1221 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
VegetarianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vedgerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2153207500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm and Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Landau
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We are happy to accommodate private events for larger parties. Our private dining room can seat up to 16 and the entire restaurant can be made available. Please direct all inquiries to Joe either by phone (215-320-7500) or email (email@example.com).
- Private Party Contact: Joe Pachella 2153207500x
A word from Vedge
A modern vegetable restaurant by Chefs Richard Landau & Kate Jacoby, formerly of Horizons: Located in the historic Tiger Building on Locust Street, Vedge offers classical, elegant dining experiences as well as a sophisticated bar. The menu takes a fresh approach to cooking vegetables, presented in a series of mid-size plates. Think: Smoked Eggplant Braciole, Salt-Roasted Golden Beets, Wood-Grilled Maitake Mushrooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Vedge reviews from OpenTable diners
409 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (348)special occasion (266)neighborhood gem (175)romantic (158)hot spot (116)good for groups (75)notable wine list (72)vibrant bar scene (59)great for lunch (15)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Best flavors in town!georgiaDined on 9/19/2014Even though 5:15p.m. was the only available Fri. Night booking, the enthusiastic dining crowd made it seem like prime time. (Book far ahead.). The appetizers, mains, and sides (labeled "dirt") we're unusual with delicious sauces. (Shredded, then grilled Brussels sprouts, etc.) Presentation and food were wonderful. Staff friendly and knowledgeable. Great place, may try the cookbook.Special Features:
- Wow! Just wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/18/2014Best restaurant I've been to, hands down. The food was extraordinary and you wouldn't even notice that it is vegetarian and vegan. Each plate is a wonderful surprise exploding with flavor, I recommend going there with a group of friends and and basically ordering everything on the menu. It's fantastic price for the quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014Once again a memorable dinner. Always something new on the menu and always very inventive. Foodies should love it here... Who would know it was vegan?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014service was perfect. food was somehow beyond perfect...Special Features:
- For carnivores ...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014I'm a self-confessed foodie, and very much a carnivore ... and I love to go to great vegetarian restaurants. This is one of them. The flavor & texture combos of great vegetarian food are more than worth exploringSpecial Features:
- Great Happy Hourivy1Dined on 9/17/2014The happy hour is great - good food and good prices. In the main restaurant, the service is impeccable, and the ambiance is very pleasant. The food is interesting, but the portions are REALLY small, so you end up with a hefty tab if you're hungry - not a surprise. I was, however, a bit surprised about the food. It's definitely unique and creative, and I'm sure the ingredients are top quality, but all the dishes we tried had so many ingredients combined that it was not really possible to tell what anything was. My experience with elegant dining has been more of the type where you have relatively simple dishes in which you can see and taste the excellence of the individual ingredients. So, it depends on your preferred type of elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Vegan DiningBCEA1234Dined on 9/16/2014My first visit to Vedge was wonderful. The creativity of the menu was outstanding the colors and flavors were beautiful and delicious. The staff was courteous, knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always terrific146restaurantssampledVIPDined on 9/15/2014Vedge is always spectacular and interesting. five of us ordered everything on the menu and all enjoyed every dish. I am not a vegetarian (I don't even like vegetarians) but I always love Vedge (my daughter is a vegan so I go whenever she is in town).
- fav new placeveganwannabeDined on 9/15/2014my husband jokingly ordered a pork chop and that set the mood for a fun evening. He and I both enjoyed the food as we hoped based on raves from everyone who told us about it. We ordered the 3 favorites from the "dirt list" - the potatoes, mushrooms and brussles sprouts ( I don't remember the formal names) all were good but my favorite was the mushroom dish from the "hot plate list". Also enjoyed the beat dish and I'm not a beat fan. wasn't crazy about the hearts of palm dish but my husband enjoyed it. Loved the deserts. We ordered the cheesecake and the chocolate peanutbutter desert. that was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingkmc2014VIPDined on 9/13/2014If I could give it more than five stars for every caterogy I would. Food and service were exceptional. A perfect evening from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014If I had a chef who cooked like this at home. I would be a vegan my entire life. Absolutley awesome. The dining room is really loud. Makes it hard to have a conversation.
- A meatless wondermediatrekkerVIPDined on 9/13/2014Second time we went to Vedge. Outstanding! Not inexpensive by a long shot, but worth it. None of us are vegetarians, but we all thoroughly enjoyed the mean. Usually have interesting cocktails (my wife had a pomegranate sangria), a nice wine list by the glass and bottle, and a very good selection of beers both bottled and draft. But the food was the star. The beet dish was fantastic as well as a vegetarian deconstructed take on a reuben. There were no misses in the appetizers, main courses or side dishes. The first time we went, we had an order of the fingerling potatoes, which did not wow us. This time the custard for desert lacked flavor, but their take on cheese cake (made vegan style) with poppy ice cream, is not to be missed.Special Features:
- delicious and great balancePaulSmulpaapDined on 9/12/2014you start being amazed when you look at the menu: many choices and not a moment the thought: I hope that it is good meat / fish replacement. When the meal is served it looks beautiful, then it tastes wonderful, and the dishes are not too large, so that even including dessert you don't feel close to explosion. Service was most pleasant. Only (small) negatives: as the restaurant is vegan you don't get regular milk in your coffee and where we sat it was a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nancy0501VIPDined on 9/12/2014We dined at Vedge on Friday night, and then went to NYC on Saturday and Sunday. I can honestly say that Vedge far outshone Butter and The National.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu is very creative, and everything was well-executed. The cocktails are a big hit. The happy hour at the bar is also an exceptional deal.Special Features:
- FantasticGoodfoodDined on 9/11/2014As always, everything was delicious. There's a wide variety of flavors and styles. The service was great. Our waitress was intensive, friendly, and happy to offer suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014Where to begin singing the praises of Vedge? The food was wonderful; our dishes were tasty, beautifully plated, healthy. We had a "veggie skeptic" in our group who began the evening by quizzing our waiter about the gluten free beers on the menu. It was immediately clear that our waiter was knowledgeable and eager to answer any and all questions. Then, the food began to arrive and our skeptic guest was completely won over. We are already making plans to return the next time we are in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWRockridegDined on 9/10/2014Loved everything we tried. going to get the cookbook!Special Features:
- Better and Betterfall75Dined on 9/10/2014The food at Vedge is superb! I like that the menu changes and the selections never disappoint. My daughter is a vegan and I'm a vegetarian and we were both very pleased with everything that was available. The presentations are beautiful and creative. The service is spot on.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014Held a business dinner at verge. The carnivores were very skeptical. By the end of the evening they were taking pictures of the food and raving about the quality, taste and presentation. My only suggestion would be to beef up the wine list. Overall - 5 starsSpecial Features:
- Superb and superbly satisfyingmackenzieDined on 9/8/2014Vedge brings to fruits and vegetables the leading role they deserve in the theatre of culinary delights. Everything is delicious, from the extraordinary cocktails to the fingerling fries. If you go but once a year, it will be among your best meals of the year.Special Features:
- AcndDined on 9/8/2014Vedge was fantastic. I can't believe I have lived in Philadelphia for years without going! I am vegan but my husband is not - we both can't wait to go back. Interesting and creative menu, great execution, friendly/fast service... Highly recommended to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Anniversary DinnercamniniDined on 9/8/2014This was our third or fourth time at Vedge. We were supposed to be bringing friends for a birthday celebration, but they had to cancel. We weren't going to give up the reservation, so we made it an early anniversary celebration. The Dan Dan zucchini noodles were amazing. My blueberry cheesecake with lemon poppyseed ice cream was also a standout.Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysPaulDined on 9/5/2014I have been to Vedge on a few different occasions now, and every time I go I am absolutely floored by the quality of this restaurant. Each menu item is prepared with extreme care and nothing feels excessive or out of place on the plate. I feel that the drink and dessert menu are actually quite similar, in that they both offer refreshing alternatives to what you would find in most other restaurants. All in all, Vedge truly is one of the best restaurants I have ever had the pleasure of dining in, and while the cost perhaps limits it to only special occasions, it is more than worth celebrating your next big accomplishment here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful, delicious & divine...sweetestbaboonDined on 9/5/2014Vedge has one of the most innovative & intellgent menus we've ever had the pleasure of eating from, not to mention by far the most delicious. Forget about it being vegan, it's just freakin' tasty as all get out!Special Features:
- PerfectionKagooDined on 9/4/2014We had high expectations for Vedge -- and they were exceeded. Everything about it is sheer perfection: the warm greeting when you arrive; the professional, attentive (but never overbearing OR overselling) service; the setting; and, of course, the food. I am a vegetarian; my husband is a carnivore. We were both blown away. Never before have we encountered any food, let alone an all-vegan meal, on a level like this one. We loved everything: rutabaga salad, roasted carrots, fingerling potatoes, Brussels sprouts, grilled tofu, crepe with peas and cauliflower, and cheesecake (with no cheese -- how do they do it?). The flavors, the textures, the presentation....all superb. We simply cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vedge deliversMarkVIPDined on 9/2/2014Vedge deserves all its positive press. The dishes are beautifully executed. Staff are wonderfully trained. if i were to critique anything it would be that, like so many tapas-style places, the food can come out pretty fast...and keep coming fast. Overall, Vedge was a terrific restaurant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best.repearlDined on 8/30/2014Everything was perfectly delicious in a beautiful, relaxed atmosphere. We just keep going back.Special Features:
- Spot onTigresSKSVIPDined on 8/30/2014Highlights in short: loved the decor (traditional with a twist), the service (attentive, but not in your face, polite, friendly, and anticipatory), and the drinks (inventive and well-mixed, even the non-alcoholic ones). Food: Could go on forever, but in sum, each course had more than one high note and altogether, Vedge inspired us all to try cooking similar dishes at home! My favorite course had to be the initial "for the table" option. My favorite dish was The Spicy Grilled Tofu. My favorite Dirt List item was the Brussels Sprouts. And dessert's Chocolate Uber Chunk was reminiscent of Marcie Turney's salted caramel budino in a smaller package with a pretzel-peanut crust. Scrummy!Special Features:
- Yes to Vedge!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Very good food. Great service. Would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScooterDined on 8/30/2014I have been to many vegetarians restaurants that have blown me away with the transformation of veges into something incredible and savory! However, Vedge served us just what it was - vegetables. The taste was great and the small plates were a perfect size; however, I was not in awe of them nor did I notice any phenomenal transformation from the usual appearance - that is until dessert. They served up ice cream, gelato, and a chocolate pretzel delight. The flavors were exciting and delicious. This was the transformation i was hoping for with the main platters - the sweet corn and chocolate whiskery ice cream were fabulous as was the stout ice cream. The service was fantastic. Everyone worked together and the restaurant was very busy!Special Features:
- Beyond Amazing.moniquejustineDined on 8/29/2014I have wanted to go to Vedge for the longest time. Last night was the night. From the moment I walked in, I loved the laid back bar area and relaxed vibe of the dining area. The service was top notch and the food was out of this world. I am vegetarian and this was the best vegetarian/vegan meal that I've had. And, one of the best meals regardless of it being vegan. The fingerling potatoes, be still my heart. The zucchini dan dan noodles were so light and refreshing. Dessert - Double yum. I will be back!!!!Special Features:
- Food for food's sakeImwiththeveganDined on 8/29/2014For herbivores and omnivores everywhere. Even the carnivore may be pleasantly surprised at how freaking awesome the food is here. You owe it to yourself to try Vedge out at least twice. Who knows, maybe you will become a convert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!red4limaDined on 8/29/2014Yummy veggies in interesting dishes. The presentation was beautiful. Certainly tasty but not inexpensive. Also more of a small plate destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go Vedge!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014I spent the better part of young adulthood thinking the color green in food should be limited to guacamole and margaritas. That's changed over the past ten years, but I'm still not the kind of guy who normally goes to vegan or vegetarian restaurants. Nevertheless, every dish we had at Vedge was good and several were outstanding. Pair that with a warm, upscale atmosphere and easygoing, knowledgeable servers and you get an outstanding overall dining experience. Plus, they have a really nice wine selection. Go Vedge!
- Sensory OverloadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014I had been dying to go to Vedge and finally got to go with my mom. We both eat a mostly plant based diet. Our waitress was just great!!but if your not a big eater listen to this advise...the waitress recommended we chose 3 plates off of the 3 different menu sub choices. It was just too much food and too many different flavors and new things that we have never had before. It was sensory overload. Please don't get me wrong. The food was really good and the waitress explained anything we asked about. I feel like it just would of been better to have gotten maybe two things or better yet. The menu should offer a meal that comes with 3 complimentary items chosen from the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMV (Oh My Vedge)timboDined on 8/27/2014First time at Vedge on my birthday. From start to finish the food was innovative, fresh and delicious! The service was near perfect, they are a WELL oiled machine. If I had to make one critique, they could have had a slowed the delivery down by a bit. I could totally become a Vegan if I had this food at by back and call everyday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No meat and didn't miss itilovecookbooksDined on 8/27/2014I am steak guy! Give me a 2 inch thick porterhouse some salt and some fire and I am ready. This place turns this kind of thinking on its head. Small plates, big flavors. Too noisy but beautiful room. Great service. Innovative, spicy!!, unique and great!Special Features:
- disappointed in" The Vedge"justiceDined on 8/27/2014noted: The Vedge was one of the best in the country. Our family is vegetarian with many vegan days. We have frequented other vegan/vegetarian restaurants over the years with joyous results. Your restaurant is not kid friendly your food seemed pretentious and over dressed. We also felt like some of the food was meat like and not enjoyable. The Spicy tofu reminded me of salmon and the other item ordered seemed like salmon fish eggs were on the bottom of the pile (don't remember the name) Some food was not identifiable. Your wait staff was superior to many, however the carrot dish with one roasted carrot cut into pieces and stuck into I don't know what that had cardboard favor was just plain silly. sorry,
- Nom nom!girlsnightDined on 8/26/2014Vedge was so great! They have an extensive gluten-free menu as well. We ordered only off of that and didn't feel like it compromised our experience like most places. Seriously delicious food. Our server was really nice and very educated on food and food prep processes in general (not just menu specific). I would pass on the drinks next time which were meh and just let myself focus on the amazing food.Special Features: