495 Geary St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.clifthotel.com/#/explore/?id=velvetroom
- Phone: 4159292300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 7:00am - 10:00am
Saturday and Sunday 7:00am - 11:00am
Tuesday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday and Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Weibull
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: DJ’s perform Wednesday – Saturday from 9:30pm – 1:30am
- Special Events: The Velvet Room is available to host your next event, large or small. Our Special Events Managers will be happy to review our unique spaces for your next private event or buyout. For more information please contact our Special Events at 415-929-2360
A word from Velvet Room
Designed to complement the legendary Redwood Room, Velvet Room is a unique venue for corporate meetings and select nightlife events, while offering breakfast and dinner daily. To support our vision of using high quality ingredients to drive the preparation and flavors of the menus at Clift, Executive Chef Thomas Weibull has partnered with local farmers and growers to produce seasonal menu items for Velvet Room that are locally grown in a sustainable and organic manner. The elegant and dramatic room, complemented by lush velvet curtains, mahogany and leather banquettes and hand blown Murano glass lamps hosts an eclectic roster of events created by Morgans Hotel Group’s dynamic nightlife and entertainment team.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Velvet Room reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (10)special occasion (8)fit for foodies (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (3)good for groups (3)notable wine list (1)neighborhood gem (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceBetterBookingDined on 8/16/2014We had two family, altogether 9 persons with 2 Groupons and enjoyed a dinner here. Food, service and ambiance were all great. Will definitely recommend this place. One thing that cost a star would be the lighting, it is too dark for my liking. Can't even take good food and group photos with the dark room there. Otherwise, I would give 5 stars.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Used to be a vibrant place full of energy. ..while the food was good the place was dead and most of the hand full of customers where touristSpecial Features:
- TiffaniDined on 7/31/2014Very cozy atmosphere. I came here to catch up with a friend. We were seated at a booth which was quite comfy and had drinks. Their drinks are wonderful. The I Dream in Lavendar cocktail was amazing and is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We had an excellent meal Friday night. We liked the both, the feel of the room. Our server Max suggested the special, a ravioli, which my wife loved. I had the Halibut which was also excellent. Split a dessert. Enjoyed it all. Excellent service from all.Special Features:
- A pleasant surpriseEverettDined on 7/1/2014Hotel dining rooms have disappointed us of late, but we were very pleased with our experience here. Our server was attentive, but not over so, and our meals came well prepared and quickly. My steak was particularly good, and the bearnaise was remarkable. The Redwood bar next door was also a treat.Special Features:
- TERRIBLE FOODblissVIPDined on 6/17/2014WE HAD A THREE COURSE DINNER THE OTHER NIGHT AT THE VELVET ROOM. I HAD A SHRIMP ENTREE, WHICH I SENT BACK BECAUSE IT DID NOT TASTE RIGHT AND BECAME ILL THAT EVENING, MY FRIEND HAD THE CHICKEN WHICH HE SAID HAS REHEATED. I DID PHONE THE MANAGER, BUT HE REALLY DID NOT SEEM TO CARE ABOUT MY DINING EXPERIENCE AT THE VELVET ROOM.
- Interesting mixKitkristaDined on 6/11/2014The service was great, from the first drink at the bar to getting our coats back, everyone was great. The food was ok, I'd mark it average with the exception of the over sweet inedible molten cake.Special Features:
- Not up to expectation.everoVIPDined on 6/5/2014We went to this very pricey restaurant with a Groupon a first try. The deal incuded a bottle of wine and a choice of 3 course dinners. The wine was ok, and we were told we could choose to take a $20 credit toward a bottle on their very expensive wine list if we preferred. The starter choice was a salad or diver scallops and we chose one of each and were both very satisfied. The second course was a choice of roast chicken or shrimp pasta. The chicken was ok but a little dry and the shrimp pasta has only 3 shrimp. My husband liked his dish. The dessert choices were fine and he enjoyed his chocolate choice and I am not a dessert eater. The dining experience was pleasant but at full price, I would have been disappointed.Special Features:
- Dinner at VelvetperovoDined on 5/10/2014Good food, great ambience, overpriced, desert is mediocreSpecial Features:
- Fun & a great deal...radiogrrlDined on 5/1/2014We enjoyed ourselves, the wine was excellent, the food was good, and we got an interesting table. While a bit too close to the door, our booth was throne-like, good for watching the rest of the room. We were amused by the preparations for the well intentioned but loud and chaotic fashion show (a bit disappointed by the lack of visual interestingness of the actual fashion, but an odd bonus anyway). There were many other vacant tables so we were not certain why we felt a little hurried thru the Prix fixe menu, a slight pause between courses to reflect and chat would have felt more like a luxury dining experience. However, for the Groupon price we paid, it was an excellent deal and we did have fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 336 reviews are from the Velvet Room reviews archive.
- We had breakfast there foodThierryVIPDined on 3/23/2014We had breakfast there food was pretty good but overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible food and the waiterAnnaVIPDined on 3/18/2014Terrible food and the waiter was talking to me about cheating spouses.
- Great Bar, ok dinningtomuchtravelVIPDined on 2/18/2014Bar and Dinning area are seperated. Both have a great look and feel. Bar was outstanding on all accounts. Service was excellent. Dinning, was ok. Food was very good, but service was slow and not attentive. Took away from the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining in the dark...OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 2/18/2014while the food and service were good, but not outstanding, the room was so dimly lit that it was impossible to read the menu. the waiter brought more candles to our table but that did not help very much.... we would not recommend this restaurant unless warning to bring supplemental lighting...
- What a beautiful room...RizzimplestulskinDined on 2/16/2014... and a meal to match. Very warm, helpful service. Had seared albacore tuna on squash with aioli and a bit of salad. Quite tasty. Wife had the scallops, which were outstanding. Cheesecake for dessert was beautifully presented, accompanied by a delicious coulis, featherweight bourbon ice cream. The cheesecake itself was probably the least impressive part, but still quite good. The drink prices were pretty outrageous, and the food high, but not bad for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Valentine experiencePdxfoodeeDined on 2/14/2014The appetizer was too small, poorly described and waiter did not know what it was either. Soup was very unappetizing (and I'm an adventuresome eater); scallop entree,was ok and dessert was average. The $217 cost for two included three glasses of wine -- and felt like a poor value for the caliber of dining experience I usually have in San Francisco. Luckily, my date is a gem and we will use this as a shared experience to avoid in our future.Special Features:
- groupon experiencekonajavaDined on 2/8/2014We used a groupon at this restaurant and were made to feel second class with a separate menu and a bottle of wine that is not sold in the bar or the restaurant. Service was not very professional. The food was ok, not spectacular.
- Bravo: appetizers, RIB EYE & many..YSCAVIPDined on 1/25/2014We celebrate the birthday with party of 8, we order all appetizers and everything is good until last drop. The chef is from plouf and we follow him since then. He does very good seafood & RIB EYE. Even the side order of vegetables are very tasty, so all children loves it.Special Features:
- Food selection is very limited.GretaDined on 1/24/2014Food selection is very limited. And, they don't like making modifications.
- disappointingJavaVIPDined on 1/17/2014Velvet Room is in a beautiful room, but every other aspect of the meal (service, food, ambiance) was mediocre. Shame, as there was potential.
- YummyJagaDined on 1/17/2014We went to Velvet Room for Dine About Town and found the food and environment to be extremely good. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningStevenDined on 1/16/2014Went here the other night for the frist time. Great ambiance, great food. Didn't like the drink and the server quickly traded it out for another and made sure we were happy. Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool space, but lackluster dininglalaleahDined on 1/12/2014It may have been because the big 49ers game was on, but the restaurant was empty when my troop of friends arrived for brunch. That said, the waiters must have been watching the game as well, because, even though there were only 4 or 5 tables worth of diners, we had to repeatedly wave down waiters as they passed by for water and coffee, after looking for them for several minutes. The food is decent, but standard fare for San Francisco brunch.
- impossible waiterjasCAVIPDined on 1/9/2014sad to share that the 1st courses okay, entrée and accompanying side dish quite poor. The wait person, an arrogant Frenchman, barely paid attention to us - definitely a disappointmentSpecial Features:
- Everything was mediocre -OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/30/2013Everything was mediocre - dessert tasted stale. Lots of purée !
- It was all good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/30/2013Service was good with good recommendations. Food was good and cooked very well.Special Features:
- Special DinnerEdwardDined on 12/25/2013An unusual Christmas Dinner out instead of with family was rewarded with an excellent feast at The Velvet Room. The prime rib was Prime indeed. Our party ordered all wellness levels from well-done to rare and in between and every order was tender and juicy. The only complaint was the horseradish was too bland. Great atmosphere and comfort (as long as the front door was closed to block the cold night draft).A San Francisco treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant diningCalisfriscoDined on 12/24/2013Christmas eve dinner was good. The ribeye steak was cooked well, but was not special. Wine list is good, and the prices are decent. The service is very good and not overbearing. The ambience is excellent and elegant. I'm glad I tried this restaurant, but it is not a place I would return to.Special Features:
- Wow! Bait and switchpickyeaterDined on 12/16/2013Can you believe a restaurant that charges $50 for valet parking without telling you the charges upfront? (and having to take time to find the valet both when arriving and departing?) Can you believe a restaurant that charges premium prices for undercooked food that is not to temperature in a majority of dishes? Can you believe that - in a restaurant that is empty clearly because everyone else knows not to go there - you cannot attract the attention of a server? That it takes 40 minutes to take your meal order? Never ever again!
- Overall it was "good". MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/11/2013Overall it was "good". Music was too loud and the food was on the colder side when we got it. Great bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Velvet room needs some sparkle!JohnDined on 12/8/2013Went to the Redwood Room at the Clift for a drink and thought about dinner. We did not realize that Asia de Cuba had closed and that it was now the Velvet room. After looking at our options, we decide to give it a go.It was not a big menu but ok. Service was a little slow but I think it was a light staff for a Sunday. Not as exciting or High energy as the former restaurant. BLT Salad was Blah,Bean soup good. Fried chicken moist,Ravioli tasty!Special Features:
- Need Better FoodTerriDined on 11/29/2013The food was bland. There was too much fat in the bean soup and no flavor. It's a shame that the food is just ok because the place was really nice. The food simply lacks flavor. No fresh herbs were used. In fact, the Chef did not even use salt or pepper in cooking which is fundamental for tasty food. I would not recommend or return to this restaurant based on food alone.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving was a disappointmentkendulaneyVIPDined on 11/28/2013The Velvet Room is an elegant restaurant venue paired with the Redwood Room, a redwood paneled classic Art Deco room. We thought that Thanksgiving dinner would be fine at a reputable restaurant like the Clift. But the meal was a disappointment. There were 4 of us and the two prime ribs were tough. The turkey came sliced almost like it had come from a deli. Stuffing and fixings were basic. Not sure where they are buying their meats these days but the couple next to us also complained. The waiter tried his best to make us happy but he wasnt attentive other times. The hotel really needs to improve the diining experience given they own such classic hotel
- Thanksgiving Dining - Velvet RoomThnaksgivingDined on 11/28/2013This is the third time I have chosen to enjoy Thanksgiving at the Velvet Room. However, this time the Service or Lack thereof, did not leave a great Taste to savor. The Menu was excellent, with numerous choices for the discerning pallet. The issue was the indifference of the Waiter. It seemed that his 'Guest' were a distraction-he was just going through the motions. He did not introduced himself, nor did he ask about 'ones' Thanksgiving. His only interest upon arriving at 'Our Table', was to take the order and vanish. The Servers delivered the food - the Waiter returned once, to take our 'Dessert' choice. Overall, the service was not good or bad - just flat - unfriendly. Will I return - yes. However, I will not sit in this Waiter's Section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Thanksgiving celebrationGregDined on 11/28/2013We live in Texas but needed to be in San Francisco for unfortunate reasons but Thanksgiving dinner at the Velvet Room helped us to enjoy a few hours of much needed down time.Special Features:
- Trendy!Care2dineDined on 11/23/2013The Velvet room is a dark horse - in that the name itself sounded like a typical steak house; but we were pleasantly surprised to walk in to a trendy & artfully designed establishment within a modern hotel - very upbeat decor in a romantically dark-lit room! Food was excellent and we chose a wonderful bottle of wine offered on their wine list - we thoroughly enjoyed everything! Definitely recommend & will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location near the theatershilaVIPDined on 11/23/2013Very much enjoyed the iceberg slice with yummy roquefort dressing and fine bacon. Also the scallops were fresh and stellar! We had a knowledgeable waiter who knew the purveyors and his restaurant's preparations and could offer up good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening delightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2013Lovely time; excellent food. Only complaint was the very high level of noise from the Bar scene in the next room.Special Features:
- Could be a contenderCAnaiveDined on 11/20/2013Six of us dined before the theatre. The website was checked beforehand to save time once there, but it did not accurately represent items offered. The scallops were amazing. The duck flavorful, but trying too hard to be steak and a little gamey. The lettuce in the BLT salad needed chilling. The bean soup was warm, not hot, with no richness in flavor. The wine list lacking and overpriced. The deserts uninspired. Truffle fries were a nice starter while enjoying intial cocktails. Do note that a party of six gets an automatic 20% gratutity added which in our case was over $100. I'm not sure the service merited that. This is a viable choice for the area but don't come expecting anything at full potential. The Clift needs something more special.
- Great location for Theater patronstheresaVIPDined on 11/16/2013Meal was nothing special especially for the price. Tomatoes were not ripe in tomato salad and steak was over cooked for our medium rare request. We did not even eat the truffle fries they were fat and flavorless. The service was charismatic but ineffective. Personable but cocktails came after the salad. I will go there again.Special Features: