Vellum - Ann Arbor
209 S Main St
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Vellum - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vellumrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7349294929x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon.-Sat. 5:30-10:30, Sun. 5:30-9:30
Happy Hour: Daily 4-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Sartor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Dunbar 7349294929x
- Special Events: Happy Hour 4-7pm, daily
A word from Vellum - Ann Arbor
An American restaurant in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor, we strive to provide a sense of craftsmanship and harmony for our patrons that will emanate throughout the entire dining experience. We serve contemporary and seasonal American fare in a setting that combines striking Italianate architecture with timeless furnishings. In addition, the bar & lounge make for a perfect spot for drinks and late-night desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Vellum - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Vellum - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)special occasion (37)notable wine list (24)romantic (20)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (13)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Inconsistent serviceVRinA2VIPDined on 2/16/2014Aside for excellent food, Vellum, reliably delivers in the inconsistence of service. It must be hard to find good waitstaff in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- celebrate!rickVIPDined on 2/15/2014A very interesting menu; most palettes with find something that will please them. Some moderately priced wines not available elsewhere. A welcome addition to the Ann Arbor fine dining scene. We will probably return before the next occasion for a celebration rolls around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Ann Arbor Surprise!A2DinerDined on 2/15/2014We'd read the reviews and had a sample at the Michigan Theatre at a members gathering but neither did Vellum justice. From the ease of reservation on short notice to the wait staff to the food with a few tweaks for my non-cheese loving husband..this is an Ann Arbor gem. We did a Tasting with an out of town friend who was duly impressed. Seafood and meat were offered and tried at our table. We preferred the seafood offerings but enjoyed the meat as well. On a non-surprisingly snowy night, the soup appetizer offered was a little slice of heaven-smooth, creamy and flavorful. Our servers knowledge of the menu and wine pairings was incredible. We'll return again ourselves and with company we want to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was incredibly shortMegcrstn92Dined on 2/14/2014Server was incredibly short with us, menu selections were overpriced, and below expectations... Unsure that we will return
- Valentines at VellumaafoodiesDined on 2/14/2014We were caught by the email describing the prix fixe menu being offered for Valentines. Although there were both 3 and 5 course versions, we went with the 3 because the 2 extra courses (soup and poached egg) had no other options and (very surprisingly) there were only 2 choices for the appetizer and the main compared to many more for the shorter menu. Our food was wonderful and the portions good sized. We've only eaten there once before so we couldn't tell if they'd added extra seating for the holiday, but the tables were very close together. Our only disappointment was that they had run out (!) of the Merlot that they offered by the glass. Apparently no one was willing to chose another comparable Merlot from the wine list to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Management AttitudetkrkDined on 2/14/2014Management made my husband and I move from a corner table to another table set in the middle of 2 very-adjacent tables, even though both tables are identical in terms of size. The man gave the flimsy excuse that the corner table was reserved for 1.5 hours while the table we moved to was for 2 hours. In the end, we walked out of there within 1.25 hours. The food was good, but not so great to make up for this attitude problem.
- Best of Ann ArbormamaynarDined on 2/9/2014Vellum is the best in Ann Arbor. A relaxed & classy decor foreshadows the evening to come. Vellum never rushes; one needs to savor everything offered. The kale salad was fantastic. The lamb shank and new york strip were both cooked to perfection and accompanied by delectable sides. The dessert (a surprise, it was my birthday) was brought out later once we finished our wine, which I saw as great attention to detail and timing. I would not have been able to appreciate the delicious dessert just moments after my meal. I am shocked that anyone could rate this restaurant less than 5 stars. The only possibility is if the diner is more interested in rushed, low quality food sans any sort of experience, in which case I would suggest TGI Fridays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; room for improvementkxsdDined on 2/7/2014This was our second trip to Vellum. We had previously been for Restaurant Week in 2013, which was a hectic and negative experience (I never consider Restaurant Weeks to be a way to gauge a restaurant's quality). The beer and wine menu was large and reasonably priced. Our server was very attentive and good, and the courses came out timed well and were all quite delicious. One complaint that carries over between visits is the arrangement of the seating in relation to the kitchen. I've been seated in tables down the middle aisle on both occasions, and both times servers/employees rushing in and out of the kitchen have bumped into me 10-15 times during each visit. It's annoying, but not a meal ruiner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gooda2momDined on 1/25/2014We had a great night. The staff were friendly and the food was great. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New restaurant with growing painsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014We'd eaten at Vellum soon after they opened and had a wonderful experience (delicious food, great service, great atmosphere). This time, we were surprised (and not pleasantly) by the chaotic atmosphere and sketchy service. I guess the Vellum folks should be happy because the place was very busy (and very loud upstairs where we ate). Our server was clearly overwhelmed and not happy. The food itself is tasty, but we won't be back until we get word that they've figured out how to handle their popularity.Special Features:
- Management needs to step up.LocalDined on 1/25/2014Most of the food was good but the tagliatele with sausage had pulled pork in it . If they were out of sausage they should have told me. The ribs were so overcooked and dry we sent them back. The kitchen should never let these things happen. I wonder if Mgt. has empowered them to make these decisions. We sat upstairs so I understand that could slow things down but it took too long for anyone to come to our table after we were seated and also to get our drinks, I got the impression the server was not well trained. For such a nice place the staff seemed like amateurs. I worked in a couple Ann Arbor restaurants when I was a student so I'm pretty understanding of how tough the job can be, but this was disappointing.
- Work in progressAAFanDined on 1/18/2014We chose Vellum based on enthusiastic Yelp reviews. It had exceptional ambiance, service, and food presentation, and an excellent wine list. As well, the chef had extended the prix fixe Restaurant Menu into the weekend, providing good value. The presentation of the food, however, led us to anticipate equally lovely flavor and seasoning, and this was not the case; rather, the meal was fairly ordinary, and while I appreciate any restaurant's effort to push back against the "super-sizing" of portions, neither did I anticipate that the side dishes and dessert would be "amuse-boȗche" size rather than full courses. I would recommend the restaurant as promising and pleasant, with the expectation that it will mature into a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was extremely slow.TankDined on 1/18/2014Service was extremely slow. 7:30 reservation and did not leave till 10:30. This was not by choice. First it took 15 minutes after being seated to get our drink orders then another 15 to get them. Finally we placed our orders at it took at least 15mins between each of 3 courses. Nice place, nice people but very slow service. Overall drinks and food were good with the exception that everyone's mash potatoes were cold and veggies undercooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vellum reliably deliversVRinA2VIPDined on 1/17/2014Having dined at Vellum several times, with every subsequent visit I keep asking myself: Why am I not dining here more often? Service improved since initial visits, and flavor parings in the dishes remain excellent. Will definitely be back, more often than thus far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing wine list, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/17/2014To help us select a wine, our server opened a bottle of xarel-lo he thought we'd enjoy. He was completely right. Everything was delicious, but it was the wine and the service that made Vellum stand out. They were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe and fantastic serviceCHRISTYVIPDined on 1/15/2014We had a fabulous dinner there during Restaurant Week. The food was tasty (small portion size was a good thing for us). We especially enjoyed the cocktails (clever, interesting, well-made) and our conversations with the bartender while waiting for our table. We also had fantastic service from Ryan at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VellumDuckDined on 1/15/2014New-ish restaurant on Ann Arbor's Main street. Excellent food- not weird but really tasty. The entire group will make it back soon. Loved the old exposed brick interior, lighting, etc. A very nice addition to the AA dining scene.Special Features:
- InterestingLondonycVIPDined on 1/14/2014Not terrible, not amazing. I'd give it another try, restaurant week might not be the best way to judge?!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysA2JetSetDined on 1/13/2014We always have a great time at Vellum and this was no exception. Fabulous restaurant week menu, outstanding wine list, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another up-scale AA restaurantCaliDinersDined on 1/12/2014The food was good, the service was a let-down for the price. The host especially was just unfriendly (with a reservation and a relatively empty restaurant, it still took us 20 minutes to be seated). It took the bartender 15 minutes to make my cocktail.
- No service No foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014I would not recommend Vellum to anyone. Something clearly went wrong on the night that I visited, but in short in 1.5 hours, we had only received 1 drink and 1 appetizer. Our dinners (salads and side of vegetables) never arrived. In fact, our server never asked us for a second drink to tried to explain what was taking so long. After 1.5 hours, I asked the hostess to speak with the manager..she said I would have to get in line, apparently others were experiencing this. The manager never came, I think he was dodging the customers waiting for him. Eventually found my server, paid for the drinks and left. I can't really rate the food except for the appetizer, since our dinner never came, but the corn tart wasn't something to make me come back.
- Total DisappointmentOBoyTDined on 1/11/2014Don't be fooled by the cozy couches and friendly host. Save yourself the time & energy...Eat elsewhere! Ann Arbor has a number of restaurants with better food and better service. Featured drinks - Ended up being pretty gross. Food experienced (similar to tasting menu) - Bland, boring and in the case of lobster & shrimp over cooked. Pace of the evening - Inexcusably slow...45 minutes before we had drinks, 2 hours to receive entrees. Service - Poor, she was nice enough but was not informed about the menu and generally avoided her section as all tables were very unhappy with the pace of the evening. Management - Made excuses but never owned up to the poor dining experience. We will not return and will not recommend.
- Great findJRAMVIPDined on 1/8/2014Their menu is excellent. The pastas are handmade inhouse and were cooked perfectly. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningSuzie57Dined on 1/8/2014Our half circle booth set the tone for good conversation, Great food, knowledgable Staff for a special occasion !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Winter ClassicJohnf1961VIPDined on 1/1/2014We came upon Vellum while in Ann Arbor recently to attend the NHL Winter Classic game between Detroit and Toronto. Vellum is an excellent restaurant and was just the ticket after spending close to four hours in mid-teens, snow filled weather at The Big House. Comtemporary American fare. fresh ingredients, well executed. Very attentive, but not intrusive service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New year's eveJtrooVIPDined on 12/31/2013Had dinner on New Year's Eve and it was great. We sat in a corner booth that was great for people watching. It was busy to say the least and it took a while to get our table and our drinks but our server was very attentive. We had the 5-course tasting menu. The dessert was only ok but everything else was great. It was a bit cold with a lot of Toronto Maple Leaf fans coming in to the bar but they were entertaining. We left before midnight for another place but it looked like it would've been fun to stay.
- Loved the service and foodAAArtDined on 12/30/2013We had a small party of 5 and the service and food were outstanding. The lovely manager was sooo accommodating and even served up a round of complimentary after dinner drinks. I recommend.Special Features:
- Delicious Anniversary CelebrationAnnHVIPDined on 12/29/2013My husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary at Vellum. We enjoyed it all, from the complimentary welcome glass of bubbly to the finale of chocolate caramel cake. I did not eat at Vellum for the first many months of their tenure in A2. Reports of miniscule portions and patrons leaving hungry made me cautious. I suspect they have honed their menu during the first year of operation and I am so glad that they did. If you went to Vellum early on and did not find it to your liking, I recommend you give it another chance. It is among the few restaurants I will consider for a special occasion meal in Ann Arbor. However, I will not choose it only for special occasions. They have a great burger and other more casual fare.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, okay serviceBrookeDined on 12/26/2013We chose this restaurant based on its ranking among the top 10 of 2013. The food and atmosphere were excellent. Portions were just right, and everything was delicious. The service was inconsistent, though. Drinks took 20 minutes to arrive and the check arrived 20 minutes after we finished our meal and started looking for the server. In between, there was a lot of hovering. With consistent service, this would have been a 5 star experience, as the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodLGoetzVIPDined on 12/20/2013Food and service are excellent. Environment is energized and uplifting. This is my favorite restaurant in ann arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small gem in Ann ArborMarciaDined on 12/14/2013Menu selections are both rooted in tradition and very creative. Sauces are masterfully blended flavors. Tagliatelle with scallops and citrus sauce was perfectly prepared. The crab cakes were feather light and the strip steak was bursting with flavor. Don't expect to get out of here quickly as the kitchen can be a bit slow, but the end product was worth it. Perhaps best of all was our waiter, Ryan. He was very attentive, his descriptions of the menu were tantalizing, and he made the whole evening a lot of fun for our wide-ranging party of four. Ryan, you rock!Special Features:
- reservation oversight?JenMDined on 12/13/2013We were apologetically seated upstairs, inexperienced waiter, server who took our wine order knew nothing about wine, one person's beer arrived well after the wine, and it was the wrong beer, food fine but nothing special. They were not on top of their game. We did have a better experience in the summer just dining at the bar, had great service and food then. Good luck, Vellum! We hope you will work it out.Special Features:
- Great dinner experienceBrendaBDined on 12/13/2013After stopping in for a drink at the bar a while back, we finally decided to return for dinner. The menu had many different things that we wanted to order. I ordered the steak salad and my husband ordered the French Dip. These were some of the more caual offerings, but were very delicious. A french fry will never taste the same after having the triple cooked fries. YUM! The meal left us wanting to return to try their housemade pastas, mouth watering appetizers, and let's not forget the dessert menu. We didn't have room for dessert this trip, but we will be back.Special Features:
- Va Va Vellum!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2013We loved our first Vellum experience! The restaurant has a relaxed sophisticated vibe which we enjoyed. Our table server was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive - just great. The food was delicious. Presentation outstanding. We also appreciated the attention to local sourcing of ingredients (when possible). The hostess was a bit unwelcoming and cold for my taste but she was quickly forgotten once we were seated. Get some host training and this is a welcome addition to the Ann Arbor higher end restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedGeorgie222Dined on 11/23/2013We have never been to Ann Arbour and we took a lengthy time to decide upon where to dine during our romantic weekend away. With several fine choices through assorted internet sites my wife selected Vellum and we weren't disappointed. Prices are reasonable and the food was delicious with flavours that were amazing. The wine selection is huge with a wide array of pricing. We would highly recommend that you try the beef tartare, fresh large oysters. My wife had the short rib ravioli and I tried the ribeye. Both were tremendous. We would have loved to try the desserts but had little room left after all the marvelous food. 5 Star for certain.Special Features:
- Welcome to Ann ArborCookieDined on 11/23/2013The dinner selections range from a rather pedestrian hamburger to more exotic Mediterranean Sea Bass done Aqua Pazza style. What's to like, plenty - the lamb chops and loin with grilled Brussels sprouts was generous as well as delicious. The Sea Bass was excellent (but comes with almost no accompanying veggies - one thin slice of braised fennel and a carrot shave were disappointing), The pasta dish and the hamburger plate were fine, but there a zillion other places in Ann Arbor that do it as well and some even better. The wine list is superb with plenty of good choices in all price ranges (though a wider selection of Italian wines would be nice). The tables downstairs near the bar are noisy and the espresso bitter - have coffee elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and presentationDvlawyerDined on 11/22/2013We had a great meal with attentive service. We didn't realize they had a second floor which required climbing a substantial amount of stairs. No elevator. One of our group could not climb stairs. They were very responsive and arranged for a table on the main floor. Tried the fried Brussels sprouts, they were great. The only issue we had was when they brought the check, there were two items we had not ordered totaling $28 on our check. When I pointed it out, they removed the charges. Glad I carefully went over the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at VellumNancyDined on 11/20/2013Two friends and I went for a midweek happy hour. We had a wonderful seat in the front window and everything was great. I will go back soon with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceAuntieMameDined on 11/16/2013The service was a little overdone. This sounds like it would be a good thing, but anything overdone is typically not good.Special Features:
- Mixed food, not so great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2013We had an 8:00 reservation, & got there 15 min early and were told it would be about 5 min so we went to the bar. Ordered 2 drinks, which took over 20 minutes to get! Were finally seated at 8:20 or so. Service was spotty. I had to ask two times to order a glass of wine, and my 2nd glass arrived halfway through the entree, so it was comped. We tried to order apps/salads 1st and were rudely informed we had to order entrees at the same time. Entrees came at 9:30. so it was slow. Duck confit salad and corn lardon tartlets were delicious! My braised short rib entree was also great, but hubbies pork belly was actually gross. I tasted it at the end; not sure why he didn't send it back, and we both love a good pork belly. 3.5 stars for food.