164 South B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vault164.com/
- Phone: 6503488164
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Thurs 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gerardo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Vault 164
Welcome to Vault 164, located in the heart of downtown San Mateo. Set in the old Crocker Bank on the corner of 2nd and B, the décor uses many of the building"s antique vault pieces sprinkled throughout the dining room and bar. We feature an eclectic and contemporary American cuisine, using sustainable seafood and organic produce when possible. Stop by and enjoy our bourbon and maple glazed pork chop, served on sweet potato mash, or a savory Caramelized Onion, Applewood Smoked Bacon, and Cambozola Cheese Flatbread. We offer a wide range of aged steaks and whole roasted chicken, fresh pasta, and unique salads. Our bar is great place to meet friends or watch a game, and it features a variety of classic and new cocktails, handmade to perfection, a large selection of beers on tap, and over 20 wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vault 164 - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Vault 164 reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (74)good for groups (71)special occasion (63)great for lunch (41)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (24)romantic (24)kid-friendly (19)notable wine list (15)late-night find (13)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- AWESOME!LobieDined on 8/19/2014Had another great experience for our group birthday luncheon. service was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, good atmosphere serviceluvfoodVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had an early dinner. Service was quick & courteous. We started with the Brussels Sprout Chips. Entrees ordered were Sea Scallops & Ahi Tuna. Both were prepared perfectly. Although, I thought it was a touch on the salty side. For dessert we shared the Baked Alaska which is pretty unique. The chocolate brownie was very chocolaty & the meringue topping flambe was a nice touch. It was a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annoying Dessert MenuChowhoundVIPDined on 8/10/2014The menu said baked Alaska, but it was not baked and instead of meringue, they smothered the ice cream in marshmallow goo. Yuck. My wife ordered key lime pie. First off, it didn't look like pie, and second, it didn't have much flavor. The salmon chowder soup was very good, but the entrees were just so-so. We won't be going back.
- 4eatsDined on 8/10/2014Vault 164 is a real gem. We were celebrating a special occasion & all of our guests enjoyed their menu choices.(Rave Reviews)!! I have never been disappointed in anything I have ordered at the Vault. Obviously our party shares my feelings. Kudos to the chef & the entire staff. Our server, Rosalee was, as always superior.Special Features:
- Very Good RestaurantHonestFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Very good in every way. No particular area excels, but this was only a first visit. One area of criticism I would mention here (and for most restaurants) include the following: - too much salt, especially on the brussel sprouts chips (can remove 90% of the salt and it will taste better) - too much sugar in the salad dressing - too much salad dressing overwhelmed the natural flavors (can easily remove 95% of the dressing) Chilean Sea Bass was cooked almost to perfection. A tad sweeter than I prefer, but the temperature and texture were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Break into the Vault for Great FoodjimoriDined on 8/7/2014Stopped by for lunch @ Vault 164 and my lunch of Flat Steak Cobb Salad was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we come every movie night!Roadhouse1Dined on 8/4/2014Love this place! The food is unbelievable. Brussel sprout chips, flank steak and heirloom tomatoes, kale and quinoa salad. Great wine selection. This place is killing it, plus the menu rotates so we get to have different entrées everytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingPicky3aterDined on 8/4/2014We were visiting from out if town and happened upon Vault. So very happy we did! The Brussel Sprout chips have become my new favorite thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodsLoveFoodsDined on 8/1/2014We really looked forward to having lunch at Vault 164 after reading various reviews. Our reservation was at 1pm on a Friday. The restaurant was relatively quiet. We order a BLT and brie, and a mushroom risotto. Neither was tasty. The risotto was floating in butter.
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014Vault 164 quickly became one of our all-time favorite dining spots, right after our first visit! This has only been our second visit, but we have confirmed that the dining experience all around is consistently excellent. Special shout-out to our amazing server on our second visit, Gabriel!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The waiter was very nice by offering a free sundae to my little nephew who didn't order any kid's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute best food and servicekimeatsoutDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant is amazing! I had a party of 12 in town for business and we received excellent service and the food was absolutely delicious. Every entree we ordered was cooked perfectly, the presentation was great, the food was served hot, nothing over cooked or left sitting out. Our waitress was more than attentive, helpful, and attune to the needs of our party. This restaurant rates at the top of my list for everything. The 12 people in our party were all very very happy with this restaurant. Order the bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese as an appetizer. Great combination of flavors. From the filet mignon with mushrooms and au gratin potatoes to the seared tuna, to roasted chicken, you won't be disappointed. Great menu.Special Features:
- Food was fine2004Dined on 7/23/2014The food was fine, but nothing was good enough that I would order it again. Restaurant was noisy and service was slow (although when the waiter did stop by he was very nice).
- A Vault like no otherCathyDined on 7/20/2014This is my 4th visit and I have yet to be disappointed. The food is terrific and the desserts you make sure you leave room. The service is always high level and friendly. The decor is very comfortable. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do yourself a favor and GO to VaultVreaderDined on 7/20/2014We went for a birthday dinner and the menu was excellent! We each had a special cocktail and shared brussel sprout chips - yummy. The bar was busy but not obnoxiously noisy to interfere with diner conversation. We sat next to a family with two kids and the atmosphere was fine for all. There were about 4 or 5 entrees we each wanted to try so it was hard to choose. Had skirt steak which was perfect and spaghetti squash with vegetables which was delicious. Will DEFINITELY go back to try some others! Our server was wonderful. Paid plenty of attention to us without making us feel like we had to rush out the door. She even surprised us with baked Alaska when she was told it was my birthday. We had never had that and it was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won a gift card at a fundraiserOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We don't usually go to fancy restaurants. We just prefer a more casual ambiance and prefer to save the big bucks for other things. However I bid (full price) on a gift card for Vault 164 at a fundraiser, so we gave it a try. The food was terrific the alcoholic drinks were not so great: a flat rum and soda and a blah margarita. The service however was terrific.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected moreFoodie15Dined on 7/18/2014Place is too dark and nothing special about it interior. Food is ok/good, but overpriced. Very noisy and reminds more of a bar scene rather than an elegant restaurant scene.
- Amazing Food & ServiceKie914Dined on 7/18/2014I was shocked that a random choice off opentable turned out to be such a good place. We had the crab dip as an appetizer with the taro chips. It was a great combination. We continued to entrees with the cedar plank salmon, prawns and mashed potatoes and roasted chicken. The three of us were more than overwhelmed with the depth of flavor and quality. The waitress even brought out a baked Alaska for the birthday girl. I definitely plan to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it - great service/foodTreenWVIPDined on 7/16/2014My mom and I dined here for the first time and were pleased with the wide selection of menu items. We both had cedar plank maple glazed salmon with fingerling potatoes and vegetables, served beautifully on the plank. She enjoyed the spinach salad and I the kale & quinoa salad. Our server, Jenessa, was attentive and friendly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Vault is openLars90274Dined on 7/12/2014We like the vault and regularly visit because the food is always great and fresh. The menu changes so I always find something new to try. Also, my wife is gluten intolerant, and they have a dedicated food allergy menu, which is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJcm650Dined on 7/11/2014food was very good and came out right away which almost never happens to us. our sever was kind and friendly. will diffidently come back again.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Had a great time! Such good food and amazing Sangria!! Will be back soon for sure!!Special Features:
- outstandingSonnyjDined on 7/8/2014Most on line reviews gave Vault 164 high rating I agree. My pork chop was huge yet tender My wife had the salmon and thought it was one of the best she ever had. Sides were not the"usual" and were excellent. The Baked Alaska desert was wonderful. Parked in city garage 1/2 block away. Free parking after 6:00pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and Relaxing.visitingdiners2Dined on 7/5/2014The wait people were great. We were seated immediately. Menu was varied so there were plenty of choices for all tastes. Food was good. We were in a booth, which was nice as the noise level was not too bad. No parking - so have to have valet serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food you can bank onAahzVIPDined on 7/5/2014Everything was good to excellent; the standout was the lump crab and artichoke dip. Service was good. Felt noisy but we had no trouble conversing.Special Features:
- Awesome food every time we go!MacbestVIPDined on 7/1/2014I have been here for lunch 10 times with clients. Everytime I go the same occurs: fabulous food and service! Why wouldn't i want to come back! If you like sparkling water, its free (they make their own) and sat right on the table. The brussel sprout "chips" are a must try (even if you don't think you like brussel sprouts!). The burger is amazing, the skirt steak - same. The appetizers really shine and I have had them all. Each are well thought out and extremely tasty. Try the tuna tartare; the deviled eggs are amazing! The sausage sampler is super. I can't say enough about how great this place is other than, after 10 times, I will still be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well PresentedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/30/2014The food is well presented and tasty. The bar during happy hour is packed. Different choices of food on the menu. Not your run of the mill entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional yet casual work lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014While the exterior may look intimidating and serious, like a bank in fact, inside the restaurant was open and airy. The soccer game was playing on the screen above the bar, helping to stir conversation about the World Cup. The server was pleasant, prompt and helpful giving our group of 8 enough time to choose from the menu. The orders came close to the same time and all were good. The food was casual, in spite of the businesslike surroundings and bank feel from the building's previous life. The artichoke and crab dip was wonderful and everyone also loved the tomato and garlic flat bread. The burgers and salads were also excellent. We were too full to enjoy dessert. I will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Great food, good service for the $DonnahcarmDined on 6/28/2014Our party of 4 had the wild mushroom risotto, the roast chicken, the scallops, and the salmon. No food was left on any plate at the end. Plates were plenty of food, so appetizers aren't necessary if you don't want one but are hungry. House glass wine was also good. The brussel sprout chips are a novel delicious appetiser adequate to feed four. The waiter was very attentive and seemed to truly care that we had a great experience. We overall recommend the place!
- Everything was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014Great place, extensive wine list, Brussels sprout chips were amazing, as was the kale salad, Mac and cheese, pork chop and curious George dessert!! Waitress was very helpful and attentive. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in San MateoLoveThemBsproutsDined on 6/22/2014We had a large party for a birthday and they treated us first class. The waiter was exceptional and her recommendations for wine was first class and budget sensitive. Dinner was fabulous and the let me customize my dinner choice to meet my dietary needs without making me feel like the world would end in the kitchen. After we ordered they brought us a menu and a pen so the entire group could write a special note to the person celebrating their birthday on the menu. Nice touches of friendly service, without being stuffy. Good for older kids, but I would leave the young ones at home to enjoy your adult time.Special Features:
- Good food & service, parking suckssacpubgrubDined on 6/21/2014We headed in on a Saturday night from a Foster City hotel and missed that there was a street fair going on. This is the third time I've headed to San Mateo on the weekend and to say parking sucks is way too polite. With the fair going on I ended up parking about 3/4 of a mile from the restaurant which is at the heart of downtown...maybe locals know where to park but as a visitor driving in circles around the downtown parking lot did not endear the San Mateo experience to me...Special Features:
- Good high-quality Bistro FoodFridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 6/17/2014We've decided that Vault 164 is a great high quality Bistro. There is a good range of choices, although we feel the meat may be more expertly done than the seafood. We ordered the scallops which really needed the crispy prosciutto for great flavor, but the accompanying veggies didn't do much for the dish. Also ordered was the cajun steak which was phenomenal, a much better dish overall. The service was good, drinks came a bit slower than the appetizers, but all in all a great evening and a place we regularly visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool and stylishOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/16/2014A bit more of a "scene" than other downtown San Mateo restaurants, Vault 164 offers delicious food in a stylish setting. I highly recommend the chicken as well as the spaghetti squash primavera. Pair your dinner with a cool cocktail or one of their many wines by the glass -- or, choose a delicious non-alcoholic beverage (the "no-jito" is a great pick).Special Features:
- Client LunchScottDined on 6/16/2014Took a potential client to lunch. Really enjoyed the food and we were actually able to talk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialSAM650Dined on 6/15/2014We went on the Father's Day for dinner and surprisingly it wasn't that busy as I expected. Food was OK, I even would say on the fair side. But for the special day they did not even have that special menu what some of the restaurants have. Not much choice buy away. To be fair, I would have to say the service was very good - fast and very friendly. In overall, I would say nothing special and exited which you can expect from the historic place.
- TresJohnsDined on 6/15/2014The service was very slow and I found that the side dishes were bland (I had a delicious pork chop for the main). The desserts were great.
- Delicious Food and Great ServiceKarenVIPDined on 6/14/2014I tried Vault 164 for the first time the other night and was extremely pleased. We tried the spinach salad, Poached Pear Salad and Corn and Salmon Chowder. They were all delicious and large portions. For our entrees we had the salmon, gnocchi with vine ripened tomatoes and prawns, and Spaghetti Squash Primavera. Again we were al extremely pleased with our entrees. Service was excellent. Would highly recommend Vault 164Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business luncheonJanGreDined on 6/11/2014I entertained 5 clients for lunch recently. The service was perfect and timing of the food was ideal. Our server was available, but not intrusive during my presentation. The restaurant was not overly busy (I booked an early reservation) so we were able to easily carry on a conversation without having to shout. The food was outstanding and the portions are huge. I will be back again and have already suggested this location to my colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/9/2014Average food. Steak was over cooked. Calamari was overly salty. Excellent service. Probably not going back.