43 East 20th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.veritas-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2123533700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:00PM - 11:00PM
Friday - Saturday 5:00PM - 11:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sam Hazen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Veritas is available for full buyouts events ONLY. Please inquire within.
- Private Party Contact: Stacy Lasprogato 2123533700
A word from Veritas
Veritas, awarded "★★★" from the New York Times (March 16th, 2011), has re-opened under Executive Chef and owner Sam Hazen. The new Veritas offers one of the most decorated and recognized wine programs in the world, and Chef Hazen's masterfully executed seasonal American cuisine via a la carte and bar menus. In this new incarnation of Veritas, Chef Hazen is returning to his roots. His engaging, intimate dishes are crafted of only the highest quality meats, game, and produce, worldwide. Likewise, the unparalleled wine cellar offers a broad range of selections from the all the premier growing regions, at all price levels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Veritas reviews from OpenTable diners
- Someplace new on a business trip...JimCDined on 10/27/2013Ate at Veritas with three others on a recent business trip to New York. It was a Sunday evening, and most of the places I know in lower Manhattan were closed that evening, so we ventured a little further north to try something new. None of us had ever been to Veritas before, but we will definitely be back next time we're in town. Each of us ordered different things -- the menu was very interesting, and I had trouble narrowing down my choices. Everything was excellent. The wine list is very extensive, and with the number of high-end choices, a bit of a shock at first. However, we were able to find a nice vouvray that was perfect with our meal without breaking the bank. Great place -- highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good but notDinerVIPDined on 10/27/2013The food was good but not great. Leeks on top of the appetizer were hard to cut and the duck main course was too fatty. The real issue was the wine list. There were about 12 bottles or so in the $50 to $135 price range; there were a few priced $200 to #300 and the rest ranged from $400 to $4,000 a bottle. It was really pretentious and indeed silly.. Page after page of wines that even wine aficionados are not going to buy at those prices. We eat out all the time and like to drink wine, and we do so at fine restaurants around the country and in many cities around the world. But the prices at Veritias make the wine inaccessible for all but those spending expense account money or for whom money is no object. It was very disappointing.
- seth dhsethfromdhVIPDined on 10/25/2013food is among the best anywhere. wine list is incredible. i've never been diappointed at veritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining a Experienceanno50Dined on 10/16/2013I would not mind returning to Veritas to try other dishes on the menu. My husband had the "wooly pig"( love the name!) and I, the duck.bith dishes were memorable and the wines were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under-rated - outstanding fooddrfloyd21Dined on 10/11/2013While I'm not a huge fan of the "new" dining room, the food is outstanding. Second great meal this year - had a file mignon w/ Roquefort which was one of the best steaks in my life. The wine list is decent but the "affordable" bargains from the collection are harder and harder to find - not sure who orders the $10K+ bottles but that's not my bag. Service is a bit mixed but gets the job done. The chef is often out in the dining room chatting w/ customers. I would say by NYC standards this restaurant is hitting above its weight. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the gift of a muffin whenpopiDined on 10/11/2013the gift of a muffin when you leave the place is a very nice "extra" gesture. Also, very delicious!!Special Features:
- Excellent foodestebanDined on 10/11/2013Dined there on Friday 10/11/13 before a show and the food was excellent. Everything we tried was well-prepared and delicious. Vast wine choices. We would recommend Veritas to anyone looking for great wine and food if willing to spend a bit for a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC GemCid75Dined on 10/10/2013This restaurant was such a pleasant surprise. There are so many places to pick from in NYC. Everything was excellent, from the atmosphere to the service and especially the food. If you like wine, this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and very expensiveJamesDined on 10/9/2013Save your money and go across the street to Gramercy Tavern. Appetizers were not good. In fact we got the Land and Sea, and while we normally love marrow and lobster we ended up taking only a few bites and leaving the rest. Main courses were actually good, which was a nice surprise. Service was okay, we had to ask for bread, and pepper, and waited far too long for another glass of wine. This on a Wednesday when it wasn't too busy. Atmosphere blows. There's no style and the lighting is harsh. We won't be going back...Special Features:
- Overall, very good, with trulyReviewerVIPDined on 10/5/2013Overall, very good, with truly excellent food and wine. The banquettes are too low, service slow and spotty. Still, it is well worth the food and wine, which is what we are or should be looking for, after all. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second choice.luvchefsDined on 10/4/2013After losing two members of our party, we also lost our dinner reservation. (rest. unnamed). I did a quick check into NYC's best restaurants and decided on Veritas. It was given a 4.5 star rating. My nephew is an executive chef and also his fiancee. He was not familiar with this chef but gave recommendations based on the menu. Great choices! The appetizer was "superb", meal delicious, dessert that was perfect and the service was impeccable. I would definitely recommend this rest. to anyone in or visiting the NYC area. The wine menu is extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "truth":CemmalouDined on 10/1/2013My boyfriend and I visited Veritas after purchasing a deal/voucher for wine flights and bar bites. For bites, we ordered the charred bread with honey ricotta and the steak tartare. We went with the Ocean & Land (lobster and bone marrow) as well. Everything was delicious and the staff was very pleasant. My boyfriend ordered a cocktail and wasn't blown away - but I think this restaurant is more notable for the wine selection anyway. Recommended for a nice date outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderful from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2013Our dinner was just wonderful from the moment we walked in until we finished our incredible desert. The seared tuna with the foie gras was amazing !!! Plus an added bonus, the chef Sam Hazen, stopped by chatted with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Lovely!MNM135VIPDined on 9/21/2013Very special evening, great service from the moment you walk in the door. Beautifu setting that is casual and elegant at the same time so you just feel comfortable. Fantastic wine list, with great options at different prices. The food was very good -- just shy of being as great as the surroundings and the service. Perfect place to go with someone you want to spend some time with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but price point highRolstoDined on 9/21/2013Food done well, I have to say that, however, striped bass perhaps 3oz. Priced at $38. I am no exercise fiend, but went home and snacked after appetizer and desert as well. I left hungry. Music loud. Members in my party all have difft tastes and preferences for restaurant environment, but all agreed. Something amiss with selections and volume. Seemed out of sync with restaurant. Service was utterly superb.Special Features:
- great findSGFMDDined on 9/21/2013My wife and I dined at Veritas for the first time this past weekend and it was a great surprise. This neighborhood gem served fresh, oustanding food and the staff was knowledgeable and attentive. We will be back asap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2013Fabulous attentive service without hovering, which we hate. Unique, perfectly prepared food with the most interesting wine list anywhere. A supremely refined meal.Special Features:
- my husband's new favorite placepriscaDined on 9/12/2013I wasn't able to make it but my husband liked it very much as did the rest of the party
- Veritas is a food and wineRobertDined on 9/9/2013Veritas is a food and wine sanctuary! Everything about the food is extraordinary and the wine list is world class! This is a place I go when I need to nourish my body, mind and soul...the whole experience is refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find.BellacuginaVIPDined on 9/7/2013A friend suggested this place- we were meeting some friends- a group of 5- everyone at restaurant was very friendly and attentive. Wine list was huge. Our waiter was very helpful- went with all of her suggestions- everyone loved their dishes. Also loved that the restaurant was not too noisy- great for having conversations without having to scream. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations missedRoxyDined on 9/7/2013The waiting staff gave us a good welcome, but the real disappointment was the male sommelier. Having appeared he managed to intimidate and patronise me. I am a reasonably experienced wine enthusiast and needed friendly guidance - however I was left feeling foolish. If we had had the female sommelier I think we would have had a better impression. The food was mixed with the scallop and foie gras starter lacking flavour but the Strawberry and Elderflower dessert was sublime. Over all mixed and a bill for $400 to boot.Special Features:
- A sleeping gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/3/2013I have no idea why this restaurant isn't more popular. I've been there twice now, and I think that in terms of a la carte dining (non-sushi/chef's menu) it can go head-to-head with pretty much any restaurant in the city. The only minor disappointment from our table of 4 (3 of whom were repeat diners) was the the chicken was prepared with truffle butter, but not described as such on the menu (it's a strong enough flavor that it should be disclosed ahead of time). That and perhaps the fact that I can only afford about 5% of the wines on the list...and even that may be a generous estimate. For a special occasion or to impress a particularly discriminating eater, I would put Veritas high on my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never as good as the first time?pbgalaDined on 9/3/2013I had been to Veritas once before and it had been absolutelu amazing! I took a friend for her first time and was disappointed that it fell short of my first experience. I tried the land and sea appetizer. Lobster was good but the bone marrow was very greasy and I found the presentation off-putting. My friends prosciutto-wrapped scallops were so salty that the scallops were completely overpowered. The reisling recommended to us didn't realy stand up to these two dishes, although it was a pleasant wine. I would go back for another try; not sure my friend would. The price seemed less justified this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Veritas manyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/31/2013We have been to Veritas many times and have always left feeling well taken care of and very well fed! Chef Sam Hazen turns out consistently delicious food and the staff are always helpful and attentive. The duck is the best I've had in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and the service werejerseyeaterVIPDined on 8/28/2013The food and the service were equal to the wine -- which is very high praise. While certainly not an inexpensive meal (and with the wine list, the sky is leiterally the limit) everything was superb Particular praise for the service -- from the bartender to the waiter -- everyone made us feel both at home and like we were somewhere special. A special treat, but one very much worth it.Special Features:
- Great for conversation!curl2winDined on 8/23/2013Want good food and a quiet place to talk? Hard to find in NYC. Do give Veritas a try. The food was top notch and we were able to converse without loud music or noise bouncing off hard surfaces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine lovers paradiseMarkVIPDined on 8/13/2013Contact you financial advisor before opening the wine list - more of an encyclopedia really. Excellent choice and huge range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More of the Same Good ThingMonginoVIPDined on 8/10/2013Excellent Food & Service, featuring gourmet American artisanal food/techniquesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Spectacular!PeterVIPDined on 8/10/2013Another delightful experience at Veritas. Perhaps the best filet I've ever had, and fried oysters that were incredible. The market special is always a treat. And Sam Hazen is always personal and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food - one of theOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/10/2013Incredible food - one of the best meals I have had in New York. The wine list is extraordinary, but frighteningly expensive. The choice of sub-$100 bottles is limited. But my overseas guests loved it all !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the place. food consistentlyCHMJRVIPDined on 7/22/2013love the place. food consistently good. need to tone down wine experience so 1980'sSpecial Features:
- would go back for surealp1VIPDined on 7/20/2013We enjoyed the crab salad and scallop appetizer. For entrees the venison loin and filet were excellent. The standout of the night was the rhubarb tart .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Boring, better thanOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/15/2013Good but Boring, better than the Tourist Trap across the street.Special Features:
- Overall outstandingWinning23Dined on 6/13/2013Highly recommend, the food is delicious and unique and the service is friendly and welcoming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu descriptions are bareeat2muchDined on 6/8/2013Menu descriptions are bare bone, but the presentation, preparation and quality ingredients was top notch for every dish we ordered: lobster/marrow + beef transition for appetizers, followed by scallops + lamb. Exceptional value, which is unusual at this price point. Outstanding all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We did the chef's tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/7/2013We did the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing and gave Chef Sam "free rein" with the menu. The food was delicious and the wine pairing was great. The atmosphere was intimate and not overly formal, and it was great having the chef come to the table. We had never had blow-fish before - delicious! Not usually a fan of oysters but these were superb. And the filet was so tender. Would highly recommend this restaurant. Pricey but well worth it. We plan to go back with our next trip to New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful dinnerfussyfemaleVIPDined on 6/5/2013We had a wonderful dinner at Veritas. The food was presented graciously - looked beautiful and tasted great. A special place!Special Features:
- NYC eventOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2013I was in New York with a friend for the weekend and we decided to have a splurge dinner. Veritas had a 3 star NYT review and wasn't far from our hotel so we chose it. The service was excellent and the food was delicious and creative (without being weird). We only got wines from the glass pour list so I can't comment on the enormous wine list but the wines we tried were wonderful and not run of the mill at all. The hard part was trying to fit dessert in at the end - we split one and couldn't finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was great, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/29/2013The service was great, food was tasty and interesting. Cheese plate is a must!Special Features:
- No Disappointment Here!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2013This was my second visit, and definitely will not be the last. The food was declicious, with perfectly developed flavors and a presentation that matched the quality. The service was excellent. Our waiter, Steven, provided such great descriptions of various menu items, I wanted them all. Everything he suggested was spot on. I had the maple-brined wooly pig that was so tender and full of flavor. We shared a crab salad appetizer that was the best I have ever had. Then there was the chocolate mud pie... The evening was well-paced and not rushed. Carol KSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.