Vellum - Ann Arbor
209 S Main St
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vellum - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vellumrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (734) 929-4929
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon.-Sat. 5:30-10:30, Sun. 5:30-9:30
Happy Hour: Daily 4-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Sartor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Dunbar 7349294929x
- Special Events: Happy Hour 4-7pm, daily
A word from Vellum - Ann Arbor
An American restaurant in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor, we strive to provide a sense of craftsmanship and harmony for our patrons that will emanate throughout the entire dining experience. We serve contemporary and seasonal American fare in a setting that combines striking Italianate architecture with timeless furnishings. In addition, the bar & lounge make for a perfect spot for drinks and late-night desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Vellum - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Vellum - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)special occasion (24)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (16)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (8)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great wine list, but veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2014Great wine list, but very disappointed with food. Ordered a $35 steak you expect to have it cooked the way you requested. Didn't want to send back because it took an hour for our meal to arrive. Our wait staff was very attentive though. I figured a feature in Wine Enthusiast magazine I would have received better food. Sadly disappointed.
- Evening with friends - Great optionFriendswithFoodDined on 4/5/2014Vellum had a classy, unique atmosphere. My friends & I enjoyed the food and service. The tables were a tad close to one another - not the end of the world, just a little cozy. Would certainly visit Vellum again in the future.Special Features:
- New favorite retauranthoneymooner4everDined on 4/5/2014Fantastic service and food. Amazing dinner cooked to perfection. Great about accommodating variations on the menu. The staff is knowledgeable and attentive without being smothering. My water glass was never less than half full. They handled a large family party and then an intimate dinner for two for me both with ease. I give this restaurant my highest recommendation!Special Features:
- One of the best in Ann Arbor!MGoBlueVIPDined on 4/4/2014Went for date night on a Friday night and was seated upstairs. The service was great and the food was exceptional. It is all very high quality. I loved the pasta and my date loved his steak. We also started with a salad (small was big enough to split!) and the tartare appetizer. Great drinks, great atmosphere - we will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience.MarciaDined on 3/29/2014The food here is excellent. If you go, do ask to be seated in Ryan's section. The overall pace of service can be slow, but the food is worth it and Ryan will be attentive, welcoming, knowledgeable, and just plain fun. We always leave happy and content.Special Features:
- Innovative dining in Ann ArborSeniorVIPDined on 3/28/2014Vellum has something for everyone at your table - from marvelous burgers to intricate gourmet offerings. Combined with an excellent and knowledgeable wait staff the restaurant is a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best scallop dishOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/17/2014I ordered the taglietelle with scallops and it is my favorite preparation of scallops to date. The pasta was tender and cooked perfectly. The scallops melted in my mouth and the sauce was very light, but flavorful. Everyone else at my table also enjoyed their food as well.Special Features:
- DeliciousSugarHighDined on 3/15/2014This wasn't my first time at Vellum and it definitely won't be my last! Their pork belly skewers are phenomenal and their sauce compliments it nicely. All of their fresh pastas are delicious as well! And that cherry dessert... You better get it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationLynnDined on 3/15/2014The server was excellent and attentive. We were there to celebrate a birthday. My daughter was given a free drink (very nice) to celebrate. The appetizers were very good, entrees and desert were presented very nicely and the flavor was great. The food to the table was a bit slow and the noise level was louder than i would have liked but all in all it was a great experience and we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keeps getting betterTrinaDined on 3/14/2014Vellum's coming into its own. The food keeps improving, service is fast, menu changes often. Waitstaff is a bit too overeager -- difficult to have a private conversation if someone's at your table every three minutes to check how you're doing. I wish restaurants would teach an eye contact model..... hover nearby, if your guests want something, they'll let you know.Special Features:
- The best meal I've had in Ann ArborOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2014Seriously mind-blowingly good. The cheese plate (awesome camembert), the wine, the fried beets ... even the polenta served under the diver scallops was divine. We will be back and it won't be long before we are!Special Features:
- Fun night outmimiDined on 3/8/2014We met friends there on Saturday evening after making a reservation the day before. The food was yummy and there were lots of budget-friendly wine options on the menu (menu is by the glass, but you can also request a bottle). Our server was friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicehj71Dined on 3/8/2014Steak salad was great. Their caramel dessert is awesome. I loved the design of silverware and dishes. I liked the interior and ambience on the second floor. It is one of the best restaurants on Main Street of Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, sophisticated placeKeepingUpDined on 3/7/2014This was our second trip to Vellum, each time taking someone more used to more sophisticated cities (San Francisco, Boston, New York) who felt Ann Arbor just didn't match up. Vellum is relatively new, and is working hard to be as sophisticated as the best of them. The menu is small but varies according to what's fresh, and presentation and seasoning are excellent. The service could not have been better; frequent but non-intrusive inquiries about the food, water replenished often, table cleared again unobtrusively. We enjoyed fish this time, sea bass and divers scallops, nicely prepared and decent portions. This will remain a good choice for entertaining out-of-towners and for special occasions for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/7/2014Vellum is a good restaurant in Ann Arbor, but we didn't find anything outstanding or spectacular. The booths are awkward behind the bar, where we sat, and the food was solid without being anything to rave about. The burger tries a little too hard and is not as good as the burgers at either Raven next door or Felix across the street--and Vellum's ambiance is more pretentious than its counter-parts without really delivering on that vibe.Special Features:
- Food was very good. Servicedelta2016Dined on 3/3/2014Food was very good. Service was even better. Our waitress, Cam, was friendly, energetic, and did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedRegnemm1Dined on 2/22/2014Underwhelmed – Food very average. Other restaurants in the area more impressive.
- Fabulous meal and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2014I loved the feel and the decor- simple but really comfortably elegant-lots of wood and zen like atmosphere- great wine list, nice bar, not too many tables which allowed the service to be remarkably good. We are quite particular and the dishes were excellent. We each had the baked chicken which was unusually prepared and extremely tender- one of us doesn't usually eat chicken and ate every bite. Seasonal vegetables were also out of this world. The foie gras was quite light and had a wonderful pomegranate drizzle. The desserts are amazing- one was a delectable combination of white and dark chocolates. The ambiance was relaxed but the attention to detail was representative of fine dining. Next time in Ann Arbor we will absolutely go back.Special Features:
- Inconsistent serviceVRinA2VIPDined on 2/16/2014Aside for excellent food, Vellum, reliably delivers in the inconsistence of service. It must be hard to find good waitstaff in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- celebrate!rickVIPDined on 2/15/2014A very interesting menu; most palettes with find something that will please them. Some moderately priced wines not available elsewhere. A welcome addition to the Ann Arbor fine dining scene. We will probably return before the next occasion for a celebration rolls around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Ann Arbor Surprise!A2DinerDined on 2/15/2014We'd read the reviews and had a sample at the Michigan Theatre at a members gathering but neither did Vellum justice. From the ease of reservation on short notice to the wait staff to the food with a few tweaks for my non-cheese loving husband..this is an Ann Arbor gem. We did a Tasting with an out of town friend who was duly impressed. Seafood and meat were offered and tried at our table. We preferred the seafood offerings but enjoyed the meat as well. On a non-surprisingly snowy night, the soup appetizer offered was a little slice of heaven-smooth, creamy and flavorful. Our servers knowledge of the menu and wine pairings was incredible. We'll return again ourselves and with company we want to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was incredibly shortMegcrstn92Dined on 2/14/2014Server was incredibly short with us, menu selections were overpriced, and below expectations... Unsure that we will return
- Valentines at VellumaafoodiesDined on 2/14/2014We were caught by the email describing the prix fixe menu being offered for Valentines. Although there were both 3 and 5 course versions, we went with the 3 because the 2 extra courses (soup and poached egg) had no other options and (very surprisingly) there were only 2 choices for the appetizer and the main compared to many more for the shorter menu. Our food was wonderful and the portions good sized. We've only eaten there once before so we couldn't tell if they'd added extra seating for the holiday, but the tables were very close together. Our only disappointment was that they had run out (!) of the Merlot that they offered by the glass. Apparently no one was willing to chose another comparable Merlot from the wine list to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Management AttitudetkrkDined on 2/14/2014Management made my husband and I move from a corner table to another table set in the middle of 2 very-adjacent tables, even though both tables are identical in terms of size. The man gave the flimsy excuse that the corner table was reserved for 1.5 hours while the table we moved to was for 2 hours. In the end, we walked out of there within 1.25 hours. The food was good, but not so great to make up for this attitude problem.
- Best of Ann ArbormamaynarDined on 2/9/2014Vellum is the best in Ann Arbor. A relaxed & classy decor foreshadows the evening to come. Vellum never rushes; one needs to savor everything offered. The kale salad was fantastic. The lamb shank and new york strip were both cooked to perfection and accompanied by delectable sides. The dessert (a surprise, it was my birthday) was brought out later once we finished our wine, which I saw as great attention to detail and timing. I would not have been able to appreciate the delicious dessert just moments after my meal. I am shocked that anyone could rate this restaurant less than 5 stars. The only possibility is if the diner is more interested in rushed, low quality food sans any sort of experience, in which case I would suggest TGI Fridays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; room for improvementkxsdDined on 2/7/2014This was our second trip to Vellum. We had previously been for Restaurant Week in 2013, which was a hectic and negative experience (I never consider Restaurant Weeks to be a way to gauge a restaurant's quality). The beer and wine menu was large and reasonably priced. Our server was very attentive and good, and the courses came out timed well and were all quite delicious. One complaint that carries over between visits is the arrangement of the seating in relation to the kitchen. I've been seated in tables down the middle aisle on both occasions, and both times servers/employees rushing in and out of the kitchen have bumped into me 10-15 times during each visit. It's annoying, but not a meal ruiner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gooda2momDined on 1/25/2014We had a great night. The staff were friendly and the food was great. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New restaurant with growing painsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014We'd eaten at Vellum soon after they opened and had a wonderful experience (delicious food, great service, great atmosphere). This time, we were surprised (and not pleasantly) by the chaotic atmosphere and sketchy service. I guess the Vellum folks should be happy because the place was very busy (and very loud upstairs where we ate). Our server was clearly overwhelmed and not happy. The food itself is tasty, but we won't be back until we get word that they've figured out how to handle their popularity.Special Features:
- Management needs to step up.LocalDined on 1/25/2014Most of the food was good but the tagliatele with sausage had pulled pork in it . If they were out of sausage they should have told me. The ribs were so overcooked and dry we sent them back. The kitchen should never let these things happen. I wonder if Mgt. has empowered them to make these decisions. We sat upstairs so I understand that could slow things down but it took too long for anyone to come to our table after we were seated and also to get our drinks, I got the impression the server was not well trained. For such a nice place the staff seemed like amateurs. I worked in a couple Ann Arbor restaurants when I was a student so I'm pretty understanding of how tough the job can be, but this was disappointing.
- Work in progressAAFanDined on 1/18/2014We chose Vellum based on enthusiastic Yelp reviews. It had exceptional ambiance, service, and food presentation, and an excellent wine list. As well, the chef had extended the prix fixe Restaurant Menu into the weekend, providing good value. The presentation of the food, however, led us to anticipate equally lovely flavor and seasoning, and this was not the case; rather, the meal was fairly ordinary, and while I appreciate any restaurant's effort to push back against the "super-sizing" of portions, neither did I anticipate that the side dishes and dessert would be "amuse-boȗche" size rather than full courses. I would recommend the restaurant as promising and pleasant, with the expectation that it will mature into a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was extremely slow.TankDined on 1/18/2014Service was extremely slow. 7:30 reservation and did not leave till 10:30. This was not by choice. First it took 15 minutes after being seated to get our drink orders then another 15 to get them. Finally we placed our orders at it took at least 15mins between each of 3 courses. Nice place, nice people but very slow service. Overall drinks and food were good with the exception that everyone's mash potatoes were cold and veggies undercooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vellum reliably deliversVRinA2VIPDined on 1/17/2014Having dined at Vellum several times, with every subsequent visit I keep asking myself: Why am I not dining here more often? Service improved since initial visits, and flavor parings in the dishes remain excellent. Will definitely be back, more often than thus far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing wine list, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/17/2014To help us select a wine, our server opened a bottle of xarel-lo he thought we'd enjoy. He was completely right. Everything was delicious, but it was the wine and the service that made Vellum stand out. They were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe and fantastic serviceCHRISTYVIPDined on 1/15/2014We had a fabulous dinner there during Restaurant Week. The food was tasty (small portion size was a good thing for us). We especially enjoyed the cocktails (clever, interesting, well-made) and our conversations with the bartender while waiting for our table. We also had fantastic service from Ryan at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VellumDuckDined on 1/15/2014New-ish restaurant on Ann Arbor's Main street. Excellent food- not weird but really tasty. The entire group will make it back soon. Loved the old exposed brick interior, lighting, etc. A very nice addition to the AA dining scene.Special Features:
- InterestingLondonycVIPDined on 1/14/2014Not terrible, not amazing. I'd give it another try, restaurant week might not be the best way to judge?!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysA2JetSetDined on 1/13/2014We always have a great time at Vellum and this was no exception. Fabulous restaurant week menu, outstanding wine list, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another up-scale AA restaurantCaliDinersDined on 1/12/2014The food was good, the service was a let-down for the price. The host especially was just unfriendly (with a reservation and a relatively empty restaurant, it still took us 20 minutes to be seated). It took the bartender 15 minutes to make my cocktail.
- No service No foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014I would not recommend Vellum to anyone. Something clearly went wrong on the night that I visited, but in short in 1.5 hours, we had only received 1 drink and 1 appetizer. Our dinners (salads and side of vegetables) never arrived. In fact, our server never asked us for a second drink to tried to explain what was taking so long. After 1.5 hours, I asked the hostess to speak with the manager..she said I would have to get in line, apparently others were experiencing this. The manager never came, I think he was dodging the customers waiting for him. Eventually found my server, paid for the drinks and left. I can't really rate the food except for the appetizer, since our dinner never came, but the corn tart wasn't something to make me come back.
- Total DisappointmentOBoyTDined on 1/11/2014Don't be fooled by the cozy couches and friendly host. Save yourself the time & energy...Eat elsewhere! Ann Arbor has a number of restaurants with better food and better service. Featured drinks - Ended up being pretty gross. Food experienced (similar to tasting menu) - Bland, boring and in the case of lobster & shrimp over cooked. Pace of the evening - Inexcusably slow...45 minutes before we had drinks, 2 hours to receive entrees. Service - Poor, she was nice enough but was not informed about the menu and generally avoided her section as all tables were very unhappy with the pace of the evening. Management - Made excuses but never owned up to the poor dining experience. We will not return and will not recommend.