Vatan Indian Restaurant
409 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Vatan Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vatanny.com/
- Phone: 2126895666
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Closed on Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties of up to 40 guests. Please call the private party contact.
- Private Party Contact: . 2126895666
A word from Vatan Indian Restaurant
Patrons will experience delicious vegetarian Indian cuisine when they dine Vatan Indian restaurant. This New York Indian restaurant's menu is very simple and delicious, serving vegetarian dishes made from only the freshest ingredients. Whether you dine on the first or second floor, this NYC vegetarian Indian restaurant offers a fun, relaxing atmosphere in which to enjoy a prix fix menu with dishes like spicy chickpeas, samosas stuffed with ground vegetables and peas and chilled mango soup. Vatan Indian Restaurant offers a prix fixe dinner menu. The entire experience is made to replicate a typical Gujurati dinner feast. At this Manhattan Indian vegetarian restaurant, you can expect friendly hospitality along with unique vegetarian cuisine. Come visit Vatan Indian Restaurant today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vatan Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (36)fit for foodies (35)special occasion (27)romantic (20)kid-friendly (17)neighborhood gem (11)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Indian Theme Decor & FoodlovesveggiesVIPDined on 8/28/2014Prix fixe all-you-can-eat Indian food with all choices made by chef. Decor is slightly over-the-top Disneyesque Indian. Only 7 tables. Very accommodating to a vegan diet. The food, however, was for the most part not as good as what I find in Los Angeles. But there was an excellent lentil soup, some delicious bread poofs, and the sweet, cold, blended mango dessert made for a tasty ending to the meal.
- Love itVegloverDined on 8/22/2014Very good experience - great food, quiet ambiance and we were able to have a decent time.Special Features:
- Best ThaliOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014One of the best India meals I had outside of India. Not your regular chicken tika masala.Special Features:
- Still doing well after 2 decadesGopalDined on 8/21/2014I have been a regular visitor to VATAN since the mid-late 1990s. The menu remains the same as do some of the staff. Fixed Price, 4 course dinner, starting with appetizers and ending with a cup of Indian tea. Reservations are definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Heaven for vegetarians.. Is slightly expensive but def worth for special occasions ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!yogikenDined on 8/12/2014Excellent fixed course Indian thali meal with appetizers, main course and desert. Very easy for those new to Indian cuisine. Also, extra for the asking. All of our Indian friends felt that this was the most authentic Indian restaurant they had been to in the US. All vegetarian.Special Features:
- Very CleanLuvVatanGreatfabulous1Dined on 8/5/2014Vatan is a great vegetarian restaurant, Clean, nice, always Good.I travel the world and I always try to get to Vatan.Special Features:
- A good get togetherGumbyDined on 8/1/2014Three couples linked old college ties met for dinner on a Friday evening and had the fixed price meal. We enjoyed the food and hospitality very much and everyone was pleased - which is not always easy to do. I will go back.Special Features:
- VatanwnpveronaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Excellent variety of very tasty vegetarian Indian food. Have been to Vatan many times and it is always consistent and good.Special Features:
- Fab! Minor gripe about fixed menuDeevictualsDined on 7/26/2014Vatan has various good aspects; right from a very warm greeting to unique ambiance. Taste of food was great as well. However there shouldn't be a fixed menu or there should be an option of 2 appetizers and 2 subzis etc. Most people cannot eat 6+ appetizers and 4+ subzis. I hate to see food wasted when homeless ppl outside are starving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodKumarDined on 7/26/2014This is our third time there and the food was amazing as usual! We enjoyed the food and the time and would go there again. Knowing Indian food as we are Indians the food is very authentic and excellent!Special Features:
- Bad, sweet food - overpricedloveindianvegetarianDined on 7/26/2014Small portions, slow service, everything is sweet .. grossly overpriced
- Pleasant Birthday PartySatisfyingDined on 7/25/2014Pros: Knowledgeable waitress Delicious, fresh-prepared food Good service Different spicy options Gluten-free options Spoons available as eating utensils All you can eat Clean bathroom Cons: Main course is not spicy A little chaotic with each person's food order No music at backgroundSpecial Features:
- Different ambience!annapoornaDined on 7/22/2014It was nice to have dinner in a restaurant where one could have a conversation at the table. Spacious, with a different ambience. Food was good- especially the appetizers! The main course was okay-although the waiters did not come during the time we were eating to ask if we needed anything. So even if we wanted seconds on some items, there was nobody. Also it is quite uncomfortable to remove your shoes and try to get into the booth to be seated! Not a good design--especially for people with leg problems and ladies who are dressed for an occasion!Overall a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very inorganicInorganicDined on 7/19/2014A whole lot of food ingredients used were inorganic and plastic like artificial favors and ingredients in mango pulp; very greasy purees and other dishes that bulks up one's appetite; and if one were any so sensitive to food quality - you can sense the cutting of corners in all their dishes and offerings - meaningfully, just about every one of them.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014the 3 stars are just for the appetizers and dessert, the only good thing about the main course was the aam ras.....everything else was blahSpecial Features:
- Sumptuous Dinnerdinner4veggiesDined on 6/27/2014This place is a must go for foodies as it will blow their mind with vegetarian food assortment. Worth the money and an awesome experience.Special Features:
- DeliciousspectacularDined on 6/19/2014It's not my first time eating here and it will not be my last. I love this place. Everyone is just amazingly polite and caring. I did notice the price went up but I'm ok with it for now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good experience!DomiiDoo1130Dined on 6/18/2014Had lots of fun with my boyfriend for our first time. I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian/Vegetarian DiningphotobrianDined on 6/18/2014Vatan is a wonderful Indian vegetarian restaurant. Once you walk in, you don't have to think about anything. "Any allergies?" "Do you prefer mild, medium, or hot?" "Any vegans?" The pace of dining is comfortable. as the food is brought to your table, each dish is described. Seconds are available on anything that you want. Great food. Great ambiance. Great service. Vatan will always be a "go to" for us.Special Features:
- good foodsskuDined on 6/7/2014set three course vegetarian menu. Fresh and tasty. The decor definitely needs updating.Special Features:
- used to be much betterfoodieDined on 5/30/2014We have been to this restaurant a few times and we came not only for tHe food but also for the experience. The waiters used to have beautiful outfits and were so entertaining. Both is not the case anymore. Less than average food compared to before.Special Features:
- Thali just like in india!ManhattanVillagerDined on 5/28/2014The only thing you get to choose is spiciness level here. It's a fantastic step into authentic Indian fare. Vegetarian, but you'll never miss the meat! After a month in India, this place is the only spot in New York that gets it right.Special Features:
- Great experienceKumarDined on 5/28/2014It was a fantastic experience! The ambience was excellent and the food was really good and authentic. We would go there again. The customized the food to the spiciness of our party (and one of us eats very spicy and they made it like that). The service was excellent and we would recommend it to everyone. We are from India and know the difference between authentic and more Americanized food and this one was authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!PrashantDined on 5/28/2014My wife and I have been regulars at this restaurant for 10+ years - needless to say we love the food here - it's amazing that they have managed to keep the quality and taste consistent for this long. It is a challenge to finish the quantity of food served - the variety is what we love - 6 different appetizers, 4 vegetables, fresh bread, two kinds of rice, dessert and tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy ServiceLousyDined on 5/24/2014Came to celebrate my son's 10th Birthday party, the team did not put in a single effort to make it special for the boy, instead they were rushing us out as my infant was a bit making mess on the table. The waitress even asked my 10 year old to clean up the table for her. This is ridiculous, lousy service for the price paid. Food was ok, but when requested the waitress to pack a bit of rice left over for the baby, she refused to do so. This was quite unexpected.Special Features:
- Fun Dining ExperienceGanesh1922Dined on 5/18/2014I love to take friends to Vatan who have not experienced it before. The atmosphere and seating is fun and the "indian village" setting a little exotic. The food is delicious and varied, and the waitresses make a nice presentation. The only complaint is that, if you don't take advantage of seconds, I see no reason why you cannot take home some of what you don't finish. Otherwise a nice place to come for a unique occasion and be careful not to overstuff yourself!Special Features:
- Sometimes disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014We have been to Vatan a few times and have found that the appetizer round is usually very good but the main course is often a let down. We are always excited to go there on our trips to NY but given that its $30 per head and that we are not always satisfied, we will be skipping it atleast in the short term.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good VegetariangoodvegetarianDined on 5/14/2014If you want to experience a great authentic Indian vegetarian food, this is the restaurant to go to. It has a typical Indian village decor and the service is fast and good. It is place for all you can eat fixed price 3 course services. Check it out!Special Features:
- A nice place to dine!!MakJDined on 5/14/2014Vatan has been a great place to introduce to non-Indian friends to Authentic Indian (Gujarati) food!Special Features:
- Best Gujarati Food in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/13/2014I cannot say enough about the food here. I cleaned up each of the dishes and even had space for seconds. Absolutely delicious and I am positive that I will bring my family and friends back here multiple times in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very spicy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014Even after asking the waiter for very mild food...the food was so hot I could only eat one thing. The place looks nice but the way the food is served is more like a cafeteria then a restaurant.
- Great Experience!MakJDined on 5/8/2014The restaurant has it's charm and the food is excellent, very authentic Gujarati cusisine. I had my colleague from Honolulu, who also really enjoyed the food! We will return back next time the hawaiin group comes over to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 494 reviews are from the Vatan Indian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Vegetarian need not be healthyNumber618VIPDined on 4/12/2014Very different from the vegetarian fare in the usual Indian restaurants in NYC. As a non vegetarian I thought the dishes were insubstantial and too oddly spiced. Most things are fried or have unpleasant textures. There are liquids that are filled with reflux unfriendly spices. The restaurant's food is proof that vegetarian does not have to be healthy. I like Indian food in general but I'll stay clear of this one.
- Come hungryatb20Dined on 4/1/2014Some of the best Indian food in the city. The appetizers are amazing. And I love that you don't have to make any decisions. They just start bringing you your meal. Yummy!Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Vatan is an authentic representation of Gujarathi food and Indian dining with the right village ambience in NYC. What more can one ask for? Large amounts of food for a fixed price .... people who have large appetites can truly get their bang for the buck.Special Features:
- Starters!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014The starters were outstanding!!! The service and ambience was amazing too!! The main course was sad!! We requested for "Indian spicy" and we got something on the other end of the spectrum!!! The puris were not hot! Vegetables were bland. Desert was awesome!Special Features:
- nice folks, nice room, meh foodBeenThereEtThatDined on 3/14/2014Great indian decor and charming, polite service distinguish an otherwise pedestrian veggie meal
- amazingtracDined on 3/9/2014the food is incredible. you will want to go there very hungry and pace yourself. its a place for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique place great foodNomnomDined on 3/7/2014Vatan has such a unique vibe and the food is delicious! definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.