1799 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94703Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.caffevenezia.com/
- Phone: 5108494681
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday-Friday, 11:00-3:00
Happy Hour Monday-Friday, 5:00-7:00.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Kamran Hazrati
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Venezia has a private dining room, The Tuscan Room, which accommodates up to 25 guests. The entire restaurant is also available for buyouts of up to 120 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Roger or Jeff 5108494681
- Entertainment: We offer live opera several times throughout the year. Please check our website for details.
- Special Events: Happpy Hour Monday - Friday 5:00-7:00PM.
Mother's Day Brunch 10:00-2:00
A word from Venezia
Caffe Venezia is a Berkeley institution acclaimed for its great food, value and atmosphere. Our menu features a wide assortment of fresh pasta, artisinal pizzas, meats and fish, a moderately priced wine list, full bar and local draught beers.We offer vegan and gluten free dining options. All this is served in a charming interior that invokes an Italian piazza with floor-to-ceiling murals, a central fountain, hanging laundry, wrought iron balconies, and even roosting faux pigeons! Venezia is child friendly and has a warm, personable staff. Parking is available behind the restaurant and, at night, next door in the AAA lot. Venezia is one of the few restaurants in town that can accommodate large parties with ease. We have a private dining room that can seat 25 comfortably, and the main dining room seats parties up to 40 in a bustling, festive atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Venezia reviews from OpenTable diners
- Say it ain't soOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2013We understand this wonderful restaurant is going to go out of business soon. That's too bad, as it's our favorite in the bay Area. The food never fails to amaze, but the staff are simply lovely. They must have a hiring policy that includes a requirement for warmth, intelligence, taste, and humor.Special Features:
- Unfortunately Closing June 2nddatspeedVIPDined on 5/26/2013Venezia has been our go to Italian restaurant since it opened over 30 years ago. Their current and final location is closing June 2nd, 2013. You have one week to enjoy it for the last time. They simplified the menu bring back old favorite pasta recipes. Ciao, Venezia! We'll miss you!Special Features:
- Wonderful and sorry for closureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013WE enjoyed our dinner very much - food great and so is service. We are very sorry to know that it is closing as it is our favorite before the Berkeley Rep. Not many restaurants for great Italian food as this one.Special Features:
- We love Cafe Venezia and areOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2013We love Cafe Venezia and are so sad that it is closing-- it is several of my friends and my "go to" restaurant for getting together-- we are so glad that we got to eat there one last time and say goodbye!Special Features:
- Best Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2013Best place I have ever been to. Felt like you were sitting outside! We will be back on our next visit to Berkeley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently SplendidKnackeredDadDined on 5/18/2013Venezia never fails to delight my taste buds and my spirit. The atmosphere is inviting for hanging out at the bar area and just relaxing with your pal, partner, livelong love or whomever. The menu is full of delicious dishes and I a mainly go for the pasta with a side of meatballs. Every time I go to Venezia, I come away feeling like I want to spend a little more time in what seems like a world away from the daily grind. Cheers!Special Features:
- Food Still Good, Service an IssueRedwoodEmpireDined on 5/18/2013Let me start out by saying that we love this restaurant and have made the trek from Sonoma County to eat here a number of times. However, this seemed like an off night. Our server was definitely struggling to keep up and there were long waits between courses. The food, which is usually flawless, was uneven. Their Amaretto Sours were outstanding, as usual. The Calamari appetizer was incredible, but the sauce on the raviolies was thin and uninspired and the desserts were fair. Hoping this is just a momentary lapse for this fun and friendly restaurant.Special Features:
- Too bad they're closingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/18/2013A long-time favorite Berkeley restaurant of mine and my wife's. Too bad they're closing June 2, 2013, to be replaced with what is being described as a "quick service" restaurant. I shudder to think what that means.Special Features:
- We are heartbroken that VeneziaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2013We are heartbroken that Venezia is closing. We have been going there, and enjoying it immensely, for many years. We will especially miss the New Year's Eve opera performances.Special Features:
- Arrivederci caffe veneziaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Sadly, this neighborhood gem is closing at the end of May after more than 30 years of business. It has been. The place our friends and families turn to for cosy weekday dinners as well as celebrations like birthdays and graduations. The beautiful murals depicting a Venetian campo will be lost forever to us. Farewell, Inspectore Guido Brunetti, pasta puttanesca, spaghetti carbonara and paglia e fiena!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but some dishes were lackOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013This was my first time at Venezi'a in over 15 years. I heard it was closing and we made a reservation to celebrate mothers day and other family members birthdays. The space is really fun, with the murals and clothline. Our server was very nice and gave great service. We started with the potato chips that were tasty and creative. I will say we were not blown away w the food - I ordered the housemade spinach ravioli with cream sauce and it was undercooked and not very hot. I considered taking it back. The other pasta dishes family members ordered around the table were good, but not great. We did end well with a delicious tiramisu dessert and coffee that the servers stayed on top of keeping filled as much as I needed. thanksSpecial Features:
- A Tragedy...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013that this wonderful and unusual restaurant is closing! It has long been a favorite for us and will be sorely missed. Thank you, Venezia, for all the great dinners! Last night was one of the best ever. Good bye and good luck to all your wonderful staff, especially Maria. Love, Phyllis PotterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ravioliOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013A disclaimer: I'd had some stomach problems earlier in the day, so I wanted mild food. Ideally either just simple pasta and/or chicken. The waiter, on being told that, didn't offer to have the kitchen make me something simple, like plain chicken with some pasta - that's what I would expect from a "fine" restaurant. But I also didn't ask for that. The waiter did suggest what I thought was the stomach-easiest item on the menu, the spinach and cheese raviolis. Flavor good, temperature lukewarm, pasta tough. Fortunately, I don't usually order pasta. Also, midway through the meal I asked for bread, which they only offer "on request." I thought it was awful. I think it's supposed to be of the "crusty" bread style, but it was dry, flat, and tough.
- "The Last Supper"J15491Dined on 5/10/2013I am so sad that Venezia is closing at the end of May--the end of an era. The unique atmosphere, wonderful food, friendly service and neighborhood location simply can't be duplicated, and Berkeley is diminished without Venezia. If I could, I would give it a million stars--or at least 33--one for each year of wonderful dining experiences.Special Features:
- Please don't go away!mulliganDined on 5/4/2013Loved the place. Such a diverse group of people dining (on a Sat. night)--large family gatherings with kids, sophisticated 20-somethings in fine apparel, small groups, & my friend & I who sat at a table in the bar because we had a time schedule to honor. Service was swift, helpful, & fun. Great bartender took good care of us. Can't wait to have an occasion to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last meal at Venezia!SherryDined on 4/30/2013Venezia will be closing within a month or so, and we wanted to have a "last supper" there. We've always enjoyed the "Italian plaza" ambiance, complete with fountain and the appearance of laundry drying on lines overhead. They used to have occasional "opera Tuesdays" but those are also gone forever. The food does not have a "wow" quality, but the atmosphere is unique and enjoyable. We're going to miss it, even though we only went there on an average of maybe once a year. Guess that's why it's closing.....Special Features:
- I can't believe that afterDrmombbDined on 4/27/2013I can't believe that after at least 35 years in business, the food's better than ever! Our group of 6 loved everything we tried, especially the Caesar salad, malfatti w/ mushrooms (best veggie entree this omnivore's ever had,) and the puttanesca. Our waitress let me taste 3 different red wines by the glass, and all were yummy!Special Features:
- food delisc servings a bit smallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2013Food deliscious. We asked to exchange one kind of cheese for another on salad and were surprised to see an extra charge for it. Gluten free disillusion wonderful but helping rather small. Salmon very good.Special Features:
- Just ok ...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Food was comparable with Olive Garden or Applebee's and that is not ok for Berkeley , they will need to step up if they want to be in business here in the gourmet center of the north cal. Good ambiance friendly staff ...not impressive food .
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2013The service and food were both excellent! The waiter and waitress who served us were both very attentive to us and their food was one of the best! I had the malfatti and I am glad I picked it! I will definitely be coming back again!Special Features:
- Delicious!LunaraDined on 4/2/2013Delicious food at a reasonable price. Wonderful, attentive yet discreet service. Canneloni was particularly excellent, but the garlic bread and meat ball appetizers, linguini bolognese (tasty but we preferred more meat so ordered extra meatballs) tiramisu, and panna cotta were all really good with ample portions. So sad that they will be closing in a couple of months as I felt I'd found a new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Manga Venezia!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013So sad Venezia is closing in May! Always one of my favorites, it did not disappoint on my most recent visit. Took a couple of out of town guests who loved not only their meals (the spaghetti and the ravioli), but also the charming decor. I got the malfotti and nearly licked the plate! Thank heavens for those tasty garlic rolls!Special Features:
- I'm very sad that this restaurantLuv2eatoutVIPDined on 3/17/2013I'm very sad that this restaurant is closing soon! We really enjoyed our evening!Special Features:
- Wonderful VeneziaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/17/2013We have loved dining at Cafe Venezia for years. The food is good and the decorative hanging laundry is a hoot. It is especially entertaining on Valentine's Day as the laundry shifts to lingerie. The service is very good and the ambiance is wonderful. I heard a rumor that Venezia will be closing soon, so check it out while you can!Special Features:
- Very tasty food! The decorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013Very tasty food! The decor was excellent and whimsical and gave us the illusion that we were eating outside. Service was great and friendly.Special Features:
- One of the best restaurants around!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/9/2013I simply love this restaurant and only wish I had not taken so long to come here now that it is closing. We have been here twice in the past few weeks and hope to come back at least once or twice more before it closes. There will never be another restaurant with this special setting and wonderful food! The malfatti pasta with the porcini mushroom and vermouth cream sauce are truly to die for!Special Features:
- We had a living social dealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013We had a living social deal so we had to order off of a fixed menu. I wish we were able to see the whole menu and see what else they offer. it was worth it to make a reservation before hand because they were packed and had a wait. The Salads, Margarita Pizza, and Spaghetti were all great!! The house red wine was decent, and the espresso over vanilla gelato for dessert was amazing. The only reason I gave it 3 stars was because at 7pm on a Saturday the place was really busy and really loud. We had to yell across the table a couple times just to talk to each other. We will definitely be coming back just for the margarita pizza and the dessert.Special Features:
- I have been coming to VeneziaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2013I have been coming to Venezia for a long timr and have never been disappointed. Good food, good service, delightful ambience.Special Features:
- I remember Venezia havingJuanPoeVIPDined on 3/8/2013I remember Venezia having a more complete dinner menu--less filled out with pasta and pizza. The food was decent--a bit like the old-timey Italian fare that my parents prefer. I remember it being more special. The server was pleasant, though the dessert/drinks were pretty slow in arriving at our table. Not sure that I'll go back.
- host was rude, restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/7/2013host was rude, restaurant is different. customer service went down hill, i had a birthday and didn't acknowledge.
- So long Venezia!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/5/2013Venezia is closing soon we were sorry to hear. It had become a family favorite of our daughter we celebrated many special events within their dining room. We hurried to have a commemorative dinner for our daughter's upcoming High School graduation but sadly what is left of a once fine dining experience was lost as were likely many of the fine servers. The floors were stripped of carpet and tile, salad served on a chipped plate leaving us in a bare necessity of a room. Oh the laundry still hung from the ceiling and the movie reeled on the wall obscured by the nighties reminding me it was time. Time to say goodbye to an era. Barren now as a family restaurant in Berkeley whose daughter soon leaves for college will soon be.
- We love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2013We love this restaurant! Food consistently excellent and very authentically Italian.Special Features:
- A charming neighborhood spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/2/2013Tasty food, good staff, a bit noisy (and we were there early in the evening). We saw families with little kids who were charmed by the "make a wish and throw a coin in the" fountain in the center of the restaurant. We were Living Social coupon users and they were very welcoming - not snobby. In fact, needed to find out from very good waitress the full value of "coupon" meal so as to tip her appropriately. Sorry they are closing in April.Special Features:
- It's a super cute ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2013It's a super cute Italian place with dim lighting and fun decor. Try it out for sure!Special Features:
- great service - watier wasDiscerningVIPDined on 3/1/2013great service - watier was attentive and very pleasant !great food
- these guys are extraordinarilyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/20/2013these guys are extraordinarily responsive. We go there to hold a business meeting over dinner. They are completely responsive to that, giving us the most private part of the dining room, time to talk things over before serving us, and in general, making us feel like we own the place. food is good, place in nice, and you get very well cared for.
- I understand that VeneziaLindaG63Dined on 2/16/2013I understand that Venezia is closing. My husband and I have many good meals there. We will miss them.Special Features:
- We've been here several timesRickVIPDined on 2/15/2013We've been here several times over the years. We remember it as having really good food and great service. We wanted to try it again before it closed. This time, the menu selection wasn't great. The food itself was really bland. I had the chicken and the boss lady had the sirloin. No flavor. The wine by the glass was not very good either. The salad and tiramisu were ok. Service was meh. The good thing was we were early for our reservation and they sat us no problem. We also remember it being very quaint with the four different areas having different decor. That's gone, too. Should have left it as a good memory.
- So sorry it Is closing. WeNotreallyfussyDined on 2/15/2013So sorry it Is closing. We have been going there for over 30 years, and enjoyed most of its incarnations....had a great meal of some of our all time favorites the other night.....once again, sorry to lose this neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Our very diverse group enjoyedSusannaSVIPDined on 2/12/2013Our very diverse group enjoyed an excellent, low-key dinner here. The food was tasty and well-presented, the ambiance pleasant and quiet enough for conversation (the point of our gathering), and the waiter was extremely helpful, attentive and low-key. One of our party requested spinach with her pasta sauce instead of pasta (apparently this used to be a menu option) and it was done for her without any fuss at all, and with great graciousness.Special Features: