Montreal, QC H3B 1X8Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vargas.ca/
- Phone: 5148754545x
- Hours of Operation:
11:00am - 11:00pm monday -friday
5:00pm-11:00pm saturday and sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: David Seaman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for information.
- Private Party Contact: David Seaman 5148754545x
A word from Vargas-Montreal
Vargas Steakhouse, Bar, Sushi Restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Montreal on the corner of Rene Levesque and University. The restaurant is designed and crafted to dazzle you from the moment you walk in. In an elegant and sophisticated ambiance, we offer our guests delicately prepared dishes including our house specialty prime rib au jus, fresh steaks, seafood, a sushi bar, and a large selection of wines. Whether you are visiting us for lunch,diner or simply to have a few drinks on our terrace, our amiable and professional staff will be waiting to serve you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vargas-Montreal reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Sushi Poor Side dishesJazzleVIPDined on 3/14/2014We went here because a Canadian friend advised he loved it. My sushi was so awesome! Loved it, best I'd had ever. My husband had shrimp with rice. We both didn't care for our side dishes. He didn't care for his rice, said it was over cooked, seemed they used a sticky rice like they use for sushi and he didn't care for it. My baked potato was one of the worse I've ever had. I eat a potato totally. Skin, everything. This one was like it was from the day before and reheated in the microwave it was so dried out. I left on my plate. We left hungry with a $80.00 bill :( The waiter was great and very attentive, It was very slow for a Friday night.
- Pleasant surpriseSevyDined on 3/7/2014Went for lunch with a client, first time there and the food was really excellent, nice generous portions, fish fresh good salad, Didn't take the dessert but they seemed excellent also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchManonDined on 3/5/2014Good service; perfect for business lunch, various choice in the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard fare in a decent ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2014I've been to Vargas several times for business lunches, as it's located nearby. The ambiance is nice, and service is courteous. But the food it fairly basic and unimaginative, in spite of the promising menu descriptions and high prices. The sushi is standard fare, pre-prepared so that it often arrives at the table looking wilted and a bit dried out. Salads are meh. Steaks are okay, but are better at many other nearby establishments. Perhaps this seems harsh, but the prices invite this kind of criticism as they imply a caliber that should be much higher than it is. Vargas is really not a bad restaurant. But it's not a good one either.
- Thought it was a vintage restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/25/2014Thought it was a vintage restaurant that had been there since the 1950's. As it turned out I was mistaken as vargas has only been opened since 2003. I was pleasantly surprised to find it as every much a steakhouse as Moishe's or Rib n Reef. I had the filet with peppercorn sauce and it was delicious. Dined on a Tuesday night and the dining room and bar area were both packed. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love is in the air!!GalwayGirl75Dined on 2/14/2014We had a fantastic meal at Vargas on Valentines night. I was greeted with a rose at the front door and the setting was lovely. Our hostess seated us and we had and excellent experience in hospitality and customer service from our waiter. He was attentive and added to the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2014I have never had a less than excellent meal here. There is a varied menu, fish, meat, pasta and sushi. We or our guests have tried different dishes and everything is consistently good. Drinks are generous. In addition, the service is always friendly and staff and kitchen do everything possible to accommodate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service but food was salty.PhilLovesSteakDined on 2/12/2014Service was great but we found the food too salty for our tastes.Special Features:
- Always great!Businessfor5Dined on 1/28/2014I had my usual zen lunch (San Pelegrino, Cesar Salad and Sushi). Everything was fresh and crisp.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, good service !!ViktorDined on 1/25/2014As usual, perfect filet mignon, grilled vegetables and a very good service !! Love the place !!!Special Features:
- Meilleur endroit pour desJustineDined on 1/17/2014Meilleur endroit pour des sushis osés et exquis… Le personnel est extraordinaire et attentionné.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- signature dishjulesDined on 1/16/2014I have been to Vargas on a few occasions and usually very satisfied. This time I decided to try their "signature" roast beef, and was very disappointed. So as long as you stick to the sushi or steaks, you will love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunch environementBozmanDined on 1/16/2014Great food, professional waiters One of the best places in downtown Montreal for a business lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try something elseHelenDined on 1/11/2014Mediocre. Been there on 2 previous occasions a few years back so we were looking forward to it. Nice dining room, low noise level, Waiter was very pleasant, but not up to par. We had to ask for the bread, he did not explain which sauces went with which item on the VIP plate, tried to take away plates before we were done (restaurant was almost empty so no one waiting for our table). Red wine was very cold (we had to wait for it to warm up) - waiter just laughed it off. The quality of the food was ok. Unseasoned but properly cooked. When we asked if they had a cheese plate - the waiter came back with a folded ripped magazine page that showed a picture of 6 cheeses with a description. We were to choose one or more for a price of $12.Really?
- Not badAbesDined on 1/11/2014Very nice looking and relax atmosphere restaurant. Waiter was good, my girlfriend had the chicken teriyaki and it was very salty, I had the steak and it was good, guess that's what you get for ordering chicken at a steampunk house. Don't think I'll be going back, and that was our first time!Special Features:
- Sushi in a Steakhouse?SteakurSushiDined on 1/3/2014It's the best of both worlds! When you first walk in you think that your in a Steakhouse that doesn't surve tasty sushi, WRONG! which is what we came for! I will say this that we had a brilliant time! Our servers were Pascal & "Sugar Tooth" Luke they made our evening even better with their wity & great sense of humor! Lost Paradise plate of sushi was fantastic! We will return...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveFDLVRDined on 12/31/2013My family and I enjoyed a pleasurable dining experience at Vargas on New Year's Eve. The entire staff was welcoming and accommodating. The food was delicious. We would certainly make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Year's Eve Meal!SmythyllDined on 12/31/2013Very nice ambiance, excellent service, overall a very memorable and satisfying experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodnewyeardinerDined on 12/31/2013The food was wonderful and not too expensive. I mean the food was really good. Great service too. Great for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and experienceroc12121Dined on 12/31/2013The Service Was Impeccable, And The Food AbsoluteLy Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Shelf in MontrealTousleyTNDined on 12/29/2013I took my special lady here for her 50th birthday, and we both considered the experience to be ideal.. from the food to the service to the romantic ambiance this establishment was firing on all cylinders. The location is also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent business lunch placeTheCatDined on 11/28/2013Menu is varied, food is very good. It is a good place to meet colleagues and have a discussion since the noise level is low. Not cheap, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I stumbled upon this restaurantmlbdinesoutDined on 11/22/2013I stumbled upon this restaurant while walking in Montreal near my hotel. It's a large place in a commercial part of town, so I was somewhat wary. In any case, I went, alone, and had a small beautifully prepared filet mignon (medium), lobster mashed potatoes that were just slightly dry but still good and flavorful, and tasty grilled asparagus. The wine list was varied enough, and I ended up with a surprisingly good red that was the month's feature and was made by Dave Mathews. I'd go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- run of the millOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/14/2013With so many excellent restaurants in Montreal it is difficult to find a reason to eat at Vargas, other than its convenient location across the street from PVM. There is nothing wrong or bad with the restaurant, but it has no flair and does not standout in any way.
- Nice surpriseSylvieDined on 11/2/2013Food was very good and fresh. Portions were very generous. The only thing was that there was not any pinot grigio. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningVoyageur1Dined on 11/1/2013We had a fabulous dinner. A great respite after a drive. The food, the wine, the service and the ambiance were first rate! The location, just down from the Queen Elizabeth is perfect for travelers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent steakhouseyummyeaterDined on 10/29/2013Beautiful restaurant, spacious, immaculately decorated. Comfortable. Menu quite nice, not HUGE but excellent steak and fish options. Enjoyed our meals!Special Features:
- Service was fiendly, courteous,FoodieMNMDined on 10/17/2013Service was fiendly, courteous, attentive. Food prepared quickly. Great menu variety. Reasonable prices at lunchtime. One of my favourite places for business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In Town for a ConferenceJosephVIPDined on 10/1/2013I came into town for a conference and wanted to take a colleague out for a nice steak dinner. It was ok, but certainly nothing to write home about. The Sushi rolls were good, but the steak average. Thin cuts, and lots of gristle.Special Features:
- Not the usualBusinessfor5Dined on 9/30/2013We were 5 for a business lunch. One of my guest, with whom I dine from time to time at Vargas, ordered his favorite meal : the Vargas Salad. He was quite disapointed with the fact that the chicken breast had no taste whatsoever, which was unusual. He mentioned it to the waiter, having eaten the whole salad, but having barely touched the chicken. He go no comment whatsoever. It would have been nice to hear something along the lines "I will talk about it to the chef" or "I am sorry about that" or "Let see what we can do better next time". I think we should have gotten more reassurance for our next visit which may now be later than sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere was very nice.PinkmamaDined on 9/22/2013Atmosphere was very nice. Service was exceptionally slow and one order was completely wrong. The Prime rib was VERY salty. The restaurant was recommended by our Hotel so I am hoping that our experience was unusual for the place.Special Features:
- Pretty Good!!MikeVIPDined on 9/18/2013I enjoyed my meal here. The service was great and the menu was quite tasty!Special Features:
- Business LunchEatWellEverytimeDined on 8/30/2013Vargas is a great location for a business lunch - good food and atmosphere to have an important discussion, in a reasonable timeframe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch menu is great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2013The limited lunchtime menu has a bit of this and a bit of that plus a salad - it is always well prepared and tasty - highly recommended. Service is friendly and helpful, but not intrusive - the best kind. Definitely a great place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Queue De Cheval!ThroxyDined on 8/16/2013We were recommended this restaurant because our favorite steak house in Montreal, Queue De Cheval, was closed as they were preparing to move to a new location. Vargas was average for a steak house. Wasn't great... Wasn't bad. It's a BIG hot spot for bachelor parties. There had to have been 4 to 5 big parties there while my wife and I dined. That took away from the dining experience a bit, as the restaurant got much louder by the time the last group came in and our server disappeared as the wait staff scrambled to accommodate the larger groups.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic, beautifullyEatingalldayDined on 8/6/2013Food was fantastic, beautifully done steak. Good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing but ourMitchDined on 7/19/2013The food was amazing but our waiter Antonio or something like that was terrible I have been to vargas 10 times and never had such poor serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Steak houseEmmanouDined on 7/11/2013I have tried the steak and French fries. Great simple choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business venue, steak and seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2013A great business lunch restaurant, well situated downtown, with efficient, professional service and a broad menu. As with any restaurant with many options, your mileage may vary on food, although meat is generally great. Our waiter was very helpful and discrete. Tables are large enough for those times when you need to pull out your iPad or papers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vargas MontrealpatdineDined on 6/17/2013the overall experience was very good. I often bring clients there. easy to find, no surprise with the food everything is good.Special Features: