164 South B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vault164.com/
- Phone: 6503488164
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Thurs 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gerardo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Vault 164
Welcome to Vault 164, located in the heart of downtown San Mateo. Set in the old Crocker Bank on the corner of 2nd and B, the décor uses many of the building"s antique vault pieces sprinkled throughout the dining room and bar. We feature an eclectic and contemporary American cuisine, using sustainable seafood and organic produce when possible. Stop by and enjoy our bourbon and maple glazed pork chop, served on sweet potato mash, or a savory Caramelized Onion, Applewood Smoked Bacon, and Cambozola Cheese Flatbread. We offer a wide range of aged steaks and whole roasted chicken, fresh pasta, and unique salads. Our bar is great place to meet friends or watch a game, and it features a variety of classic and new cocktails, handmade to perfection, a large selection of beers on tap, and over 20 wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vault 164 - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Vault 164 reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (72)good for groups (66)special occasion (55)great for lunch (41)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (26)romantic (22)notable wine list (20)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (10)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Booked for my Boss, Dinner MeetingjenzmaleDined on 9/29/2014I made a reservation at Vault 164 for my boss for a business dinner. She said the restaurant was very cool, decorated with themed items (vault door, etc...) from when the building was a bank. She enjoyed the food and said she would come back. I had the pleasure of speaking to 2 of the hosts at the restaurant and both were very kind and accommodating. My boss was running quite late and not only did they keep her reservation, but they contacted me and asked me to let her know not to worry and that they would save a table for her.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food and drinks are excellent. Dessert as well. Make sure to check in on Facebook for your free order of brussel sprout chips. They are amazing! Everything is flavorful, staff is super friendly. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Sadly since it's opening Vault's food has gone down hill. Dessert still great. The meal itself was extremely disappointing.Special Features:
- UniqueLouBVIPDined on 9/11/2014Unique but very tasty menu selections with good atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- Nice place for Business DinnerHumaDined on 9/9/2014Had a team meeting / dinner - perfect table for catching up and having conversations. Solid bar - but could have used a few more bar tenders - good beer selection (including Racer 5). Food was very good and our waitress did a very nice job.Special Features:
- KrumbsfromKovVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had wonderful seasonal salads and entrees (mushroom risotto & skirt steak) were tasty and perfectly presented. Service is alway very good here and bar scene is vibrant, although crowded at times. Curious George for dessert was shared by my wife and me--two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, manager brad rudeTeetaDined on 8/30/2014Ordered seabass without tomatoes , add Brussels sprouts and a side of miso sauce. Came back with no couscous, and no miso. Waiting. Food cold. Brad manager said he couldn't get a side of miso because he would have to make another piece of fish in order to do so. So , he rudely said, "fine! I'll make another fish and eat that so you can have a side of miso." Super uncomfortable. He came back and apologized, and gave us a dessert and compt my meal, but the night was just awkward. Other than feeling horrible, the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Was very pleasantly surprised by this local gem. Ambiance was really nice and the food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everybody's Happy!GFSueVIPDined on 8/28/2014This place has something for everyone and the food is good so Everyone's Happy! We had an excellent server, Tanya, who took care of our every need. The service has greatly improved each time I eat here. They even knew how to make a French 75 the correct way! I'm definitely going back!Special Features:
- Yummmm...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/26/2014We had a family dinner there and were blown away! We ordered the Crab Dip, Ahi and Brussels Sprouts as an appetizer for the table. Every thing was delicious! Their entrees are a great size and almost big enough to share! We will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Good PlaceFoodie24Dined on 8/23/2014I was really expecting better food here. Their menu looked great with a lots to choice from. I had the skirt steak from their special of the evening. I asked for medium and it was over cooked for me. I like seeing red in my steaks and this didn't even bleed! The only thing I can say is they have very good service. I'll have to try it one more time before I cross it off my list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- xvraptorDined on 8/23/2014Came for an early dinner with the family. Started with crabcakes and the brussel sprout chips (free if you check-in on facebook and is stated on the menu). Crabcakes were decent though the brussel sprout chips were the clear winner between the two, albeit a bit salty. Ironically, the service was slower at the start (only 2 other parties) compared to when the dining room was full. Entrees ordered: filet mignon, the special of the day filet mignon chop steak (aka burger in the shape of a steak), maple salmon, and the chilean sea bass. Both fish dishes came out juicy while the steaks came out more well done than requested. The family definitely enjoyed the food even with the over done steaks and we would come back for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A find!AlwaysawinnerDined on 8/22/2014I had heard good reports about Vault 164 and was pleasantly surprised that they were not exaggerated. The atmosphere is charming and old world - quite fascinating menu description of the conversion of the space from an old bank building. Our waiter, Kevin, was fantastic and the food was wonderful. Prices are reasonable and it was an overall great experience - especially pleasing as I was with out-of-town company and they were very impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!FlfoodieVIPDined on 8/20/2014Started with the Brussels sprouts which were flavorful and crispy. The bacon wrapped medjool dates with goat cheese and balsamic glaze were yummy, melt in your mouth treats. Sliced skirt steak was thick, very tender, and delicious. Cooked perfectly and they were agreeable to change sides. Would definitely return. Service was great.Special Features:
- AWESOME!LobieDined on 8/19/2014Had another great experience for our group birthday luncheon. service was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, good atmosphere serviceluvfoodVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had an early dinner. Service was quick & courteous. We started with the Brussels Sprout Chips. Entrees ordered were Sea Scallops & Ahi Tuna. Both were prepared perfectly. Although, I thought it was a touch on the salty side. For dessert we shared the Baked Alaska which is pretty unique. The chocolate brownie was very chocolaty & the meringue topping flambe was a nice touch. It was a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annoying Dessert MenuChowhoundVIPDined on 8/10/2014The menu said baked Alaska, but it was not baked and instead of meringue, they smothered the ice cream in marshmallow goo. Yuck. My wife ordered key lime pie. First off, it didn't look like pie, and second, it didn't have much flavor. The salmon chowder soup was very good, but the entrees were just so-so. We won't be going back.
- 4eatsDined on 8/10/2014Vault 164 is a real gem. We were celebrating a special occasion & all of our guests enjoyed their menu choices.(Rave Reviews)!! I have never been disappointed in anything I have ordered at the Vault. Obviously our party shares my feelings. Kudos to the chef & the entire staff. Our server, Rosalee was, as always superior.Special Features:
- Very Good RestaurantHonestFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Very good in every way. No particular area excels, but this was only a first visit. One area of criticism I would mention here (and for most restaurants) include the following: - too much salt, especially on the brussel sprouts chips (can remove 90% of the salt and it will taste better) - too much sugar in the salad dressing - too much salad dressing overwhelmed the natural flavors (can easily remove 95% of the dressing) Chilean Sea Bass was cooked almost to perfection. A tad sweeter than I prefer, but the temperature and texture were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Break into the Vault for Great FoodjimoriVIPDined on 8/7/2014Stopped by for lunch @ Vault 164 and my lunch of Flat Steak Cobb Salad was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we come every movie night!Roadhouse1Dined on 8/4/2014Love this place! The food is unbelievable. Brussel sprout chips, flank steak and heirloom tomatoes, kale and quinoa salad. Great wine selection. This place is killing it, plus the menu rotates so we get to have different entrées everytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingPicky3aterDined on 8/4/2014We were visiting from out if town and happened upon Vault. So very happy we did! The Brussel Sprout chips have become my new favorite thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodsLoveFoodsDined on 8/1/2014We really looked forward to having lunch at Vault 164 after reading various reviews. Our reservation was at 1pm on a Friday. The restaurant was relatively quiet. We order a BLT and brie, and a mushroom risotto. Neither was tasty. The risotto was floating in butter.
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014Vault 164 quickly became one of our all-time favorite dining spots, right after our first visit! This has only been our second visit, but we have confirmed that the dining experience all around is consistently excellent. Special shout-out to our amazing server on our second visit, Gabriel!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The waiter was very nice by offering a free sundae to my little nephew who didn't order any kid's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute best food and servicekimeatsoutDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant is amazing! I had a party of 12 in town for business and we received excellent service and the food was absolutely delicious. Every entree we ordered was cooked perfectly, the presentation was great, the food was served hot, nothing over cooked or left sitting out. Our waitress was more than attentive, helpful, and attune to the needs of our party. This restaurant rates at the top of my list for everything. The 12 people in our party were all very very happy with this restaurant. Order the bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese as an appetizer. Great combination of flavors. From the filet mignon with mushrooms and au gratin potatoes to the seared tuna, to roasted chicken, you won't be disappointed. Great menu.Special Features:
- Food was fine2004VIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was fine, but nothing was good enough that I would order it again. Restaurant was noisy and service was slow (although when the waiter did stop by he was very nice).
- A Vault like no otherCathyDined on 7/20/2014This is my 4th visit and I have yet to be disappointed. The food is terrific and the desserts you make sure you leave room. The service is always high level and friendly. The decor is very comfortable. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do yourself a favor and GO to VaultVreaderDined on 7/20/2014We went for a birthday dinner and the menu was excellent! We each had a special cocktail and shared brussel sprout chips - yummy. The bar was busy but not obnoxiously noisy to interfere with diner conversation. We sat next to a family with two kids and the atmosphere was fine for all. There were about 4 or 5 entrees we each wanted to try so it was hard to choose. Had skirt steak which was perfect and spaghetti squash with vegetables which was delicious. Will DEFINITELY go back to try some others! Our server was wonderful. Paid plenty of attention to us without making us feel like we had to rush out the door. She even surprised us with baked Alaska when she was told it was my birthday. We had never had that and it was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won a gift card at a fundraiserOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We don't usually go to fancy restaurants. We just prefer a more casual ambiance and prefer to save the big bucks for other things. However I bid (full price) on a gift card for Vault 164 at a fundraiser, so we gave it a try. The food was terrific the alcoholic drinks were not so great: a flat rum and soda and a blah margarita. The service however was terrific.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected moreFoodie15Dined on 7/18/2014Place is too dark and nothing special about it interior. Food is ok/good, but overpriced. Very noisy and reminds more of a bar scene rather than an elegant restaurant scene.
- Amazing Food & ServiceKie914Dined on 7/18/2014I was shocked that a random choice off opentable turned out to be such a good place. We had the crab dip as an appetizer with the taro chips. It was a great combination. We continued to entrees with the cedar plank salmon, prawns and mashed potatoes and roasted chicken. The three of us were more than overwhelmed with the depth of flavor and quality. The waitress even brought out a baked Alaska for the birthday girl. I definitely plan to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it - great service/foodTreenWVIPDined on 7/16/2014My mom and I dined here for the first time and were pleased with the wide selection of menu items. We both had cedar plank maple glazed salmon with fingerling potatoes and vegetables, served beautifully on the plank. She enjoyed the spinach salad and I the kale & quinoa salad. Our server, Jenessa, was attentive and friendly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Vault is openLars90274VIPDined on 7/12/2014We like the vault and regularly visit because the food is always great and fresh. The menu changes so I always find something new to try. Also, my wife is gluten intolerant, and they have a dedicated food allergy menu, which is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJcm650Dined on 7/11/2014food was very good and came out right away which almost never happens to us. our sever was kind and friendly. will diffidently come back again.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Had a great time! Such good food and amazing Sangria!! Will be back soon for sure!!Special Features:
- outstandingSonnyjDined on 7/8/2014Most on line reviews gave Vault 164 high rating I agree. My pork chop was huge yet tender My wife had the salmon and thought it was one of the best she ever had. Sides were not the"usual" and were excellent. The Baked Alaska desert was wonderful. Parked in city garage 1/2 block away. Free parking after 6:00pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and Relaxing.visitingdiners2Dined on 7/5/2014The wait people were great. We were seated immediately. Menu was varied so there were plenty of choices for all tastes. Food was good. We were in a booth, which was nice as the noise level was not too bad. No parking - so have to have valet serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food you can bank onAahzVIPDined on 7/5/2014Everything was good to excellent; the standout was the lump crab and artichoke dip. Service was good. Felt noisy but we had no trouble conversing.Special Features:
- Awesome food every time we go!MacbestVIPDined on 7/1/2014I have been here for lunch 10 times with clients. Everytime I go the same occurs: fabulous food and service! Why wouldn't i want to come back! If you like sparkling water, its free (they make their own) and sat right on the table. The brussel sprout "chips" are a must try (even if you don't think you like brussel sprouts!). The burger is amazing, the skirt steak - same. The appetizers really shine and I have had them all. Each are well thought out and extremely tasty. Try the tuna tartare; the deviled eggs are amazing! The sausage sampler is super. I can't say enough about how great this place is other than, after 10 times, I will still be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.