Vera Mae's Bistro
209 S. Walnut Street
Muncie, IN 47305Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vera Mae's Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.veramaes.com/
- Phone: 765-747-4941x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick Kirkpatrick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Vera Mae's Bistro is a full service caterer offering only the finest food and drink with elegant accommodations and outstanding service. Vera Mae's offers both on site and off premise catering as well as delivery and pick up. We offer a wide variety of hors d'oeuvres intended for both large and small gatherings; as well as, entrées designed to hold up to the demands of off premise service--all with a concentration on presentation and flavor.
- Private Party Facilities: Located in the lower level of the restaurant, overlooking the wine cellar, the Boardroom offers a completely private dining atmosphere for up to 40 guests. This intimate space is well suited for business presentations and small conferences as well as warm gatherings of friends and family.
- Private Party Contact: David Franklin 7657474941x
- Entertainment: Vera Mae's hosts special events such as musical and theatrical presentations, community and educational programs, wine tastings and much more. We have enjoyed acts such as Jazz greats Diane Reeves, Carole King, and Jackie Allen, New York Voices and Ball State University Theatre and Dance students. We proudly offer live music on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights featuring the talents of pianists Jim Burcaw and Phil Cooley.
A word from Vera Mae's Bistro
Located in the revitalized historic district of downtown Muncie Indiana, Vera Mae's offers upscale fusion cuisine borrowing from the rich traditions of Europe, Asia and the new world. Our goal is to offer the highest quality and freshest fare available presented with impeccable service with attention to detail. Warm and inviting, the atmosphere reflects the love of the historic features inherent to the space and is filled with art work predominantly from local artisans.Our banquet facility, private dining area and seasonal outside seating allows for a wide range of accommodations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Vera Mae's Bistro - Best Restaurants in Muncie ›
Vera Mae's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)romantic (26)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (17)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (11)hot spot (10)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- daughterDined on 10/8/2014Wonderful evening, food good, company great. The owners of the restaurant great hosts.Special Features:
- Magical night outRozaDined on 10/3/2014I love this place, they prepare everything from top quality products, everything tastes great. The service is kind and efficient yet discreet, which is hard to find in the USA overall. A very classy experience! Beautiful for romantic dinners or family occasions or business meetings, they have adapted seating in different rooms for different needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good for MuncieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014This place is cocky and overpriced but really good. If you want to eat unusual piece of meat or poultry and are looking for cooking creativity, this is the only place to go in Muncie. Good wine selection too. However, prices are too high for what you are getting. Nice place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great Time!!JohnnyMathisNightDined on 10/2/2014This was our first dining experience at Vera Mae's. Enjoyed our time. Food was great, waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place, let downTommypDined on 9/24/2014I stopped for lunch and ordered French onion soup and crab cake sandwich. The onion soup was one of the best I've ever had. The crab cake was more of a wRm seafood salad. The bun was saturated and the whole thing fell apart. I tried eating with a fork but found the taste to be bland and very greasy. I never had a chance to tell the waitress as she never came back to my table. No one even question why I didn't eat my entree which was disintegrated ob my plate. Very cool atmosphere and it looked like other dishes were good, but the service was very slow...
- AWESOME Grouper!CindyDQDined on 9/20/2014Oh my goodness! The grouper, quinoa, kale dish I had on Saturday night should be on the menu every day. The piece of fish was huge and the butternut squash puree was just the right touch to finish off the dish. This entrée gets a perfect 10 in my book. Combine that with a wonderful environment and FABULOUS hosts, Kent and Steve, and you have a winning combination. Totally awesome! Totally YUM!Special Features:
- A great gemDavidVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great food and cool decor. The best restaurant in Muncie! Something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomejeck0653Dined on 9/13/2014We had our wedding reception here 4 years ago. The experience was awesome. Very good waiter!Special Features:
- Good time for old-timersLocalsDined on 9/6/2014Staff are attentive and owners are interested in diners' experiences.Special Features:
- Special occasion lunchJeanieDined on 9/5/2014Flew in to indiana to take my 90 yr old mother to vera maes since we both love this restaurant. My flight was late but still made it for lunch at 1:30... Lunch closes at 2. We both had the quiche and it was heavenly. The french onion soup is unbeatable. The coffee is ok for my taste but my mother liked it. I had my heart set on bananas foster for desert but the waitress said they were out of bananas. ...? When i had called to doublecheck if they received my reservation the day before asked if they serve banana foster for lunch desert and was told they did. Its hard to find a restaurant that serves this desert so was really looking forward to it. Oh well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Cajun specials.TamiDined on 9/4/2014On the first Thursday of each month, Vera Mae's features a special Cajun menu. I tried the fried oysters served with roasted Brussel sprouts and dirty rice. My spouse had the seafood étouffée. Both meals were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same Time Next Year !ResayDined on 8/28/2014I always love seeing the owners,they are always very welcoming. My friend order the rack of lamb this year and had ordered lamb the previous year. It was delicious, So plentiful that I had a chop and there was enough for him to take some home. I tried one of the Italian offerings for the first time Very tasty.Wonderful music from the "American Song Book" Service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerCindyDQDined on 8/21/2014If you are seeking a restaurant where everything clicks, visit Vera Mae's. The food is fabulous, the service attentive and the atmosphere is comfortable. Kent and Steve, the owners are always present to ensure a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, except the hairAaricmunDined on 8/16/2014My fiancé and I went here for an anniversary dinner. The wonton appetizers were very good and out waiter was very nice. When my salad was brought out it had a long black hair in the side dressing. I nicely asked for a different salad due to the hair. I didn't make a big fuss about it, but was surprised there was no apologies from the management or atleast a refund of the salad. At such an "upscale" restaraunt you pay higher prices expecting better food and service. I have to say I was very disappointed and will most likely not be returning.Special Features:
- Will try again!MuncieDined on 8/11/2014My husband and I recently celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary here. We found a plentiful wine list, numerous appetizers offered and various entrees to please our appetites. I would try this restaurant again, as the Cajun Crabcakes and Onion soup was excellent and the service impecable. However, the tables are too close together, and there were several noisy groups around us. Some sound barriers are needed.Special Features:
- The UngersthekidfreecoupleDined on 8/9/2014We found ourselves kid free on Saturday evening 8-9 and wanted to do something special! We had always wanted to try VM and SO glad we made that choice! Our waiter was awesome......I believe his name was Skip??? Our fettuccine and chicken cordon bleu was phenomenal!! Thank you so very much for keeping such a wonderful gem in downtown Muncie alive and kickin!! We WILL return! Oh and I also got to say hello and speak with my old physician, Dr. Cooley!! How awesome was that!!?? Many wishes for your continued success and look forward to dining again!Special Features:
- Ray57Dined on 8/8/2014Great food, great staff. Not inexpensive, but worth it. Best Fine Dining experience in Muncie and surrounding areas.Special Features:
- gracieDined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent but is a bit pricey. Definately a place for special occasions.Special Features:
- The A GroupgisdinerDined on 7/29/2014Our waiter had a group of 12 downstairs which made it difficult for him to be attentive to our group. He did a great job with banana foster. Eclectic decor.Special Features:
- Over-ratedMuncieFoodiesDined on 7/26/2014People in Muncie consider this "fine dining"...it truly is not. The owners are personable and very gracious, but the food quality has disappointed us the last 3-4 times we have dined there. The last time (last week) was probably the last time we will go there. Ordered my filet rare to med. rare. The server ASSURED me med. rare was always perfectly medium rare. Mine was medium. My husband's NY strip had a piece of gristle running completely through it and was tough. Featured "starch" ( that is what they call it...very inelegant, tacky term BTW) was mashed potatoes. They were the WORST mashed potatoes of all time... dry ( mine had a crusty film on top), absolutely flavorless with no drizzle, au jus or gravy. Our tab for 2 was $108 ( no bar).Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceHappyDinerDined on 7/23/2014We met another couple who we hadn't seen in several years. Had an excellent experience. Wait staff was friendly, efficient and on top of everything. I would definitely recommend Vera Mae's Bistro.Special Features:
- Great find in MuncieEatMeatVIPDined on 7/21/2014I was taken here for dinner by the group I was visiting in town for work. It is a fantastic find. The service was great, the wine list had eclectic selections and the food and service was top notch. Two of us had the trout that was grown locally. Just happened to have the owners of the trout farm dining next to our table. She came over and talked about her aquaculture farm to us during dinner - an added treat. It was prepared very well and we liked it very much. Wish we were staying longer and we would try more of the options. Recommend highly to anyone in Muncie.Special Features:
- The following 310 reviews are from the Vera Mae's Bistro reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I both had great dinners, and the service was very good. I would love to have the recipe for the Crema di Parmigiano sauce. Probably, not going to happen. Thanks for a nice time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvS52Dined on 6/20/2014Our group of four would have enjoyed the experience more if the noise level had allowed conversation. I would like to have enjoyed the piano music!Special Features:
- Excellent!LesSnyDined on 6/17/2014The crawfish nachos were one of the best appetizers I've ever had! I definitely recommend ordering them. The chicken with brie and a raspberry reduction was also an excellent choice. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatKSwynfordVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great as usual! If you are looking for a restaurant in Muncie, this is it!!!Special Features:
- Fine dining in the heart of MuncieEricDined on 5/30/2014Very glad to have found this great restaurant and look forward to my next meal there!Special Features:
- Good4ColtsFansVIPDined on 5/29/2014Always good. The best place in Muncie. Love that they always have new specials every week.
- Just awesomeSmeeDined on 5/13/2014You will find time after time the food and service here is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in town‼️KABOOMDined on 5/10/2014There is nothing else like it in Muncie. The food is amazing. The service is second to none. I love everything about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereNewToBallStateDined on 5/7/2014Vera Mae's has a warm, romantic atmosphere. Our server was friendly and attentive. The food was delicious. It's super convenient to make a reservation online, though you really don't need one if you are going on a weekday. I will definitely be back to try more of their menu items.Special Features:
- A Terrific RestaurantMB52Dined on 5/5/2014Interesting décor, great service and terrific food.Special Features:
- great place for special occassionsgraduation2014Dined on 5/3/2014Had a great time with family at the restaurant. Food was outstanding and service was very good. I have no complaints. It was perfect for my sons graduation party. It was really nice that they also took reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My BirthdayRachellynnDined on 4/21/2014I had dinner at Vera Mae's for my birthday and I was not disappointed. The food was absolutely amazing. I had the chicken breast with Brie and raspberry sauce, my date had the dill crusted cod. Both entrees were worth the money spent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeraMae's BistroBellaChanDined on 4/18/2014Vera Mae's is very nice looking and the service was great. However, the risotto wasn't made correctly, I wasn't told that the sweet potato hash was served with sausage and it was a bit too spicy. My boyfriend enjoyed the spinach and feta wantons, though he thought they were a bit greasy and he liked the french onion soup, but was confused as to why it was served with safety scissors. I loved the filet, the broccolini was a little raw though. My dessert was excellent though, I had the lemon curd cheesecake, and I did love the Shirley temple I drank. At the end of the night though we just felt it was a bit overpriced for the food we got.Special Features:
- Excellent atmosphere, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/14/2014Excellent atmosphere, excellent food, excellent evening!Special Features:
- CelebrationyumyumDined on 4/11/2014Everything was lovely. We were celebrating with our daughter who will be graduating from BSU in a few weeks, on the completion of her thesis project. The food was excellent as was the service and overall appearance of the restaurant. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceCindyDined on 4/4/2014This is our "go to" restaurant for special occasions (rehearsal dinner, graduations and 80th birthday party) Service is excellent, food is always great and the ambience lends to a relaxing evening. They always have specials and they never disappoint. Happy we discovered this gem when we moved to Muncie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vera Mae's BistroLeanieDined on 4/3/2014For fresh food with an interesting menu it is the ONLY place in Muncie. Thursday night busy with familiar faces in the house. Always where to go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014This restaurant was fabulous. Their waitstaff was phenomenal. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.