108 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://vasoazzurro.com/
- Phone: (650) 940-1717
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Hasan Yildiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Vaso Azzurro
We are known for our authentic and fresh Northern Italian fare made daily with only the finest ingredients. With a variety of satisfying and unique dishes, we have something for every type of taste preferences. Our "feel at home" staff and intimate atmosphere filled with upscale Mediterranean decor makes us a great place to take a date or the whole family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vaso Azzurro reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (21)great for outdoor dining (20)special occasion (16)good for groups (14)romantic (8)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- so noisy and disruptivenothingfancyDined on 5/17/2014Owner is friendly. Waiters look cranky. When the wrong salad was brought out, the waiter questioned us then it took 15 minutes to get a Caesar. We asked for bread 3 times and were told it was baking even tho atleast 5 baskets came out before ours and it was cold. Really? The food was ok. Not worth the price and the online menu was so much lower than the actual. The freaky part was when this old lady came out and interrupted our dinner to gush over us and freak out my 92 year old mother by kissing her. Might be ok for regulars but we won't be back.Special Features:
- FOOD NIGHTiolavolaVIPDined on 5/16/2014We enjoyed the food very much and the service was really good. However, the owners were a little too visible, visiting tables and proclaiming "love." Just a little too much and it interferred with our dining somewhat. However, we will go there again and have been there before. Liked it then, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IsaacDined on 5/11/2014Mid level italian restaurant. Friendly stuffs but the food wasn't great.
- Singing owners!OpsmanDined on 5/11/2014This is a great place for a date or special occasion dining. We love to go here. The owners are very nice and the staff is extra attentive. Often there is a two piece sax and base band playing Italian songs and the owners or staff love to join in and sing. Fun night for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italy in Mountain View!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014Wonderful! And when you are there on a "special night" the owner is known to provide a great touch of entertainment, Italy brought to you......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shirlVIPDined on 4/27/2014another nice dining experience, although disappointed in the quality of the veal. unusual for me at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemDiningdiva24Dined on 4/27/2014Love the friendly service, the pretty atmosphere and tasty cocktails. The food is very good but oh so salty. Otherwise, a wonderful experience. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Dining in Mama's HomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014The food was fantastic, and Mama came around frequently to make sure you enjoyed your meal and were getting everything you asked for. There was a tad bit of confusion when we arrived, as the earlier tables were lingering (so we had to wait about 15 minutes past our reservation). The hosts were very apologetic, and what's a few minutes when you'll be getting an outstanding dinner? My husband got the roast chicken special and I got the lamb chops. Both were cooked to perfection and absolutely to die for. The garlic/olive oil bread dip was delicious as well. Other customers were eager to share their favorite dishes with us (mushroom ravioli with pink sauce), and everyone was so friendly. It was our first visit there, it won't be our last.Special Features:
- Treated like royaltyHostingVisitorsDined on 4/24/2014My family of 6 went for a birthday dinner. We brought the 3 year old and ate at 7:00. Potentially not a good scenario as it's late for her. The staff went out of their way to take care of her (and so made our evening easier) and sang a lovely happy birthday to grandpa. We had some high-maintenance eaters (not including the toddler). One vegan and one gluten free patron in our group. It went well and everyone was happy.Special Features:
- Good food, but awful serviceBH212VIPDined on 4/11/2014My girlfriend and I went here for dinner on a Friday evening and left unimpressed, which is unfortunate in some respects because the food was very good. That said, the service rates among the worst I can remember. First, the waiter rushed to get our orders before we had time to look at the menu, even though the restaurant wasn't crowded and he was not overly busy. Second, the timing in serving our courses was horrendous - we ordered three courses and both the second and third course were brought to the table before we finished the prior course. Third, with each new course, the waiter failed to bring new silverware and was generally inattentive throughout the evening. The atmosphere is ok if you like live music, but I doubt we return.
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014Our group of 6 enjoyed delicious food, outstanding service, lovely live jazz music and excellent desserts and after dinner drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is consistent, butSunnyvaleGDined on 4/4/2014The food is consistent, but what makes this restaurant are the owners and staff. They make you feel very welcome and almost guarantee you a good time..Special Features:
- Fun, Energetic Dinner ExperienceLilySDined on 4/4/2014The food at Vaso Azzurro is very good and the menu selection is excellent (something for everyone). I had the Seafood risotto, and it was fresh and delicious. I don't know if this happens every night, but I was dining on Friday night and there is live jazz music and lots of spontaneous singing (anniversaries, birthdays). The atmosphere was loud and fun; almost like dinner and a show. If you want a quiet, romantic dinner, this is not the spot for you.Special Features:
- Great food and the servicelilaVDined on 4/4/2014The food and service was excellent. I will recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experience in a restaurantRUTHYKVIPDined on 4/3/2014We had eaten there many times with good results. Last evening was a nightmare. Twice, before we had finished our dinner a waiter removed our silverware and bread. We had to recall them. The food for all of us was awful. My veal was like the sole of my shoe. The singer interrupted our conversation at least twice. It was as though all the staff was under a spell. Afraid to ever go back.
- Awesome!Jenwilli2Dined on 3/23/2014This was so much fun. We came for my moms bday and it was just perfect! Great service, Michael was amazing and funny. Such a talented singer also. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service,Evita1VIPDined on 3/22/2014Good food, great service, will definitely return for more,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went with a small group afterElihuDined on 3/4/2014Went with a small group after reading favorable reviews on Yelp. Restaurant decor was nice, food was at best average for price, service was slow and inattentive. Seemed like the waiter had too many tables to cover, while a plethora of busboys stood around. There are too many good restaurants to waste time and money here.
- Food is good but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014I requested for a birthday song for my 13yr old in the opentable reservation notes. It got completely ignored. The next table over did get a nice birthday rendition. May be they don't read the comments section from opentable:( Food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceDeDeMDined on 2/16/2014I took some friends to Vaso Azzurro for dinner after having a relatively positive experience a couple months ago. Unfortunately, this time, the food was disappointing. The porcine crusted halibut was overcooked by the time it came to the table, and the flavoring was bland. The sauce was too thick and rich. The restaurant itself was very noisy, which isn't unusual. However, in an extremely noisy restaurant you wouldn't expect the maitre d' to jump up in the middle of dinner and bellow into a microphone. Even that would have been OK if he didn't think that he needed to sing loud enough to drown out conversation. I was embarrassed that I had suggested the place to my friends. I left the restaurant with a headache and indigestion.
- Valentine's Eve DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/13/2014Had a wonderful, reasonably priced dinner for two, and the wait staff was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we felt like honored guestsEllenBVIPDined on 2/8/2014everybody was warm and friendly. The food was delicious. But the best part was the singing maitre de!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place with a veryRdcruDined on 2/1/2014Amazing place with a very warm and personable staff. The good is great, the ambiance is great. The only problem is that there aren't more places like this. You must try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, surly waiterkatoVIPDined on 1/27/2014I took someone here for lunch. And because it was early, it was quiet and easy to talk. The waiter acted like we were bothering him, that he had other stuff to do. The food was very good and the restaurant prettySpecial Features:
- Wonderful service & great food!EjayDined on 1/24/2014The food, atmosphere & service was excellent! Definitely a great place to bring friends for a night of good food & company. I must warn you though that the place can get really loud & conversation can become a shouting match! But when with your friends it just adds to the fun. Reservation is a MUST the place is packed. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, Love, LoveVBatlasVIPDined on 1/22/2014This has become one of my favorite Italian restaurants. It is family owned and run ..... even mama Vaso walks around greeting and making sure everything is perfect. The food is fantastic. Go on a Friday or Saturday evening when they have music and someone in the family is singing! But don't forget to make a reservation ...... it's a favorite for a lot of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!FoodsmythingDined on 1/16/2014We had a group of 9 women for dinner to celebrate a birthday. The food was delicious and the service was awesome. We loved the singing maitre d!Special Features:
- Authentic Italian restaurant!VictorDined on 1/12/2014I went there on my birthday and I must say its one of the best authentic Italian restaurants in bay area. The staff was very friendly and the service was great! They have a huge vegetarian selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live jazz and good foodMarkRVIPDined on 1/10/2014At Vaso Azzurro, I often find that the meal starts off great (the focaccia with the garlicky oil is fanstastic!), but the entrees often turn out to be not as good as the bread. I'm still searching for the right savory entree. It's very good, mind you, but just not excellent. However, the terrific service and live jazz music on Friday nights often bring me back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- we had early dinner at 5:45OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2014we had early dinner at 5:45 and had great service. food was greatSpecial Features:
- Happy New YearBfromCAVIPDined on 12/31/2013We enjoyed a nice dinner with friends on New Years Eve. The jazz music was delightful and Michael's voice carried opera tunes through the restaurant. I do feel the Italian vibrancy in this special place. The choices of the New Years Menu were varied and all four of us enjoyed our picks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intentionally harshHomieVIPDined on 12/14/2013I work on Castro St. and Vaso Azzurro is the only place that has a chance of being a quality Italian dining experience. Saturday night the Veal Piccata was more than a little chewy…come on, this is a staple dish that must be near perfect at any decent Italian restaurant. It's not a special or complicated…you order it when you want something you know will be great. A few improvements and this place can get top marks…I suggest: more emphasis on the freshest and best ingredients; emphasize house made pastas; dial down the stress level of the service staff…I know it's Holiday, but, go scream in the kitchen where you can channel Gordon Ramsey…leave us diners feel like it's a well oiled machine out there. We need you to light up Castro St.Special Features:
- Hit and miss on food and service.JoeyDined on 12/1/2013First time here and I was looking for a tasty, well-prepared Italian meal. I ordered the risotto with seafood. It was othing more than yellow rice with your standard few scallops and peeled shrimp. It didn't have the creamy risotto texture I was hoping for. One of my sons had pasta with seafood (mussels, clams, etc.,), which was so-so. My wife and other son had carbonara, which was quite good. So hit and miss on the food. Service was hit and miss as well. The waiter was nice enough when he greeted us and took our order. But he never checked on us during our meal and forgot to bring the salad we ordered with the appetizer. I was also not impressed that he didn't recall the price of the evening special when I asked him.
- Great for lunch or dinnerTasteTouristDined on 11/25/2013Very good Italian food in a casual atmosphere. Service is excellent.Special Features:
- Best italian in mountain viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/24/2013Really love this restaurant. Great standard menu and always have a few nice specials. The veal chop this trip was excellent, everyone in the group had a good time. Only slight miss was a few minutes of wait after initial seating, but was recognize, sincere apology given, and excellent servic ute remainder of the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedIrvSDined on 11/24/20132 of the 4 dishes were surprisingly disappointing compared with our previous experiences at this restaurant. Does Vaso have a new chef? However, the 2 dishes that were specials were deemed excellent and the service was very good. We will probably give it another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyTastelifeDined on 10/12/2013The experience was very enjoyable. The bread and olive oil was spectacular, and the food was filling and satisfying. It was pretty packed on a Saturday evening but worth the reservation. The staff was nice but seemed preoccupied, probably because it was so busy. I would go again to try some other tasty dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad musicShadowOfaDancerDined on 10/12/2013The food is AMAZING! Not super heavy or rich, which I don't care for, but very savory. They have a nice wine list but are a tad old fashion in the fact that the only ask the man's opinion on what the table would like. Now if your significant other knows wine this isn't a problem but when they don't it might be. I had to be a little more stern then I would have liked when asking the waiter to show me the list instead. Overall the service was excellent My biggest issue was actually the music. They had a cello and saxophone walking around playing live which would have been awesome had they both been playing on the same key. With my boyfriend and I both being quite musical this bothered us quite a lot. But as I said before, the food is AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended, just a little noisyWhoKnowsDined on 10/11/2013This was a great small and cozy restaurant. The calamari appetizer was very good and the portion size was actually decent. I had the Scallopini di Vitello (veal) and I thought it was delicious and filling. My girlfriend and I enjoyed this place and thought the energetic music and singing from the staff added pleasantly to the atmosphere, though it was a little loud at times. The price is reasonable, too. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Almost perfectMondyVIPDined on 10/8/2013This is a wonderful restaurant, the service is amazing. I think we were waited on by at least 6 people even the bar tender came out to see if he could help us. THe meal was very good my only complaint was that the lamb was slightly over done. I do mean slightly. I would like to see more selections by the glass on the wine list but overall it was a very fine experience. I will be back soon.Special Features: