loved having a dinner with friends at Verjus. Jane, co-owner and hostess, is wonderful. Drinks a very agreeable pear martini and great glasses of wine to each person's particular taste. The food was delicious. We shared the silky smooth duck pate, presented with cornichons, mustard, and other treats, as an appetizer. Always a treat - if you love pate - and always a silky joy to the taste buds. The salmon main dish accompanied by lentils was cheered by two of our group. Every crumb was gone... The beef bourguignon was fabulous. This was served on a mound of buttery mashed potatoes lightly enveloped with a lovely gravy. So sad that we were too full to try a dessert this evening.Special Features:
- DonnieDonnieDined on 7/20/2014We had brunch at Verjus. Food was very good but it took forever to get our food. Maybe short=staffed in kitchen? Would try again but not for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2dineDined on 7/19/2014I enjoyed the restaurant the food and the service was superb I already recommend it to a few of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must tryCarlDined on 7/13/2014Great straight- forward cooking. You can order anything and not be disappointed. One of the few restaurants left that still adheres to the fundamentals of cooking/ classic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low Key, But Great MealAllOvrThePlaceDined on 7/13/2014We chose this restaurant based on its reviews and the fact it was a cuisine a little out of the ordinary, ie NOT Italian or Asian. We were bringing in guests from Australia and thought it would be more interesting for them. The food was great and the winelist was good, too. The decor is quite non-descript, but the space is very clean and straightforward. Bar seemed well stocked. While the service while a bit slow it was a good thing for us because it gave plenty of time to visit with our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Our third time and it has been excellent each time!Special Features:
- Friendly, low- key gourmetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014The food here is really fresh and delicious. The asparagus salad was a stand-out, but all was excellent. Also, the coffee is very good! It is a quiet, lovely place to enjoy food and good conversation. The service was unintrusive and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesegluvttodinetooDined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed their recent theme night, Summer Beach (others are Bistro, American Regional - i.e., prix fix menu choices) We return several times a yearSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunchMontclairFoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food was quite tasty... I eespecially enjoyed the twice baked potatoes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 540 reviews are from the Verjus Restaurant reviews archive.
- A Delight Each and Every Time!DeliciousVIPDined on 6/20/2014VerJus is a favorite of ours. The food is consistently wonderful. If there's a soup on the menu, try it---they never disappoint. The entrees are classic and comfortable. Wonderfully sourced ingredients make this place hands-down one of the best around town (or around all of NJ). Plus, no ones makes a smoother martini than Jane.Special Features:
- Terrific food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/17/2014We went to Verjus for a three generation birthday celebration for my mother. The food was fabulous, the wine was delicious, and we enjoyed getting to know the proprietors. Loved everything - we had the escargot, duck terrine appetizers and sauerbraten, softshell crab amandine and peking duck entrees.Special Features:
- A Truly Elegant Brunchcmac7Dined on 6/8/2014This is our "go to" place for Sunday brunch. This time the standouts were ... everything. The beet soup was great, the salads were wonderful and the entrees were terrific. The service is friendly and paced just right so you're not waiting for your food yet you don't feel like you're getting the bum's rush. It was just under $100 for brunch for three with two drinks, well worth it for the excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Gret foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014If you enjoy a leisurely dining experience with a great wait staff and superb food, then Verjus is the place for you. The owners are friendly and very solicitous. The food was as anticipated...great, and the wine selection was also good. The wait staff was friendly and courteous. There is a private parking lot adjacent to the restaurant. I would most definitely go back.Special Features:
- Somewhat hidden neighborhood gem.CarolynDined on 6/1/2014As many have noted, Verjus is somewhat out of the main way in Maplewood, not in the Village but on Springfield Ave. It is rather nondescript on the outside, but comfortable and attractive enough inside. The food is outstanding and the service was excellent, at least the night we went there. The owner spoke with us for quite a while and she was delightful. Verjus is only a couple of blocks from where we live, and yet we had never been there (in 8 years). Now that we have broken the ice though, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find in MaplewoodFleaVIPDined on 5/25/2014Passed this place for years and can't believe it took me this long to stop. Delicious, generous portions. Attentive servers. Gracious host. Brunch was delightful. Raspberry Bellini, duck terrine, crab cakes with no fillers all thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyAnn286Dined on 5/16/2014Verjus is simple food cooked expertly. A French bistro menu, the moules frites (mussels and fries), I had were perfect. Tender with the right amount of sauce, a wine, garlic concoction of beauty. Thank goodness the hostess came over and offered a little extra warm bread to dip in the sauce. The bowl was clean when it returned to the kitchen. My husband enjoyed everything that came across his plate. The best ending was the crepe with apricot. The apricots were tart and fresh and a perfect balance to the sweetness of the crepe and cream it was served with. Verjus is a place I always look forward to visiting and hope to go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightfulDelishVIPDined on 5/14/2014Ver Jus is a lovely restaurant. The food is excellent and beautifully presented. The acoustics are such that quiet conversation is possible even when large groups are in the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingJagrVIPDined on 5/13/2014We have been coming here for a number of years and the food is consistently excellent. The roast chicken was perfectly cooked. Mu friend had the scallops and they were fabulous. Whatever we have ordered has been skillfully prepared and delicious. This is one of the best restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.