15 E. Winter St.
Delaware, OH 43015Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.veritastavern.com/
- Phone: (740) 417-4074
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua C Dalton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Veritas Tavern
At Veritas Tavern, we are committed to providing you a positively unique dining experience. Dishes are served as Small Plates in order to present you the opportunity to enjoy an assortment of our traditional and unexpected flavor combinations. While each dish stands alone, they are best consumed in succession with friends. We encourage sharing food, as it inevitably sparks conversation and community, transforming a meal into a memory. Our mission to accomplish a successful dish includes applying the use of the most classic and modern techniques. We are proud of our ingredients and strive to achieve clarity of flavor from each while purposefully choosing every plate’s elements. For us, a successful dish is not only a beautiful and delicious dish, but also one that serves as a catalyst in a journey of aesthetics, texture, and taste. Veritas Tavern does not accept requests for additions, subtractions, or substitutions. Please alert your server regarding any dietary restrictions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Veritas Tavern - Best Restaurants in Delaware ›
Veritas Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (13)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (5)good for groups (2)Show More
- Mae1793Dined on 11/15/2014The food was absolutely amazing. However, I felt that our waitress was much more attentive to other tables. My friend and I are college students and I feel that she did not take us seriously and acted a bit snobbish towards us. Once again, I LOVED the food. However, I probably wouldn't go back because of the service we received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to be featured on The Food Network.AmbroseDined on 11/14/2014Felt like I was a judge on Top Chef. Food was wonderful and creative. Get all the seafood dishes. Each small plate comes out separately and there was a bit of a wait between. In the meantime, we sipped on wines and cocktails I've never heard of. The waiter brought us little "bonuses" from the kitchen if the wait was more than 10 minutes or so between. Plan on spending a little bit of time here. It was awesome. The best spot I've been to in Columbus by far. The place itself is a small bar with only 7 or 8 tables crammed in. When I go again, I'll probably sit at the bar. It seemed to be where all the action was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Columbus…ThomasAbdominalDined on 10/10/2014It just happens to be in Delaware. Creative menu, excellent execution. Fantastic cocktail menu to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown Away!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014wow, where do I start? Amazing!!!! The cocktails are incredible, ask your waiter not only do they make the cocktails they know everything about them. Our server Tristan asked the right questions and steered us in the right direction (and a bonus, its happy hour until 6:30!) I can't believe we haven't discovered this hidden gem before now...all of the items are served small plates (like tapas) so you can try many different items. I can say were loved everything we tried, the Feta Dip, Butternut Squash & Ravioli, Blue Prawns and smoked Fettuccine, Pork Belly, Bacon Risotto and my very favorite Gnocchi and crab. My hubby and I are in agreement that this is an incredible find and we can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Always a treatCbus22VIPDined on 9/16/2014This was our 4th visit to Veritas and it is always new and interesting. Not only is the food exceptional but so are the drinks. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order Everything. I mean EverythingSBETHOHVIPDined on 9/13/2014We went with a group of 5 people and had made reservations 3+ weeks prior on a Saturday evening. After getting some previous advice on how to tackle the great choices - we ordered one of EVERYTHING. Do it. What a wonderful journey of food and the owner/staff are amazing to help guide choices and make some off the menu cocktails etc. Can't say enough good things!Special Features:
- A Hidden GemCbusForagerDined on 9/11/2014Incredible menu of items make it hard not to want to try it all, but portions allow for sharing. Amazing cocktails to accompany a delectable menu. I'd highly recommend making the trip for anyone in Columbus our surrounding cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveJpohVIPDined on 8/28/2014The bacon risotto was unbelievable! They food reflects the care they take in preparing it.Special Features:
- Great for a dateWannabeFoodieDined on 8/21/2014We had the flatbread, feta, and cucumber for an appetizer... Was very good. Our waiter, Tristan, knew the menu and made some really good reccomendatiobs. We had the bacon small plate and the flatiron steak... We waited quite some time for them. Didn't mind because the company was good. Both meals were very good and the presentation was excellent. Our waiter offered either free dessert or shooters to offset the wait. We opted for the drink and it was out of this world. Overall, if you aren't in a hurry.. This small gem is the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special treat!gmamax2Dined on 8/19/2014We've been reading reviews of this place and decided to give it a try and what a wonderful find it is. The food is so creative, beautifully presented and really, really tasty. The cocktail menu is amazing and again quite creative. Our server was so knowledgeable about not only the food and what is in it but gave us great detail on the drinks we ordered and what they contain. Portions are small (clearly stated on the menu) but we found a shared appetizer, a small plate for each of us and a shared minimalist dessert was quite satisfying. What a treasure to find in such an unpretentious setting!Special Features:
- Thoughtfully Beautiful FoodGriffeygalDined on 8/1/2014Amazing beautiful and delicious. From the cocktails to every bite of every plate, there was not a detail that was overlooked. What an amazing experience! Thank you for such a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Veritas Tavern reviews archive.
- Adult Dining at it's BestRosaDined on 7/23/2014We can say with confidence that the food is exceptional. The wine list is good, but their bar drinks are superior. The ambience is laid back:Servers are relaxed and knowledgeable. If you are looking for snappy or solicitous service go elsewhere. Two minor exceptions to their excellent reputation: 1) One date night we were seated next to a family with an active baby. The family did a very good job keeping the child quiet, but we had to endure glares from the grandmother. 2) Valentines Dinner:Per their reservation and confirmation, we were nicely told to be timely. Ironically, we arrived 15 mins. prior to an unprepared dining room and a stressed female bartender, but Peter took care of us and we had a wonderful time and truly great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consumable artSolsearcherDined on 7/17/2014GET THE Bacon Risotto! The plating was beautiful and the flavor development was pure art. The chef openly tells diners in the menu that alterations and special orders will not be made. Based on the five dishes and two cocktails we had, asking for special alterations in preparation or presentation would seem like asking a great painter to create a masterpiece without a primary color. This was easily the most amazing food we've found in Central Ohio outside of our own kitchen in years. The space is a small but clean bar with just five raised tables for four. The dishes are "small plate" so expect a party of two to need four or five plates to be full. Service was sophisticated casual with helpful, friendly and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSandyDined on 7/4/2014Delicious food, perfectly prepared and plated. Small plates are very pricey (view menu on their website) . Lamb, shrimp and oysters were all delectable, with just the right amount of sauces, so as not to overwhelm the taste of the protein. We were there early evening, on a holiday, and for most of our meal, we were the only patrons, so I can not truly say what the sound level or vibrancy of the restaurant is. It is a small space, so I am guessing things would get lively. Extensive list of creative cocktails with half price happy hour. Food prepared with this precision takes time to get to the table, and some of the small plate prices are very expensive, so be aware that your bill will match your appetite.Special Features:
- Knitlady2Knitlady2Dined on 6/26/2014A wonderful find - took our nearly 90 year old parents there to celebrate a birthday and all was just superb - everything we tried was delicious and our waitress was excellent at suggesting items from the menu. A perfect evening. We've travelled and eaten all over the world and this restaurant is right up there with the best we've been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food...jlo1Dined on 6/24/2014And the drinks are even better. We tried several cocktails - all were delicious. The Pimm's Cup was especially refreshing on a hot summer day. The tasting menu with drink pairings was a treat, in particular the grilled oysters. A taste sensation. One word of warning: it is a very small restaurant - only 5 tables and a small bar, so reservations are essential. Service was excellent; be prepared for longish wait times since everything is prepared individually. Tristan and Nicole (?) were thoughtful and helpful waiters/bartenders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails first priorityWineguyVIPDined on 6/24/2014This place seemed like a bunch of college buddies that went to Next and Alinea in Chicago and said, "hey, we can do that!" The food is interesting and they are experimenting with interesting combinations, which is great. Implementation was a bit off though. Its a small plate format and we ordered 2 fish, 1 veggie and 2 meat courses. They served a meat course first then a fish and the veggie basically at the same time then the other meat and then there was a pause of 15 minutes and the last fish dish was served. The overall time for the meal was a reasonable two hours, however, there were periods where we seemed rushed and others where we seeemed to wait too long. The cocktails are awesome but again, service was a bit off.Special Features:
- Exceptional!RMLMDined on 6/18/2014Absolutely can not say enough about Veritas! The service is fantastic, the drink menu is unique and the food is exceptional!!
- Great, Unique DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014Very unique, delicious plates and an entire spectrum of drink choices to pair with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I cannot believe it is in DelawareChicagovisitorVIPDined on 6/6/2014Veritas Tavern is a very small but wonderful place and it has become one of our favorites. It focuses on shareable small plates and creative drinks. The food is adventurous and innovative, everything we have tried has been excellent. Drinks are custom-made in there is a reasonable choice of wines. Veritas has become popular so it is a little bit difficult to get in but that is a good thing, we want for it to be successful and stay in Delaware.Special Features:
- First Time, Not LastPhilVIPDined on 5/28/2014This was our first time dining at Veritas and it will not be the last! Great dining experience! Starting with an outstanding drink menu, through the great list of small plates and ending with dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Have never been disappointed at Veritas. Amazing food, fantastic staff. Always something new and different. I hope it's in Delaware for a long time to come.Special Features:
- Creative cooking in Delaware!SmiggersDined on 4/24/2014Three of us had dinner and a $37 dollar bottle of wine. The tab, including tip was $186. Yes, we had enough to eat but the small plates seemed to divide perfectly for three and after sharing six of them including a flat bread with goat cheese, our appetites were pleasantly satisfied. Highlites were the aforementioned flat bread, crab gnochi with truffles, pork belly and rissotto dishes. Forget the bread service, and stick with the flat bread/cheese. The wine list is varied with a number of interesting choices. Service slowed as the tavern filled, and this is a small place and I'm not sure what they would do with a party of 6! We'll be back and bring some foodie friends with us next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place to eat.elway744Dined on 4/18/2014We went to Veritas at the beginning of dinner service. First of all, there are only four or five tables and about twenty bar seats. Do not let this scare you away. The food was wonderful and the drinks were legendary. There were some issues with service but that did not hamper the evening. On a side note, the menu is a small plate set-up. However, with appetizers and the bread service, the entree was the perfect compliment.Special Features:
- Worth the drive from Columbus!DuggDined on 4/3/2014We ventured north from columbus to visit Veritas in downtown Delaware. Parking was a little bit of an issue but we eventually found a spot and had a nice, short walk to get there. We sat at the bar, enjoying the great service and conversation from the bartender Nicole. The house made cocktails were creative and delicious and the wine list is adequate and very fairly priced. The small plate, tapas style dining at Veritas is just my speed but if you are expecting a giant serving of pasta or a traditional entree this is not the place for you. The duck nuggets are a must. The scallops were good but overpriced. The raw oysters were fresh and inspired. And the crab gnocci with truffles was itself worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014The menu is small but the food was fantastic. The lighting was dim enough I could barely see the menu and I had to raise my voice to be heard over the punk-ish music. Definitely a tavern vibe rather than an intimate dinner spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but get out your checkbook.rucn2020VIPDined on 3/22/2014First time here, very good food - small plates, yes "small plates." Halibut was about a 2 inch by 2 inch for $24 - so if you're OK with that, the food is very tasty. $110 for a shared starer and two small plates and 3 glasses of wine. Good, but many more better fine dining places in Columbus (this was Delaware!) to choose from. Will not come back.Special Features:
- Always an enjoyable nightJenniferDined on 3/18/2014Four of us went on a tuesday so Veritas wasn't as busy as it is on Fridays or Saturdays when we usually go. Everything quality takes time to prepare, but the thing that takes the most time is the decision on which of the drinks and small plates to choose. Happily at some point we will make it through the numerous and diverse drink concoctions but since everything is always changing, who knows? It is wonderful for a dinner stop or just a couple of drinks. The attention to detail is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeWannabefoodie2Dined on 3/14/2014Very good food, bartender seemed new to the restaurant, liked the atmosphere. The seats were not comfortable but still a great place for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veritas shinesparticulardinerDined on 3/14/2014Veritas is a wonderful dining experience. Their food is innovative and delicious. Everything is fabulous. The cocktails are interesting and handcrafted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's the TRUTHOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014this celebrated restaurant has unexpected food, e.g., blue cheese, port wine on a chocolate biscuit--wonderful. the waiter was new to the job, and knew few answers. nice kid. lights too low, very noisy small room. delaware deserves an experimental restaurant and everyone was happy.Special Features:
- Great food, slow and spotty serviceChandraDined on 3/1/2014The food was as great as we had heard it was. Imaginative, well-executed, tasty dishes. Small plates could be shared. The service surprisingly poor. We waited a loong time after being seated for the waitress to show up to take our drink orders. The menu goes to the great trouble of suggesting pairing wines for each dish. Fifteen minutes after one such dish was delivered, the pairing wine we had ordered had not arrived yet - meanwhile, the dish was getting cold, so we ate it. I don't think it was the waitress's problem -- it was just poor organization. Next time, we will just order a bottle, not caring about pairing, and just enjoy it with a variety of dishes. The bottom line, though, is that the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They are doing great work here. Go!FashizzleDined on 2/26/2014Unknown little place in sleepy town Delaware. Creative chefs doing great dishes with tremendous care and effort. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/22/2014Everything on the menu is amazing. Cocktails are thoughtfully made and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything hand craftedRigbyJamesDined on 2/20/2014Server was knowledgeable and attentive; drinks were outstanding, fresh and perfectly created. Food was one great taste after another. Pork Belly was fresh, spices were just right! Halibut was probably the most simple dish, but outstanding in its own right. Risotto was extremely flavorful and cooked to perfection Small, quaint spot that we would recommend for food lovers and drink lovers alike. Not a place for a big group unless you were reserving the entire restaurant. Bar is straight across and a bit tight in space. Tables made mostly for 4 people at a time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!Rebecca007Dined on 2/8/2014We have now been here twice and cannot say enough good things about it!! From the food to the drinks to the wait staff--an A+ experience from the moment you enter until you leave!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food-Nice PresentationOHFoodieDined on 1/18/2014We went to this unique restaurant for a special dinner and were greatly pleased. The potted blue cheese appetizer was very good. We ate 4 small courses of uniquely flavored, tapas-styled, entrees. Even though small by design they were full of flavor with excellent presentations. Peter, our waiter, was extremely knowledgeable of the food items and checked after each course to make sure we were enjoying our meal. They open for dinner at 5 pm and they only take reservations until 6 pm and have only 5 tables so plan early. The restaurant had a steady stream of diners for most of the night. Overall, it was an excellent evening, great food, and attentive staff. Highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place!CyntVIPDined on 1/11/2014The food here is unique, very tasty and beautifully prepared, we will be backSpecial Features:
- ExcellentsuzaDined on 12/28/2013I have waiting a year to visit this restaurant after reading so many good reviews. We were not disappointed. Everything we tasted brought an "oh wow!" responce to the complex flavors. Don't miss the brussel sprouts if they are on the menu. I believe this may be the most innovative restaurant in central Ohio. I wish it was not so far away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.