Venga Venga, Chula Vista
2015 Birch Road
Chula Vista, CA 91915Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Venga Venga, Chula Vista
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/vengavengachulavista
- Phone: (619) 397-0986
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday | 11AM-10PM
Friday - Saturday | 11AM-11PM
Sunday | 11AM-9PM
Sun-Friday | 4-10PM
Sunday | 10:30AM-3PM
Noches de Venga
Friday & Saturday | 10PM-2AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Venga Venga, Chula Vista
Let's go, let's go! Chef Richard Sandoval invites guests to gather, dine and raise a glass at Venga Venga Cantina & Tequila Bar. Savor authentic Mexican cooking served alongside 100 Tequilas and mezcals. The casual yet sophisticated interior provides a warm environment for guests to enjoy, while the courtyard and patio offer fire pits and views overlooking the Otay Ranch Plaza. Venga Venga!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Venga Venga, Chula Vista reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (7)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very affordable prices:)Lalalala2010Dined on 11/19/2014We sat at the Bar for Happy hour, service was great, the drinks were delicious, and the food was amazing. It's such a nice place and I was in Awe when I saw the prices. So affordable for such a nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Venga Venga out for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Venga, Venga was our choice for a Saturday night dinner. Although it was very busy the service was super and friendly. Food was tasty and came out rapidly. Good choice for a local dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Venga VengaMaxwellDined on 10/11/2014Great! The first measure is the salsa with the chips they put out, purportedly housemade salsa, and it was great. Not just some tomato relish with seasoning, it had deep flavor and a bit of heat. Drinks, both the spicy orange margarita and whatever margarita had the habanero orange puree in it were good. They had a fresh flavor that was obviously not from a mix, although neither were actually spicy. The carnitas was better by far than any carnitas I've had anywhere. The waitress' description of them was very accurate. I didn't even want to mix the meat with the sides because I didn't want to hide any of that flavor. Although there was so much, I made some tacos anyway to try everything. The charro beans were also full of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not particularly goodpaladin732VIPDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I have always been huge fans of LA Sandia. One of Richard Sandoval's other restaurants. This place just feels like a sad imitation of it. Almost like they took all the food and substituted it with chain-quality food. My husband described it best as "like La Sandia would be if tgi Fridays owned them". As an example: LA Sandia has the most amazing fresh church's. Here, they are frozen and had roughly the same consistency as cardboard. I really wanted to like this place. I just couldn't.
- Venga Venga – NO VENGA!SouthBayDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Midafternoon lunch and everything went wrong. All our meals came out one at a time over a 30 minute period. On child never did get his lunch. Condensation dripping from the ceiling like a rain forest. Food was mediocre. Manager don’t seem to care. STAY AWAY!
- Nice...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I had a wonderful time with my boyfriend. It was our first time here. They had something for everyone. Even some paint class, different but cool. Will def come back with the girls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointeddisappointedDined on 8/16/2014The chiles were small and expensive, the guac had no seasoning, stale chips were mixed with fresh ones, the shrimp were tiny, the drinks were watered down, the beans were not even that tasty
- Happy Hour at it's bestetLyannaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Every day happy hour!!! It's always a plus paying happy hour prices on the weekend. The food is simple and delicious. Ambience is very casual and relax. Service it is always fast and the staf is usually friendly. I am a fan of this place and I totally recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedTablefor2Dined on 8/8/2014Though the service was outstanding, the chile relleno festival was a huge disappointment. The portabello enchilada was exquisite and had a appetizing presentation.Special Features:
- Ver disappointingDiningqueenVIPDined on 8/8/2014Went for lunch. Food was cold and bland. The marguerita was great but pricey.
- The following 38 reviews are from the Venga Venga, Chula Vista reviews archive.
- Needs Better Servers & Draft BeersFriendlyVIPDined on 7/27/2014We love the food, we love the restaurant, but we've twice been and horribly inattentive waiters when it's not busy. And what big bar these days doesn't have a single draft beer tap. Needs some work to improve on both fronts before we'll be back, sorry. And on the hottest days of the year this past Sunday, why do we have to sweat with no air conditioning and doors open tothe heat and humidity. Really!Special Features:
- A good time was had by allluv2eatDined on 7/10/2014It was good, everyone had a great time and the food options were terrific!Special Features:
- Fantastic environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014We had dinner on June 14,2014 it was our first time there and we loved it so much!!!!! We even made reservations for Father's Day my husband loved it so much!!!!! Especially the live mariachis came to our table and sang for us great!!!!!!we loved the brunch deal and the drink deal as we'll the food awesome!!!!! Drinks were greattt!!!! Thank you so much we had a greattt relaxing time best place ever service was so great!!!!!Special Features:
- Edgar PerryPPOPPSDined on 6/7/2014I can't express enough just how much I appreciate the attention given to the party that I had booked on the 7th of June, celebrating the Birthday of our favorite uncle. The staff, from the General Manager , Matthew Swigart to the Hostess, were most accommodating. Our waitress(I'm bad with names) was outstanding! The VENGA VENGA is on my list as the place for, Quite romantic dinner , Group party, Or just an enjoyable cocktail.....Thanks again Venga Venga......Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchShellyDined on 5/25/2014The service and the live music was very good. The food; however, is a bit bland. It does not have to be spicier, just more flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow night at VengaYumyumVIPDined on 5/22/2014Sorry outdoor patio not open as I go there for that, but service by Elijah was terrific!Special Features:
- Great night but slow serviceElisabethDined on 5/17/2014We were a party of 12 women for a going away party/girls' night out. We absolutely enjoyed our evening at Venga Venga but my goodness the service was slow. There were several long stretches of time during which we were waiting for someone, anyone to come to our table to refresh our drinks or check if we wanted to order anything else. I will be back for the atmosphere and delicious food, but I sincerely hope I'm better taken care of!
- Excellet dinning experienceRichDined on 5/11/2014The food was exceptional as was the setting. We lived in New Mexico for 13 years and love green chili stew. It is hard to get good green chili stew in California, but it was great at Venga, Venga!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodjmillDined on 5/11/2014hello, i dined there on mothers day food was extremly cold and took over 30 minutes for each entree..our server was manuel he is wonderful. . quality of food mediochre. wontb be back.Special Features:
- Love the Food!DebbieDined on 5/7/2014I've been there 6 or 7 times and slowly the service is improving, but the food has been outstanding every time I've been there. Favorites are Steak Fajitas, chile relleno and now the sampler platter. Best margarita ever is the prickly pear blueberry infused margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fineJeepee5Dined on 4/22/2014Venga Venga is great alternative for Southbayers to celebrate Taco Tuesday. The staff is very courteous and friendly. There are three options for seating-bar, outdoors, and family/group. I rated the food with only 4-stars because I've only tried the tacos, which were delicious...I plan to visit again and try the other stuff on the menu. The classic margarita is the best I've had in SD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall is good, service needs workreddove113VIPDined on 4/20/2014- Reserved through OpenTable for 12:15 PM, had to wait 15 minutes to be seated. - Decor and architecture is outstanding. I would move in here to live permanently. - Bathrooms are sparkling clean and spacious, great decor in here too. - All food was delicious and would order each item again. - Entire menu is a la carte with kids' menu having full meals (including drink and scoop of ice cream). Brunch is around $25 per adult, $13 per child and you can order any a la carte items off the menu as your buffet. No, they do not have a buffet table where you walk up and choose what food you want. All food is made fresh for you, an order coming out of the kitchen. - Service was slow, be prepared to wait.Special Features:
- Meh...KCSDDined on 4/20/2014I booked a Brunch reservation (10:45am) for Easter Sunday & hubby's bday. The bottomless brunch sounded perfect on the menu, however when we received the actual food at the table it was a little disappointed. * Fresh Fruit & Guacamole for the table - Not good :( * Bottomless Brunch - just ok food. Very small portions. The best of the menu is probably the chilaquiles. * Bottomless Drinks - margaritas are ok, however, service is too slow! Soft drinks and coffee not included. * Dessert - Tres leches cake - the spoon was bigger than the cake - serve 1 cake for three people. I would not recommend it for Brunch, you may get better service and quality of food during happy hour or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going backMyriamDined on 3/28/2014Food is not good and service is awful, we ordered quesadillas and they brought them to us with no cheese inside!!! We had to reordered hot coffee twice because they were keeping on bringing us cold coffee. Drinks were just ok... I am not going back.Special Features:
- Vibrant Cantina & Grill!!diningduoDined on 3/18/2014An exciting restaurant experience is sure to come your way here at the lovely Venga Venga! We came here to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and we were quite pleased with the service, food & ambience. Their menu offers a wide range of delicious selections and all are reasonably priced. Upon entering the establishment, one can't help but feel welcomed by the beautiful surroundings such as: the lively music, warm lighting, hardwood floors, and cozy leather booth seating. There is a beautiful patio & inner courtyard to enjoy as well. Our dishes were steak tacos & a grilled chicken burrito. Both were delicious! Their margaritas are excellent & the horchata drink is a must!! The waitress was very warm & helpful as well! A must see!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Tamarindo Margarita wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014The Tamarindo Margarita was flavorless. The Mushroom Flatbread appetizer was not crisp nor flavorful. The Tres Leches cake was dry; not moist at all. None of these items could be finished because they were so unappealing. Venga, Venga's food is actually seems to tell you "No vuelva, no vuelva."Special Features:
- Very bad mexican food!MyriamVIPDined on 2/22/2014It is a shame of installations and locations. The tables are extremely small and need paint. The food was tasteless and cold. Will not go back!
- Venga Venga Vamonos!LouieCVDined on 2/14/2014If you like a restaurant with the lastest trend of loud bar music then this place is for you. The food is traditional mexican with a twist and flair of flavors and presentation. Had chickent wing and empanadas appetizers which were very good. For entres we had the tacos, chicken breasts ad enchiladas; all had pretty good flavors. The overall experience has a dinner feel of bar food in a casual elegant setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "He Put A Ring On It" bridal showerQTNSDDined on 2/8/2014Our server, Natalia was the best. Even with our large party she was on top of everything. They provided us with a indoor table since my patio choice my be a bit cold for my party. She even thanked me for having the party there as a left. We plan to make Venga Venga are after work happy hour spot at least once a month. The location is also perfect for that since are work is right across the street. Everyone had a great time with the food, music and ambiance. The restaurant gives you that trendy feel like it would be in the Gaslamp. Luv it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant, Good Food, PriceycveaterDined on 2/7/2014Service was great and food was good. Overall atmosphere was very loud. A lot of dropped plates and conversations of others such that you could not hear others at your own table. Pricey for Mexican food, but a good place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbianceBlessedDined on 2/1/2014My wife and a couple and another couple went to Venga Venga for the first time. We were very impressed with the ambiance and the overall appearance. it is very clean and aesthetically pleasing.Special Features:
- Fabulous!AmyWiseDined on 1/27/2014The food--delicious! The service--amazing! The atmosphere--lovely! The people--wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful PotentialElisabethDined on 1/19/2014I chose Venga Venga for its neighborhood appeal and quality of food... made a reservation for nine people for my birthday on a Sunday at 3pm. The mariachis were so loud and made it impossible to hear anyone, and even when they took a few-minute break, the restaurant was still SO NOISY. The server was nice but food and requests (more water, extra salsa) were slow to be delivered. My enchiladas divorciadas were delicious, but an enjoyable atmosphere of family conversations was hard to come by.
- Not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Maybe its because of the new yeas eve, but the service was not so good, drink Ok, food so so.Special Features:
- I'd go back to the bar.BucktownBobVIPDined on 12/23/2013We visited VV during the "tamale festival," which included 3 assorted tamales for $10.95: mole, tinga and sweet corn. The mole was dry--not only the meat, but the masa was crumbly and tough. Same with the tinga to a lesser extent, but the sweet corn tamalito was excellent and very moist and pillowy. The house made chips and salsa were a standout. I asked if they could make the salsa spicier and got a 50¢ upcharge, which is ridiculous. Clearly the restaurant is banking on the fact that they've got a lively, big bar and a "tequila menu," but once the novelty wears off (and it will), I'm concerned that the food won't stand up. Still: GO to VV... I'm always in favor of more things opening up in Otay Ranch, especially higher-end options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/22/2013Not the extraordinary Sandoval experience I was looking forward to. It's too far out of the way for a repeat visit
- Great lounge and barDonHoelDined on 12/21/2013This is a great place to hang out locally in Eastlake/Otay Ranch area. The music is vibrant and happy hour is definitely one of the attractions for this place. The outdoor lounge area is great for small group of friends to hang out. The food seem to be a bit bland. I would give this place a big thumbs up for the decor, layout, ambience and service. If you're a foodie, go somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chula Vista Happy HourMexFoodieDined on 12/4/2013Great Chula Vista Happy Hour When you live in Chula Vista, its nice not to have to go to downtown for a decent drink and bite to eat. Especially when all you want to do is have a nice time with friends or family. This location has changed three times already, lets hope this one is staying…..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good 4 adults, leave the kids homeTooSpicy4myKidsDined on 11/27/2013All the adults loved the food, it is really unique and good food. HOWEVER, we would not ever bring our kids back. The bean burrito ON THE KIDS MENU is SOOOOOOO spicy. My 3 year old son took 1 bite and then drank about a gallon of water. It was pretty spicy even for the adults. We had to send it back for pretty standard chicken strips.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceDarrinDined on 11/15/2013I was intrigued to try it out since Eastlake does not have a lot of nice places to eat. I was certain that the quality of food would be superb because it is operated under chef Richard Sandoval. Well the food was, in fact, great! Unfortunately, it was the service that killed it for all of us. It took 15 minutes to get the first drink out, and about another 15 to get the rest. We counted 5 times that other servers brought out apps, entrees, and drinks to our table that were for someone else. Check was dropped before we were even done eating. Bottom line, service was slow and too many mistakes gave me a bad opinion about this place. I remain questionable as to whether I want to give this place another try in the future...Special Features: