164 South B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vault164.com/
- Phone: 6503488164
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Thurs 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gerardo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Vault 164
Welcome to Vault 164, located in the heart of downtown San Mateo. Set in the old Crocker Bank on the corner of 2nd and B, the décor uses many of the building"s antique vault pieces sprinkled throughout the dining room and bar. We feature an eclectic and contemporary American cuisine, using sustainable seafood and organic produce when possible. Stop by and enjoy our bourbon and maple glazed pork chop, served on sweet potato mash, or a savory Caramelized Onion, Applewood Smoked Bacon, and Cambozola Cheese Flatbread. We offer a wide range of aged steaks and whole roasted chicken, fresh pasta, and unique salads. Our bar is great place to meet friends or watch a game, and it features a variety of classic and new cocktails, handmade to perfection, a large selection of beers on tap, and over 20 wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vault 164 - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Vault 164 reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (55)special occasion (50)vibrant bar scene (35)great for lunch (33)hot spot (24)romantic (22)notable wine list (21)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (10)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Cosmopolitan Dining in Downtown...tretower57Dined on 10/23/2014The Vault offers a lively, sophisticated atmosphere, housed in vintage converted bank chic, whose substantial vault door is displayed horizontally upon entering. The wine selection is varied and interesting without being excessive or overwhelming. We shared the ahi tuna tower & taro chips and both found it fresh & delicious. Two of us sampled main dish salads. I had salmon/quinoa and was very pleased with the generous portion of salmon & perfect balance of component greens, dressing, and quinoa. My husband enjoyed his bone-in ribeye (as did our dog, who got the leftovers!). Our one guest loved his roast chicken --juicy and nicely seasoned. Desserts: crême brûlée strawberries & cream, chocolate torte, and Irish Coffee all hit their mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Eats!Foodie24Dined on 10/18/2014I found Vault 164 a refreshing place to have dinner. They have a pretty good drink menu, featuring things like blackberry mojitos and cucumber vodka special. The menu is reasonable good. We had crab cakes and ahi tuna for appetizers. We thought the ahi tuna was decent, however, it just had to much going on with avocados and cucumbers hiding to much of the ahi tuna flavor. Our main course were good seared ahi and spicy giant prawns. We would definitely go again to try other things on the menu. Overall, I think it's a great addition to the San Mateo dining experience.Special Features:
- Great PlacefoodwinelvrDined on 10/17/2014The food, drinks & service are excellent but, not crazy about how the tables are set up. The lump crab & artichoke dip is EXCELLENT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Great serviceSMFoodieDined on 10/17/2014We were able to get reservations quickly on a Friday night and enjoy an early dinner without the noisy crowd. I ordered the short ribs over mashed potatoes. Portion was generous but the short ribs were dry. My daughter had the Cajun shrimp which was also a large portion with great flavors. Fried banana dessert was yummy too. Prices are on the high side with the average entree around $25. The bill was $92 including tip, for two drinks, an appetizer, two entrees and one dessert. The waitress was great so all in all we enjoyed our visit to Vault 164.Special Features:
- Go with the Scampi RisottoChrisDined on 10/15/2014Unique venue- oldest building in San Mateo. Service was amazingly fast. Local parking is a hassle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding AppetizersPiccataDined on 10/15/2014We had a delicious dinner here the other night, but the appetizers were outstanding! We shared two: the Brussels Sprout Chips and the Bacon Wrapped Dates. Many restaurants do the Bacon Wrapped Dates, but these were really well prepared. The bacon was crispy, the dates were soft, and the goat cheese was so fresh and creamy that my husband, who doesn't usually care for goat cheese, loved them. The Balsamic glaze perfectly added a touch of tart to the sweet/savory combo. I like brussels sprouts very much, but I've never had them like this before. I'll be back for more!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, very loudOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Perhaps it could be because we were seated by the kitchen entrance but between the hardwood floors, plain walls and a kitchen dividing wall that doesn't go to the ceiling (who thought this was a good sound barrier?), this was a very loud place for dinner. The food was really excellent and our server was thorough, if not too knowledgeable about drink questions, but the noise level was kind of a major letdown. Suggest asking for a place far from the bar/kitchen and maybe it'll be quieter if that matters to you.
- Oh so good!CarolDined on 10/11/2014We live in a different state but took some friends for a thank you dinner. None of us had been to Vault 164. It was a wonderful experience. Everyone in other reviews I read raved about the brussel sprouts chips. I hate brussel sprouts but loved the chips. Each of ordered something different and we all loved our food.Special Features:
- leeseDined on 10/11/2014absolutely delicious food, friendly service, only wish they used tableclothsSpecial Features:
- Anniversary dinnerCkgeeDined on 10/4/2014We were celebrating our 16th anniversary and had a scrumptious meal! K checked in at Facebook and we got our free brussel chips appetizer. Calamari was good. B got the kids skirt steak and was delicious...a ton of fries and broccolini. T ordered the kids sliders...ton of fries. They had pink lemonade that we thought came with the meal but we ended up paying $1.50 each which the waiter forgot to tell us. K got the pork chops which was tender and tasty...with kale/bacon/sweet potato mash. I got the maple cedar salmon with veggies which was yummy! Kids got ice cream sundae/gummy worms...good but were full. We got a free sundae plus ordered the baked Alaskan with coffee ice cream and brownie which was cool to see the flame but was a lot to eat!Special Features:
- Don't do it.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/2/2014It may look nice from the outside but the food gets worse with every visit.
- Great foodpir8teDined on 9/30/2014A great place for larger groups nice selection something for everyone all excellentSpecial Features:
- Booked for my Boss, Dinner MeetingjenzmaleDined on 9/29/2014I made a reservation at Vault 164 for my boss for a business dinner. She said the restaurant was very cool, decorated with themed items (vault door, etc...) from when the building was a bank. She enjoyed the food and said she would come back. I had the pleasure of speaking to 2 of the hosts at the restaurant and both were very kind and accommodating. My boss was running quite late and not only did they keep her reservation, but they contacted me and asked me to let her know not to worry and that they would save a table for her.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food and drinks are excellent. Dessert as well. Make sure to check in on Facebook for your free order of brussel sprout chips. They are amazing! Everything is flavorful, staff is super friendly. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Sadly since it's opening Vault's food has gone down hill. Dessert still great. The meal itself was extremely disappointing.Special Features:
- UniqueLouBVIPDined on 9/11/2014Unique but very tasty menu selections with good atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- Nice place for Business DinnerHumaDined on 9/9/2014Had a team meeting / dinner - perfect table for catching up and having conversations. Solid bar - but could have used a few more bar tenders - good beer selection (including Racer 5). Food was very good and our waitress did a very nice job.Special Features:
- KrumbsfromKovVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had wonderful seasonal salads and entrees (mushroom risotto & skirt steak) were tasty and perfectly presented. Service is alway very good here and bar scene is vibrant, although crowded at times. Curious George for dessert was shared by my wife and me--two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, manager brad rudeTeetaDined on 8/30/2014Ordered seabass without tomatoes , add Brussels sprouts and a side of miso sauce. Came back with no couscous, and no miso. Waiting. Food cold. Brad manager said he couldn't get a side of miso because he would have to make another piece of fish in order to do so. So , he rudely said, "fine! I'll make another fish and eat that so you can have a side of miso." Super uncomfortable. He came back and apologized, and gave us a dessert and compt my meal, but the night was just awkward. Other than feeling horrible, the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Was very pleasantly surprised by this local gem. Ambiance was really nice and the food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everybody's Happy!GFSueVIPDined on 8/28/2014This place has something for everyone and the food is good so Everyone's Happy! We had an excellent server, Tanya, who took care of our every need. The service has greatly improved each time I eat here. They even knew how to make a French 75 the correct way! I'm definitely going back!Special Features:
- Yummmm...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/26/2014We had a family dinner there and were blown away! We ordered the Crab Dip, Ahi and Brussels Sprouts as an appetizer for the table. Every thing was delicious! Their entrees are a great size and almost big enough to share! We will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Good PlaceFoodie24Dined on 8/23/2014I was really expecting better food here. Their menu looked great with a lots to choice from. I had the skirt steak from their special of the evening. I asked for medium and it was over cooked for me. I like seeing red in my steaks and this didn't even bleed! The only thing I can say is they have very good service. I'll have to try it one more time before I cross it off my list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- xvraptorDined on 8/23/2014Came for an early dinner with the family. Started with crabcakes and the brussel sprout chips (free if you check-in on facebook and is stated on the menu). Crabcakes were decent though the brussel sprout chips were the clear winner between the two, albeit a bit salty. Ironically, the service was slower at the start (only 2 other parties) compared to when the dining room was full. Entrees ordered: filet mignon, the special of the day filet mignon chop steak (aka burger in the shape of a steak), maple salmon, and the chilean sea bass. Both fish dishes came out juicy while the steaks came out more well done than requested. The family definitely enjoyed the food even with the over done steaks and we would come back for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A find!AlwaysawinnerDined on 8/22/2014I had heard good reports about Vault 164 and was pleasantly surprised that they were not exaggerated. The atmosphere is charming and old world - quite fascinating menu description of the conversion of the space from an old bank building. Our waiter, Kevin, was fantastic and the food was wonderful. Prices are reasonable and it was an overall great experience - especially pleasing as I was with out-of-town company and they were very impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!FlfoodieVIPDined on 8/20/2014Started with the Brussels sprouts which were flavorful and crispy. The bacon wrapped medjool dates with goat cheese and balsamic glaze were yummy, melt in your mouth treats. Sliced skirt steak was thick, very tender, and delicious. Cooked perfectly and they were agreeable to change sides. Would definitely return. Service was great.Special Features:
- AWESOME!LobieDined on 8/19/2014Had another great experience for our group birthday luncheon. service was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, good atmosphere serviceluvfoodVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had an early dinner. Service was quick & courteous. We started with the Brussels Sprout Chips. Entrees ordered were Sea Scallops & Ahi Tuna. Both were prepared perfectly. Although, I thought it was a touch on the salty side. For dessert we shared the Baked Alaska which is pretty unique. The chocolate brownie was very chocolaty & the meringue topping flambe was a nice touch. It was a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annoying Dessert MenuChowhoundVIPDined on 8/10/2014The menu said baked Alaska, but it was not baked and instead of meringue, they smothered the ice cream in marshmallow goo. Yuck. My wife ordered key lime pie. First off, it didn't look like pie, and second, it didn't have much flavor. The salmon chowder soup was very good, but the entrees were just so-so. We won't be going back.
- 4eatsDined on 8/10/2014Vault 164 is a real gem. We were celebrating a special occasion & all of our guests enjoyed their menu choices.(Rave Reviews)!! I have never been disappointed in anything I have ordered at the Vault. Obviously our party shares my feelings. Kudos to the chef & the entire staff. Our server, Rosalee was, as always superior.Special Features:
- Very Good RestaurantHonestFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Very good in every way. No particular area excels, but this was only a first visit. One area of criticism I would mention here (and for most restaurants) include the following: - too much salt, especially on the brussel sprouts chips (can remove 90% of the salt and it will taste better) - too much sugar in the salad dressing - too much salad dressing overwhelmed the natural flavors (can easily remove 95% of the dressing) Chilean Sea Bass was cooked almost to perfection. A tad sweeter than I prefer, but the temperature and texture were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Break into the Vault for Great FoodjimoriVIPDined on 8/7/2014Stopped by for lunch @ Vault 164 and my lunch of Flat Steak Cobb Salad was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we come every movie night!Roadhouse1Dined on 8/4/2014Love this place! The food is unbelievable. Brussel sprout chips, flank steak and heirloom tomatoes, kale and quinoa salad. Great wine selection. This place is killing it, plus the menu rotates so we get to have different entrées everytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingPicky3aterDined on 8/4/2014We were visiting from out if town and happened upon Vault. So very happy we did! The Brussel Sprout chips have become my new favorite thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodsLoveFoodsDined on 8/1/2014We really looked forward to having lunch at Vault 164 after reading various reviews. Our reservation was at 1pm on a Friday. The restaurant was relatively quiet. We order a BLT and brie, and a mushroom risotto. Neither was tasty. The risotto was floating in butter.
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014Vault 164 quickly became one of our all-time favorite dining spots, right after our first visit! This has only been our second visit, but we have confirmed that the dining experience all around is consistently excellent. Special shout-out to our amazing server on our second visit, Gabriel!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The waiter was very nice by offering a free sundae to my little nephew who didn't order any kid's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute best food and servicekimeatsoutDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant is amazing! I had a party of 12 in town for business and we received excellent service and the food was absolutely delicious. Every entree we ordered was cooked perfectly, the presentation was great, the food was served hot, nothing over cooked or left sitting out. Our waitress was more than attentive, helpful, and attune to the needs of our party. This restaurant rates at the top of my list for everything. The 12 people in our party were all very very happy with this restaurant. Order the bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese as an appetizer. Great combination of flavors. From the filet mignon with mushrooms and au gratin potatoes to the seared tuna, to roasted chicken, you won't be disappointed. Great menu.Special Features:
- Food was fine2004VIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was fine, but nothing was good enough that I would order it again. Restaurant was noisy and service was slow (although when the waiter did stop by he was very nice).
- A Vault like no otherCathyDined on 7/20/2014This is my 4th visit and I have yet to be disappointed. The food is terrific and the desserts you make sure you leave room. The service is always high level and friendly. The decor is very comfortable. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.