30 North Spruce Street
Ramsey, NJ 07446Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varkarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2019959333
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: George Georgiades
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties with up to 75 guests can be accommodated.
- Private Party Contact: Stavros 2019959333
A word from Varka Fishhouse
Varka is a Mediterranean fish house located in the heart of downtown Ramsey. They offer fish by the pound from all parts of the world, plus Greek specialties and Black Angus steak house selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Varka Fishhouse - Best Restaurants in Ramsey ›
Varka Fishhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (46)great for outdoor dining (41)romantic (38)good for groups (36)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (20)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (17)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Possibly the best Loup de Mer everDominiqueDined on 10/28/2014In my view, this is the best seafood place around. Very fresh, prepared to perfection to preserve the delicate flavors of fish. The Loup de Mer is my favorite and is out of this world. Nice wine list with a few Greek nectars to discover. Service is perfect. A great place.Special Features:
- Varka: Still batting 1000greggDined on 10/23/2014After at least a dozen visits, they still churn out top notch food.Special Features:
- Very ContentTrendyfoodieDined on 10/18/2014We are extremely picky about our eateries and the whole picture. Overall very impressed. Seated us promptly, great attention and very fresh fish. Husband had the steak and feels it was outstanding. Only bad aspect was the very high noise level. Had to ask the other couples to repeat what they said a few times. Cheesecake was better than any high end place in NYC.. Bravo for Varka. Will be back..Special Features:
- Way too expensive!!!lulu1852VIPDined on 10/18/2014We go out to eat all the time, but this restaurant was way too high in their prices. $18.00 for salad!!! All they did was stick their hand in a bag of leaves and put it on a plate all for $18.00. Ridiculous. Food was good not great.
- Great FoodDiane14Dined on 10/18/2014Noticed a very nice improvement in the food since we were there a long while agoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great For Lunchnycnewtojersey50Dined on 10/18/2014Had family come in from Texas and everyone loved the food. - Perfect lunch place - food is a great mix of Greek and seafoodSpecial Features:
- Great food, ok serviceilovefoodDined on 10/18/2014Met some girlfriends for lunch and got the grilled octopus (excellent), raw oysters (also excellent), and the zucchini and eggplant chips to start (all amazingly delicious). I got the lobster gyro which was good, but the lobster was minced and processed like gyro meat, and I was expecting fresh lobster so was a little disappointed, but it was good nonetheless. my friends both got salads and both were very happy with their meal. Food and ambiance are both top notch, but price is extraordinary making it BARELY worth it (but worth it nonetheless). our server was not the most helpful person, nor was he friendly and barely checked on us. Had our server been up to par with everything else it would have been 5 stars on everythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JcjfDined on 10/17/2014Very good and consistent very friendly and willing to ring out dishes in order you desireSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerNanaVIPDined on 10/12/2014We always love Varka even with having to drive 25 mins to get there from Englewood. The fish is always excellent, prepared simply grilled with wonderful accompaniments, the ambiance always pleasant, staff always helpful and generally it's a terrific place to dine. We love bringing new people with us and they always walk away totally satisfied and happy. We'll be back soon again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, tad expensive,noisyHMVanDined on 10/11/2014Food was great even though it was slightly expensive for what you get portion wise. Also having been there on other occasions, we find the restaurant is very noisy due to acoustics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PartymmmmmDined on 10/10/2014Came true, had a excellent dinner with great wine and great service with my family. Could not have been better. Will go back to try the outdoor dining when it gets warmer, looked like a really nice area too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to celebrate the good lifeMoniqueDined on 10/5/2014This place is a gold standard for seafood. Uncompromisingly fresh, delicious, beautifully presented. Service always impeccable and friendly. It's a special occasion place for me. Yes, it's expensive, but worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always deliciousLisaVIPDined on 10/4/2014We love dining at Varka. I always get the octopus appetizer for dinner, but try a different appetizer as my "real" appetizer each time we dine there. This time I tried the spinach pie - delicious! I love the Greek white wine (can't remember the name). I'm no wine expert, but I believe it pairs beautifully with the octopus.Special Features:
- Great outdoor lunchPatriciaDined on 10/3/2014Went for lunch on a beautiful sunny afternoon and were seated on the terrace. It was the perfect setting for a birthday luncheon. We all enjoyed our dishes. To start we had the calamari and the Varka chips. The calamari was okay but the group really enjoyed the very tasty Varka chips with dip. We had the swordfish kebobs, lobster gyro and salmon and everyone was very happy with their meals. For dessert we ordered the baklava and the greek doughnuts. Both were wonderful but the greek doughnuts were a big hit! Great place - hope to visit again! Also the sangria was delicious and a nice way to start the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish lovers ParadiseluvtoeatDined on 10/2/2014If you love fresh, simply prepared fish, this is the place for you. We were a party of 6 and we each ordered a different type of fish. Each one was prepared perfectly. No heavy sauces just olive oil and lemon juice. For appetizers highly recommend the Varka chips & grilled calamari. The dips with pita seemed to be very small portions of each (we were sharing). Apple tart with vanilla ice cream and chocolate molten cake were delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!Max123Dined on 9/27/2014Great food. Really enjoyed dinner. Only complaint is when we ordered drinks and the waiter brought back the wrong drink that instead of replacing it promptly argued and said this is what we ordered. Other than that fabulous as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but worth it?BauerdrDined on 9/26/2014Do you really have to pay $50 for fresh Dover sole? And, that wasn't even the most expensive choice. I could see the value of being in NYC for prices like this, but we are talking about Ramsey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014it should be better for the prices that they chargeSpecial Features:
- Amazing Food & RestaurantGC01Dined on 9/24/2014Dinner at Varka the other night was phenomenal. Food is unbelievable from main course to dessert. Perfection. One of the best seafood restaurants I've been to. Decor is beautiful, atmosphere is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food.Fishyfan3Dined on 9/23/2014Fish is always fresh. You can pick your fish from the ice boat. Oysters were fabulous and varied. Great wine list. Top shelf service. Not cheap but worth it. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but excellentKenMcVIPDined on 9/22/2014I took a couple of customers to Varka for the first time after hearing some good reviews form friends and I was not disappointed. Our waiter was Greek and walked me over to show me all of the fresh fish available that day. I had a Branzino which was cooked and fileted perfectly. However, one of my party had the lobster pot pie and it was amazing. It was served in a circular dish with the legs, head, and tail hanging over the sides, and a round piece of delicious, crispy, perfectly browned phyllo dough covering the sherry cream and lobster meat filled dish. It looked like it would crawl away, but there was no way my guest was letting it go! All in all a great experience. Just bring your expense account or wallet!Special Features:
- Fabulous Food in my hometownVARKALOVEVIPDined on 9/21/2014I've been going to VARKA since it opened it's doors - it only gets better. If I had to choose my favorites: Apps: Shrimp Santorini, Grilled Octopus Salad and the Roasted Beets w/Skordalia, and of course the VARKA Chips - just WOW. Entrees - The diver scallops, Plaki (Sea Bass) fresh and flaky in a lovely sauce, and the Greek Shrimp Scampi - served with a Risotto that was better than some of my dad's favorite Italian spots. Overall - amazing meal....go spend the money - well worth it. The staff is wonderful!! We go at least 3x a month for lunch - unfortunately I don't get there for dinner all that often since I live up in Orange County - but I send a lot of my execs. there. ENJOYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Love the octopus, grape leaves, and langoustines! Stavros, the waiter is very attentive and well informed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedThelmaDined on 9/20/2014There are several outstanding restaurants to choose from in North Bergen County, unfortunately Varka no longer rates among them. The menu is tired and pricey. The entrees are not terribly creative. On our recent visit, the arugula salad was rather limp and crab cake appetizer just middle of the road. The main courses were what one might expect to find at a local family style restaurant. That said, we won't be rushing back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Consistently GreatFoodieForLife29VIPDined on 9/13/2014This has become one of our favorite "special occasion" restaurants because you can always count on fantastic food and wonderful service. They've never disappointed us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureJamesVIPDined on 9/10/2014Very consistent fresh well prepared food. Great seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/6/2014This was the second time the 4 of us have been to Varka - Will be going a third time. noise level is very energetic!Special Features:
- dennisDined on 9/6/2014our waiter was excellent the food also we had a great timeSpecial Features:
- JGForeverJGForeverDined on 9/6/2014Never disappointed in the fabulous fare of Varka Estiatorio that transports us to Santorini. I could enjoy the charcoal grilled octopus with red and yellow roasted Holland peppers every week! Despite the noise level, and one unruly child screaming at our next table, we still love dining here - inside and outside. But, this time, the wait time for our main meal was interminable!
- Very nice but a bit over-pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Can get the same very good Ambiance, food and service at a more reasonable price.Special Features:
- Tasty butOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014Such a difficult choice to make with all those tasty sounding fish dishes....I opted for the tuna which is a huge favorite of mine. It was quite tasty while dining but I found myself ill within a few hours. I would think twice before returning.Special Features:
- Out door seatingluv2etasDined on 8/29/2014I requested an outdoor table upon my arrival. Even though 50% of the tables were available I was told that they were all booked for that hour. One hour later, after finishing my meal indoors, I noticed that several tables were still empty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good pricey fresh fish restaurantpowderpuffVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is fresh and seasoned perfectly. The portions are good,but the price is a little high. If you don't mind spending a little more than the average for a good northern nj restaurant, this is a restaurant with good food, nice happening atmosphere and good service.Special Features:
- Decent Food... Fair ServiceBIGBEDined on 8/16/2014I dine all over the Tri-State area from Philly to NYC so I know the good the bad and the ugly pretty well. The food was good, menu was diverse as seafood goes. My date ordered the special and I ordered Halibat. That part was great as were the drinks. Problem was three members of the staff about five minutes apart inquired about our preference for water on the table. After 20 minutes nobody showed up with water! Get it together staff. Eventually head waiter took care of us and admonished the staff. Also no one appeared to ask how our food was or if I wanted another drink. Hey am I chopped liver over here? For the price expect better service. It's not cheap, even for Bergen County. It was a Saturday night so I will give them a 2nd chance.Special Features:
- Varka must be "excellence" in GreekIglypopDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary dinner this past Friday evening. This is our "go to place" for special occasions. The experience was outstanding. The service was excellent as always; extremely attentive, but not intrusive. We were seated promptly, and did not feel the least bit rushed throughout the entire meal. The food was absolutely delicious. We have never had a meal here that we haven't thoroughly enjoyed. The drinks were also excellent. My wife ordered a Cosmo, and the drink that was delivered was a work of art. It looked so good that I was drawn to it and had to try a taste of it. I recommend this restaurant to anyone seeking an excellent meal with impeccable service and an overall superior dining experience.Special Features:
- Always consistently great!!!RandiVIPDined on 8/9/2014One of our favorite restaurants. It is on par to any NYC top mediterarian restaurants. We were saying that it is actually better than Milos! Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great langoustines!JerseyGirlVIPDined on 8/8/2014My husband & I love to dine here, it is absolutely awesome! We always get the grilled octopus appetizer and a plate of langoustines.Special Features:
- NanaVIPDined on 8/3/2014As always we loved our evening at Varka....food, service, atmosphere....everything just right. Our fish and wine were excellent and we look forward to returning for our next great dinner!!!Special Features:
- DisappointedMartinRDined on 8/2/2014Dear Manager, I have been in the wine and restaurant industry for 20 years and I was really looking forward to go the this restaurant. Food was good, services was OK, I felt like the every time the bring something to the table they "through" it, like in a rush, they were probably short of staff. Buy the way it really set the tone... Private message Very disappointed. Mart
- divine dinnerLisaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Every bite was divine! I love, love, love the octopus appetizer and order it for dinner all the time. It never disappoints. My husband usually orders the special, which was a delicious grouper dish on this occasion. We had room for dessert and tried the phyllo wrapped custard for the first time - YUM!Special Features: