Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina
5491 Penn Ave,
Pittsburgh, PA 15206Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.verdepgh.com/
- Phone: (412) 404-8487
- Hours of Operation:
Open at 11am every day. Lunch menu available until 5pm Mon-Sat. Brunch menu available until 3pm Sun. Cantina stays open late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Fairmount
- Public Transit: Save the parking hassle and take the bus! Consult the Port Authority website for details on the 88 (up/down Penn Ave), 87 (from downtown), 77 (from Monroeville), and more.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: As a city restaurant, please respect our neighboring residents and businesses by parking only in designated areas. Bueno/Good: parking lot behind our building in one of the 6 designated Verde spots, OR street parking on Penn or Fairmount in the non-residential zones. Malo/Bad: any space in the lot behind our building other than the 6 for Verde. Towing will occur. Please ask management for questions. Muchas Gracias!
A word from Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina
Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina celebrates the rich culinary diversity of Mexico by drawing upon traditional flavors and authentic ingredients to bring modern Mexican cuisine to Pittsburgh. The vibrance of the open dining room is matched by the creativity of the menu and cocktail list, both of which explore and expand on familiar Mexican fare. Verde of course means "green" in Spanish, and this name is a reflection of the restaurant’s mission of supporting local growers and providing fresh ingredients in its chef-driven cuisine whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (25)great for outdoor dining (25)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (13)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (7)romantic (6)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Inconsistent but Generally Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014Brunch servers tend to take your order then forget you exist. They sit at the bar with their backs to the patrons while the patrons wait for missed items such as coffee, sides, etc. Kitchen has made several errors during our three most recent visits. Time to tighten things up and get back on track. This can be a great restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TacosTastesTacosDined on 11/8/2014This isn't Taco Bell. Unique ingredient combinations and flavors. 2-3 tacos make a great meal. Guacamole appetizer was good. Good drink menu with lots of Mexican flare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Verde Struggles AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014Food is very good. Order accuracy is poor. Service ranges from good to poor. Sunlight is nice but patrons need the option to lower a shade when sun is blasting the indoor tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our overall experience was an A+. The whole atmosphere was the most positive I've seen in a long time. Everybody working there seemed like they loved their job. The food was outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant to everybody and anybody! I will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great night...ScottDined on 10/23/2014Went for a special event, Veghacker. Quite underwhelming, and expensive for what is was... The highlights: Black eyed pea fritter were delicious, as were our cocktails. However, the Jackfruit tacos were over seasoned to the point they were nearly inedible, and the Empanada crust was a bit rubbery.
- Viva La Verde!!Me2paDined on 10/23/2014My friends and I had a great vegetarian tasting menu there on 10/23/14. Food was tasty, well prepared, and beautifully plated. I especially enjoyed the jackfruit tacos:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VegHacker Was Amazing!!!zurinayeemDined on 10/23/2014I've been to Verde in the past and loved it. But, I came for The Brazen Kitchen's VegHacker vegan dinner Thursday night (23 October 2014). It was a three course menu. I was impressed with how tasty and amazing each of the dishes are. It was the perfect dinner at the perfect venue. I hope someone at Verde puts some of these dishes (or their interpretations of them) on the menu in the future! :)Special Features:
- Subtle moleStayathomedinersDined on 10/4/2014More upscale Mexican with friendly wait-staff. Great chips and all nicely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014Good service. Very small portions hence being extremely expensive for what you get. Never going backSpecial Features:
- great tacos!loveNewRestaurantsDined on 10/2/2014I had one carnitas taco and one chicken taco. Both were great! The salsa was great as well! I'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Food was disappointing , no flavourSue1Dined on 9/27/2014Food was very disappointing , they completely forgot to put salt. Food had no flavor . Food was burnt . The presentation was very very poor. However the waitress was nice . I will not go back to this place again and I would not recommend it to any one . I had out of town company with me and I was ashamed. This place was good in the past but I don't know what happened to them , the whole experience was very bad this time . It was Saturday night at 8.30 .and restaurant was completely empty. It looks like the chef has changed because the food was very bad . The desserts way ok.Special Features:
- Food was OK - margaritas great!AlexanderFLDined on 9/27/2014The margaritas were very good - like they make them in Mexico. Fresh lime juice and not sweet. The food was decent but nothing spectacular. Had tacos with corn tortillas. The tortillas were thick and heavy almost like they were premade. The rice and beans had no flavor at all. Service was a little cold and not very friendly - but we found that to be the case at many restaurants in Pittsburgh. Staff could use some pointers on good customer service skills.
- THE BEST!verdeVIPDined on 9/26/2014We love this place! Sat outdoors on a crisp fall night and enjoyed some delicious tacos and beers with some friends. Highly recommend mixing it up with the taco specials!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good when busy and understaffedchinitaDined on 9/21/2014We went there with a group of 5 for brunch. There was a long wait of 25 minutes to be seated outside when there were tables available. The waitress explained that they were understaffed and sent one of their workers home due to slow customer traffic and then got slammed. Food was good except for the eggs benedict. One of us got the wrong eggs benedict and the other order was overcooked. The waitress explained that they ran out of groceries and had to run across the street to get eggs and I would not get my eggs redone. She apologized but did nothing to rectify our dissatisfaction. The pitchers of sangria that we ordered were also not made correctly due to low staffing. It was a great disappointment.Special Features:
- I would give them another chance.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The biggest ding is the service. Had to wait for the host. Had to wait more than 10 minutes for waters. Hard to say how much longer before the server popped by. Once someone else delivered our food and the server did the customary "how's it tasting", then she was AWOL well past when the check should have been delivered. Given that this occurred during a light brunch crowd, it is not okay. The fish tacos are fantastic. The salad my friend ordered was nice, but too small to be considered a standalone meal. The rice and beans that accompanied my dish really needed more flavor. The margarita was great.Special Features:
- Verde Brings ItSkueDined on 9/12/2014We've been to Verde several times. The menu has changed, but the quality of the food is very good. Our servers have always been helpful and courteous, very accessible. My only complaint is how hard they "push" the rather pricey guacamole - no means no. We do tend to dine early when it is less crowded and we don't drink alcohol. The owner is generous to the community. I'm planning to try their lunch hours. Verde is a little pricey for us to visit regularly, but we definitely have it on our list especially when we are in the East End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Verde has a good twist on Mexican!MoniqueiciVIPDined on 8/31/2014Verde Cantina has high quality food. Although the menu is small I always have a difficult time deciding what to order. And the drinks!!!Special Features:
- Would not recommendcasiDined on 8/29/2014Food & drinks were overpriced. Tacos were served without sides. I have never been to a Mexican restaurant that you had to pay extra for rice/beans. They are always included. We were charged $3.00 for an red salsa and $3.00 for a green salsa that should have been complimentary. Quality of food did not match the price. Service was ok at best.Special Features:
- A perfect birthday brunch.DeskLazerDined on 8/24/2014I brought my parents here for brunch; for the longest time, I wanted to stop in here because I heard it was outstanding. I've been here many times for dinner, but never for any other meals. Verde did not disappoint. The Huevos Benedictos (Eggs Benedict) were unreal. That guajillo-hollandaise was nothing short of incredible. I regret not coming for brunch sooner! I would also highly recommend their margaritas, which are absolutely killer and a great deal. My parents ended up getting the fish tacos which were also super tasty, and we got the housemade chips and tomatillo, which I find to be their best salsa. You can't go wrong with the guac or pico, but the tomatillo is king.Special Features:
- YumStephDined on 8/17/2014I went to Verde with my family for my brother's birthday. There was literally no one else in the restaurant when we arrived (more groups came later). The menu seemed smaller than usual.. I'm not sure if this was because it's restaurant week or if this is just how it is now? Overall, the food was delicious as usual. Margaritas were good. The service was okay. I'll definitely be going back, because it's very good, spicy, Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Me, my girlfriend, and a couple we are friends with dined at Verde for brunch. The food and drinks were great. I also enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant. Two negatives included the service (sub-par at best), and the drink prices were too expensive for what you received. We found ourselves waiting for a server to order another drink routinely throughout the morning / early afternoon. Two out of the four food orders were delivered incorrectly (based on our server, I am guessing the fault was on her end rather than the kitchen). Also, $8.00 for a Bloody Mary at brunch is not excusable. I doubt I would recommend Verde unless they went out of their way to make note of these negatives.Special Features:
- One of my new favorite brunch spotsFriendlyBurghFoodieDined on 8/17/2014Colorful, vibrant and fun restaurant environment! WONDERFUL drinks! Great service and a SPECTACULAR brunch! I highly recommend Verde! :DSpecial Features:
- BethDined on 8/16/2014The food and service were both very good. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use work, but has potentialAshleyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Came here for restaurant week; hostess and bussers were friendly, server less so. Our appetizers came out quickly- but our entrees followed about a minute or two after our appetizers. The appetizers (I had the corn, my boyfriend had the sweet potatoes) were good, and my boyfriend loved the tacos he had for dinner, but my entree of pollo en mole was really subpar. It didn't indicate on the menu that it would be a leg of chicken, which I'm not a fan of, and the meat was really dry. Dessert was good, but not outstanding. Overall, I would say this would be a good happy hour spot- good drinks, good tacos, nice setting- but as a full course meal, it could use a little work.Special Features:
- Don't judge a book by its coverknitsallgoodDined on 8/16/2014The food was beautifully presented, but lacked complex flavors. The pico de gallo was nearly tasteless, the corn tasted like the char on it, the sweet potatoes drowned in a yogurt sauce, the enchiladas verduras tasted like the mole sauce and only the mole sauce. Dessert was fantastic, and the mojito was perfection, but I hoped for a tastier dinner.Special Features:
- Loved this!paddlerDined on 8/14/2014We visited Verde during Restaurant Week and ordered the special set menu. It was a great way to try a bit of everything from the menu! Service was great - I appreciate my water being refilled without having to flag down the waitress - and the food was good. My Pollo Asado was definitely better than my daughter's Carne Asada - just a bit overcooked. The best dish was hands down the tres leche type cake. so moist! All in all, a pleasant experience. Would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing was goodGbondVIPDined on 8/9/2014We made a reservation for a Saturday night for a birthday. Not sure why we needed a reservation.....place was dead. our waiter came over and took drink orders then was waiting for us to order food. It always seemed like we were bothering him each time came to our table. No personality at all. Then the drinks were not good and the food was absolutely horrible. Not sure why there were good write ups but can only assume that was only early on when they were busy. But they were DEAD on a Saturday night. I would NOT recommend this place to others like I had in the past.
- Okay, but not overwhelmingneofoodieDined on 8/3/2014We went for Brunch which is nice, but doesn't seem to be a main focus of the restaurant. Still the food was good, the drinks above average, and the service friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PCLCDined on 8/2/2014It was our first time here--pleasantly surprised as the options were not the "typical" Mexican choices--everything was very tasty and portions were good, evern for the guys. Excited to see 1921 Creme of tequila on the bar menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itMelleuVIPDined on 8/1/2014They have the best tacos. I love the margaritas. They allow dogs on the patio.Special Features:
- Started Slow and Then Picked upredraiderVIPDined on 8/1/2014The evening started out a rocky. We were forced to sit at a two top when there were clearly many outdoor 4 tops available - I say forced because we had reservations and checked in while 2 woman were walk in customers and were allowed a 4 top when it was only the 2 diners like us. Sends a bad signal to customers with reservations that did ask for a 4 top only to be told all parties of 2 have to be sat at a 2 top. Clearly that is not accurate. We were seated at the 2 top as far away from everything, thus the 2 at the 4 top who were seated after us and had the same waiter were addressed first. We were second on the pecking list. Strange. Once we were waited on the service picked up. Once the food arrived it was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfavorable experienceskiersnowmanVIPDined on 7/25/2014This is my 2nd time to Verde after having a favorable experience the first time. However this time was not as good. The drinks were way over iced which made our drinks hardly worth the $8.00+ each. Also, our waitress was MIA almost the entire time. Our courses were delivered primarily by other wait staff, and our waitress only came by to check on our food 1 time, and we were practically finished at that point. The food prices are also egregiously high -- $26.00 for 6 tacos? Yes, they were good, but it's all hype unless the guest feels welcomed. Sadly, I do not believe I will be returning.
- The following 488 reviews are from the Verde Mexican Kitchen & Cantina reviews archive.
- Phenomenal New Mexican CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/4/2014This is one of the best Mexican Restaurants in Pittsburgh. The cocktails are creative and make good use of traditional Mexican Liquors and Tequilas. The tequila selection is amazing. Appetizers are novel and nothing like the routine fare in most Mexican Restaurants. the main courses weer appropriately spicy when indicated, but the flavors are all identifiable and their use of real Mexican spices and herbs comes out. Not overpowered by cheese and beans like most places in the City. One of the best Mexican restaurants in the city of DC is Oyamel. Verde has the food that compares on many respects to this DC star rated restaurant, but Verde is less pretentious and the staff are exceptionally friendlily. This is becoming a favorite.Special Features:
- Great food, very poor serviceKetkiDined on 7/2/2014The food was very good, great flavors. However, the service was very slow and poor. We were served by 3 different people and never found out who our waiter was. My husband had to go find one of the people who served us after and 15 minute wait and ask for the check. The service was poor despite the fact that there were only 2 more customers in the restaurant at the time.Special Features:
- PresbyteriankosuthVIPDined on 6/29/2014Tacos were very good, large selection, and well prepared. Entrees not so good. Chicken mole was bland, sort of boring. Mole does not to be hot but needs some spice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014great experience; innovative menu; wonderful food; conscientious service that responded to every whim; exceptional experienceSpecial Features:
- Beyond MexicanMoniqueiciVIPDined on 6/28/2014Verde is always delicious. The chef is creative and comes up with the most unusual combinations - that work! Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Verde!RestaurantloverDined on 6/23/2014Had a great late lunch at Verde. Our waitress was wonderful; very friendly. Lunch very reasonable and the tacos, guac and salsa were delicious. A little disappointed in the limited lunch menu. Looking forward to going back for dinner when the menu is more extensive!Special Features:
- Always a pleasure.DeskLazerDined on 6/17/2014I think every experience I've had here has been nothing short of fantastic. Attentive staff, great ambience, and getting to sit outside in beautiful weather is always a plus. Andrea has been our server any time we've not sat at the bar and she will often go above the call of duty to make us comfortable. I love this place and will continue to take my friends here for delicious meals and margaritas.Special Features:
- Brunch was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Had a great brunch at Verde for Father's Day. My whole family had a nice time and the food was wonderful.Special Features: