Vatan Indian Restaurant
409 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Vatan Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vatanny.com/
- Phone: (212) 689-5666
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Closed on Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties of up to 40 guests. Please call the private party contact.
- Private Party Contact: . 2126895666
A word from Vatan Indian Restaurant
Patrons will experience delicious vegetarian Indian cuisine when they dine Vatan Indian restaurant. This New York Indian restaurant's menu is very simple and delicious, serving vegetarian dishes made from only the freshest ingredients. Whether you dine on the first or second floor, this NYC vegetarian Indian restaurant offers a fun, relaxing atmosphere in which to enjoy a prix fix menu with dishes like spicy chickpeas, samosas stuffed with ground vegetables and peas and chilled mango soup. Vatan Indian Restaurant offers a prix fixe dinner menu. The entire experience is made to replicate a typical Gujurati dinner feast. At this Manhattan Indian vegetarian restaurant, you can expect friendly hospitality along with unique vegetarian cuisine. Come visit Vatan Indian Restaurant today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vatan Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)good for groups (37)special occasion (31)romantic (18)neighborhood gem (16)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Expensive dinner with artificial ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Much hyped up restaurant with artificial setup. Sub-par food and poor service. Save the money and dine in at any of the other nearby "real" Indian restaurants.
- The seating arrangement is rather uncomfortable.foodfanDined on 11/16/2014Compared to the cost the variety and the items are not up to the mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gustatory DelightSandyDined on 11/13/2014Not at all your standard Indian fare, but instead, an unexpected celebration for your tastebuds and all vegetarian :-) The ambiance was visually delightful. Quiet and the staff, very attentive. I will definitely recommend & go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should allow takeoutsDesireviewerDined on 11/12/2014The appetizer portion was so huge that it almost prevented me from having the main course. My suggestion for them is to either decrease the cost and appetizer portion or allow takeouts.Special Features:
- MY FAV!PonypinupDined on 11/7/2014Everything here is great! From the ambiance to the food and service you will not be disappointed! I LOVE to bring out of town visitors here. All of the food is vegetarian and delicious! I've been coming here for over 12 years.Special Features:
- Great food and super serviceMithaksharaDined on 11/6/2014We were served a great selection of food and offered as many refills of our favorite menu items as we wished. Brought me back to some great memories of India and my college days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spice loverlovefoodDined on 10/31/2014I never have any complaints about this restaurant. It is my favorite Indian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diwali dinnerepthDined on 10/26/2014Celebrated our family diwali and New Year (gujerati) here. Too many items- a few lessor varieties/choices with a corresponding a lower price would make it a gem! Some servers were visiting their tables often; ours kept her visits to the minimumSpecial Features:
- We live for food!!!LisaandFG2Dined on 10/25/2014We went to this restaurant after hearing about it from someone from India. Very authentic food and a lot of it. Do not eat the day you eat here! Wait staff describes every dish - there are 19 total different dishes and you get all of them. Wait staff will bring you more of anything you want and as much as you want. TOTALLY worth the trip- delicious!Special Features:
- Expensive and hypedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The place caters to Gujarati food. Sweets are just limited to kheer and mango ice cream , there are lots if better choices if sweets. Even the food was not so impressive . Same home food in a thali ... There are such special Gujarati foods that were not included . We went for Gujarati food and Diwali occasion but wasn't impressed . For the cost the wine served was pathetic .Special Features:
- Great ambience and foodMishraDined on 10/24/2014Vatan offers the most authentic indiAn thali experience . The flavors and palette has not been adjusted and hence is a perfect choice for delicious authentic Indian food. The ambiance and great service makes the experience worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie ParadiseReshDined on 10/23/2014It's tough to get an all vegetarian meal that doesn't get boring but this is one of them. It was great, exciting options served on very authentic Indian plateware. Go for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPrisDined on 10/23/2014The food was good... We were really stuffed by the time we left :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencefrivolousat28Dined on 10/21/2014Its definitely about the experience & the food here. Loved it and would definitely recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something's changedRAdec14Dined on 10/17/2014I went here last year and the food was amazing. between then and now, something has changed in their food. It's not as tasty anymore but I'd go there again for the unique experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014This restaurant was recommended by our friend and we were pleasantly surprised. The food was good and the unlimited refill option was unheard of! The hostess took time to explain all the dishes and was very courteous. Will surely make a visit again.Special Features:
- loramVIPDined on 10/4/2014really enjoyed the food...very flavorful and tastey. wonderful service. try the lime drinks--very refreshing.Special Features:
- Authentic Gujarat Taste4GujaratFoodiLoversDined on 9/20/2014It is a 3 course meal, the first round of appetizers can knock most us down as there is so much variety and everything is so much tasty. One has to be really hungry to eat at this restaurant. Ambiance too is great, they have tried to make it a village ambiance. I love this place.Special Features:
- Tasting menu direct to your tablePaulVIPDined on 9/14/2014The high rounded ceilings painted with sky images are akin to top restaurants in Las Vegas. The ordering is painless; choose a drink and your dinner arrives. Twenty appetizers and main menu items are brought to your table in two separate metallic trays with dividers. The chef will season hot or mild to taste, and on our night, 9 out of every 10 dishes were delicious and interesting. Notable exception was the flavored rice, which was soft and mushy as putty.
- AjayDined on 9/14/2014Appetizers are very good. Main course is not worth for money. They have to improve main course adding more delicious items ( vegetables and deserts). Service is very good.Special Features:
- ExcellentlovefoodDined on 9/12/2014I have been here several times and I have enjoyed my dining experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ExperienceRajendraDined on 9/9/2014Took some work colleagues last week. I was really looking forward to a repeat of my last experience, which was extra-oridinary. However, even though the appetizer thali lived up to the expectations, I can not say the same about the main course Thali. The food was too "oily", didn't have the expected flavours and I felt a little acidic after having one extra poori. The other colleagues (all non-Indians) seemed to enjoy the experience though!Special Features:
- Some of the best Indian in NYAbk245Dined on 9/6/2014Came here for my birthday dinner, as it is one of my favorite Indian restaurants in the city. The care and attention that goes into the food preparation is outstanding. The space's lighting could use a little updating, as the tables are very dimly lit (but not in a cozy, intimate way). Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Indian Theme Decor & FoodlovesveggiesVIPDined on 8/28/2014Prix fixe all-you-can-eat Indian food with all choices made by chef. Decor is slightly over-the-top Disneyesque Indian. Only 7 tables. Very accommodating to a vegan diet. The food, however, was for the most part not as good as what I find in Los Angeles. But there was an excellent lentil soup, some delicious bread poofs, and the sweet, cold, blended mango dessert made for a tasty ending to the meal.
- Love itVegloverDined on 8/22/2014Very good experience - great food, quiet ambiance and we were able to have a decent time.Special Features:
- Best ThaliOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014One of the best India meals I had outside of India. Not your regular chicken tika masala.Special Features:
- Still doing well after 2 decadesGopalDined on 8/21/2014I have been a regular visitor to VATAN since the mid-late 1990s. The menu remains the same as do some of the staff. Fixed Price, 4 course dinner, starting with appetizers and ending with a cup of Indian tea. Reservations are definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Heaven for vegetarians.. Is slightly expensive but def worth for special occasions ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!yogikenDined on 8/12/2014Excellent fixed course Indian thali meal with appetizers, main course and desert. Very easy for those new to Indian cuisine. Also, extra for the asking. All of our Indian friends felt that this was the most authentic Indian restaurant they had been to in the US. All vegetarian.Special Features:
- Not-flexibleOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/10/2014Food quality and service is very good. However, there is only one pre-fixed option available to eat, and that costs $32 + tax and tips. This is too much food to eat for one person, and turns out to be expensive ($40/person). After eating so much food, you feel very bloated for several hours making the overall experience not so good. I suggest they provide smaller meal options for someone who is not having an appetite for so much amount of food, but still wants to eat high quality Gujarati food.Special Features:
- Very CleanLuvVatanGreatfabulous1Dined on 8/5/2014Vatan is a great vegetarian restaurant, Clean, nice, always Good.I travel the world and I always try to get to Vatan.Special Features:
- A good get togetherGumbyDined on 8/1/2014Three couples linked old college ties met for dinner on a Friday evening and had the fixed price meal. We enjoyed the food and hospitality very much and everyone was pleased - which is not always easy to do. I will go back.Special Features:
- VatanwnpveronaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Excellent variety of very tasty vegetarian Indian food. Have been to Vatan many times and it is always consistent and good.Special Features:
- Fab! Minor gripe about fixed menuDeevictualsDined on 7/26/2014Vatan has various good aspects; right from a very warm greeting to unique ambiance. Taste of food was great as well. However there shouldn't be a fixed menu or there should be an option of 2 appetizers and 2 subzis etc. Most people cannot eat 6+ appetizers and 4+ subzis. I hate to see food wasted when homeless ppl outside are starving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 517 reviews are from the Vatan Indian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent FoodKumarDined on 7/26/2014This is our third time there and the food was amazing as usual! We enjoyed the food and the time and would go there again. Knowing Indian food as we are Indians the food is very authentic and excellent!Special Features:
- Bad, sweet food - overpricedloveindianvegetarianDined on 7/26/2014Small portions, slow service, everything is sweet .. grossly overpriced
- Pleasant Birthday PartySatisfyingDined on 7/25/2014Pros: Knowledgeable waitress Delicious, fresh-prepared food Good service Different spicy options Gluten-free options Spoons available as eating utensils All you can eat Clean bathroom Cons: Main course is not spicy A little chaotic with each person's food order No music at backgroundSpecial Features:
- Different ambience!annapoornaDined on 7/22/2014It was nice to have dinner in a restaurant where one could have a conversation at the table. Spacious, with a different ambience. Food was good- especially the appetizers! The main course was okay-although the waiters did not come during the time we were eating to ask if we needed anything. So even if we wanted seconds on some items, there was nobody. Also it is quite uncomfortable to remove your shoes and try to get into the booth to be seated! Not a good design--especially for people with leg problems and ladies who are dressed for an occasion!Overall a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very inorganicInorganicDined on 7/19/2014A whole lot of food ingredients used were inorganic and plastic like artificial favors and ingredients in mango pulp; very greasy purees and other dishes that bulks up one's appetite; and if one were any so sensitive to food quality - you can sense the cutting of corners in all their dishes and offerings - meaningfully, just about every one of them.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014the 3 stars are just for the appetizers and dessert, the only good thing about the main course was the aam ras.....everything else was blahSpecial Features: