Venable Rotisserie Bistro
200 North Greensboro St.
Carrboro, NC 27510Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Venable Rotisserie Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.venablebistro.com/
- Phone: (919) 904-7160
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday-Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
Late Night: Thursday-Saturday: 9:30pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether you need sandwiches for your office staff or formal dinner for 300 Venable has it covered. Contact Owner Andrew Moore to discuss how Venable can meet your personal catering needs. 919-904-7160
- Cross Street: Weaver Street
- Public Transit: Venable is located on the CW, F and J bus lines. Convenient to all of Chapel Hill and Carrboro public transit.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Carr Mill Mall has over 200 private parking spaces making parking at Venable a non-issue. Relax before you get out of the car because you can park next to the restaurant for free.
A word from Venable Rotisserie Bistro
When you join us at Venable, you'll find a family-owned and operated restaurant offering local, seasonal food in an upscale yet comfortable setting. Our elevated comfort food strikes the perfect balance between the familiar and the fresh and new. Come on in, make yourself at home, and allow us to take care of you and your guests! Venable, the name of Carrboro from 1912-1913, takes inspiration from the rich culinary offerings of our area. Think freshly roasted chicken from our in-house rotisserie, a bistro salad topped with a fried local duck egg, or a burger made from ground chuck and short rib topped with Hatch green chilis. We're also proud to offer a carefully crafted wine and cocktail list. Join us for dinner, lunch, Saturday and Sunday brunch--our doors are open and we look forward to welcoming you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Venable Rotisserie Bistro - Best Restaurants in Carrboro ›
Venable Rotisserie Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (52)great for brunch (35)great for lunch (29)good for groups (27)kid-friendly (22)special occasion (18)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (11)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Yummy! lots of Vegan/GF offeringsonjaEatsVIPDined on 11/23/2014Love the menu in this accommodating restaurant for us GF and V folks that love good healthy creative food!! Great area too! Service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly EnjoyableAppmarineDined on 11/22/2014We met some friends at Venable's for dinner and had a very good time. The atmosphere was quaint and though the dining room filled up quickly, we could converse easily. Our waiter was a tad slow throughout the evening, but not irritatingly so. We got pawn fritters and korean bbq for appetizers and both were very good. One of our party got the tomato/gorgonzola/ham soup and loved it. He also got the fried chicken as a main entree which looked processed, but he liked it. The rest of us enjoyed our meals, though the only one really off the charts were the St Louis pork ribs which were tender and delicious. We did think it a little unusual they charged extra for bread baskets, one of which arrived without butter. In somewhat of a twist, though nothing was 5 star quality by itself, taken as a whole we really enjoyed the food and had such a good experience I feel comfortable giving 5 stars overall. Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchScazDined on 11/15/2014Went for a pre-football brunch and enjoyed both the food and the cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014We love Venable. It's great having a neighborhood restaurant that we can always count on. We have never been disappointed there. The vegetarian options are delicious too.Special Features:
- ExcellentEliving159Dined on 10/31/2014Food was excellent, specifically the steak and fried chicken. And the mashed potatoes were really smooth. Good beer selection, great service. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time did not disappointMikeKDined on 10/30/2014The chicken is fantastic as was the fish taco. Good vegetarian and vegan options. My kids loved the fried chicken and whipped potatoesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014A nice spot for dinner or lunch. A bit noisy. Good service.Special Features:
- Quiet Dinner with FamilyFarmerDined on 10/20/2014Nice Monday dinner. Overall, the experience was fine. Dessert was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice "find" in CarrboroKateDined on 10/18/2014Party of 3 had a very pleasant evening -- all our dishes were tasty, good proportions, and featured (insofar as possible) local producers (especially creamery). Will be good choice for people who want vegetarian/vegan or gluten-free. Service was outstanding! Wine also was terrific and not high-priced (a Sauvignon Blanc). Only tricky bit is finding the restaurant (by the address) and getting parking. Call the restaurant for help if needed -- they can explain best way to get there.Special Features:
- 1st time and a great time!Smartmove123VIPDined on 10/15/2014A group of my colleagues and I met there for dinner and had a great variety to pick from on the menu, draft beers, etc. Very enjoyable and will be back again!!Special Features:
- Disappointingmlh100WOWVIPDined on 10/13/2014My friends loved their fish tacos, but I ordered fish and found it quite dry and with not much flavor. The menu was not that interesting for me as there were not many choices. I was in the mood for fish and what I ordered was the only one on the menu other than the tacos. The limited menu was disappointing.
- Great Brunch SpotwdscheidDined on 10/11/2014Cool spot between Weaver Street and Southern Rail, Venable was an awesome brunch find. The ambiance wasn't too loud, but very casual; the service was great; the cocktails were on point; and the food was delicious. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014This is my favorite restaurant in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. The food is a delicious blend of hearty portions and healthy local fare. I go as often as I can and am never disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014service was great- food was very good -excellent staff, an enjoyable dining experience- dining early, i.e. 6pm makes for a very peaceful and delightful dinner. trout is a great entrée choice for fish lovers.Special Features:
- Welcoming RestaurantCER1Dined on 9/28/2014The food is abundant- enough to take half home if you order the fabulous fried chicken- and delicious. The atmosphere is one of good cheer and efficiency. We were there on a particularly noisy evening- a music festival just outside- but the evening felt lively rather than irritating because of the crowd within and the serving staff. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and we did too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantBrunchyDined on 9/21/2014Venable is always reliable for great food, service, & if you can get a window seat it's perfect.Special Features:
- Awesome!RxkncDined on 9/14/2014Hard to say which was better -- the food or the service! Both were incredible! The only disappointment was the fried chicken was a little bland. Everything else was superb. Will definitely be back -- again and again and again...Special Features:
- Tasty food, Excellent ServiceWorldTravelerDined on 9/13/2014Food was well cooked and inventive. Wines by the glass were decent but not amazing. We had an excellent server--she had a great personality and provided warm service. Only recommendation I would make is to include more dishes on the menu which are on the healthier side--more vegetables and greens would be welcome addition to this New Southern American menu. Most of the appetizers and entrees are very heavy--we had a tough time finding the healthier items on the menu--got the udon noodles, trout entree and a salad.Special Features:
- Loved VenablelovingfreedomVIPDined on 8/31/2014We've been wanting to try the cuisine since they opened but we can't often get up to Carrboro from Raleigh, but we were glad we did. Loved the menu - grass fed burgers, all natural chicken. We had the half chicken and the wonderful salad with beets and local cheese. We'll be back again soon to try the burgers!Special Features:
- Delicious!LoveDined on 8/28/2014The fried chicken dinner is the thing to order! Delicious with a lovely presentation of arugula salad on top and a covered crock of the best mashed potatoes! The rotisserie chicken sandwich has pesto and kalamata olives and was also divine! Nice atmosphere and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchNinalitaDined on 8/24/2014I took my two teenagers here for Sunday brunch and we had a great time. There was something for everyone and my two, somewhat picky eaters, were very satisfied as was I. The eggs benedict special the day I was there came with a salmon cake, which was absolutely delicious and the coffee was in a press, my favorite. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the foodKatnDogVIPDined on 8/24/2014The benedict special was amazing! Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- always a good choiceWashingtonVIPDined on 8/17/2014We live near Venable, and it's always a great choice. The menu is top notch and the service is great, but the atmosphere is relaxed. If you took the food at Acme and served it Elmo's Diner, you'd have Venable. The only downside is the pair of huge flat-screen TVs in the bar -- they take the place a little _too_ far in the casual direction. But overall, Venable is perfect for a relaxing Sunday night. It's fine dining in flip flops.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Our family frequently comes here for Brunch and Dinner (almost weekly!). Very good food, with different brunch specials every week.Special Features:
- Delicious food as always!arnettchicagoDined on 8/14/2014I've been here probably 6-7 times now, but this was the first time I sat outside. This is one of my favorite restaurants in the area. Food is always fabulous! While I have to say, I quite enjoyed sitting outside and listening to outdoor music from Weaver Market, & people watching, the ambiance inside is always nice as well. I will note though, we did sit right next to the water feature and it is a little "splashy", so I guess depending on if you want to get wet or not, you may not want to sit right in that spot! If that's my only complaint, I'd say they're doing something right!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningvdurringtonDined on 8/11/2014Took my wife there for her birthday dinner while visiting my son in Chapel Hill. Very pleasant. The food was excellent. Wonderful atmosphere. Great service. Wonderful evening.Special Features:
- glorified (in a good way) pub fareChowdocDined on 8/10/2014This is a decent place for a meal. Menu tries to be inventive and service tries to be attentive. That fries come heaped on most everything tells you all. This is really very good and dressed up bar food (a step above Milltown but a few steps below places like Acme).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebration44and45yearsDined on 8/6/2014We were there with friends from Minnesota and we were each celebrating over 40 years of marriage. We were seated in one of the window alcoves which was perfect. Food was excellent. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- DisappointednpzFLVIPDined on 8/3/2014Not sure if the kitchen was on vacation, but this was not the same as when we were here in May. Rotisserie chicken was rather tasteless. Service was very good, food was mediocre.
- ENglish BreakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Should have had English or Irish style sausages and marmalade for the toast.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dc divaDcDivaDined on 7/31/2014Menu was interesting but limited. Fish was good but nothing special about this small pan fried trout dressed with greens and diced potatoes on top. Tasty but for nearly $20 expected more. Room is quite noisy at 6-7 but cleared out by 9. Dessert sounded better than it was, coffee was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 99 reviews are from the Venable Rotisserie Bistro reviews archive.
- EXCELLENTFoodVIPDined on 7/27/2014Wonderful wonderful experience. Great service and absolutely awesome food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Outside - Get a Table No BoothWigglyWaggly1Dined on 7/25/2014Good 1st visit. Staff was accommodating and moved us outside to a table. The booths are very uncomfortable and short. Food needs more seasoning added, but other than that we had a great time.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsFoodyDined on 7/19/2014I have been here several times with family and friends and it never disappoints. The specials are always wonderful and the service is always good. The mashed potatoes are to die for and the coffee is superb. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Good food. Good valueMarkDined on 7/15/2014We've eaten at Venable several times and the overall experience has not disappointed. We look forward to going more frequently as well as taking friends there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014The mashed potatoes are out of this world. I love the way they serve the coffee and tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visitWashingtonVIPDined on 6/29/2014This place is great. The food is always wonderful, the amostphere is relaxed, and the service was really good this time.Special Features:
- EverythingrosieDined on 6/21/2014Great rotisserie chicken, as always. Service (seemed more a problem of the kitchen getting the food out) was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for Brunch than dinnerluvbrunchDined on 6/18/2014I enjoyed eating here for brunch much more than dinner. The dinner portions were way to big in my opinion.Special Features:
- Go for the food, not the serviceFromRaleighDined on 6/3/2014The menu was limited -- but several things looked good. I ordered the cobb salad with rotisserie chicken; my dining partner had the cod. Hot bread was delicious. But the root beer floats were the best! Unfortunately, the service was awkward and uneven. When we arrived, we were greeted (not professionally or friendly). Even though we had a reservation and the dining area was less than 1/2 full -- the greeter couldn't seat us. But since he didn't talk to us, we don't know why. When we were seated, we got the worst seat in the house (remember, it was only 1/2 full)--right by the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.