Veranda Restaurant & Wine Bar
2784 South Fish Hatchery Rd
Fitchburg, WI 53701Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Veranda Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.verandamadison.com/
- Phone: 6086614161x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Sicilian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: 3 dining rooms are available for reservation for small to medium groups.
- Entertainment: Music on the patio on Wednesday nights
A word from Veranda Restaurant & Wine Bar
Continuing a 90 year tradition serving the Madison area, the Schiavo family, owners of the Cafe Continental on King Street and Antonio's to name a few have opened Veranda Italian Restaurant & Wine Bar. Stop in to enjoy a great people, food and a place to relax.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Veranda Restaurant & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
Veranda Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (26)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (14)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (11)romantic (8)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A gem for Mediterranean food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014We have been looking for a place that does good Lamb Chops since we moved here over a year ago. This place is it. We ordered 4 dishes and they were all fabulous. Good antipasto and deserts to go with the meal.Special Features:
- Work PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Staff was great! We had our own private room for our "party". Food was excellent, our waiter was great, and it was a beautiful establishment. We will be recommending & visiting here more often.Special Features:
- good foodScooterDined on 10/1/2014We had a spur of the minute business dinner meeting. The staff was very accommodating and seated us in a room where we could converse in private. The food was very good and the wine list of good quality and reasonable prices. We will return in the future, for business or just a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful evening. Great foodLuvHugosDined on 9/26/2014There are so few really enjoyable outdoor eating establishments in Madison. The Veranda is always our first choice on a beautiful evening. The food is always outstanding, with happy hour drink and appetizer prices good until 7 when you sit outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but Low on Energyethorvaldson05VIPDined on 9/23/2014I've dined at Veranda a few times now and the food is usually pretty good. However, the restaurant is almost always empty and it's odd being one of the only diners there. It just does not give a good ambiance and I usually pick other restaurants over Veranda strictly because of that issue. We came as a group of three for dinner and the two pasta dishes were very good. I wish the menu would serve some healthier options (i.e. Salads with chicken/salmon/etc.) but overall it's good. The first time I dined at Veranda, I had a grilled tilapia sandwich (when they still served lunch) and it was outstanding. It's really too bad that they no longer serve the dish. Veranda is nice but the atmosphere is disappointing and the prices are a bit high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be back...again, and againStellaSaysDined on 8/21/2014I've been a Veranda customer since it's beginnings (and actually, before that). I've come for lunch and dinner with different groups of friends. EVERYONE thoroughly enjoys the time spent here.. The menu options are a nice variety, and everything I've had was delicious. The wait staff/service - always quite pleasant and personable, make great recommendations. I will definitely return, and so will my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Veranda!TwocatsDined on 8/20/2014I say the same thing each time I go there! The wait staff, the bar staff, the greeter, and the food are all exceptional! I often take home food since the serving sizes are quite large. However, I have found my leftovers are just as good the next day! What could be better than that! Alice Jenson FitchburgSpecial Features:
- Great atmosphere and good eatsNattyDined on 8/5/2014I met a few girlfriends here to celebrate an upcoming baby arrival. We sat outside, service was great. We arrived before 7pm and they had a great happy hour menu. Full menu was great too. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my new favoritesfunwithfoodDined on 8/2/2014Fabulous food! They also strive to accommodate those looking for GF options, which I appreciate. The wait staff is very friendly and accommodating. I love that happy hour is also on Saturdays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014VERY friendly greeting and exceptional wait staff...polite, happy, efficient. Can hardly wait to come back. Also, the bartender makes a really good cocktail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VonnVIPDined on 7/30/2014Veranda never disappoints me! The food was fresh and tasty. The service is always warm and attentive! My go-to place and especially this time of year. Best outdoor setting in the city.Special Features:
- A definite YESctgoldenbearVIPDined on 7/26/2014This was our 2nd time to the Veranda Restaurant, and it was just as good or even better than the first time. Our waiter was excellent in that he was attentive, friendly and was willing to make very good suggestions. I had the Caesar salad and Bolognese Veranda style, and my wife had the beet salad and shrimp/scallop fettuccine; both of were very happy with the quality of our food. If you can get by the not so quaint location, I feel this restaurant is definitely worth a try and if you do, you will most likely go back.Special Features:
- Just okAluedtkeDined on 7/24/2014I went for Madison Restaurant Week & I have to say I was less than thrilled. The appetizer of Salmon Bruschetta was ok, entree of Speidini was AWFUL! Too much stuffing, not enough sirloin & too many breadcrumbs, it made me want to gag! Dessert was ok, I just got a sundae because that's all that appealed to me. We sat on the patio and ordered a pitcher of sangria. We received our pitcher with 2 empty glasses, no ice in them, no straw & NO fruit (how do you get a sangria with no fruit?!). Others around us ordered a pitcher & recieved straws/glasses with ice. Those who ordered glasses of sangria got fruit, shouldn't a pitcher of sangria which is more expensive get some fruit too? Also had to ask for bread when everyone else just recieved it.Special Features:
- Great PlaceGetinmybellyDined on 7/23/2014Food was great, atmosphere was so welcoming, sweet little bar. A restaurant you want to go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Summer VenuePamDDined on 7/22/2014The Veranda is a lovely place for dinner when you can be outdoors. Their patio seating is walled and you can view sunset while you have your dinner. We visited during Restaurant Week when it was busy and the menu was more limited...but the food was nice and we enjoyed gracious service. They do wine pairings with their food, but I enjoyed their Sangria instead and found it delicious and refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and most pleasantKitzDined on 7/16/2014Service was prompt and attentive. Everything was very, very clean and attractive. Pasta dishes were well prepared and enjoyed by all, servings were generous and we all shared in tastings. Sangria was excellent, fortified with brandy. The beet salad was the best I have ever had. I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Veranda!TwocatsDined on 7/12/2014I feel so comfortable at the Veranda. The owner is friendly. Our waiter, Lee, was efficient, knowledgeable, and engaging! Most of all, we all enjoyed our meals! I brought half of my meal home and had it for lunch the next day. It was just as good! The menu has nice variety. There is a complete bar with many wines to choose from. It was a rainy night, so we requested a booth in the bar area. If the weather had been nice, we would have eaten outside on their wonderful patio.Special Features:
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014Great outdoor dining. Good food. Excellent sangria. Try the short rib bruschetta, rigatoni veranda style and tagliatelle with shrimp and you will go home happy.Special Features:
- Great food and friendly service.appreciativeDined on 7/5/2014We had the Carpaccio and Burrata appetizers which were amazing. Both were served with a high quality olive oil finish. The eggplant and Sicilian Pork cutlets were also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 168 reviews are from the Veranda Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Summer Time DiningwaterwaderVIPDined on 6/13/2014We are frequent diners at Veranda's and always look forward to the opening of their outdoor patio/bar setting for elfresco dining. Perfect spot for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Food and service great. Celebrated a birthday, had a very nice surprise dessert Owner on premises and a joy to visit withSpecial Features:
- 2nd visit a disappointmentSusanDined on 5/31/2014Food was average, the waiter inattentive, and the conversations around us so loud that our evening was disappointing. Even the lovely outdoor patio did not make up for it. Doubt that we will be backSpecial Features:
- Great find80acrDined on 5/30/2014Loved the outdoor patio, great ambience. Food was great and service was excellent. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss some great food!Searching4thebestVIPDined on 5/19/2014So far our favorite items on the menu are the wonderful starter of burrata with tomatoes, garlic chips and olive oil and the short rib entree. Can't wait for tomato season to make this starter totally irresistible, but even with winter tomatoes, it is an excellent item to share. We've had the beef short rib and risotto entree twice and it was delicious each time. We'll be back for these two and explore the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so happy anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014We chose to try this restaurant for brunch to celebrate an anniversary. Service was slow, food was cold. Disappointed.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014I had the Lamb Chops which I would say were very good; not spectacular but very good. The other people at my table at the pasta carbonara, a steak , and the seafood pasta (shrimp and scallops). I tasted each of their dishes and all of those were great! Very highly recommended pasta dishes.Special Features:
- ShaktiDined on 5/17/2014We really loved dining here. We were celebrating my son"s graduation & found this the perfect place to celebrate! The food was good,the champagne was nice too & the waiter( Lee?) was really helpful & outstanding. Overall we had a wonderful experience! My son had the shrimp & scallops dish, my daughter had the fried eggplant dish & i had the peas & corn risotto- all were very good!! We had ordered a champagne which was not available so the waiter recommended another one which was good (& we got it for the same price!)Special Features:
- Good food, but not a leisurely meal52FoodieDined on 5/17/2014We tried the Veranda for graduation this year and had a mixed experience. The food was all very good, and the menu offered many choices. The offset to the good food was that the entrée arrived before the appetizer was eaten, and we finished the whole meal in 45 minutes. I understand it was graduation night and they were going to be swamped, but we felt a bit disappointed that we were not allowed the time to savor the meal and the event, instead being through a speed-eating dinner. We may try it again, during a normal time, to see if things are more enjoyable.
- Nice evening!MicciDined on 5/16/2014My family and I enjoyed a very nice evening following my graduation from Madison College. We are all from out-of-town and didn't know the area or anyone in Madison. I made the reservation based on the menu and it was a big hit with all of my family! Everything we ordered was delicious, the service was great, and we had our own little area of the restaurant.Special Features:
- VerandaMadtownVicDined on 5/16/2014The walleye Friday night special was a hit! Ambiance was great, as was the service.Special Features:
- Grad celebrationMadisonfoodie55Dined on 5/16/2014The food and drinks were to die for. Service was just ok. Never refilled water till end of meal. Was going to order salad but waiter took so long to come back decided not to. Didn't have good answers to some of menu questions. The back room was EXTREMELY LOUD,!! We'll still go back. The host was very accommodating. A hidden gem. Bartender and appetizer presentation at bar very nice!Special Features:
- A great dinner outiluvgoodfoodDined on 5/15/2014We had a great dinner on Thursday night. The food was bursting with great flavors. I had the Rigatoni Veranda style. The wait staff was very attentive and helpful. All in our party had great meals that evening and a friend went on Friday evening and had an equally great meal. A little off the beaten path but find this place . You will be glad you did. The bar is great and extremely well staffed and supplied. It was a little cool to sit out on the lovely patio that evening but maybe the next time. It calls for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overbookedtheoccasionaldinerDined on 5/11/2014Mothers Day was too overbooked. We waited over 1 1/2 hours for food. Server was new but tried to be helpful. One entree and my sons fruit drink were taken off the tab but the wait was way too long. We are talking eggs and pancakes not a full dinner. The food and presentation were good but overall the service was spotty. Bloody Mary glasses were small and one arrived with olives and pickle and one came only with a tiny lime. A lot of ice and too little liquid. The food arrived without silverware and my son's sausage order was forgotten until he was half finished with his pancake. We have been here under different management and enjoy the atmosphere but this time wasn't great.Special Features:
- Mother's Day was pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Service seemed a little slow, but I could see the restaurant was very busy with Mother's Day brunch. Our group of 4 was pleased with the Veranda as a setting for our Mother's Day celebration.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceRob3294Dined on 5/11/2014It took 1 hour and 45 minutes to get our food. No apologies, no explanation, and to make it worse they only refilled our water one time during that whole time. It's one thing to be short staffed in the kitchen and try to make up for it. It's another to not care and just ignore the issue. We used to love this place, but now we done plan to be back. Way to put a damper on my wife's first Mother's Day.
- enjoyable enoughjimmVIPDined on 5/9/2014We could tell that the food at Veranda was prepared with some care and affection. Lots of greens, pure ingredients. A little out of the way but worth the 15 minute or so drive from Madison.Special Features:
- Excellent findBrit61Dined on 5/7/2014Seating was immediate for our lunch and the hostess and waiter were very friendly and efficient, without being overbearing. We were seated at a very comfortable booth in the main bar area. The lunch menu has a great selection. We ordered the PEI Mussels which arrived piled high in a bowl, there must have been at least 2 dozen! They were excellent! We used the bread that was served at the start of our lunch to soak up the delicious broth. We also had an order of tagliatelle with jumbo wild caught scallops and gulf shrimp, another winner! Prices were very reasonable. Great wine selection. No blaring TV made it easy to have a conversation, another plus. I would definitely recommend Veranda and will definitely be returning there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good-ish. Not worth the price.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The food was great. Not my taste, but well executed. We had a reservation and the place was pretty empty. They sat us at a small table next to a huge group of loud businessmen. Not that big of a deal, but not ideal. The waiter was obviously overworked, and was inattentive-not his fault. They gave us a fork&knife at the beginning of the meal, on the table. Once our meals arrived, after appetizers, no new silverware was given. We had to take some from an empty table nearby. Again, not that big of a deal, but disappointing for a place that is supposed to be this nice/expensive. We ordered an ice cream dessert and it was GREAT. But it wasn't what was listed on the menu. Lots of little things that made us not want to come back.
- Worth the drive to FitchburgPaulRVIPDined on 4/30/2014It's not often we head across town or out of town for dinner with so many local options available in Madison. Classic menu items are excellently prepared in a traditional american style, much like you'd find in Boston's more traditional North End establishments. The wine list is very palatable for us mere mortals, so you can enjoy a bottle at a reasonable price, and also enjoy tasty wines that pair well with the entree. Of the nearby restaurants in their area, the food is certainly the best here.Special Features:
- great all aroundGMoneyDined on 4/26/2014Food was good as were the drinks. The meatballs in my spaghetti were great. Miles is a great bartender too, friendly and attentive. Will return again for sure.Special Features: