30 North Spruce Street
Ramsey, NJ 07446Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varkarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2019959333
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: George Georgiades
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties with up to 75 guests can be accommodated.
- Private Party Contact: Stavros 2019959333
A word from Varka Fishhouse
Varka is a Mediterranean fish house located in the heart of downtown Ramsey. They offer fish by the pound from all parts of the world, plus Greek specialties and Black Angus steak house selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Varka Fishhouse - Best Restaurants in Ramsey ›
Varka Fishhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (53)great for outdoor dining (52)romantic (38)good for groups (36)great for lunch (27)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (25)notable wine list (21)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fabulous Food in my hometownOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014I've been going to VARKA since it opened it's doors - it only gets better. If I had to choose my favorites: Apps: Shrimp Santorini, Grilled Octopus Salad and the Roasted Beets w/Skordalia, and of course the VARKA Chips - just WOW. Entrees - The diver scallops, Plaki (Sea Bass) fresh and flaky in a lovely sauce, and the Greek Shrimp Scampi - served with a Risotto that was better than some of my dad's favorite Italian spots. Overall - amazing meal....go spend the money - well worth it. The staff is wonderful!! We go at least 3x a month for lunch - unfortunately I don't get there for dinner all that often since I live up in Orange County - but I send a lot of my execs. there. ENJOYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Love the octopus, grape leaves, and langoustines! Stavros, the waiter is very attentive and well informed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatFoodieForLife29VIPDined on 9/13/2014This has become one of our favorite "special occasion" restaurants because you can always count on fantastic food and wonderful service. They've never disappointed us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureJamesVIPDined on 9/10/2014Very consistent fresh well prepared food. Great seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/6/2014This was the second time the 4 of us have been to Varka - Will be going a third time. noise level is very energetic!Special Features:
- dennisDined on 9/6/2014our waiter was excellent the food also we had a great timeSpecial Features:
- JGForeverJGForeverDined on 9/6/2014Never disappointed in the fabulous fare of Varka Estiatorio that transports us to Santorini. I could enjoy the charcoal grilled octopus with red and yellow roasted Holland peppers every week! Despite the noise level, and one unruly child screaming at our next table, we still love dining here - inside and outside. But, this time, the wait time for our main meal was interminable!
- Very nice but a bit over-pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Can get the same very good Ambiance, food and service at a more reasonable price.Special Features:
- Tasty butOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014Such a difficult choice to make with all those tasty sounding fish dishes....I opted for the tuna which is a huge favorite of mine. It was quite tasty while dining but I found myself ill within a few hours. I would think twice before returning.Special Features:
- Out door seatingluv2etasDined on 8/29/2014I requested an outdoor table upon my arrival. Even though 50% of the tables were available I was told that they were all booked for that hour. One hour later, after finishing my meal indoors, I noticed that several tables were still empty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good pricey fresh fish restaurantpowderpuffVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is fresh and seasoned perfectly. The portions are good,but the price is a little high. If you don't mind spending a little more than the average for a good northern nj restaurant, this is a restaurant with good food, nice happening atmosphere and good service.Special Features:
- Decent Food... Fair ServiceBIGBEDined on 8/16/2014I dine all over the Tri-State area from Philly to NYC so I know the good the bad and the ugly pretty well. The food was good, menu was diverse as seafood goes. My date ordered the special and I ordered Halibat. That part was great as were the drinks. Problem was three members of the staff about five minutes apart inquired about our preference for water on the table. After 20 minutes nobody showed up with water! Get it together staff. Eventually head waiter took care of us and admonished the staff. Also no one appeared to ask how our food was or if I wanted another drink. Hey am I chopped liver over here? For the price expect better service. It's not cheap, even for Bergen County. It was a Saturday night so I will give them a 2nd chance.Special Features:
- Varka must be "excellence" in GreekIglypopDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary dinner this past Friday evening. This is our "go to place" for special occasions. The experience was outstanding. The service was excellent as always; extremely attentive, but not intrusive. We were seated promptly, and did not feel the least bit rushed throughout the entire meal. The food was absolutely delicious. We have never had a meal here that we haven't thoroughly enjoyed. The drinks were also excellent. My wife ordered a Cosmo, and the drink that was delivered was a work of art. It looked so good that I was drawn to it and had to try a taste of it. I recommend this restaurant to anyone seeking an excellent meal with impeccable service and an overall superior dining experience.Special Features:
- Always consistently great!!!RandiVIPDined on 8/9/2014One of our favorite restaurants. It is on par to any NYC top mediterarian restaurants. We were saying that it is actually better than Milos! Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great langoustines!JerseyGirlDined on 8/8/2014My husband & I love to dine here, it is absolutely awesome! We always get the grilled octopus appetizer and a plate of langoustines.Special Features:
- NanaVIPDined on 8/3/2014As always we loved our evening at Varka....food, service, atmosphere....everything just right. Our fish and wine were excellent and we look forward to returning for our next great dinner!!!Special Features:
- DisappointedMartinRDined on 8/2/2014Dear Manager, I have been in the wine and restaurant industry for 20 years and I was really looking forward to go the this restaurant. Food was good, services was OK, I felt like the every time the bring something to the table they "through" it, like in a rush, they were probably short of staff. Buy the way it really set the tone... Private message Very disappointed. Mart
- divine dinnerLisaDined on 8/1/2014Every bite was divine! I love, love, love the octopus appetizer and order it for dinner all the time. It never disappoints. My husband usually orders the special, which was a delicious grouper dish on this occasion. We had room for dessert and tried the phyllo wrapped custard for the first time - YUM!Special Features:
- great food as alwaysShawnDined on 7/31/2014We always have a great meal at Varka. The Varka chips are still awesome as is the octopus appetizer. We experimented this time with the greek white wines which were very yummy. As always, the fish is excellent and cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Best Kept Secret in NJway2fullDined on 7/31/2014People... don't go.... If you go, then I will have to fight you for the best fish in NJ... Last Night: two of us ate 4 pounds of Langostines, a pound of godzilla size shrimp, a lobster, oysters... EPIC Meal. I love this place, have been there numerous times and they never disappoint. Easy win for a romantic or business dinner. One of my favorites in the NY Metro.Special Features:
- ExcellentJeanMarieDined on 7/26/2014Food was excellent! We had the lamb chops and Bronzino that were very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!KarenDined on 7/25/2014A very warmly decorated large dining environment inside. It was a beautiful night, so we decided to dine in the spacious outside patio. Great wine selection as well as creative appetizers, main courses, and desserts. A little bit pricey, but well worth the cost.Special Features:
- the eveingsteveDined on 7/20/2014Very professional staff,Eric our waiter was with us constant and made us fell very special. The food and kitchen were on top of their game. We will return very soon and thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!MimiDined on 7/19/2014This was our second visit and the food was as delicious as the first time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodPaigeDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I had a very enjoyable dinner at Varka last night. The food is delicious and the service was excellent as well.Special Features:
- NoelleKateDined on 7/12/2014Have always loved Varka.. but the creamy ceasar salad wasn't creamy at all ... and the fish was a bit dry/bland this time - and for the price they charge ($42! just for the fish) that reallly isn't ok.
- Varka Fishhouse is always fantasticMBDBVIPDined on 7/10/2014We have been to Varka many times. The fish is always the freshest in the area and Spiros, our waiter, and the entire staff, are always attentive and make us feel very welcomed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedH2001Dined on 7/7/2014I have heard about this place. This was my first time. I have been to many restaurants in Ramsey of the same caliber but was greatly disappointed. The food was ok. The price for what I thought the caliber of food was extremely over priced. If I am paying that much it should make me go wow that was incredible and it sure didn't. The service was non-attentive. We had to grab several people passing by just to get refills or the next course. We sat outside and a beautiful night. Just disappointed overall and overpriced for sure!!!Special Features:
- NoisyEduardoDined on 7/3/2014Everything went perfect but noise level. The local acoustic does not fit the restaurant. Is not possible to have normal conversations due to noise level. Good service and really good food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Recommended GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014From the moment we arrived at Varka Fishhouse, we knew we had just discovered someplace special. From the skilled and knowledgeable servers to the last bite of our beautifully presented and perfectly prepared dinners, Varka saw to our every need in making our evening very enjoyable. Varka Fishhouse is certainly on our list of where to go for fine dinning. A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor diningGreeneyesVIPDined on 6/28/2014As usual, we enjoyed our lunch at Varka. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed dining on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect every time..LokinVIPDined on 6/23/2014Varka never disappoints! Outstanding food and service! Vibrant crowd, beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:
- We like Varka...FrequentDinerVIPDined on 6/23/2014...but sometimes the prices just aren't justified. The octopus app was excellent as usual. The zucchini in the Varka chips was great, but the $16 price is unjustified, not to mention the eggplant wasn't crisp. $10 for romaine with lemon dill dressing, not even a tomato. For 3 apps and one glass of wine at lunch it was $66 with tip for 2ppl. Can't beat the outdoor patio on a sunny day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFaerbedderDined on 6/22/2014What a delightful evening. Each dish was fabulous. This is our third time there and we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food Terrible Man Host...terrible4everVIPDined on 6/13/2014Outstanding food and service. However, the host (Male) has no people skills. Arrogant and very much obnoxious. He could use some training on how to approach customers and make feel them welcome. Beside that, the place is excellent.Special Features:
- Nice seafood & service in RamseyGwynneDined on 6/11/2014We had an excellent meal and the restaurant was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday dinner. The appetizers and seafood were delicious. Nice "by the glass" winelist. The service was excellent and this was despite the fact that there were several large groups dining as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceNaples1VIPDined on 6/11/2014The appetizers were terrific. One of the Lobster Ravioli dishes that I have ever tasted. I was part of a group of 10 and all of raved about our entrees.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014great place especially for New Jersey. One of the better ones in Bergen County.
- TOO MANY BUSBOYSLuv2dine007VIPDined on 6/8/2014The place was ok. Waiter good but confused my sparkling water with tap water when i went to bathroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreekGodVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food excellent as always, but service horrific. Very disappointing. We think the waiter was annoyed that we only ordered appetizers - but with drinks and dessert, the bill was well over $100. It's the food that will keep bringing us back, but the service will make is second guess that decision.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.