2106 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varanese.com/
- Phone: 5028999904x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Varanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is offered depending on Chef Varanese's availability. Call to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: With the addition of two new private dining room spaces, Varanese can accommodate groups of up to 80 people. Minimum sales requirement for each room applies. Call 502-899-9904 or email email@example.com to inquire.
- Private Party Contact: John Varanese 5028999904x
- Entertainment: Live jazz seven nights from the Jeff Sherman band 6-10pm.
- Special Events: Sunday is Service Industry Night. Enjoy 1/2 price appetizers and drink specials starting at 8:30.
Every Monday, enjoy a free Flambé Dessert with the purchase of any entrée.
Wine Down Wednesday – Half price bottles of wine all night. Choose from our extensive wine list.
- Cross Street: Vernon
- Public Transit: Varanese has a TARC stop in front along with a Frankfort Ave. Trolly Hop Stop.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Varanese provides on-premise parking along with additional parking across the street at Nancy's Bagel Grounds along with street parking.
A word from Varanese
Varanese settled in Louisville because of its successful independent dining scene, and he believes that the people of Louisville will appreciate fresh ingredients, prepared with a creative flair and a culturally diverse menu. Varanese’s eclectic menu boasts an array of options from stuffed grape leaves, and fried green tomato salad, to new signature entrées: the seared boneless pork chop, and caramelized orange salmon. Finish with a fried banana accompanied by a house-made oatmeal cookie dough ice cream dessert. This New American style restaurant will comfortably seat 150 guests between its bar, dining room and four seasons patio. The four seasons patio of Varanese is an addition to the building, which has a dramatic 20-foot slate water wall. The space is enclosed by a serpentine of glass doors, which retract to offer an outdoor dining experience. Varanese is located at 2106 Frankfort Ave. in the Historic Clifton neighborhoodContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Varanese - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Varanese reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (152)neighborhood gem (145)fit for foodies (145)romantic (119)great for outdoor dining (101)notable wine list (81)good for groups (74)hot spot (51)late-night find (26)vibrant bar scene (22)scenic view (8)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- A Treasure!cathyk39Dined on 10/29/2014Varanese is an excellent dining experience from beginning to end. The service is impeccable, the ambiance lively and the food is wonderful. We went on a recent evening to celebrate the birthday of a friend. We were seated at a table just slightly out of the way, scattered with rose petals. Service was attentive without being intrusive. After a wonderful meal we were surprised with medley of desserts and a candle. A festive end to a wonderful evening. This is a terrific restaurant that is a true treasure, I highly recommend it for both special occasions and anytime you are looking for good food, good service and a dining experience that satisfies on every level.Special Features:
- They exceed my expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Your establishment exceeds my expectation in Value/Price, Customer Focus, Reliability, Information, and most importantly, Food Quality! Thank you for being the innovative Service that you are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014The food was Awesome, the waiter was great and the Chef (John) came out to check with us as well which was great. We all tried different dishes and had the appetizer combo, which delighted all of us. Since I like spicy food I requested some spice and they brought me some and it was fantastic. We would recommend this place to people hands down and know we did the next day at the office.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varanese was a great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014I was treating my mother to a birthday dinner. Made the reservations ahead of time, and she was seated at the best dressed table in the house. She loved the house fudge, ice cream and chocolate for dessert, and she blew out the candle. Loved the water wall! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for an anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Went here with my husband for our anniversary. We were very happy with the experience. The only complaint - many of the specials were gone by the time we got there at 6:30 pm.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent,as always! We ordered the potato chips for our appetizer. Yum! Beef tortellini, excellent. Salmon, nothing left on plate. White fish (don't remember name), out of this world! I've never had a bad meal here. It was definitely a treat for us 3 sisters!Special Features:
- Rich and another coupleOfteneatsout1Dined on 10/23/2014Good food. Good service. Good sized portions and appetizers. Good wine list. We were first table of the evening and they put us at front in all guest traffic; that was poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never dissapointed!favfordinnerDined on 10/20/2014Back Again! Varanese is one restaurant that we are never disappointed with our food. My favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014First time we've visited since Mother's Day - we were very pleased - great meal from start to finish, our server was first rate. Really no complaints, everything was fantastic and I found the price rage reasonable for what we got, and the whole experience.Special Features:
- ServiceIcook2Dined on 10/17/2014Busy night but we were seated promptly. Great attention to detail. Very welcoming. Chef visits to table are so nice. Very personal touch. You feel like your views matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food, service and ambiance!KateDined on 10/14/2014Thank you for a lovely evening! Really enjoyed the flat iron steak and lentil soup, but everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Our Favorite JointSamKDined on 10/14/2014We love coming to Varanese. This is a great place to eat, enjoy and relax. John is a great person and your Chef is super. We love you guys!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!add1moreDined on 10/11/2014One of the best restaurant's in town, enough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely done!Ple83Dined on 10/10/2014Making the reservations through open table is convenient and easy. I was running a bit late due to traffic and called to let them know of my late arrival. They were very pleasant and accommodating. I had requested a table close to the jazz performance that evening and one that was warm. We did indeed have that table. :). The service was quick and the server friendly, knowledgable . Dinner was delicious and visually pleasing. It was a great experience. I will return.Special Features:
- MelanieDined on 10/10/2014Everything was outstanding. Three of our party ordered the specials and everyone raved about their choice. This is probably my favorite resturant in the city....it never disappoints.Special Features:
- May be the Best in LouisvilleDrvill1Dined on 10/10/2014Yes, there are a lot of great restaurants in Louisville, but Varanese could possibly be the best of the best. The food is excellent - we had a great salad and the Bourbon Pork Chop. Good drink selections too. The prices are reasonable and the portions are just right. The atmosphere is great too. It feels high-energy without looking like it is trying to hard to be a hot spot. It also feels upscale without being stuffy. The jazz band is fun, and if the weather is nice, the front doors are open to the sidewalk patio. To top off the great experience, Mr. Varanese (the owner and chef) came out and checked on us and many of the other parties throughout the evening. I really don't think you can get any better than this!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pc1029VIPDined on 10/8/2014We shared calamari with a soy-type sauce & marinara, & I had the special tomato, mozzarella salad for my dinner. Very nice. Others had fried green tomatoes, flat iron steak, & salmon, always a treat! We also shared a creme brûlée. Nice evening with jazz music entertainment as well.Special Features:
- Visiting Louisville St. James Ct.GlassGirlDined on 10/4/2014I was in town for the weekend for the St. James Court Art Fair, and because it was my first trip to Louisville I wanted to find a local Mom & Pop dining option. I chose to come to Varanese because of the good reviews and the proximity to my hotel downtown. We ordered a pistachio encrusted goat cheese spinach salad, stuffed grape leaves, baked brie, and another salad. All of the food was delicious, and not only tasted good but was presented beautifully as well. Ambiance was good with live music, (bass, guitar, sax) lighting was nice, fresh flowers on the table. It was a wonderful experience. Service could have been a little better as we waited a long time for our check but other than that it was a lovely place to eat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014It was very good but compared to other places on Frankfort Ave, it wasn't the best. We try to pick a different place when we go out for a nice meal. THe band was a very nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningBandR88Dined on 10/4/2014Celebrating birthdays, my husband and I wanted someplace special and new to us. I found Varanese through Louisville Restaurants. Then my friend recommended Varanese. We are so glad we chose you. Lovely evening, top notch waiter and fabulous food. What more could you want.Special Features:
- chufinDined on 10/3/2014The food was wonderful and service was outstanding. We had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fantastic!MaximusForealiusDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our 21st anniversary here and we were well-pleased with our choice! We initially made our choice due to the live jazz trio, but were very impressed with our dining options. My wife shared her mushroom risotto with me and I became an instant fan, but I did not have much room due to my superb pork chop (that resembled no other pork chop I have ever had!) and artisan side of potatoes Au-gratin. We finished the night by splitting bread-pudding which was one of the few things that could follow the excellence of the main course. Have dinner here, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Simply excellent!tuttleman2Dined on 10/3/2014This is now one of my favorite restaurants in Louisville, great food, excellent service! I don't have very many favorites in Louisville but I will be back Varanese! My complements to the Chef! Excellent wild boar and crab stuffed avacado was one of the best I have ever had. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience but read on..,JmccallDined on 10/2/2014We had a great experience for a birthday with kids but as a seasoned home chef, I'd love to give some pointers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Joey was an excellent waiter. He had a wide knowledge if the menu. Offered some very nice bourbon selections. The mussels appetizer, pork chop and beef tip tortellini for dinner was tasty and filling. If you are ever in Louisville you must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyableFoodieDined on 9/26/2014i've always enjoyed Varanese. good food, service and atmosphere. a favorite for a fun and festive night!Special Features:
- High Quality ThroughoutAllAboutFoodDined on 9/22/2014Chef John combines a great menu with fantastic special offerings that will please everyone. The food is always excellent. That combined with the personable staff, the live music and the character of the place, results in Varanese being one of the best dining experiences in Louisville, a city becoming known for its food culture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenueddieemailVIPDined on 9/21/2014Nice menu with some interesting choices that you don't see every day.
- Perfect night outwillys47Dined on 9/19/2014This was our first experience here and it was wonderful. Food was awesome very well prepared and delicious. Atmosphere was great live music while we dined but not to load to carry on our conversation. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great ExperienceJRSREALTORDined on 9/18/2014This is our second time within a month to dine at Varanese. We again had Kristy as our server and she is so attentive and on top of things, but never hovering. Just when you need something she is there to deliver whatever it may be. This evening they had the doors open so it was as if you were dining outside, but still covered from any potential elements. Great place to go whenever, seeing as this was our fifth anniversary and it couldn't have been made any better.Special Features:
- VeranesematuredinerDined on 9/16/2014The food is excellent, the atmosphere cozy, and the service very attentive but not intrusive. Overall a great experience that I plan to encounter many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonameDined on 9/15/2014Have always enjoyed so much in past. Chef is very personable and like the fact that he always greets guests. But the last 2 times we have gone the food just has not been as good. Best parts of meal were salad, bread and coffee. The complimentary amuse bouche was soggy and uneatable and everything else seemed to be missing a beat. Hate this..but we won't be returning.
- special experiencedinesalotDined on 9/14/2014Great food and dining experience. Menu items were upscale and entrees that you will not find at "normal" restaurants. All 4 of us had different entrees an all were superb. The jazz 3 piece combo that played the whole night was great, but if you were in the same room, they were a little loud for normal conversation. I would certainly dine there again.Special Features:
- Best in LouisvilleLocalinLouisvilleDined on 9/13/2014I love Varanese. I have been there more than a handful of times in the last 2 years and each dining experience was near perfect. The jazz music accompanied by the dim lit dining area is very romantic, yet you can go with a group as well and get an awesome experience as well. Louisville is filled with wonderful restaurants and great chefs, but Varanese is the best in my opinion.Special Features:
- Cream cheese grits!HollySDined on 9/12/2014Yes, cream cheese grits. They are the most amazing, creamy grits ever and anywhere. And the salmon that came on top of them was melt-in-the-mouth citrus-y good. This is the place to go for a wonderful "patio" area and with some live jazz music to go along with your meal. The music is never too loud for conversation. The avocado appetizer is amazingly good...we also enjoyed cups of the menu special Shrimp Bisque and wanted more. One member nearly ordered a second helping until we reminded him of the bread pudding dessert he could have. Another enjoyed a special braised leg of lamb that was a plentiful serving and so we all felt good about demanding a taste. Yummy! Varanese NEVER disappoints!Special Features:
- Great experience!HoosierVIPDined on 9/12/2014It's our new go-to dinner spot. Great food awesome jazz trio and a great time.Special Features:
- ExcellentBridgetMoDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I chose Varanese upon the recommendation of a friend. The food was amazing, our table was romantic, and the outdoor seating set the mood. We are looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice EveningSenorRexVIPDined on 9/9/2014Service was very special, despite a large wine tasting group the same evening. Food was very good as well. Touring the Mid-West in search of fine eateries. Visiting from Berkeley, CA's Gourmet Ghetto...Special Features:
- VaraneseLougirlDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the outdoor seating. Sometimes while jazz band plays, it's so loud you can barely converse. Food was very good. Service was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisvilleBobDined on 9/6/2014Food was excellent. Service was attentive but not overbearing. The owner takes the time to visit each table. One of the better restaurants in Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.