Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina
5491 Penn Ave,
Pittsburgh, PA 15206Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.verdepgh.com/
- Phone: 4124048487x
- Hours of Operation:
Open at 11am every day. Lunch menu available until 5pm Mon-Sat. Brunch menu available until 3pm Sun. Cantina stays open late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Fairmount
- Public Transit: Save the parking hassle and take the bus! Consult the Port Authority website for details on the 88 (up/down Penn Ave), 87 (from downtown), 77 (from Monroeville), and more.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: As a city restaurant, please respect our neighboring residents and businesses by parking only in designated areas. Bueno/Good: parking lot behind our building in one of the 6 designated Verde spots, OR street parking on Penn or Fairmount in the non-residential zones. Malo/Bad: any space in the lot behind our building other than the 6 for Verde. Towing will occur. Please ask management for questions. Muchas Gracias!
A word from Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina
Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina celebrates the rich culinary diversity of Mexico by drawing upon traditional flavors and authentic ingredients to bring modern Mexican cuisine to Pittsburgh. The vibrance of the open dining room is matched by the creativity of the menu and cocktail list, both of which explore and expand on familiar Mexican fare. Verde of course means "green" in Spanish, and this name is a reflection of the restaurant’s mission of supporting local growers and providing fresh ingredients in its chef-driven cuisine whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (30)fit for foodies (27)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (16)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (13)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)romantic (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Verde Brings ItSkueDined on 9/12/2014We've been to Verde several times. The menu has changed, but the quality of the food is very good. Our servers have always been helpful and courteous, very accessible. My only complaint is how hard they "push" the rather pricey guacamole - no means no. We do tend to dine early when it is less crowded and we don't drink alcohol. The owner is generous to the community. I'm planning to try their lunch hours. Verde is a little pricey for us to visit regularly, but we definitely have it on our list especially when we are in the East End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Verde has a good twist on Mexican!MoniqueiciVIPDined on 8/31/2014Verde Cantina has high quality food. Although the menu is small I always have a difficult time deciding what to order. And the drinks!!!Special Features:
- Would not recommendcasiDined on 8/29/2014Food & drinks were overpriced. Tacos were served without sides. I have never been to a Mexican restaurant that you had to pay extra for rice/beans. They are always included. We were charged $3.00 for an red salsa and $3.00 for a green salsa that should have been complimentary. Quality of food did not match the price. Service was ok at best.Special Features:
- A perfect birthday brunch.DeskLazerDined on 8/24/2014I brought my parents here for brunch; for the longest time, I wanted to stop in here because I heard it was outstanding. I've been here many times for dinner, but never for any other meals. Verde did not disappoint. The Huevos Benedictos (Eggs Benedict) were unreal. That guajillo-hollandaise was nothing short of incredible. I regret not coming for brunch sooner! I would also highly recommend their margaritas, which are absolutely killer and a great deal. My parents ended up getting the fish tacos which were also super tasty, and we got the housemade chips and tomatillo, which I find to be their best salsa. You can't go wrong with the guac or pico, but the tomatillo is king.Special Features:
- YumStephDined on 8/17/2014I went to Verde with my family for my brother's birthday. There was literally no one else in the restaurant when we arrived (more groups came later). The menu seemed smaller than usual.. I'm not sure if this was because it's restaurant week or if this is just how it is now? Overall, the food was delicious as usual. Margaritas were good. The service was okay. I'll definitely be going back, because it's very good, spicy, Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Me, my girlfriend, and a couple we are friends with dined at Verde for brunch. The food and drinks were great. I also enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant. Two negatives included the service (sub-par at best), and the drink prices were too expensive for what you received. We found ourselves waiting for a server to order another drink routinely throughout the morning / early afternoon. Two out of the four food orders were delivered incorrectly (based on our server, I am guessing the fault was on her end rather than the kitchen). Also, $8.00 for a Bloody Mary at brunch is not excusable. I doubt I would recommend Verde unless they went out of their way to make note of these negatives.Special Features:
- One of my new favorite brunch spotsFriendlyBurghFoodieDined on 8/17/2014Colorful, vibrant and fun restaurant environment! WONDERFUL drinks! Great service and a SPECTACULAR brunch! I highly recommend Verde! :DSpecial Features:
- BethDined on 8/16/2014The food and service were both very good. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use work, but has potentialAshleyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Came here for restaurant week; hostess and bussers were friendly, server less so. Our appetizers came out quickly- but our entrees followed about a minute or two after our appetizers. The appetizers (I had the corn, my boyfriend had the sweet potatoes) were good, and my boyfriend loved the tacos he had for dinner, but my entree of pollo en mole was really subpar. It didn't indicate on the menu that it would be a leg of chicken, which I'm not a fan of, and the meat was really dry. Dessert was good, but not outstanding. Overall, I would say this would be a good happy hour spot- good drinks, good tacos, nice setting- but as a full course meal, it could use a little work.Special Features:
- Don't judge a book by its coverknitsallgoodDined on 8/16/2014The food was beautifully presented, but lacked complex flavors. The pico de gallo was nearly tasteless, the corn tasted like the char on it, the sweet potatoes drowned in a yogurt sauce, the enchiladas verduras tasted like the mole sauce and only the mole sauce. Dessert was fantastic, and the mojito was perfection, but I hoped for a tastier dinner.Special Features:
- Loved this!paddlerDined on 8/14/2014We visited Verde during Restaurant Week and ordered the special set menu. It was a great way to try a bit of everything from the menu! Service was great - I appreciate my water being refilled without having to flag down the waitress - and the food was good. My Pollo Asado was definitely better than my daughter's Carne Asada - just a bit overcooked. The best dish was hands down the tres leche type cake. so moist! All in all, a pleasant experience. Would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing was goodGbondVIPDined on 8/9/2014We made a reservation for a Saturday night for a birthday. Not sure why we needed a reservation.....place was dead. our waiter came over and took drink orders then was waiting for us to order food. It always seemed like we were bothering him each time came to our table. No personality at all. Then the drinks were not good and the food was absolutely horrible. Not sure why there were good write ups but can only assume that was only early on when they were busy. But they were DEAD on a Saturday night. I would NOT recommend this place to others like I had in the past.
- Okay, but not overwhelmingneofoodieDined on 8/3/2014We went for Brunch which is nice, but doesn't seem to be a main focus of the restaurant. Still the food was good, the drinks above average, and the service friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PCLCDined on 8/2/2014It was our first time here--pleasantly surprised as the options were not the "typical" Mexican choices--everything was very tasty and portions were good, evern for the guys. Excited to see 1921 Creme of tequila on the bar menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itMelleuVIPDined on 8/1/2014They have the best tacos. I love the margaritas. They allow dogs on the patio.Special Features:
- Started Slow and Then Picked upredraiderVIPDined on 8/1/2014The evening started out a rocky. We were forced to sit at a two top when there were clearly many outdoor 4 tops available - I say forced because we had reservations and checked in while 2 woman were walk in customers and were allowed a 4 top when it was only the 2 diners like us. Sends a bad signal to customers with reservations that did ask for a 4 top only to be told all parties of 2 have to be sat at a 2 top. Clearly that is not accurate. We were seated at the 2 top as far away from everything, thus the 2 at the 4 top who were seated after us and had the same waiter were addressed first. We were second on the pecking list. Strange. Once we were waited on the service picked up. Once the food arrived it was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfavorable experienceskiersnowmanVIPDined on 7/25/2014This is my 2nd time to Verde after having a favorable experience the first time. However this time was not as good. The drinks were way over iced which made our drinks hardly worth the $8.00+ each. Also, our waitress was MIA almost the entire time. Our courses were delivered primarily by other wait staff, and our waitress only came by to check on our food 1 time, and we were practically finished at that point. The food prices are also egregiously high -- $26.00 for 6 tacos? Yes, they were good, but it's all hype unless the guest feels welcomed. Sadly, I do not believe I will be returning.
- Phenomenal New Mexican CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/4/2014This is one of the best Mexican Restaurants in Pittsburgh. The cocktails are creative and make good use of traditional Mexican Liquors and Tequilas. The tequila selection is amazing. Appetizers are novel and nothing like the routine fare in most Mexican Restaurants. the main courses weer appropriately spicy when indicated, but the flavors are all identifiable and their use of real Mexican spices and herbs comes out. Not overpowered by cheese and beans like most places in the City. One of the best Mexican restaurants in the city of DC is Oyamel. Verde has the food that compares on many respects to this DC star rated restaurant, but Verde is less pretentious and the staff are exceptionally friendlily. This is becoming a favorite.Special Features:
- Great food, very poor serviceKetkiDined on 7/2/2014The food was very good, great flavors. However, the service was very slow and poor. We were served by 3 different people and never found out who our waiter was. My husband had to go find one of the people who served us after and 15 minute wait and ask for the check. The service was poor despite the fact that there were only 2 more customers in the restaurant at the time.Special Features:
- PresbyteriankosuthVIPDined on 6/29/2014Tacos were very good, large selection, and well prepared. Entrees not so good. Chicken mole was bland, sort of boring. Mole does not to be hot but needs some spice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014great experience; innovative menu; wonderful food; conscientious service that responded to every whim; exceptional experienceSpecial Features:
- Beyond MexicanMoniqueiciVIPDined on 6/28/2014Verde is always delicious. The chef is creative and comes up with the most unusual combinations - that work! Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Verde!RestaurantloverDined on 6/23/2014Had a great late lunch at Verde. Our waitress was wonderful; very friendly. Lunch very reasonable and the tacos, guac and salsa were delicious. A little disappointed in the limited lunch menu. Looking forward to going back for dinner when the menu is more extensive!Special Features:
- Always a pleasure.DeskLazerDined on 6/17/2014I think every experience I've had here has been nothing short of fantastic. Attentive staff, great ambience, and getting to sit outside in beautiful weather is always a plus. Andrea has been our server any time we've not sat at the bar and she will often go above the call of duty to make us comfortable. I love this place and will continue to take my friends here for delicious meals and margaritas.Special Features:
- Brunch was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Had a great brunch at Verde for Father's Day. My whole family had a nice time and the food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Back on trackBubd63VIPDined on 6/14/2014We have been going to Verse since it opened. The food started out terrific and we we had several great dining experiences there. Then the chef left and was replaced. There menu changed and the food quality became disappointing. After a few more times we stopped going. We recently heard there was another change so we decided to try again. The menu gas been made simpler and the quality has come back. We had a very enjoyable experience and will be going back!Special Features:
- Excellent Mexican FoodHarryVIPDined on 6/13/2014By far the best Mexican food I have had in the city. The Mango Margarita(with infused pepper) was both refreshing and exhilarating to the palate. I ordered two kinds of tacos, shrimp and chorizo, both of which were extremely tasty. My wife, who is from Southern CA and is very critical of Mexican food in general , was most impressed. Verde is on the top of my list for Mexican Cuisine in the Burg. Treat yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not stereotypical Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2014This was our first time dining at Verde, and we enjoyed it. The food and service were very good, and the selection of tequilas is the best we have ever seen. What Verde serves is definitely not stereotypical Mexican cuisine...there is some creativity and originality here. The only drawback that I can identify is that the menu is somewhat limited in choices. But the choices they offer are well worth coming for.
- Quite Pleased2h0t4UDined on 6/7/2014I searched for a place to take my wife to dinner for a nice date night and saw that this one had outdoor dining. The weather was PERFECT for it so we went and really enjoyed the food and lovely tequila cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & Food.cmblanchDined on 6/7/2014Party of six on Saturday night. Great attentive service, tasty, well-presented, fresh Mexican food. We all loved it. Lots of fun. Six very happy diners. We will all be back.Special Features:
- a bit disappointedJJDDDined on 6/6/2014Second time we ate here, so looking forward to going back. Food portions small, my sweet potato dish was raw, not roasted. Waitress barely cared when I mentioned it to her. Chips and salsa were tasty. Just no WOW factor for us this time.
- Great Food and Fun AtmospherepodiganiDined on 5/30/2014This was a nice spot for a group dinner. Drinks were really good and food was yummy. The place is trendy, but not so trendy that it is pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Verde is nothing special.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014Verde is local middle tier restaurant. Nothing special.Special Features:
- food ehcitygalDined on 5/23/2014Just a few things: great bar scene and out door seating. The chips and guac were decent. Food- sweet pot fries were not cooked and overall the food was not warm. Not worth the expense.Special Features:
- The following 471 reviews are from the Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina reviews archive.
- FoodLoveFoodieDined on 5/18/2014The brunch menu was great - just enough choices and the description of each item was detailed enough to understand each item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!RosieArizonaDined on 5/17/2014As a girl who has spent most of her life in California, Texas and Arizona, it's hard to wow me with good Mexican food. I've have lots of it. But Verde Mexican Kitchen did that! From the offerings in the Tequila flights to the creativity and variety in the tacos, everything was excellent. And the food is terrific - especially the Queso Fundido and the Fish Tacos.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.LeahElizaDined on 5/15/2014I wish I had taken notes of our server's name so I could compliment her directly, but every service interaction we had (host, server, food runners) was impeccable. The enchiladas verduras was delicious, and the green salad was definitely more than the sum of it's parts, with the huge cubes of avocado, pickled red onions, and tangy cotija all playing off each other nicely. Highly recommended for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014It was my first time and I loved the look and feel of the restaurant, our server was very friendly and helpful with the menu. I was only disappointed because I was thinking it would be a special menu but I should have known that it would be. I am excited to try brunch again with the full menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and tacosOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014very original and tasty takes on tacos. It is likely not what you picture in your head and is definitely a foodie spin on it. Also, lots of fun cocktails and margaritas that are made with no filler.Special Features:
- Great tacosfood4thoughtDined on 5/5/2014We went for Cinco de Mayo because it was one of the few Mexican places that would take reservations. The margarita pitcher was strong (that was a good thing) but really quite small. We got four small servings from it. The tacos were really good. We had a variety, from fish to shrimp to chorizio to barbacoa. All were good. The salsas and guacamole were my favorite part of the meal.Special Features: