Vellum - Ann Arbor
209 S Main St
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vellum - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vellumrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7349294929x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon.-Sat. 5:30-10:30, Sun. 5:30-9:30
Happy Hour: Daily 4-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Sartor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Dunbar 7349294929x
- Special Events: Happy Hour 4-7pm, daily
A word from Vellum - Ann Arbor
An American restaurant in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor, we strive to provide a sense of craftsmanship and harmony for our patrons that will emanate throughout the entire dining experience. We serve contemporary and seasonal American fare in a setting that combines striking Italianate architecture with timeless furnishings. In addition, the bar & lounge make for a perfect spot for drinks and late-night desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Vellum - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Vellum - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)special occasion (27)good for groups (18)notable wine list (14)romantic (14)neighborhood gem (13)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014M husband and I absolutely loved Vellum. We had the tasting menu with the wine tasting as well. Every course was innovative and delicious. Definitely worth the drive from Detroit ! We will be going back soon.Special Features:
- we liked the food and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2014nice atmosphere, great decor, elegant and cozy at the same timeSpecial Features:
- Food was good, but sparsejvankirkVIPDined on 10/13/2014Overall, the quality of the food was excellent, but for the price, the portions were very small!I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusterboyDined on 10/7/2014We went there for dinner for the first time. WOW, everything was excellent and the server was friendly and knowledgeable. The variety of food is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!SteveDined on 9/27/2014We made a reservation for a group of 8 after a home game. Table was ready on time. Hostess was friendly, and the bar fun. Our server was knowledgable about the menu, ingredients, and the wine. Food was tasty. We had a great time.Special Features:
- deterioration of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014the food used to be so much better, thought th menu is the same the quality of the food has deterioratedSpecial Features:
- A top peer on the A2 sceneA2fanVIPDined on 9/19/2014In an increasingly outstanding and competitive restaurant scene in Ann Arbor, Vellum continues to keep apace. This was another return visit to Vellum and the food and service remain excellent. Tuna lovers should NOT pass on the starter and the risotto was top notch. I love the flexibility Vellum provides like corkage fee if you want to bring your own wine for special occasions (as we did) and splitting entrees.Special Features:
- Bad service, poor executionA2foodloverDined on 9/19/2014We had high hopes for Vellum, but having been three times now and experienced the reality we won't be back. Service was, at best, indifferent. We were consistently hurried along, with our main course being served well before we had even finished our salads. We had to send back a water glass and a bread plate for being dirty - then had to remind the server to bring replacements. Worst of all was the food: the kale salad was nothing more than poorly chopped kale leaves drenched in chili oil. Over spiced and bland at the same time - not a winning combination! With so many good places to eat in Ann Arbor there is no reason to settle for over priced and mediocre.
- Delicious mealCindyDFDined on 9/19/2014Great night. Excellent food. Great selection!!! Delicious cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- come back, peterTrinaDined on 9/14/2014after several months of fudging -- "Peter is in Greece! Peter is traveling the world for even lovelier foods!" -- Vellum finally admits that he's left. Sadly, it shows. The food is a bit worse, the fabulous deserts are gone altogether, and the place is emptying out.... it's a shame, I loved Vellum.
- VellumNeighDined on 9/7/2014I was really excited to dine at Vellum. I heard great things and decided to go for a special occasion. Unfortunately things were not what we expected. The service was incredibly slow. The waitress didn't take our entree order until after we got our appetizers, and it took a very long time for the entrees to come. There was a hair on the appetizer and they gave cold bread on butcher paper after the appetizers were eaten as well. The poor service kind of hung over the whole meal. The food was cooked well with generous portions, but nothing special or unique. We were ready to run out before dessert, feeling pretty bummed out about the whole experience. There was nothing that made us excited about our experience there. Live and learn!
- Exceptional!WalkerGirlDined on 9/6/2014From presentation to the satisfaction your taste buds thank you for! Vellum is a one of a kind gem. The food is exceptional and thoughtfully prepared for a very enjoyable dining experience. When you can take a bite of food and your eyes pop open and your jaw about drops and you get this "Wow" affect, you know you are being blessed with an uncomparable treat!Special Features:
- Not what it wasa2bcdDined on 9/6/2014Originally this was the destination place for that special occasion. Extra-ordinary and creative menu and outstanding classy service. Menu is now much more informal and pedestrian. Very nice place, but not what I would recommend to people looking for a place to celebrate .Special Features:
- hijackDined on 8/31/2014We sat in the front, taking advantage of the happy hour. Beautiful windows with streeet scene. Great happy hour wines. Food was outstanding, especially the beets, brussel sprouts and spicy sausage pasta. Blue berry pie was nice though we found the crust a bit dense, not flaky enough. Service was extremely attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible, Never AgainJohnZDined on 8/29/2014I was hoping for a great experience after reading a lot of reviews. Unfortunately, the overall experience was horrible, and I will not be going back. Notes from my evening: 1. It took the waitress nearly 20 minutes to serve a glass of wine. When the pour came back, it was a ridiculously small amount. 2. We ordered a cheese plate, a slim selection of only two cheeses. 3. After waiting nearly 30 mintues for my food, it came out cold. The chef reheated it for me , but likely in the microwave, since it very quickly lost its heat again. 4. The original bill was apparently not correct. The waitress "corrected" the amount for me, adding another $15 to my bill without first telling me. She ran my card and did not bring back a new itemized receipt.
- keithandrebeccaDined on 8/27/2014Incredibly mediocre food. Pork in the pork confit tacos was so SALTY.The crab cakes so forgettable.The bartender had the most idiotic answer for an ingredient in a cocktail but then they have an interesting cocktail menu trying to keep up with the current interest in mixologist-type cocktails. The answer to "what is fenugreek glom me syrup like" was "sweet." It's like she didn't even KNOW what it's like. And the cocktail was overwhelming lemony-I couldn't finish it. And they were out of three of five beers on tap. The two white wines I tried were awful. Sauvignon Blanc is usually a safe wine to order. It was AWFUL. It must be bottle that would go for $8, and they are selling it for 11/glass. They have no local or any kind of food claims.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Continue to go back and glad to continue to be a patron!
- GreatMJCASRomaDined on 8/26/2014The service was great. I requested the chefs table or a table upstairs looking out to State Street. Since we went on a Tuesday, the upstairs was closed, and there was no chefs table. The FOH manager greeted us (as well as a hostess) at the front door and addressed the issue for us immediately. Service was pretty good and the food was excellent. I have no issue with the pricing at all, it was great. The Sea Bass was the best thing on the menu that I had, and we had a bunch. The carrot cake for dessert was very good as well. We drank and ate pretty heavily and walked out with a tab under $300.Special Features:
- Ann Arbor AmbiencekerncampDined on 8/25/2014Lovely exposed brick restaurant with good continental menu options and outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vellum has changedsujuVIPDined on 8/24/2014The last two times we ate at Vellum the changes were noticeable and not an improvement. It appears that Vellum has become more of a bar with food than the wonderful restaurant that we enjoyed before. We always took our out-of-town guests to Vellum, but not anymore. It has become just another local restaurant, nothing special.Special Features:
- Vellum - Ann ArborFoodieDined on 8/22/2014I had the risotto and my husband had the pork sandwich with triple cooked fries...the couple sitting next to us recommended them both. We weren't disappointed. DeliciousSpecial Features:
- Excellent mealAmi22Dined on 8/20/2014We had an excellent meal, the menu has a nice variety of small plates as well as entrees. Our cocktails were absolutely delicious with wonderful presentation. Our service was also outstanding with very nice suggestions from our waiter as well as being very attentive. Highly recommend Vellum.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealHelenVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a fabulous meal. This was our second visit. I love the Brussels Sprouts. They are delicious!!!!Special Features:
- Never better ahi tunaHelenVIPDined on 8/2/2014The ahi tuna was like butter. It was amazing. I loved the kale salad and the Brussels sprouts. The silverware thing is a little wierd along with the bread on the paper. But I would definitely go back agsin!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre service, mediocre foodOakheartDined on 8/2/2014I generally avoid eating on Main since they tend to be overpriced. Vellum came with a good rec, so I made a reservation on OpenTable. When we got there, it was slammed and guess what... they lost our reservation. Although I had the confirmation email, hostess told us it would be a 1 Hr wait. After making a fuss the hostess begrudgingly sat us. Ok, these things happen, but your first response should be to seat a customer who had a reservation. Our waiter was polite, but not very helpful. Clearly knew nothing about wine and just offered that we could taste whatever glass we wanted before getting a pour. The small plates we ordered were quite good, but the entrees were meh. And the bill was 10% more than far better restaurants in the area.
- Best burger in Ann ArborLondonycVIPDined on 7/24/2014Do not miss the bacon jam!!!!! Brussels sprouts are divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service&ambiance, okay valuegoinoutDined on 7/24/2014The ambiance of the restaurant is great. We had a group of seven and Vellum accommodated this well, including very attentive service. Overall everyone seemed pleased with the drinks but disappointed in the food. The prices were steep for what you get and it wasn't anything spectacular. The fried brussel sprouts were tasty.Special Features:
- Great place to sit and chat.new2A2Dined on 7/22/2014Many places in A2 are too noisy to have a reasonable conversation. Not Vellum. Wonderful atmosphere and not too loud. Food was very good and service was quite attentive (maybe slightly too attentive but it's hard to complain about great service). One person in our party of 3 thought the prices were high but the other two thought they were as expected for downtown A2. It would be nice to see food deals included in the happy hour.Special Features:
- Good food but...RobertoDined on 7/12/2014The food was quite tasty and well portioned. The service was a bit odd…apparently they don't give out silverware until the dishes arrive. But if not everyone ordered salad or appetizer and we wanted to share, there were no forks, etc. Bread and butter delivered but again no knives, and a sparse portion of butter. The wine was poured for me (male) to taste, and it was quite good but the server poured me a glass and set the bottle down without pouring any for the remaining guests (two women).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously prepared foodA2DinerDined on 7/12/2014Positives: The food. Mac 'n cheese with good balance of cheeses and just enough to be delicious without overwhelming. Best salmon I have tried in this town--crusty on the outside, perfectly (but not overly!) done on the inside. Interesting twist on the Risotto without deadly bland seasoning that sometimes characterizes it. The dessert I'd skip in the future--strawberry shortcake--just okay which was a disappointment given the quality of the other menu items. Negatives: The presentation. Examples: the bread comes in a tiny paper that looks cheap, the Mac 'n Cheese came in a ramekin with no plate under it so if something toppled, it went directly onto the tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried it!de45nDined on 7/10/2014We had never heard of this restaurant until I looked on Open Table. All of the reviews looked good and so we booked a table. The décor was charming and staff was friendly. They had a good size wine and beer list, which was nice. We tried a few of the small plates and were not disappointed. I will definitely dine here again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vellum - excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014First time Vellum diner - the restaurant was excellent in every way. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, service and ambiance. The food was fantastic and the short rib to die for. There was a nice selection of wines and great beer selection. The menu was varied and we both liked the small plate selection which would be great for late night dining and drinks. Being on Main Street adds to the energetic atmosphere and we both are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meals, but lackluster dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014I have dined here 3 times now - first meal was blah, 2nd meal was AMAZING, 3rd meal was really good. But for all 3, the desserts were so-so, to downright inedible.Special Features:
- restaurant weekyup13Dined on 6/27/2014enjoyed sitting outdoors for a restaurant week dinner for two. the waiter appeared flustered and busy but did his best to visit our table several times. he did neglect to mention that dessert was not include in the prix fixe and was an extra charge (and we missed the fine print on the menu) so it was a bit of a surprise when the bill came. He comped one of the two desserts, which was convenient because the brownie i received was so dry and crumbly that i would not have paid for it anyway. kale salad and brussels sprouts were delicious. pork was too salty. overall a positive experience, and i imagine it would be even better outside of restaurant week.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/27/2014Way too much chile in the Kale salad. I think it is a bit too hot if a bite of Kale salad causes throat to close up. When this was mentioned to the waitress, the response was that the description of the salad included the word chile. The pork tenderloin was great; however, many of the other sides and main courses were average.
- The following 228 reviews are from the Vellum - Ann Arbor reviews archive.
- Well executed menuSassafrasDined on 6/26/2014During restaurant week: Pea-mint soup absolutely incredible! Fried beets still managed to seem healthy...highly reco for an appetizer to share. Mushroom tart delish, but the crust was a bit crackerlike. Black garlic gnocchi were the best gnocchi I've ever had!!! I hope that's always on the menu. Caesar salad was good but not great.....we're always searching for a great caesar and this one was about 3/4 there, just needs some addit tweaking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not up to parmimia2VIPDined on 6/25/2014We were a group of 6 and all of our dinners were superb. The service did not match the food. When I arrived, I was told by the hostess that I was the first of our group of 6 and I waited for others to arrive. With 4, we asked to be seated and another hostess checked and could not find our reservation (although the first had found it easily) and they hurried to set up a table for us. We waited some time for the rest of our party, only to discover with a call that they were waiting for us at a table upstairs, and had been there since before I arrived. Our server was lovely but could not make wine recommendations, didn't bring bread, served some in a course while others waited, was not in sight for long periods of time.Special Features:
- MushroomsOldManDined on 6/24/2014The regular dinner menu is by far better than the restaurant week menu. A little heavy on the Kale but the mushrooms on all of our dishes were amazing. We tried a simple Riesling that wowed us all. Georg Albrect Schneier 2012 Niersteiner HippingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highs and lowsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2014Dined here during Restaurant Week. The kale salad and the gnocchi were very good. The bar dessert might have been good if the brownie hadn't been so dry. Service was spotty - we had a long wait before our waitress came to get our order, but after that the food came out at a reasonable pace. It felt like they may have been understaffed. The most annoying thing about the whole experience was the noise level - my dinner companion and I had to shout at each other in order to have a conversation. Most unpleasant.
- Food and wine was greatYukkoDined on 6/23/2014I went there for dinner with my friends. Food was very impressive great. If you loves European food difinetely I will recomend you. There is one thing disappointed me was service. She seems like not polite and knowledge is not enough to recommend wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.