Verace: True Italian
599 Main Street
Islip, NY 11751Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Verace: True Italian
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.veracerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6312773800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Rougey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for any questions regarding our catering menu.
- Private Party Facilities: Like its name, meaning truthfulness, Verace: True Italian is sincere in its commitment to bring authentic Italian cuisine, intrinsically fashionable décor and gracious service to Long Island.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant for any questions regarding private parties.
A word from Verace: True Italian
This is not like the Italian restaurants you may be used to on Long Island. Verace's menu is designed to incorporate traditional Italian cooking techniques, recipes with modern American twists and fresh, local ingredients. We offer a fantastic selection of meats and cheeses, sliced on our 101 year old Berkel slicer. Start with one of our flatbread pizzas fired in our Woodstone oven or one of our half portions of house made pasta. For your entree, enjoy a full plate of pasta, classics like our Osso Bucco and Shrimp Scampi or Italian American comfort foods like Chicken Parmesan and Veal Marsala. Conclude your dining experience with one of our house made desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Verace: True Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)great for outdoor dining (51)fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (40)romantic (36)hot spot (26)notable wine list (26)good for groups (18)late-night find (12)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Beautiful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Staff & service was great also the food was excellent. One negative was the tables were right on top of each other wasn't very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local WinnerMcstumpDined on 8/26/2014Closer to an Italian Bistro than a restaurant. Limited menu but the food is outstanding. Service is excellent and the wait staff goes out of their way to be helpful. Try the Chicken Parm-its amazing!!Special Features:
- specialLisaDined on 8/20/2014Everything was just a special dining experience. From the friendly professional greeting to the very attentive wait staff, you were made to believe you deserved this. Food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDiningdivaVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had a family outing and ate on the terrace which was lovely. We shared a bunch of appetizers to start. All were superb the buratta was exceptional. We were all thrilled with both the pasta and meat entrees that we ordered. The service was also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday wine nightJro74Dined on 8/18/2014My wife and I went to the wine night this past Monday. The restaurant was not particularly busy so it was not as loud as it can be there on a busy weekend night. We first had a cocktail at the bar and them took a table in their back seating area. The 3 courses and wine pairings were excellent and all of the staff we encountered were very pleasant and accommodating. A very relaxing evening. We will definately go again on a Monday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very bad service!AnnoyedDined on 8/16/2014Waited 1/2 hour to get our wine. Then we received only 6 pieces of bread had 7 people at the table. Requested more bread, never received it. The restaurant ran out of bread. Ordered the mussels, the shells were biggers than the mussels. The waiter never asked us how our meals were. Never saw him until after we were all done.
- Great placeTaylorDined on 8/9/2014Great food , good service . Sat outside on a nice night and it was quiet and enjoyable .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodJoanDined on 8/9/2014The food was very good; the server was attentive and pleasant. Tables are close together. Can be a bit of a tight squeeze for the wait staff to get around the tables. Food is very good, but a bit pricey. I found the noise level about the same as any restaurant on a Saturday night. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience.Liam461VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had been wanting to go to this restaurant for some time now and glad that we finally made it. It was a awesome time. Let's start by saying, the food was excellent. I had the home made pasta in the bolenese sauce. This is no ordinar red meat sauce ( it's not red at all ), chunks of delicious meat packed with flavor. My companion had the Bronzino. Which she loves and said this was the best one she has ever had. Enough said. Our waitress, Angeline, aas a pleasure. Very attentive and easy to find when needed. Even though she was obviously busy because all the tables were full, but not overbearing. The atmosphere was very relaxed, great music in the background, but not to loud. Extremely pleased and highly recommended.Special Features:
- timbtimbDined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent, nice portions, in fact we had enough for dinner the next day and the waitress ( Julie ) was on point and very accomodating. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!AKDineDined on 8/3/2014The food was delicious. The pasta is made on location and the creamy polenta is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeMep0198VIPDined on 7/23/2014We have been here many times and each time it is excellent, we ae never disappointed. Service is excellent, food is beautifully prepared and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great restaurantlauracDined on 7/20/2014We are outside on the patio and it was soo nice. food was great, our server was great and so was the wine..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a pleasure.PeterDined on 7/13/2014We're regulars here, and it's never a disappointment!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/12/2014The name indicates it all. True Italian. Home made pasta certainly makes a difference. Prices are very reasonable. The waiter was very attentative and curtious. Definetly worth a try.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and foodRpfaDined on 7/12/2014This was my first time at Verace, I gave been wanting to try this restaurant for a while. I'm glad I Did. The salad was fresh and light and we all enjoyed our main courses and, of course, dessert was yummy. Loved the decor on the inside and there were 2 special outdoor eating areas which were fun and inviting. The outdoor bar area looked like the hot spot to be on a warm July evening. Will certainly return to have a drink there. The only negative, which is not a major point, is that our waiter and some of the wait service was inexperienced and not particularly polished. Certainly didn't deter us but I had a different expectation. They were friendly and courteous which is always expected and appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always !!Cruella1114Dined on 7/6/2014We love Verace. The food is excellent. Service is great. Must try the cheese and cured meat boards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesLovespastaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Simply put you will not be disappointed as a matter of fact, Verace will exceed your expectations time and time again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & good atmosphereVicGDined on 6/30/2014If you are looking for a sweet date, good food, nice wine; come to this place, it won't disappoint you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/30/2014This was our first visit to Verace. The patio was nice for outdoor seating, although the chairs felt strange (pliable plastic). The food was very good, but the wine pairing was weird -- they served a white blend with the meatball appetizer and a heavy red with the fish entree. The music was a bit abrasive -- loud pop/rock. The server was very nice but did not know the menu or the wine. All-in-all, it was a somewhat odd experience.Special Features:
- Better seatingGretaDined on 6/21/2014I was wondering if you seat Open Table customers in the worst seat in the house. We were a table of 4 and there was plenty of seating downstairs when we got there. You sat us near the wait station upstairs in the most crowded area when there was much better seating all over the restaurant. You also seemed to be short of staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little bit of Italy in IslipcheechDined on 6/19/2014The lunch menu @ Verace: nice variety and reasonable. Server (Michael) was attentive & hospitable. The general manager Mark came to the table to check on us twice. Awsome homemade pasta, a true gem in islipSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine not?feedmeDined on 6/16/2014their monday nite wine pairings are a great way to taste a bit of the menu and entice you to return for more... while perusing the menu it broke my heart to see the carbonara is no longer offered... too bad as that is one of my faves... probably one of the better dishes they served... c'est la vie. anyway, the chicken saltimbuoco (sp?) was moist on the inside and yummy on the outside! and I'm not a fan of broccoli rob, but the way it's prepared here is more than palatable; ah, alright, it was actually good, and not bitter... really nice sauce on that and w/the chicken dish made a great main course. The newer members of the wait staff are wonderful additions and hope to see them again in the near future.Special Features:
- experiencepizzamanDined on 6/15/2014Hello, To the management, I am happy to say that from the minute I walked in. I was pleasantly welcomed and the staff was awesome. The food was just as good as the service. being in the restaurant industry makes it hard to get fresh food but to get great service as well. I will be back because I feel its a great value and the quality is A-!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay awayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Went for a Fathers Day dinner. The bread placed on the table was stale and toasted to try and cover up that fact. The food was no better than a local long island pizzeria. Service was so-so. I would not recommend this place at all. If they are passing of stale bread what other short cuts are they taking.
- Outdoor dining treasureiheartNewYorkDined on 6/7/2014Great ambiance. Love the outdoor area. It's private, spacious, great for small or large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very dissapointedFoodgoddessDined on 6/7/2014One of our group ordered an Expresso Martini. It was prepared incorrectly twice before they got it right the third time. ( they ran out of Kaluha) The food preparation is inconsistent. Mussels in white wine sauce was prepared differently from one to the other at our table. One had sauce that definitely had butter that was burnt, very bitter. Our meals were another kind of experience. While two of our group had meals that they felt were okay, two of us had meals that were inedible. The chef is extremely heavy handed with the salt and the gnocchi was gritty. While the Assistant Manager did come to apologize and did comp us the first round of drink and gave us gift cards, I would never go back again.
- GreatDakotasunVIPDined on 6/3/2014This restaurant never fails to serve wonderful food as well as great service. I can be very picky about Italian food because I love to cook, the meatballs meatballs, sauce all taste homemade. The polenta is delicious ! Chicken , seafood all wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Mixed ReviewMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 6/2/2014If this were our first trip to Verace, it would have been our last. The food was mediocre. The clams oreganato, which are usually very good, were dried out and tasteless. The Caesar salad was good and generous. The veal meatballs were bland. The lasagne was dreadful. The house wines were good. The hostesses, and our server, Andrew, the bartender, were friendly. Unfortunately, the clams oreganato were on the priced fixed menu. I suspect they made the clams in advance and reheated them. All they accomplished. Cutting corners never works. Excepting the wine and salad, the food was all poor to mediocre. However, we dined in the quiet, lovely alley between Verace & Teller's. The beautiful flowers were the highlight of our evening.
- Another Great Meal!NewFavoriteDined on 6/2/2014Another great meal before a Ducks game! They were however out of Black Pepper Cavatelli at 5:15? There was only one other table seated in the entire place, how could they be out already? Had to substitute Penne. I can get Penne at Applebee's. Disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Dining Experiencemydogz2Dined on 5/31/2014I am never disappointed when dining here. Love the branzino. Shrimp scamp was awesome. My martini was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Acoustics badClaudieVIPDined on 5/31/2014Had dinner Saturday night. Food was great. But I will not return on a Saturday night due to the extremely loud atmosphere. The 3 guests with me had trouble hearing each other talk.Special Features:
- RickeatsoutDined on 5/31/2014No bread on the tables, terrible smell outside, very noisy inside hard to talkSpecial Features:
- Martha333VIPDined on 5/27/2014Verace is always an outstanding place to dine. Excellent food and service. The Ricola Salad is outstanding with very fresh greens. We both loved the pasta with white clam sauce. And of course, the birthday gift card is always a plusSpecial Features:
- great food & timeluvthisplace12345VIPDined on 5/19/2014went to this amazing place for the 3rd time and it gets better and better each time the food was amazing as well as the service !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotChronostinmanDined on 5/16/2014Got me laid so enough said. But for real it's a great place for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top ServiceTom11715Dined on 5/10/2014Our dining experience at Verace was superb and the service at this restaurant was excellent. One individual in particular stood out and made our evening so worth while. We are not sure but we believe that his name might have been 'Mat'. He went to all lengths to ensure that we were well taken care of and truly took a personal interest in making our evening spectacular.Special Features:
- Good experienceMiketheWolfDined on 5/6/2014The food was really good.. I really liked the Bruschetta and I liked the Chicken Francese . The sautéed spinach and their potatoes were really delicious. Julie, our server was so attentive, friendly, and sweet. She is a great asset to the restaurant. Overall a very good dinner and now I want to try the other restaurants that are owned by this group. Thank you Verace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 637 reviews are from the Verace: True Italian reviews archive.
- TheWhiteWizardDined on 5/3/2014First time there. It is a nice place. Good menu. Th staff was very friendly and polite, if not just a little too quick. Food was good. Appetizers outstanding, entree could have had just a little more food in the plate! Perhaps the negatives were due to it being Restaurant week. Its a little noisy in there too, but I'll go back.Special Features:
- FantasticAlombaDined on 5/2/2014Great food and service. Can't ask for more! The restaurant is very popular and fills up quickly, so definitely make reservations if you plan on going. Also, the noise level is a bit high as a result, if that kind of thing bothers you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.