1221 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
VegetarianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vedgerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2153207500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm and Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Landau
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We are happy to accommodate private events for larger parties. Our private dining room can seat up to 16 and the entire restaurant can be made available. Please direct all inquiries to Joe either by phone (215-320-7500) or email (email@example.com).
- Private Party Contact: Joe Pachella 2153207500x
A word from Vedge
A modern vegetable restaurant by Chefs Richard Landau & Kate Jacoby, formerly of Horizons: Located in the historic Tiger Building on Locust Street, Vedge offers classical, elegant dining experiences as well as a sophisticated bar. The menu takes a fresh approach to cooking vegetables, presented in a series of mid-size plates. Think: Smoked Eggplant Braciole, Salt-Roasted Golden Beets, Wood-Grilled Maitake Mushrooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Vedge reviews from OpenTable diners
412 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (349)special occasion (275)neighborhood gem (177)romantic (165)hot spot (122)notable wine list (80)good for groups (76)vibrant bar scene (60)great for lunch (18)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (9)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Simply the best.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Everything was perfectly delicious in a beautiful, relaxed atmosphere. We just keep going back.Special Features:
- Spot onTigresSKSVIPDined on 8/30/2014Highlights in short: loved the decor (traditional with a twist), the service (attentive, but not in your face, polite, friendly, and anticipatory), and the drinks (inventive and well-mixed, even the non-alcoholic ones). Food: Could go on forever, but in sum, each course had more than one high note and altogether, Vedge inspired us all to try cooking similar dishes at home! My favorite course had to be the initial "for the table" option. My favorite dish was The Spicy Grilled Tofu. My favorite Dirt List item was the Brussels Sprouts. And dessert's Chocolate Uber Chunk was reminiscent of Marcie Turney's salted caramel budino in a smaller package with a pretzel-peanut crust. Scrummy!Special Features:
- Yes to Vedge!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Very good food. Great service. Would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScooterDined on 8/30/2014I have been to many vegetarians restaurants that have blown me away with the transformation of veges into something incredible and savory! However, Vedge served us just what it was - vegetables. The taste was great and the small plates were a perfect size; however, I was not in awe of them nor did I notice any phenomenal transformation from the usual appearance - that is until dessert. They served up ice cream, gelato, and a chocolate pretzel delight. The flavors were exciting and delicious. This was the transformation i was hoping for with the main platters - the sweet corn and chocolate whiskery ice cream were fabulous as was the stout ice cream. The service was fantastic. Everyone worked together and the restaurant was very busy!Special Features:
- Beyond Amazing.moniquejustineDined on 8/29/2014I have wanted to go to Vedge for the longest time. Last night was the night. From the moment I walked in, I loved the laid back bar area and relaxed vibe of the dining area. The service was top notch and the food was out of this world. I am vegetarian and this was the best vegetarian/vegan meal that I've had. And, one of the best meals regardless of it being vegan. The fingerling potatoes, be still my heart. The zucchini dan dan noodles were so light and refreshing. Dessert - Double yum. I will be back!!!!Special Features:
- Food for food's sakeImwiththeveganDined on 8/29/2014For herbivores and omnivores everywhere. Even the carnivore may be pleasantly surprised at how freaking awesome the food is here. You owe it to yourself to try Vedge out at least twice. Who knows, maybe you will become a convert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!red4limaDined on 8/29/2014Yummy veggies in interesting dishes. The presentation was beautiful. Certainly tasty but not inexpensive. Also more of a small plate destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensory OverloadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014I had been dying to go to Vedge and finally got to go with my mom. We both eat a mostly plant based diet. Our waitress was just great!!but if your not a big eater listen to this advise...the waitress recommended we chose 3 plates off of the 3 different menu sub choices. It was just too much food and too many different flavors and new things that we have never had before. It was sensory overload. Please don't get me wrong. The food was really good and the waitress explained anything we asked about. I feel like it just would of been better to have gotten maybe two things or better yet. The menu should offer a meal that comes with 3 complimentary items chosen from the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMV (Oh My Vedge)timboDined on 8/27/2014First time at Vedge on my birthday. From start to finish the food was innovative, fresh and delicious! The service was near perfect, they are a WELL oiled machine. If I had to make one critique, they could have had a slowed the delivery down by a bit. I could totally become a Vegan if I had this food at by back and call everyday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No meat and didn't miss itilovecookbooksDined on 8/27/2014I am steak guy! Give me a 2 inch thick porterhouse some salt and some fire and I am ready. This place turns this kind of thinking on its head. Small plates, big flavors. Too noisy but beautiful room. Great service. Innovative, spicy!!, unique and great!Special Features:
- disappointed in" The Vedge"OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014noted: The Vedge was one of the best in the country. Our family is vegetarian with many vegan days. We have frequented other vegan/vegetarian restaurants over the years with joyous results. Your restaurant is not kid friendly your food seemed pretentious and over dressed. We also felt like some of the food was meat like and not enjoyable. The Spicy tofu reminded me of salmon and the other item ordered seemed like salmon fish eggs were on the bottom of the pile (don't remember the name) Some food was not identifiable. Your wait staff was superior to many, however the carrot dish with one roasted carrot cut into pieces and stuck into I don't know what that had cardboard favor was just plain silly. sorry,
- Nom nom!girlsnightDined on 8/26/2014Vedge was so great! They have an extensive gluten-free menu as well. We ordered only off of that and didn't feel like it compromised our experience like most places. Seriously delicious food. Our server was really nice and very educated on food and food prep processes in general (not just menu specific). I would pass on the drinks next time which were meh and just let myself focus on the amazing food.Special Features:
- excellent as alwaysMikeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Vedge is a super consistent food adventure. The quality is always at the highest and the experience always a treat.Special Features:
- Great!bmediaDined on 8/23/2014The freshest, unique food that I've had. Great experience!Special Features:
- Amazing, interesting dishes!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Food doesn't get any better than this, even for people who never thought they would be interested in a vegan restaurant. Vedge's popularity is well deserved!Special Features:
- Fabulous!!!!DSteinbergDined on 8/22/2014Interesting, delicious, beautifully designed food that is impeccably executed and served. Knowledgable servers and wine wizards add to the unique dining experience. I would definitely go again...and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!! and Gluten free!!YumsterDined on 8/21/2014Amazing food, interesting combinations! This is like vegan gluten free tapas! I loved every single bite of everything single thing!!!!Special Features:
- I could never be VeganJonMinVIPDined on 8/21/2014Was good for what it was. My wife and I found the lack of protein incredibly unsatusfying to the point that we got a dinner after the dinner.
- MegregDined on 8/20/2014fantastic service & great bartenders. excellent happy hour menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Food was amazing and service couldn't be better. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. I hope it's around for years to come. It's not like any other restaurant around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the hypeMoonDined on 8/20/2014We were disappointed with our dining experience after hearing so much about Vedge. Portion sizes were good and some of the dishes were excellent. Others just did not taste good at all. The menus are frustrating. The drinks menu has descriptions that are ridiculous and ingredients that have to be explained by the server. The dinner menu also requires lengthy explanations. It was a very long dinner.Special Features:
- Food and service was fantasticLoriCDined on 8/20/2014I don't know why I waited so long! I've had dining at Vedge on my radar for quite some time and finally got around to going. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent. The restaurant itself was lovely, had great atmosphere and even though every table was occupied, it was not loud. I had the Grilled Seitan for my main dish. I'm not a huge seitan fan but this changed my mind. The flavor was excellent and my omnivore sister tasted it and completely thought it tasted like a grilled piece of meat. She had the Braciole and enjoyed it but thought my dish was the stand out. I will definitely go again despite it being an hour away from where I live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creativity off the chartsRiver919Dined on 8/19/2014Delicious and so creative in both taste and presentation! Stand outs for us were the fancy radishes, Vedge bar carrots, and miitake mushrooms. Great service and ambience. Heaven for vegetarians - and others, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do you like meat? Go anyway!WeekendDCDined on 8/18/2014The food is tremendous. Don't worry about it not being the cow, pig, or lamb you are thinking you need to eat to have a great meal. The flavors are outstanding and the service and ambiance is top notch. You'll wish all your meals were vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodghelloDined on 8/18/2014Overall it was a great experience. Our party was happy with everything except the feeling of being rushed numerous times over and over again. When you are spending a hefty amount of money no host or waitress should make you feel like that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Vedge has a fantastic vegan menu. The service, the food and the atmosphere were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must TryScorpiolady31Dined on 8/16/2014Outstanding in every way - drinks, food, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014This place is amazing. The food is just divine. I wouldn't hesitate to take carnivorous friends here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food....KathyDined on 8/14/2014The food was excellent, especially the cucumber soup, the potatoes, heirloom tomato tartare, and the ice cream, however we felt the service was too efficient . We would have preferred to engage our server in conversation rather than the clipped answers we received to our questions. We are vegan and wish Vedge would open up a restaurant in Boston. We tasted 9 of the items and they were all excellent. A very memorable dining experience. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- amazing small platesamazzDined on 8/14/2014My fiance and I loved Vedge. Great attentive service, lovely atmosphere. We had the golden beets with avocado and tofu...wonderfully fresh and delicious. We also had the shaved smoked brussel sprouts with mustard aioli....And we loved it so much. I will never see brussel sprouts the same again. I sldo loved the portabello carpaccio with pickled eggplant dish. This place is a must visit location. My fiance is a meat eater and I am more of a veggie lover...but both he and I were both thrilled and wish we could go again soon! Unfortunatly, we wont be able till our next trip to Philly, but we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally! Well worth the wait!mainlinesushiloverDined on 8/14/2014I had been meaning to visit Vedge for several years now, but just now managed to get a reservation after a few attempts. And it was totally worth the wait (though of course, I wish I had gone sooner). Everything was absolutely outstanding - service was great, and the food was truly excellent. We tried several things from the menu, and could have devoured the entire menu if time (and money) allowed. I was truly impressed by the quality and care taken in preparation. Might I add the sauces on every single item were delicious, and if it were socially acceptable, I would have eaten them with a spoon. If you've been considering a visit to Vedge, do not hesitate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but nicephillyphanaticDined on 8/13/2014Expect a high decibel dinner when you go to Vedge. If you want to have a quiet conversation with a dinner partner, look elsewhere. The food selections are creative, well-prepared, and delicious. The chili-smoked almonds are remarkable - if you like spice as much as we do - and put paid to the notion that vegan food is bland and boring. Other tasty dishes were: shaved brussel sprouts, spring peas & cauliflower with a buckwheat crepe. Unfortunately, the bread does not stand up to the quality of the other food. It tastes like supermarket white bread and is a notable disappointment in an otherwise excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PhilEdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Innovative menu, very tasty. High marks for the grilled tofu and the portabello carpaccio. Grilled seitan also very good but depends on whether you like the texture if seitan. Very nice wine list. Attentive staff and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceveganJ6Dined on 8/11/2014The wait staff and the food were both exceptional. Incredibly upscale dining. The waitress made it a point to make recommendations because she could see we weren't sure where to start. Needless to say, they were fabulous. I really enjoyed myself.Special Features:
- Amazing!SG12334Dined on 8/9/2014Top-notch service. Food was amazing. Tastes that I have never had before! One of the best dining experiences I have ever had.Special Features:
- PerfectionLoveitDined on 8/9/2014Husband and I went for birthday dinner. Everyone was exceedingly generous and kind. The food was exceptional - the level of care put into each dish was evident from the first to the last bite. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!HalleyHudsonDined on 8/9/2014The food at Vedge is absolutely amazing! I can't wait to go back. We ordered seconds of some dishes because it was just so good. The portions are a great size as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Life changing.KathleenDined on 8/9/2014The food is so good here your soul will start singing upon the first bite, you'll have to hold onto the table to brace yourself and quite frankly will have to stop yourself from moaning out because quite frankly this is a classy place. Try anything, it'll be the best thing you ever ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for veganslbtribeDined on 8/9/2014Only one person in our party of four is vegan, but all of us had fabulous, satisfying meals. Service was attentive but not overbearing, friendly, and prompt. We bought their cookbook on the way out and were pleased to see recipes for some of the dishes we'd just eaten. The bar drinks were interesting, too--both alcoholic and nonalcoholic. We hope to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OOTW!!! (Out of this world!)lauraannchinDined on 8/8/2014AMAZING!!! hands down best and i mean BEST restaurant the world just HAS to try! Make a reservation today and see what this place is truly about! AMAZING! No fluf!!Special Features: