Verace: True Italian
599 Main Street
Islip, NY 11751Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Verace: True Italian
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.veracerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6312773800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Rougey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for any questions regarding our catering menu.
- Private Party Facilities: Like its name, meaning truthfulness, Verace: True Italian is sincere in its commitment to bring authentic Italian cuisine, intrinsically fashionable décor and gracious service to Long Island.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant for any questions regarding private parties.
A word from Verace: True Italian
This is not like the Italian restaurants you may be used to on Long Island. Verace's menu is designed to incorporate traditional Italian cooking techniques, recipes with modern American twists and fresh, local ingredients. We offer a fantastic selection of meats and cheeses, sliced on our 101 year old Berkel slicer. Start with one of our flatbread pizzas fired in our Woodstone oven or one of our half portions of house made pasta. For your entree, enjoy a full plate of pasta, classics like our Osso Bucco and Shrimp Scampi or Italian American comfort foods like Chicken Parmesan and Veal Marsala. Conclude your dining experience with one of our house made desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Verace: True Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (59)fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (46)romantic (37)hot spot (30)notable wine list (24)good for groups (21)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I brought a girl here for our second date. The outside courtyard and bar are very trendy, and the fountain added some nice ambiance. Walking in, the host recognized my reservation right away, and we were seated almost immediately. This restaurant can be loud, but not overly so. The atmosphere is very romantic, with candle lighting, and small tables. The chairs are very sturdy, unlike some other trendy places. The food was amazing, the antipasti have a huge variety, and were very fresh. The cheese was delicious. The wine list was impressive, and not that pricey. The food was amazing, the gnocchi with truffle butter is out of this world. Overall, a great experience, and will definitely be back. Plus, I got brownie points for settinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shakymanDined on 10/18/2014Found the food excellent, maybe because I had a reservation on a SATURDAY NIGHT. It was extremely noisy , and the couple across the table had a hard time hearing us. Also the tables were on so close couldn't even move chairs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely NOT real ItalianAnniversarygirlDined on 10/18/2014In all fairness, we just came back from a trip to Southern Italy... But calling this restaurant REAL Italian is a kind of a joke. Homemade pasta was good. What our pastas were dressed with was nothing special at all and very greasy. Appetizers were okay but portions were tiny and hard to share. Pistachio gelato for dessert was completely tasteless. Our local, simple Italian restaurant has better food by far at better prices. Our server seemed nice but overwhelmed by the number of diners he had to attend to. An older gentleman stood watch over the diners and seemed to do nothing but watch-didn't visit diners to see how their meals were or expedite service. All he did was say good night. No reason to return or recommend.
- Great atmosphereLunaTunaDined on 10/15/2014The food and service were great. I love the outdoor bar with fire place and TV. Will come back again not only for dinner but also for drinks.Special Features:
- Another great timeNickDined on 10/11/2014we continue to return for the impeccable service and delicious food. Really is true Italian and beyond, make reservations on weekends or expect to wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently gooddanaDined on 10/6/2014This was a return trip to this restaurant. Each time we have been the food and service has been consistently good, which is not often found in a restaurant. Our only constructive feedback is that the top 40 music selections didn't quite match with the type and level of food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food diner styleJurazVIPDined on 10/4/2014If you want to relax and enjoy your meal at a restaurant, this place is not for you. Verace has waiters and waitress's that are polite but serve you in a rush. Drinks, appetizers, entree and coffee in under an hour ruins the dining experience here. The food is over salted and mediocre. The food and service has changed since my previous visits.
- PerfectoMauitriciaDined on 10/3/2014I was looking for a place to take my fiancé for his birthday. We had been to Verace before and I knew it was good. This visit exceeded even what I had expected. The fresh flounder was one of the best fish dishes we've had in a long time and the fresh pasta was so good. We couldn't stop eating, long after we were completely full. We've decided this is our new favorite local Long Island restaurant. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/29/2014We had a good lunch at a good price. They were out of the Italian red wine I like. There is no excise for that.9
- Feel like a sardinenoneDined on 9/27/2014Food was okay but my fix salad had sea salt on the plate, no one else's did, and it ruined it. We were crammed like sardines in the dining area and four of us were at a table that was barely big enough for two.we had to give back our bread and other plates to the waiter just to make room to eat. Saving grace was the outstanding waiter. Not sure I would want to go back again and Endure such cramped quarters while trying to enjoy a meal
- Amazing!AlombaDined on 9/26/2014Love coming here. One of the best Italian restaurants on the Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthdayOrlyDined on 9/26/2014From start to finish, outstanding. Great service, food, atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing.WineListFirstDined on 9/26/2014I was very surprised and extremely disappointed. For this group to have so many good restaurants and the food be so poor at Verace was shocking.
- An Off DayMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/24/2014I usually like Verace for lunch, but on this occasion I felt like the step child at the reading of the will. The first course clams & salads were good. My main course spaghetti & meatballs consisted of 1/4 cup of spaghetti & two tiny meatballs. Meanwhile my friend's shrimp scampi included a huge bowl of pasta & at least eight shrimp. Her lunch dish was six times the size of mine. I don't know what they are doing in the kitchen. The last time I ordered this dish, I got spaghetti & meatballs. If this was my first experience, I would not return! The kitchen as to figure it out. I left hungry. The last time I left w half my meatballs in a take out box. Ripped off!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pasta and tap winemccmVIPDined on 9/22/2014Homemade pasta, always cooked properly (al dente), with shrimp in lemon sauce is a consistent winner. Ditto for the Wines on tap. The cheese and meats boards are really enjoyable. All employees were friendly and restaurant decor/ambience is very pleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationgrkbebegrlDined on 9/20/2014I went to Verace recently to celebrate a friends birthday and it was a great dining experience. Our waitress was very patient and attentive despite the fact that it was packed. We ordered the Caprese salad as an appetizer and the mozzarella was so fresh it almost melted in your mouth! We also had the fig bruschetta and meatballs, both great! As an entrée I had chicken marsala which was okay but the chicken was a little dry. I also had half order of penne a la vodka and it was very tasty. My only complaint is that even with a reservation on a Saturday night we still had to wait a long time to be seated, at least about 20 min.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodcazzyVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food is excellent, but I feel they need more wait staff. The out door dining area was understaffed and the bar was not stocked properly. The bartender had to run inside to get any wine. That meant a long wait time for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treme - must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Great food, service & ambiance. Great menu selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/9/2014We were served very good food. The apple salad is excellent. The spaghetti & meatballs were good. The pizza was good. The house Pinot Grigio was mediocre,Special Features:
- Wine dinner outstanding!LuvmyfoodDined on 9/8/2014Our three course wine dinner was wonderful! First course cavitelli with sausage and broccoli rabe was complimented with Sauvignon Blanc; surf and turf main ( strip steak and shrimp with corn purée and balsamic ) was cooked perfectly and was complimented with red montelpuciano;and desert was a fabulous piece of the most delicious tieramisu and coffee liquor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningAshley2014Dined on 9/7/2014We had a lovely evening & delicious dinner at Verace. The service was excellent as was our server Sean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian Food.CharlieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Take it from a sicilian the food is outstanding I highly recommend the Lasagna made with short rib meat and pork very very good and try their antipastas all made to perfection. And dont leave without desserts...Buon Appetit..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 9/5/2014We started w fabulous meatballs & a great fresh salad w pecans. We both had delicious shrimp scampi as our main course. Pasta was cooked perfectly. Portions were generous & all the food was delicious. Bread was ok; olive oil was of outstanding quality. The house red wine was good & fairly priced. You really can't beat the lunch special: two courses for $17 per person.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/1/2014Food was off. Not very tasty. Perhaps not the regular chef on Labor DAy. Probably try againSpecial Features:
- Best ItalianJessDined on 9/1/2014Love this Italian food! It is the best around, have gone plenty of times and will be back for sure. I highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysLovespastaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Verace is consistently a good bet,we are always more than well satisfied as Verace always exceeds our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurantbreadguy226Dined on 8/30/2014Staff & service was great also the food was excellent. One negative was the tables were right on top of each other wasn't very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local WinnerMcstumpDined on 8/26/2014Closer to an Italian Bistro than a restaurant. Limited menu but the food is outstanding. Service is excellent and the wait staff goes out of their way to be helpful. Try the Chicken Parm-its amazing!!Special Features:
- specialLisaDined on 8/20/2014Everything was just a special dining experience. From the friendly professional greeting to the very attentive wait staff, you were made to believe you deserved this. Food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDiningdivaVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had a family outing and ate on the terrace which was lovely. We shared a bunch of appetizers to start. All were superb the buratta was exceptional. We were all thrilled with both the pasta and meat entrees that we ordered. The service was also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday wine nightJro74Dined on 8/18/2014My wife and I went to the wine night this past Monday. The restaurant was not particularly busy so it was not as loud as it can be there on a busy weekend night. We first had a cocktail at the bar and them took a table in their back seating area. The 3 courses and wine pairings were excellent and all of the staff we encountered were very pleasant and accommodating. A very relaxing evening. We will definately go again on a Monday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very bad service!AnnoyedDined on 8/16/2014Waited 1/2 hour to get our wine. Then we received only 6 pieces of bread had 7 people at the table. Requested more bread, never received it. The restaurant ran out of bread. Ordered the mussels, the shells were biggers than the mussels. The waiter never asked us how our meals were. Never saw him until after we were all done.
- Great placeTaylorDined on 8/9/2014Great food , good service . Sat outside on a nice night and it was quiet and enjoyable .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodJoanDined on 8/9/2014The food was very good; the server was attentive and pleasant. Tables are close together. Can be a bit of a tight squeeze for the wait staff to get around the tables. Food is very good, but a bit pricey. I found the noise level about the same as any restaurant on a Saturday night. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience.Liam461VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had been wanting to go to this restaurant for some time now and glad that we finally made it. It was a awesome time. Let's start by saying, the food was excellent. I had the home made pasta in the bolenese sauce. This is no ordinar red meat sauce ( it's not red at all ), chunks of delicious meat packed with flavor. My companion had the Bronzino. Which she loves and said this was the best one she has ever had. Enough said. Our waitress, Angeline, aas a pleasure. Very attentive and easy to find when needed. Even though she was obviously busy because all the tables were full, but not overbearing. The atmosphere was very relaxed, great music in the background, but not to loud. Extremely pleased and highly recommended.Special Features:
- timbtimbDined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent, nice portions, in fact we had enough for dinner the next day and the waitress ( Julie ) was on point and very accomodating. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!AKDineDined on 8/3/2014The food was delicious. The pasta is made on location and the creamy polenta is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningLawaDined on 8/1/2014Verace is a great restaurant. The food is amazing & you want to try everything on the menu. The waitress was great too. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeMep0198VIPDined on 7/23/2014We have been here many times and each time it is excellent, we ae never disappointed. Service is excellent, food is beautifully prepared and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great restaurantlauracDined on 7/20/2014We are outside on the patio and it was soo nice. food was great, our server was great and so was the wine..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.