Verace: True Italian
599 Main Street
Islip, NY 11751Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Verace: True Italian
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.veracerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (631) 277-3800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Rougey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for any questions regarding our catering menu.
- Private Party Facilities: Like its name, meaning truthfulness, Verace: True Italian is sincere in its commitment to bring authentic Italian cuisine, intrinsically fashionable décor and gracious service to Long Island.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant for any questions regarding private parties.
A word from Verace: True Italian
This is not like the Italian restaurants you may be used to on Long Island. Verace's menu is designed to incorporate traditional Italian cooking techniques, recipes with modern American twists and fresh, local ingredients. We offer a fantastic selection of meats and cheeses, sliced on our 101 year old Berkel slicer. Start with one of our flatbread pizzas fired in our Woodstone oven or one of our half portions of house made pasta. For your entree, enjoy a full plate of pasta, classics like our Osso Bucco and Shrimp Scampi or Italian American comfort foods like Chicken Parmesan and Veal Marsala. Conclude your dining experience with one of our house made desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Verace: True Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (51)special occasion (44)romantic (37)hot spot (30)notable wine list (29)good for groups (28)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (9)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always good Italian in a pleasant settingEHyrounderVIPDined on 11/15/2014A fairly priced good Italian with a pleasant vibe. Servers always excellent and you can count on the middle of the road Italian food to be good. Its not gourmet dining, but a place where you want to meet friends and have a good time. There is usually a manager who checks on your table during dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place if you want great food and serviceCkniteanddayDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I loved this place. The service was exceptional and the food was delicious. The atmosphere was a bit on the loud side, so not a very romantic place but otherwise I would recommend it for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oakdale67oakdale67Dined on 11/9/2014We went there during on the last day of restaurant week - the specially priced menu was limited but presented a nice cross-section of their regular menu. Food was very good and presented well. Waitress seemed a little overwhelmed although it was not crowded when we ordered - assume that "Restaurant Week" wore her down. However the courses were served in a timely manner and the desserts delicious... would return to try the regular menu dishes which also looked very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, impressedbirthday1reviewDined on 11/9/2014We were itching to go to try Verace and decided to do so on my birthday.The hostesses were lovely, the food, wonderful. Our party of 6 tried everything from the Ossobucco, to fish, meat & pasta.The only disappointment was server, Andres.He was nice, but had an overly cavalier/careless way that wasn't pleasing.We had to repeat orders because he wasn't paying attention/had to ask repeatedly for small things that were forgotten/he'd disappear forcing us to grab ask other servers to help us. We're very used to the utmost in professional service with the Bohlsen. One of the most alluring things about the whole experience is having a server(s) who knows their stuff, is friendly, efficient and visible to his/her tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Friends, New FavoriteLovespastaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Brought in three classmates after a day in the City and we ended our enjoyable day at Verace, I can tell you that all three said this was a special treat and one said "this is my new favorite restaurant". Great Job Bohlsen Group as always, Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DOWNHILLLarryVIPDined on 11/8/2014We hadn't been to Esca for some time. As wanted fine dining before a Broadway matinee, we chose ESCA. It was very cold and a small group of customers had lined up outside just 5 minutes before noon, when the place opens. The restaurant staff just looked out at us and one came out to change the menu posting and then announced "we open at noon!"They did unlock the door at noon and we were all instructed to check our coats. Those who wanted to keep them were told NOT to drape them over the back of the chair by the lady drill sargeant at the door. The seafood stew was watery and salty (wish I had read a previous review)and probably boiled before serving, as the clams tasted like rubber bands. The waiter constantly & rudely interrupted the conversation during the meal. The sword fish and octapus were nicely done. The brussel sprouts acompaning the sword fish were charred ruins. And $18 for a salad should produce better results. The lady's room was occupied for twenty minutes until the drill sargeant emerged! Enough said.........
- kjfioresDined on 11/8/2014I had the shrimp scampi hubby had the baked lasagna... Wine and muscles were amazing and the lasagna filled him up... Server was great. But my shrimp were over cooked and slightly chewy. As the restaurant filled up, or waiter got busier and took too long to bring the check. We will be back tho 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolVIPDined on 11/5/2014What a beautiful restaurant! Great service and well prepared food. A south shore treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veepsatveraceveepsatveraceDined on 11/5/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants to celebrate special occasions or to dine with friends and colleagues to unwind after a long day. The bistro like atmosphere and décor is both welcoming and intriguing. We hope to return with the ladies to enjoy the outside atmosphere for some wine and fireside chats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restr. Week PleasuremrpeaDined on 11/4/2014Took friends for restaurant week dinner. Both picky eaters one a vegetarian. There was something for everyone and all courses turned out to be exceptional. Opted for the wine pairing which was great. Our waiter was attentive and service was outstanding. My friends are making plans to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Verace's fare often displays flashes of brilliance, tucked within an otherwise mediocre menu. The Duck Risotto was absolutely fabulous! The Tuscan Soup was underseasoned, while the Butternut Squash Ravioli was over-saged and undersauced, making the dish very dry. The Chocolate Molten Cake was also dry and the Vanilla Gelato did not pack enough of a flavor punch. And the Chicken was way too salty. All in all, the meal was so-so, when it could have been great. Still a fun place to eat, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Wine NightHurricaneVIPDined on 10/27/2014Monday night is Wine Night at Verace: an excellent prix fixe three course meal is $30. And for another $10, you get wines especially selected to suit each course. This past Monday was a great past Bolognese with a Palmer cab, hanger steak with a big Italian Tuscan red and the finale was a white chocolate mousse filled cannoli accompanied by a luscious moscato. It was a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!HurricaneVIPDined on 10/20/2014Swordfish perfectly grilled ... interesting and tasty salad of arugula, fennel, and warm goat cheese, but we could have done with out the beets. As usual, the wine matching significantly enhanced the meal.Special Features:
- Date NightitalianfoodieDined on 10/18/2014I brought a girl here for our second date. The outside courtyard and bar are very trendy, and the fountain added some nice ambiance. Walking in, the host recognized my reservation right away, and we were seated almost immediately. This restaurant can be loud, but not overly so. The atmosphere is very romantic, with candle lighting, and small tables. The chairs are very sturdy, unlike some other trendy places. The food was amazing, the antipasti have a huge variety, and were very fresh. The cheese was delicious. The wine list was impressive, and not that pricey. The food was amazing, the gnocchi with truffle butter is out of this world. Overall, a great experience, and will definitely be back. Plus, I got brownie points for settinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shakymanDined on 10/18/2014Found the food excellent, maybe because I had a reservation on a SATURDAY NIGHT. It was extremely noisy , and the couple across the table had a hard time hearing us. Also the tables were on so close couldn't even move chairs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely NOT real ItalianAnniversarygirlDined on 10/18/2014In all fairness, we just came back from a trip to Southern Italy... But calling this restaurant REAL Italian is a kind of a joke. Homemade pasta was good. What our pastas were dressed with was nothing special at all and very greasy. Appetizers were okay but portions were tiny and hard to share. Pistachio gelato for dessert was completely tasteless. Our local, simple Italian restaurant has better food by far at better prices. Our server seemed nice but overwhelmed by the number of diners he had to attend to. An older gentleman stood watch over the diners and seemed to do nothing but watch-didn't visit diners to see how their meals were or expedite service. All he did was say good night. No reason to return or recommend.
- Great atmosphereLunaTunaDined on 10/15/2014The food and service were great. I love the outdoor bar with fire place and TV. Will come back again not only for dinner but also for drinks.Special Features:
- Another great timeNickDined on 10/11/2014we continue to return for the impeccable service and delicious food. Really is true Italian and beyond, make reservations on weekends or expect to wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently gooddanaDined on 10/6/2014This was a return trip to this restaurant. Each time we have been the food and service has been consistently good, which is not often found in a restaurant. Our only constructive feedback is that the top 40 music selections didn't quite match with the type and level of food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food diner styleJurazVIPDined on 10/4/2014If you want to relax and enjoy your meal at a restaurant, this place is not for you. Verace has waiters and waitress's that are polite but serve you in a rush. Drinks, appetizers, entree and coffee in under an hour ruins the dining experience here. The food is over salted and mediocre. The food and service has changed since my previous visits.
- PerfectoMauitriciaDined on 10/3/2014I was looking for a place to take my fiancé for his birthday. We had been to Verace before and I knew it was good. This visit exceeded even what I had expected. The fresh flounder was one of the best fish dishes we've had in a long time and the fresh pasta was so good. We couldn't stop eating, long after we were completely full. We've decided this is our new favorite local Long Island restaurant. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/29/2014We had a good lunch at a good price. They were out of the Italian red wine I like. There is no excise for that.9
- Feel like a sardinenoneVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was okay but my fix salad had sea salt on the plate, no one else's did, and it ruined it. We were crammed like sardines in the dining area and four of us were at a table that was barely big enough for two.we had to give back our bread and other plates to the waiter just to make room to eat. Saving grace was the outstanding waiter. Not sure I would want to go back again and Endure such cramped quarters while trying to enjoy a meal
- Amazing!AlombaDined on 9/26/2014Love coming here. One of the best Italian restaurants on the Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthdayOrlyDined on 9/26/2014From start to finish, outstanding. Great service, food, atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing.WineListFirstDined on 9/26/2014I was very surprised and extremely disappointed. For this group to have so many good restaurants and the food be so poor at Verace was shocking.
- An Off DayMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/24/2014I usually like Verace for lunch, but on this occasion I felt like the step child at the reading of the will. The first course clams & salads were good. My main course spaghetti & meatballs consisted of 1/4 cup of spaghetti & two tiny meatballs. Meanwhile my friend's shrimp scampi included a huge bowl of pasta & at least eight shrimp. Her lunch dish was six times the size of mine. I don't know what they are doing in the kitchen. The last time I ordered this dish, I got spaghetti & meatballs. If this was my first experience, I would not return! The kitchen as to figure it out. I left hungry. The last time I left w half my meatballs in a take out box. Ripped off!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pasta and tap winemccmVIPDined on 9/22/2014Homemade pasta, always cooked properly (al dente), with shrimp in lemon sauce is a consistent winner. Ditto for the Wines on tap. The cheese and meats boards are really enjoyable. All employees were friendly and restaurant decor/ambience is very pleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationgrkbebegrlDined on 9/20/2014I went to Verace recently to celebrate a friends birthday and it was a great dining experience. Our waitress was very patient and attentive despite the fact that it was packed. We ordered the Caprese salad as an appetizer and the mozzarella was so fresh it almost melted in your mouth! We also had the fig bruschetta and meatballs, both great! As an entrée I had chicken marsala which was okay but the chicken was a little dry. I also had half order of penne a la vodka and it was very tasty. My only complaint is that even with a reservation on a Saturday night we still had to wait a long time to be seated, at least about 20 min.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodcazzyVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food is excellent, but I feel they need more wait staff. The out door dining area was understaffed and the bar was not stocked properly. The bartender had to run inside to get any wine. That meant a long wait time for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treme - must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Great food, service & ambiance. Great menu selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/9/2014We were served very good food. The apple salad is excellent. The spaghetti & meatballs were good. The pizza was good. The house Pinot Grigio was mediocre,Special Features:
- Wine dinner outstanding!LuvmyfoodDined on 9/8/2014Our three course wine dinner was wonderful! First course cavitelli with sausage and broccoli rabe was complimented with Sauvignon Blanc; surf and turf main ( strip steak and shrimp with corn purée and balsamic ) was cooked perfectly and was complimented with red montelpuciano;and desert was a fabulous piece of the most delicious tieramisu and coffee liquor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningAshley2014Dined on 9/7/2014We had a lovely evening & delicious dinner at Verace. The service was excellent as was our server Sean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian Food.CharlieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Take it from a sicilian the food is outstanding I highly recommend the Lasagna made with short rib meat and pork very very good and try their antipastas all made to perfection. And dont leave without desserts...Buon Appetit..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/5/2014We started w fabulous meatballs & a great fresh salad w pecans. We both had delicious shrimp scampi as our main course. Pasta was cooked perfectly. Portions were generous & all the food was delicious. Bread was ok; olive oil was of outstanding quality. The house red wine was good & fairly priced. You really can't beat the lunch special: two courses for $17 per person.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/1/2014Food was off. Not very tasty. Perhaps not the regular chef on Labor DAy. Probably try againSpecial Features:
- Best ItalianJessDined on 9/1/2014Love this Italian food! It is the best around, have gone plenty of times and will be back for sure. I highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysLovespastaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Verace is consistently a good bet,we are always more than well satisfied as Verace always exceeds our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurantbreadguy226Dined on 8/30/2014Staff & service was great also the food was excellent. One negative was the tables were right on top of each other wasn't very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.