Vatan Indian Restaurant
409 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Vatan Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vatanny.com/
- Phone: 2126895666
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Closed on Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties of up to 40 guests. Please call the private party contact.
- Private Party Contact: . 2126895666
A word from Vatan Indian Restaurant
Patrons will experience delicious vegetarian Indian cuisine when they dine Vatan Indian restaurant. This New York Indian restaurant's menu is very simple and delicious, serving vegetarian dishes made from only the freshest ingredients. Whether you dine on the first or second floor, this NYC vegetarian Indian restaurant offers a fun, relaxing atmosphere in which to enjoy a prix fix menu with dishes like spicy chickpeas, samosas stuffed with ground vegetables and peas and chilled mango soup. Vatan Indian Restaurant offers a prix fixe dinner menu. The entire experience is made to replicate a typical Gujurati dinner feast. At this Manhattan Indian vegetarian restaurant, you can expect friendly hospitality along with unique vegetarian cuisine. Come visit Vatan Indian Restaurant today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vatan Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)good for groups (35)special occasion (27)romantic (18)kid-friendly (12)neighborhood gem (10)scenic view (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Something's changedRAdec14Dined on 10/17/2014I went here last year and the food was amazing. between then and now, something has changed in their food. It's not as tasty anymore but I'd go there again for the unique experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014This restaurant was recommended by our friend and we were pleasantly surprised. The food was good and the unlimited refill option was unheard of! The hostess took time to explain all the dishes and was very courteous. Will surely make a visit again.Special Features:
- loramVIPDined on 10/4/2014really enjoyed the food...very flavorful and tastey. wonderful service. try the lime drinks--very refreshing.Special Features:
- Authentic Gujarat Taste4GujaratFoodiLoversDined on 9/20/2014It is a 3 course meal, the first round of appetizers can knock most us down as there is so much variety and everything is so much tasty. One has to be really hungry to eat at this restaurant. Ambiance too is great, they have tried to make it a village ambiance. I love this place.Special Features:
- Tasting menu direct to your tablePaulDined on 9/14/2014The high rounded ceilings painted with sky images are akin to top restaurants in Las Vegas. The ordering is painless; choose a drink and your dinner arrives. Twenty appetizers and main menu items are brought to your table in two separate metallic trays with dividers. The chef will season hot or mild to taste, and on our night, 9 out of every 10 dishes were delicious and interesting. Notable exception was the flavored rice, which was soft and mushy as putty.
- AjayDined on 9/14/2014Appetizers are very good. Main course is not worth for money. They have to improve main course adding more delicious items ( vegetables and deserts). Service is very good.Special Features:
- ExcellentlovefoodDined on 9/12/2014I have been here several times and I have enjoyed my dining experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ExperienceRajendraDined on 9/9/2014Took some work colleagues last week. I was really looking forward to a repeat of my last experience, which was extra-oridinary. However, even though the appetizer thali lived up to the expectations, I can not say the same about the main course Thali. The food was too "oily", didn't have the expected flavours and I felt a little acidic after having one extra poori. The other colleagues (all non-Indians) seemed to enjoy the experience though!Special Features:
- Some of the best Indian in NYAbk245Dined on 9/6/2014Came here for my birthday dinner, as it is one of my favorite Indian restaurants in the city. The care and attention that goes into the food preparation is outstanding. The space's lighting could use a little updating, as the tables are very dimly lit (but not in a cozy, intimate way). Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Indian Theme Decor & FoodlovesveggiesVIPDined on 8/28/2014Prix fixe all-you-can-eat Indian food with all choices made by chef. Decor is slightly over-the-top Disneyesque Indian. Only 7 tables. Very accommodating to a vegan diet. The food, however, was for the most part not as good as what I find in Los Angeles. But there was an excellent lentil soup, some delicious bread poofs, and the sweet, cold, blended mango dessert made for a tasty ending to the meal.
- Love itVegloverDined on 8/22/2014Very good experience - great food, quiet ambiance and we were able to have a decent time.Special Features:
- Best ThaliOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014One of the best India meals I had outside of India. Not your regular chicken tika masala.Special Features:
- Still doing well after 2 decadesGopalDined on 8/21/2014I have been a regular visitor to VATAN since the mid-late 1990s. The menu remains the same as do some of the staff. Fixed Price, 4 course dinner, starting with appetizers and ending with a cup of Indian tea. Reservations are definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Heaven for vegetarians.. Is slightly expensive but def worth for special occasions ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!yogikenDined on 8/12/2014Excellent fixed course Indian thali meal with appetizers, main course and desert. Very easy for those new to Indian cuisine. Also, extra for the asking. All of our Indian friends felt that this was the most authentic Indian restaurant they had been to in the US. All vegetarian.Special Features:
- Not-flexibleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Food quality and service is very good. However, there is only one pre-fixed option available to eat, and that costs $32 + tax and tips. This is too much food to eat for one person, and turns out to be expensive ($40/person). After eating so much food, you feel very bloated for several hours making the overall experience not so good. I suggest they provide smaller meal options for someone who is not having an appetite for so much amount of food, but still wants to eat high quality Gujarati food.Special Features:
- Very CleanLuvVatanGreatfabulous1Dined on 8/5/2014Vatan is a great vegetarian restaurant, Clean, nice, always Good.I travel the world and I always try to get to Vatan.Special Features:
- A good get togetherGumbyDined on 8/1/2014Three couples linked old college ties met for dinner on a Friday evening and had the fixed price meal. We enjoyed the food and hospitality very much and everyone was pleased - which is not always easy to do. I will go back.Special Features:
- VatanwnpveronaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Excellent variety of very tasty vegetarian Indian food. Have been to Vatan many times and it is always consistent and good.Special Features:
- Fab! Minor gripe about fixed menuDeevictualsDined on 7/26/2014Vatan has various good aspects; right from a very warm greeting to unique ambiance. Taste of food was great as well. However there shouldn't be a fixed menu or there should be an option of 2 appetizers and 2 subzis etc. Most people cannot eat 6+ appetizers and 4+ subzis. I hate to see food wasted when homeless ppl outside are starving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodKumarDined on 7/26/2014This is our third time there and the food was amazing as usual! We enjoyed the food and the time and would go there again. Knowing Indian food as we are Indians the food is very authentic and excellent!Special Features:
- Bad, sweet food - overpricedloveindianvegetarianDined on 7/26/2014Small portions, slow service, everything is sweet .. grossly overpriced
- Pleasant Birthday PartySatisfyingDined on 7/25/2014Pros: Knowledgeable waitress Delicious, fresh-prepared food Good service Different spicy options Gluten-free options Spoons available as eating utensils All you can eat Clean bathroom Cons: Main course is not spicy A little chaotic with each person's food order No music at backgroundSpecial Features:
- Different ambience!annapoornaDined on 7/22/2014It was nice to have dinner in a restaurant where one could have a conversation at the table. Spacious, with a different ambience. Food was good- especially the appetizers! The main course was okay-although the waiters did not come during the time we were eating to ask if we needed anything. So even if we wanted seconds on some items, there was nobody. Also it is quite uncomfortable to remove your shoes and try to get into the booth to be seated! Not a good design--especially for people with leg problems and ladies who are dressed for an occasion!Overall a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very inorganicInorganicDined on 7/19/2014A whole lot of food ingredients used were inorganic and plastic like artificial favors and ingredients in mango pulp; very greasy purees and other dishes that bulks up one's appetite; and if one were any so sensitive to food quality - you can sense the cutting of corners in all their dishes and offerings - meaningfully, just about every one of them.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014the 3 stars are just for the appetizers and dessert, the only good thing about the main course was the aam ras.....everything else was blahSpecial Features:
- Sumptuous Dinnerdinner4veggiesDined on 6/27/2014This place is a must go for foodies as it will blow their mind with vegetarian food assortment. Worth the money and an awesome experience.Special Features:
- The following 510 reviews are from the Vatan Indian Restaurant reviews archive.
- DeliciousspectacularDined on 6/19/2014It's not my first time eating here and it will not be my last. I love this place. Everyone is just amazingly polite and caring. I did notice the price went up but I'm ok with it for now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good experience!DomiiDoo1130Dined on 6/18/2014Had lots of fun with my boyfriend for our first time. I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian/Vegetarian DiningphotobrianDined on 6/18/2014Vatan is a wonderful Indian vegetarian restaurant. Once you walk in, you don't have to think about anything. "Any allergies?" "Do you prefer mild, medium, or hot?" "Any vegans?" The pace of dining is comfortable. as the food is brought to your table, each dish is described. Seconds are available on anything that you want. Great food. Great ambiance. Great service. Vatan will always be a "go to" for us.Special Features:
- good foodsskuDined on 6/7/2014set three course vegetarian menu. Fresh and tasty. The decor definitely needs updating.Special Features:
- used to be much betterfoodieDined on 5/30/2014We have been to this restaurant a few times and we came not only for tHe food but also for the experience. The waiters used to have beautiful outfits and were so entertaining. Both is not the case anymore. Less than average food compared to before.Special Features:
- Thali just like in india!ManhattanVillagerDined on 5/28/2014The only thing you get to choose is spiciness level here. It's a fantastic step into authentic Indian fare. Vegetarian, but you'll never miss the meat! After a month in India, this place is the only spot in New York that gets it right.Special Features:
- Great experienceKumarDined on 5/28/2014It was a fantastic experience! The ambience was excellent and the food was really good and authentic. We would go there again. The customized the food to the spiciness of our party (and one of us eats very spicy and they made it like that). The service was excellent and we would recommend it to everyone. We are from India and know the difference between authentic and more Americanized food and this one was authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!PrashantDined on 5/28/2014My wife and I have been regulars at this restaurant for 10+ years - needless to say we love the food here - it's amazing that they have managed to keep the quality and taste consistent for this long. It is a challenge to finish the quantity of food served - the variety is what we love - 6 different appetizers, 4 vegetables, fresh bread, two kinds of rice, dessert and tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy ServiceLousyDined on 5/24/2014Came to celebrate my son's 10th Birthday party, the team did not put in a single effort to make it special for the boy, instead they were rushing us out as my infant was a bit making mess on the table. The waitress even asked my 10 year old to clean up the table for her. This is ridiculous, lousy service for the price paid. Food was ok, but when requested the waitress to pack a bit of rice left over for the baby, she refused to do so. This was quite unexpected.Special Features:
- Fun Dining ExperienceGanesh1922Dined on 5/18/2014I love to take friends to Vatan who have not experienced it before. The atmosphere and seating is fun and the "indian village" setting a little exotic. The food is delicious and varied, and the waitresses make a nice presentation. The only complaint is that, if you don't take advantage of seconds, I see no reason why you cannot take home some of what you don't finish. Otherwise a nice place to come for a unique occasion and be careful not to overstuff yourself!Special Features:
- Sometimes disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014We have been to Vatan a few times and have found that the appetizer round is usually very good but the main course is often a let down. We are always excited to go there on our trips to NY but given that its $30 per head and that we are not always satisfied, we will be skipping it atleast in the short term.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good VegetariangoodvegetarianDined on 5/14/2014If you want to experience a great authentic Indian vegetarian food, this is the restaurant to go to. It has a typical Indian village decor and the service is fast and good. It is place for all you can eat fixed price 3 course services. Check it out!Special Features:
- A nice place to dine!!MakJDined on 5/14/2014Vatan has been a great place to introduce to non-Indian friends to Authentic Indian (Gujarati) food!Special Features: