419 Cortland Ave
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vegapizzasf.com/
- Phone: 4152856000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Manna
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Pizza Bambino Tuesdays - 1/2 price kids pizzas for the whole family when you come in with your kids Divine Wine Wednesdays - 1/2 price bottles of wine with dinner
A word from VEGA
Husband/wife duo, Giuseppe Manna from Rome, Italy and Vega Freeman-Brady from Berkeley, CA have created a warm, cozy restaurant where friends and neighbors enjoy homemade gnocchi, pastas, bread and thin crust pizzas all made with local, fresh, seasonal ingredients. Everything from the bread to the deserts are made in house from family recipes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
VEGA reviews from OpenTable diners
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2013Best Italian around! Be sure and get the calamari. Generous portions and consistently good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations are meaninglessOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2013Don't expect them to honor your reservation. Waited for 45 minutes after arriving on time and saw another party of the same size arrive and be seated before us.
- great food, great wine, great servibayareanDined on 7/6/2013everything was perfect and cozy. the dessert was too big, which isn't a problem as long as you get 1 item per 3 patrons. definitely going back.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experienceGimmeFoodVIPDined on 6/29/2013Had to wait a little bit for our reservation, but it's always worth the wait. Friendly and knowledgeable service. Excellent food in generous portions. I'm so lucky to have Vega in my 'hood!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/20/2013The food is always excellent as is the service. They never rush you to finish. Everyone is friendly. I have some dietary needs and the kitchen is always happy to accommodate me. If you buy your bottle of wine from their sister restaurant Vinorosso there is no corkage charge.Special Features:
- Consistent, Delicious, and FriendlyMrNunezSFDined on 6/18/2013I've been here three times in the course of about 5 months and each time the service and food quality has been consistent. The space is cozy, the wine list is decent, the gnocchi is just fantastic, and the staff are to date have made our visit a comfortable one. Their corkage fee is rather high ($20) but is waived if you purchase a bottle on the same visit (which is fantastic!).Special Features:
- Amazing in All Regards!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/17/2013This is the best restaurant in all of SF. for Italian Cuisine HANDS DOWN!!!!! Just look at the reviews they are a sure sign that the quality and price of the food and service are beyond superb. I always end up coming back to Vega because it is worth every penny and minute of my time and pocket...... LOVE VEGA 4 EVA!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationSylviaDined on 6/15/2013This is a wonderful resturant! We made reservations and was seated very quickly. The server told about the specials and we looked through the menu and knew what we wanted right away! The artichoke appetizer and carpaccio was incredible! Our gnocchi was cooked to perfection! I would recommend this resturant to everyone! We really enjoyed it! We'll always go back!Special Features:
- VegafrankieDined on 6/6/2013We found this place by accident, we almost didn't go in because we thought it was just another pizza joint. it turns out to be a lovely little Italian restaurant. I had the halibut special, and it was perfectly cooked; grilled, and served on a bed of potatoes and cauliflower, with a tangy sauce made with olives and tomatoes. Don't miss their garlicky broccoli rabe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience.wildnicoDined on 6/2/2013Always a great experience. Already been there 5 or 6 times, and the food is excellent, simple but very good quality product. It's a romantic setting, but still not fancy in the wrong way. I'm living in Bernak Heights and it's definitly a great restaurant for every kind of occasion. I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantSpoonsfDined on 6/1/2013This was our first time dining at Vega. After reading the glowing reviews I was really looking forward to our meal. Overall the food was good, but not great. I had the aspargi appetizer, which was good. The pencil thin asparagus was slightly overcooked. It would have been better with thicker asparagus spears. My hubby had the carciofini ripieni which was delicious. For my entree I had the Brasato -beef short ribs slow cooked in red wine, served w/ creamy polenta It's was wonderful, rich in flavor. My hubby had the Raviolini special- small raviolis. Again this was good not great. The tomato sauce had some depth of flavors. The raviolis were slightly bland. Service was friendly but slow. We waited almost 25 mins for our entrees.Special Features:
- Fresh and tasty Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2013I've lived in Bernal Heights for several years and somehow never managed to visit Vega until this past weekend. The staff is very friendly and welcoming and the food looks, smells and tastes very fresh and flavorful. It reminded me of food I ate when traveling in Italy--made with fresh ingredients, rich and satisfying. The space is relatively small, and we arrived at the restaurant with friends with a 6 month baby in tow, but they were very gracious and accommodating in finding a table that would work for us. I'll definitely be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/22/2013We had a double date planned with our friends who love Italian food. It was a no brainier to pick Vega. We had the funghi pizza with shiitake mushrooms and calamari with white beans to start. Yum! Main course, we split two entrees: gnocchi with sausage and the crab capellini. Everything was amazing. Flavorful, right temperature and consistency. It was Wednesday night which is 1/2 off bottles of wine....any wine on the list! The owners also run the wine bar down the street, so you can imagine there is a nice wine list from which to choose. Needless to say, we had a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional findNapadinerDined on 5/18/2013cozy Italian eatery. Friendly atmosphere with tasty and hearty food. Tucked away in the wonderful Bernal Heights neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great food, slow servicesaborDined on 5/17/2013There was not a single miss in salads, soup, pizza, pastas, and gnocchi for the five of us. Outstanding food, marred only by the slowness of the kitchen. The waitress was excellent, but we waited an hour between our first and second course. By the time we'd finished our first course, the restaurant had filled completely (and had become quite noisy), so the kitchen just may be unable to keep up when they have a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once Again, Fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/15/2013This is one of my favorite restaurants. How can you not love the half-price wine on Wednesday? The wine list is great, the food is amazing and its all in Bernal Heights.Special Features:
- Went here on the recommendationJenTVIPDined on 5/12/2013Went here on the recommendation of Check Please, Bay Area and were pleasantly surprised to find a warm, friendly restaurant with delicious Italian comfort food. We tried the special rack of lamb and 6 different pasta dishes. All but one pasta (the puttanesca) were outstanding. Homemade pasta, fresh sauces. The food tasted like it was made with care. I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Italian Food in an SF villageOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/11/2013Authentic Italian food from.....Italians...in a Bernal Heights village setting--could be New England looking up and down the street. I have traveled to Italy many times and this is their food--influenced by Roma and Sicilia, and with an outstanding and value-driven wine list from all over Italy. Much of the food is farm-to-table and they make some of the pasta (papardelle et al), and the menu prices are great. So much better than you'll find over on Columbus and North Beach (except for Bao Necci).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treasure this littleEliseMVIPDined on 5/9/2013What a treasure this little restaurant is! We were driving in from Mendocino and searching for a wonderful Italian restaurant close to the San Francisco airport, we found Vega on OpenTable and booked dinner not really knowing what to expect. Their homemade pasta was outstanding! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceJoeyCDined on 5/4/2013Had a great time celebrating a friend's birthday at Vega. The waiter was very knowledgeable and recommended a good wine to go with out meals. We shared a pizza for appetizer. I had the fish of the day, halibut, and it was delicious. We were next to the window so it was nice watching the various Bernal Heights residents stroll by.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodYummyDined on 5/4/2013It was a great place to dine and inexpensive. I would def go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food at very reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2013Delicious food at very reasonable prices. They have done a good job providing sound insulation so it could have been much noisier since it is a fairly small room crowded with tables. The staff were all helpful and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian FoodFoodie57Dined on 5/1/2013Vega was my first dining experience upon my return from Umbria last year. It felt like I was still there. The Wild Boar Pasta and the Crab Pasta - delish! The Mussels are to die for and the ice cream sandwiches finished off the meal perfectly. It's so authentic that they even brought out some crazy delicious digestif on the house and THAT'S Italian!!! The wine list is incredible and affordable, too! We'll return as often as possible.Special Features:
- This time we went on the earlierOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/28/2013This time we went on the earlier side and there were quite a few families (with small children) dining. Usually we're there later (after 7:30) and I can't recall ever seeing kids that late. It was nice to discover how versatile this restaurant can be! As always, the food and service were excellent. Still one of our favorite Bernal restaurants!Special Features:
- Meh...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Not the best experience - despite having a reservation we ended up waiting for almost half an hour. As such this isn't the end of the world, but the grumpy and dismissive attitude of the front of house/owner almost made us leave. In the end we decided to look past it and try the food, assuming that it must be the reason why the place was so busy. Well, it was okay. But that was about it, no intricate combination of flavors, just kind of homey food building on cream and cheese. The pizza, while it had a nice crust, was awfully soggy and the octopus and beans were on the sour side - something we enjoy, but then I'd rather get a ceviche. We left, not exactly disappointed, but sure that we won't be back given the abundance of alternatives.
- A pleasant first visit. Will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Saw this reviewed on Check Please on KQED. It was as good as they said, even better. Great soup, salads, gnocchi, pizza and halibut fish. Suggest reservation ,it gets busy.Special Features:
- Aberration from usual excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/24/2013after many excellent experiences at vega, our most recent visit was very disappointing. we were kept waiting for an hour past our reservation time with no updates or explanations. only one of our appetizers was served. when we pointed this out, the waiter apologized and said that because our entrees were ready he would cancel the appetizer order. that seemed reasonable in the circumstances. instead, the missed appetizer was prepared and served (after another wait) and when our entrees were served, they had suffered from the delay. this experience may have been due to the restaurant's recent favorable appearance on check please which overwhelmed them. we will try again and hope for a better experience.
- Wonderful Sexy SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/19/2013Vega has not failed me once!! I have been here many times in the past and the food and service is amazing!! This place is always busy and fun!Special Features:
- Loved the food but both peopleinhousemarkVIPDined on 4/16/2013Loved the food but both people in our party found it very rich. Smaller portions would have suited us better. We will return knowing better what to order.Special Features:
- Food excellent. Server excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/16/2013Food excellent. Server excellent. Kitchen slow (40 min between appetizer & entree - too long).
- wanted it to be goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/15/2013So disapointed. Dated decor, felt like we were bothering the waitress and the homemade pasta was ok but very dry and the portion could have fed 5, wasted food. My husband liked the truffle oil pasta dish as well as the calamari.
- Always a pleasure to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/13/2013Always a pleasure to dine here and to chat with Vega, Mandy, Leo, Rooberto and Carolina. Food great, as usual.Special Features:
- This is a great find - I haveanteVIPDined on 4/9/2013This is a great find - I have used this restaurant sevreal times in the last few months -Food is excellent however, they do not honor any special requests for seating - you take what is open. AFter requesting one of their more favorable tables for a 5:30pm reservation more than two weeks in advance neither table was available. They do not read the open table requests.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprise!ChezfongfongVIPDined on 4/7/2013Vega was a pleasant surprise. Our waiter was very friendly who gave us great recommendations. I loved the "green" minestrone soup which made me feel very healthy when I ate it all! The homemade bread was crunchy on the outside and very moist and chewy inside. I hate dry bread. We ordered the salad which was a tiny bit overdressed, but flavorful. The Broccoli Rabe sausage pizza was very good. Took it home and gave it to my daughter who enjoyed it very much. Next time we will try the homemade gnocchi and the papparadelle. Just need to bring more people next time. Thanks to Bay Area Check Please, otherwise I would never have known about this little gem!Special Features:
- It is rare that I write suchLeoinSFVIPDined on 4/6/2013It is rare that I write such glowing reviews, but Vega and her husband deserves high praise for the fresh, rustic Italian fare that comes out of their kitchen. We did have reservations, and the restaurant was packed, but we were offered a tasting of the wines by the glass to make up for the fact we had to wait an extra half hour to be seated past our reservation time -- and the wait was WORTH it. Other restauranteurs take note: keep your guests happy while they wait! The gnocchi transported us to Italy, and the pappardelle made your mouth water just looking at it. The grilled calamari appetizer was a healthy portion, but the beans could've been cooked a little more. Overall, an outstanding evening for these two foodies!Special Features:
- Superb food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Superb food and service. This was our 2nd visit. Every bit as memorable as our first time here.Special Features:
- Italy Meets BernalSandiVIPDined on 4/6/2013I spent time in Italy in October & was longing for great Italian food when I got back. Vega is it. The best pastas, pizza & wine!Special Features:
- Took way to long to get ourOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/5/2013Took way to long to get our food! We were one of the first tables filled at 6 on a Friday evening! After 45 minutes from ordering our entree finally arrived, and pizza crust was slightly burnt on the edges and surprisingly wasn't even that hot! My guess it was sitting too long before it made it to the Table!!! Overall it was just an ok experience!!Special Features:
- Love the food! Wonderful BernalJenstarVIPDined on 4/4/2013Love the food! Wonderful Bernal Heights gem - always excellent food, great vibe and good service.Special Features:
- 1/2 price of full bottle ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/3/20131/2 price of full bottle of wine on Wednesdays!! What a great deal! They even have California wines. Lots of Italian place have only Italian wines. which I don't get it. I'd love to support local winery.(and taste much better.) Servers are always nice, but food is really salty. I wish they put less salt for all the dishes. But I still like this place for Wednesdays!Special Features: