Verandah at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
142 Racquet Park Drive
Amelia Island, FL 32034Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Verandah at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/AmeliaIsland/Dining/TheVerandah.aspx
- Phone: (904) 277-5958x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar
A word from Verandah at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
Throughout the years, Verandah has established itself as one of Amelia Island's finest restaurants. Enjoy fresh, traditional seafood along with an extensive yet approachable wine list in a relaxing setting. Delivering the flavors of the local Atlantic Ocean and neighboring farmers directly to your plate, our chefs' dedication to the finest local ingredients guarantees that what’s fresh is what’s for dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Verandah at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort - Best Restaurants in Fernandina Beach ›
Verandah at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)fit for foodies (33)romantic (23)good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014This was a good location to gather for a celebratory family dinner with a large group. The food was good- not outstanding, but good-- and we had fantastic service. I also especially like that they use sustainable fishing practices and have a good selection of fresh fish. This alone makes the restaurant stand out. The decor is nice and the restaurant is comfortable.Special Features:
- Nice placeRoadtripVIPDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed our meal on Saturday eve. Service was great . Two person team but this worked much better than it did at Emeril's in New Orleans! Both server and assistant seemed interested in our table and were ready to help. The grouper was sensational. The seafood carbonara was good. The soup was wonderful. The restaurant inside was nice . The outside looked like it was not even open. Omni needs to work their magic wand here as they have done with the rest of the property. Great service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTroyDined on 10/20/2014Nice place with pretty good atmosphere. My wife ordered Pink Snapper and loved her meal. I ordered the house specialty Grouper and could have loved it. After two bites I realized that the bottom of my fish was completely charred....not blackened, CHARRED. I called over the waiter and he was very apologetic. He took my dish and told me that they would fix the situation and get me another meal right out. The chef brought out my replacement meal in about 5 minutes and also apologized. This second attempt was a little too rushed and when I cut into the fish I realized that it was clearly not done in the middle. Things happen....at least the wait staff and chef had the right attitude. If back in Amelia, I will give it another try.
- Delightful surpriseRichBethDined on 10/19/2014had a very pleasant evening with great food, helpful and pleasant service - no complaintsSpecial Features:
- Renewed appreciationDivemastermarkDined on 10/18/2014It had been a while since my last visit for dinner -- not since before the ownership change. (I had seen the renovations...) Dinner was excellent, and service was top-notch, with plenty of menu explanations. The menu, by the way, has been upgraded to include many more locally-sourced items, and a feature previously unseen: "Follow the Fish". It listed the boat and home port of each fish being offered. I'd recommend visiting Verandah...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed, got loud with large groupBillEDined on 10/10/2014Very much enjoyed the meal. Good service, almost too attentive. Took my wife's meal off the bill because she simply said that the shrimp and grits were spicy (she wasn't complaining only commenting). I had steak and shrimp, well prepared, steak was cooked to my liking (rare); actually too much food, wonder if the steak could have been 6 oz vs. 8 and just two or three less shrimp. The corn chowder was excellent and the peach cobbler ended the night wonderfully! Good wine selction not overwhelming. The chef did come out and speak to the several of the customers including us....nice touch.Special Features:
- Dinner for ThreeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014The refurbished Verandah is a delight in every way. The menu was enticing and the service was excellent. Greeting by people at the maitre 'd desk was warm and welcoming.The visit from the chef was a big plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood on Amelia Island.PeterDined on 9/26/2014The Verandah is the "upscale" restaurant at the Omni on Amelia Island. Primarily a seafood restaurant with a good selection of top quality fish. My wife and I both had grouper but each prepared differently. Both were excellent. The service was top of the line. Our waiter knew the menu and the preparation of each item and was attentive throughout dinner. The prices at The Verandah are reasonable and considering the overall quality, a bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingcharlotteDined on 9/23/2014Four of us went on a Tuesday evening when entrees and wine by the bottle are 50% off for Plantation owners. I would never consider paying full price for the quality of food they serve. Two in my party had the shrimp and grits which looked very unappetizing and, apparently was not a particularly good eating experience either. My fish and chips were were good. The shrimp cocktail my other friend had was disappointing as well. The wine, though was excellent. This is the second time I ate there and had the fish and chips both times. I'm glad I didn't venture further. My experience is that the food on the whole at the Omni restaurants could use some serious help from some serious chefs.Special Features:
- Fast MealDinerDined on 8/31/2014The service was friendly and the food excellent though not innovative. Much better than most hotel dining spots. The only thing that could have been improved upon was the speed of service. It was really too fast for an upscale restaurant. I did see lots of families there, so quick service might be what most expect. Also there were several large groups which could have affected speed of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Service!SpeedyDined on 8/29/2014The Verandah is sometimes overlooked as a dining destination. I have found the food quality has greatly improved since it's affiliation with the Omni Resorts. Service can make a big difference. At the Verandah, their service staff equals the Ruth's Chris type restaurants. We were fortunate to have had Elizabeth, a server who has been with this restaurant for eight years. Her European accent and outstanding service made our visit extra special. We had the crab encrusted grouper, accompanied by succotash. Also, if you want the best fried shrimp on the island, this is your place. Wine list is ample as is the pour.Special Features:
- Great gulf seafoodLDeanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Get place for seafood prepared in the Southern fashion.....crab encrusted grouper on a bed of creamy grits. Pecan pie with bourbon vanilla ice-cream. It doesn't get much better than this.Special Features:
- Crabless crabcakesPickyWomanDined on 8/23/2014We were very disappointed in the quality of our food. The Cezear salad had a watered down dressing with no flavor. The crab cakes had "no" crabmeat. I would reccommend the grouper.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceCecilewncVIPDined on 8/22/2014My son and I enjoyed dinner at this venue in 08/14. The service provided by our server Alison was impeccable. The menu was attractive with an emphasis on seafood. My son raved about the pasta carbonara with local shrimp. My crab cakes were delicious. The desserts were hard to resist and were glad we did not. The peach cobbler and very nutty pecan pie both served with bourbon ice cream were both very good. The seating was comfortable. The noise level was a bit high but this is probably due to the (beautiful and interesting) architecture. If you are in the area, this is a dining experience not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemSuperbVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was a special birthday celebration with another couple. The entire experience at Verandah was our first and very special. The seafood is outstanding - everything is fresh, perfectly cooked, beautifully prepared and presented. I had a specially prepared dish - the wait staff and chef are very accommodating - beef filet & grilled grouper. The grouper was truly memorable. My wife had Pink Snapper - pecan dusted with balsamic vinegar strawberries - a most unique and perfectly delicious dish. We also shared the sweet corn soup and wedge salad - both tasty. Our friends enjoyed both their dinners also. This was a truly memorable dinner party for my birthday. There were so many unique sounding appetizers & dishes on the menu we will return.Special Features:
- Best Meal EverFortMyersDined on 8/17/2014We had the pleasure of eating dinner at this restaurant this past Sunday evening. Ray was our server and he was great. Very friendly and answered all of our questions truthfully. He did not steer us wrong with his recommendations. The Sweet Corn Soup is out of this world! My husband had blackened group and I had the blue crab crusted grouper which just melted in your mouth. We were with friends and all of us raved about the meal. We asked Ray to have the chef come to our table so we could tell him just how great the meal was. My husband and I both agree that if we are in the Jacksonville area again, we will make a special trip to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place to celebrateHappycustomers2Dined on 8/15/2014We love the Verandah! The food is amazing and the staff is even more amazing! We have visited there many times and are always pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and Delightfulmt2012Dined on 8/14/2014Verandah at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort was a great choice for us. As a family of 4 (15 and 10 year old included), everyone had a wonderful meal. The fish was superb. I had the grouper, daughter had the crab cakes, son had the fried fish (grouper) and chips and husband had the swordfish. Everything was prepared perfectly and our waitress, Tracy's, suggestions were spot on.Special Features:
- Really nice night outfattylovescurryDined on 8/13/2014Really enjoyed our meal and the staff were great at accomodating our two boys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was quiet, our service was great and the food was fabulous. The grilled grouper was cooked perfectly. Our waitress was friendly. During our conversation with her she told us about breweries in Jacksonville and even went as far as looking them up and printing us some information on them. The restaurant was quiet as we had a 5:30 PM reservation. Fabulous place. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, poor servicelocaldinerVIPDined on 8/10/2014although the food was excellent, our server was pushy, not attentive, kept acting like we were being rushed to be done so table could be set again. Felt like we were in a chain diner. Not sure will go back despite the food.Special Features:
- Food was good, but nothing great!NuclearnikDined on 8/10/2014We had a party of six on a Sunday evening. The staff was friendly and accommodating even with the 2 picky kids in our group. 4 of the other guests had the supper dinner designed to serve 2 people per order. The portions were plentiful and taste was good. The food was good but nothing spectacular. The best part if all the components was the salmon. There were exactly 4 servings of salmon. The hush puppies were good but a little greasy. The green beans and mashed potatoes were delish. Flank steak was ok, but not awesome. At $24 per person for the supper option it was the best deal on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Great food however outstanding service. The hostess accommodated combining our two groups at a very busy time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good SeafoodDinnerDined on 8/1/2014For a resort restaurant this had an excellent selection of seafood and was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mifree1836VIPDined on 7/29/2014Fried chicken and red snapper with pecan crust were delicious. Corn muffins and sweet corn soup fantastic. Pecan pie with bourbon ice-cream outrageous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyfoodDined on 7/25/2014Good food but more of a country club atmosphere. No romantic views or interesting ambiance.
- Enjoyed!visittheverandahDined on 7/24/2014The food was fabulous and the service was awesome! The hostess was sweet but seemed to struggle with the seating. Our reservations were at 8:15, but we had to wait 30 minutes to be seated. A party with a screaming child was seated nearby. Due to the great food and service, we will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend for couplesZeCriticDined on 7/22/2014I thought the food was great, well presented, and the atmosphere was charming. The dining experience was very unique. The only problem I found in it is the waitress we has was a bit too pushy with her suggestions, but other than that she was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedemptiontmsqamDined on 7/21/2014We always go to the varandah every time we visit the island. Last year we were disappointed for various reasons. They made up for it this year with the great food we expect. We will continue to make the Varandah a must place to sit and enjoy a fine meal. Thank you to the management for the enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014The food was good. However,the service was horrendous. A large group (12)came in and our table was quickly forgotten. Staff allocation is clearly a major issue!Special Features:
- Resort Experience 1TravelerDined on 7/12/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Our server was entertaining, personable and professional. Three in the party had the crusted grouper and raved about it. My blackened grouper was perfect. Deserts? Yuuuuum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & AttentionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Our server was amazing from the start to the end of our meal. She was very helpful, friendly and helped us work around some food allergies with menu options. Best filet, great BBQ shrimp and desserts all amazing.Special Features:
- Overpriced verandaKiemmoDined on 7/7/2014Service was slow from the Gitgo....water, wine, everything and we were there early!! I felt for what we ordered, the price was high....quality was good except I did not like the fish in my Seafood Carbonara....just doesn't work....shrimp only might be beter.
- Great time at VerandahJerseyFamilyDined on 7/6/2014We had a great family time and meal at Verandah. The seafood was fantastic, the staff was very accommodating to food allergies, and the wait staff made it a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Great food, great service. Will be back although some of the old favs are gone. Kudos to the team.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 88 reviews are from the Verandah at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort reviews archive.
- great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2014The food and service was great. Would have liked our wine stay at our table instead of having to ask for more. Mentioned it was my wife's birthday so guess we were looking for a little something extra but we didn't get that. Great food especially fried chicken for non seafood people. Loved unique serving plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First impressionpoloDined on 6/30/2014Had reservations, arrived 15 mins early & checked in with hostess. Unable to get a drink at crowded very small bar. 20-30 mins later inquired at podium about reservation without a very definitive answer. Later the original hostess spied us standing there and asked us if we had a reservation???? Once seated the the wait staff was good as was the food. Try elsewhere for a relaxed, quiet dining experience. First impressions are lasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Verandah at Amelia IslandTidewaterLadyDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner at the Verandah. Our server was one of the best we've had, recommending dishes and describing the interesting menu with great confidence and skill. Notable was the smoked mullet appetizer which my husband loved. Mullet is NOT normally a fish of choice, but we had to try it. The chef had researched the recipe, found someone noted for smoking the fish with a lovely glaze and created a very nice appetizer. We also enjoyed the filet and lobster tail with delicious fresh succotash and yummy potatoes. We definitely recommend the Verandah!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/wine & awesome service!1girlie1Dined on 6/24/2014First, if you can get Tesa for your server, she is awesome! We had as much fun joking around and talking with her, as we did talking with the people in our party. Secondly, I highly recommend the blue crab crusted grouper. It was recommended by Tesa and I loved it! It was delicious. Another person in our party got the filet and shrimp. The filet had not an ounce of fat on it and was cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend this location for a special dinner ~ food, wine and service were the BEST (and again, ask for Tesa)!Special Features:
- Fantastic GroupergrahamcrackerDined on 6/21/2014We eat at the Verandah each time we stay at Omni Amelia Island Plantation. The food is great and the service is on the same level. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.