2106 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varanese.com/
- Phone: 5028999904x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Varanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is offered depending on Chef Varanese's availability. Call to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: With the addition of two new private dining room spaces, Varanese can accommodate groups of up to 80 people. Minimum sales requirement for each room applies. Call 502-899-9904 or email email@example.com to inquire.
- Private Party Contact: John Varanese 5028999904x
- Entertainment: Live jazz seven nights from the Jeff Sherman band 6-10pm.
- Special Events: Sunday is Service Industry Night. Enjoy 1/2 price appetizers and drink specials starting at 8:30.
Every Monday, enjoy a free Flambé Dessert with the purchase of any entrée.
Wine Down Wednesday – Half price bottles of wine all night. Choose from our extensive wine list.
- Cross Street: Vernon
- Public Transit: Varanese has a TARC stop in front along with a Frankfort Ave. Trolly Hop Stop.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Varanese provides on-premise parking along with additional parking across the street at Nancy's Bagel Grounds along with street parking.
A word from Varanese
Varanese settled in Louisville because of its successful independent dining scene, and he believes that the people of Louisville will appreciate fresh ingredients, prepared with a creative flair and a culturally diverse menu. Varanese’s eclectic menu boasts an array of options from stuffed grape leaves, and fried green tomato salad, to new signature entrées: the seared boneless pork chop, and caramelized orange salmon. Finish with a fried banana accompanied by a house-made oatmeal cookie dough ice cream dessert. This New American style restaurant will comfortably seat 150 guests between its bar, dining room and four seasons patio. The four seasons patio of Varanese is an addition to the building, which has a dramatic 20-foot slate water wall. The space is enclosed by a serpentine of glass doors, which retract to offer an outdoor dining experience. Varanese is located at 2106 Frankfort Ave. in the Historic Clifton neighborhoodContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Varanese - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Varanese reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since May 18, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (155)neighborhood gem (153)fit for foodies (145)great for outdoor dining (131)romantic (118)notable wine list (72)good for groups (61)hot spot (55)late-night find (25)vibrant bar scene (20)scenic view (13)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Cream cheese grits!HollySDined on 9/12/2014Yes, cream cheese grits. They are the most amazing, creamy grits ever and anywhere. And the salmon that came on top of them was melt-in-the-mouth citrus-y good. This is the place to go for a wonderful "patio" area and with some live jazz music to go along with your meal. The music is never too loud for conversation. The avocado appetizer is amazingly good...we also enjoyed cups of the menu special Shrimp Bisque and wanted more. One member nearly ordered a second helping until we reminded him of the bread pudding dessert he could have. Another enjoyed a special braised leg of lamb that was a plentiful serving and so we all felt good about demanding a taste. Yummy! Varanese NEVER disappoints!Special Features:
- Great experience!HoosierDined on 9/12/2014It's our new go-to dinner spot. Great food awesome jazz trio and a great time.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014My husband and I chose Varanese upon the recommendation of a friend. The food was amazing, our table was romantic, and the outdoor seating set the mood. We are looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VaraneseLougirlDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the outdoor seating. Sometimes while jazz band plays, it's so loud you can barely converse. Food was very good. Service was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisvilleBobDined on 9/6/2014Food was excellent. Service was attentive but not overbearing. The owner takes the time to visit each table. One of the better restaurants in Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we cameBostonfoodieDined on 9/6/2014From the moment we walked in the door, we were greeted & seated by friendly staff. Our waiter was attentive & informative about the menu. We had the crab/cream cheese stuffed squash blossoms as an appetizer & they were excellent. My entree of corvina had a nice pecan coating & the veggies that came with it were fresh & not over cooked. Looking forward to trying other things on the menu on future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Louisville RestaurantKirkVIPDined on 9/5/2014This place is consistently awesome! Great food, cool location, and quality service. John the owner has also said hello at our dinners here. Very reasonable on price for great food. A little slow on speed of service but why hurry a terrific dinner?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Varanese is one of our favorite restaurants. Elegant atmosphere with live music and consistently tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a go-ToPrplehazeDined on 9/4/2014Varanese has long been one of my go-to restaurants for taking out of town guests or observing birthdays or the like. This time, it was both and as usual, the folks at the restaurant mostly came through for us. The food was outstanding. Among the three of us were two salmons and one Covina and each piece of fish came out cooked exactly as ordered arranged beautifully on a plate of grits (salmon) or honeyed mashed sweet potatoes (Covina) each of which was superb. I also had the fried Brussels sprouts which I could easily eat once or twice a week and not tire of. Service,was fine, once our server arrived after a 20 minute wait to have our orders taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerSandyleeDined on 9/2/2014Great service wonderful food and they are always friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpearsDined on 9/2/2014It's nice to have several favorite entrees that are always on the menu as well as 2 or 3 special entrees and a couple of salads or appetizers that offer unique choices, unusual preparation and ingredients all at reasonable prices. The butter-fish special was the favorite choice that night and everyone loved it. Even with a group of 7 people, the service was excellent and the server both knowledgeable and pleasant. The cocktails were promptly served and well-prepared and the food courses were brought out at just the right pace. It is our favorite full-menu, gourmet dining venue in east Louisville.Special Features:
- A Great anniversaryfjayrDined on 9/2/2014We count on Veranese for those special evenings and, again, Veranese did not disappoint. The service was outstanding, helpful and prompt, the small jazz band was outstanding, and every dish from the curried empanadas through the entrees was well prepared and delicious. The staff were aware that this was our anniversary and there were nice touches throughout the meal. This restaurant always makes us feel valued and comfortable while providing us as lovely a dinner and wine service as you are going to find in the great restaurant town of Louisville.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Planned a surprise for my sister for her birthday. Staff was overly accommodating and friendly. The service was outstanding as was the food. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stop reading, make a reservationKYBPDined on 8/31/2014Fabulous table waiting for us when we showed up for our opentable reservation at Varanese. We ordered drinks and an appetizer. Tons of great beers not normally found to select from and our appetizer was great. Dinner was as good as any dinner we could have had that night. So glad we decided to spend our anniversary dinner there! Most likely going to have to make it a tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary!Kbk11102Dined on 8/31/2014Food was excellent and service made it even better. We had a great anniversary celebration and we will definitely be back again soon.Special Features:
- open doorsfoodfanDined on 8/30/2014Would like to have doors open to give outdoor feel and diminish noise levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varnese - a family favoriteGerd9354Dined on 8/30/2014Varnese never fails to please. It is one of our families favorite restaurants. The food is always excellent, as well as the service. Always something new in the specials worth trying, but the standard menu keeps us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticoneRomanticoneDined on 8/29/2014Once again best place to eat on Frankfort ave. Amazing service food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysTimHDined on 8/29/2014We visit Varanese at least once a month and it has my favorite dinner in Louisville. The Bourbon Barrel Rubbed Porkchop preceded by the Fried Green Tomato Salad is the TOPS!!! Our out of town guests loved everything about this place on their first visit. Bravo Varanese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Great food with terrific service at a reasonable priceSpecial Features:
- CJS1VIPDined on 8/29/2014Decent food. I guess I was expecting more based on the reviews. Sauces on both dishes were very heavy and overpowered the flavor of the base.
- Out of This WorldJRSREALTORDined on 8/29/2014Took out-of-town in-laws here for a welcome dinner. Seven members of the group had never been, and Varanese made a big impression on them. I had the Opah and it was amazing. Everyone walked away very satisfied and happy to have experienced this great restaurant. Service was so good my wife can't stop raving about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJoeMLDined on 8/27/2014The food is consistently delicious, new dishes & innovative. Never gets boring or predictable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to dine w/friendsMissyDined on 8/25/2014This was my first visit there, but I loved it. There was quiet music in the background. Service was excellent and the chef came out to see how our experience was. I would definitely go back the next time in Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Date placeAppleGuyDined on 8/24/2014My best friend and I like to go on "dates" and we like trying new places and Varanese was on both of our lists. We went on a Sunday afternoon and the place was not busy at all so we had a great conversation at a reasonable level. The waitress was helpful with wine paring for the meal I picked and very knowledgeable about the menu options. The food came out very well prepared and the plate looked wonderful. I think we will both be back!Special Features:
- Perfect date-night destination502dinerDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I chose Varanese for our anniversary dinner, and we were not disappointed. From the appetizer to dessert, we found the food prepared to perfection. Ed, our waiter, was very attentive, but not pushy or intrusive. He made several useful recommendations. The live jazz was a nice touch, as well. We were very pleased to spend a couple of hours dining in such a classy setting.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedgov58Dined on 8/22/2014I picked this restaurant from an online site. Got there an hour early and was offered a table right away. Chose to go to the bar first. A great bar but could use a few more choices for draft beer. The wine and liquor selection was great. Dinner was fantastic, the sirloin was almost fork tender and tasted great. As we were finishing dinner the head chef came to our table and was truly interested in what we thought of the food. The entire experience was very enjoyable and was very fairly priced.Special Features:
- ReviewSussieDined on 8/21/2014Had a wonder Mother/Daughter night out eating here. We were seated right next to the music duo loved it. We felt like we were in our own little world. The salmon I had was outstanding! Choose a nice Pinot to go with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot SpotJoeeatswellDined on 8/21/2014We've been in Louisville for many years and can't believe we haven't been here. We dine out @ 3-4 times per week and Varanese has moved to the top of our "excellent dinning" list.Special Features:
- Most Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Five of us dined at Varanese on a Thursday night. A two-person jazz combo played in the corner, providing a nice ambiance. The sound-absorbing panels on the ceiling have helped the noise level, but conversation is still a little tricky. The food, however, is excellent. My caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes was luscious. Three of us had the signature pork chop with au gratin potatoes, and it was very good. But the prize went to my husband's choice of the flat iron steak (cooked medium rare) which was tender enough to cut with a regular knife, and melted in your mouth. Once again, Varanese sits at the top our list for favorite Louisville restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014First time I have been there. My friend Jeff Groves suggested we eat there. He was correct, your place was just what we were looking for and I plan on coming back. Jeff is the Owner of Groves Construction in Madisonville, Ky. and as I understand comes there frequently.Special Features:
- disappointedBombDined on 8/20/2014Have been coming to Varanese since it opened. This was by far the worst experience in all the years of eating here. The noise level was deafening. At a table for 6 you could not hear the person across the table speak. The food was not up to par this time either. Food has always been perfect but this time, entrees were cold to lukewarm. I hope this was a fluke.Special Features:
- Always great foodsportwifeDined on 8/19/2014We had a reservation and were seated promptly. Our waitress was fantastic, very friendly and her service was great. Food always is great....never been disappointed here. Menu has a nice range of options, as does the wine list.Special Features:
- Nice placeEnjoyGreatMusicandFoodDined on 8/17/2014Friendly, nice staff!! Waiter was great and recommended nice choices. Pretty loud atmosphere on a Sunday evening plus train directly behind building. Enjoyed the little music playing there I could hear over the people chatting loudly. Food was very tasty and good. The front door of restaurant remained open so there were a few flies surrounding my food and landing on the complimentary bread. I would try it again on a different day to see if I could get a better experience of the place.Special Features:
- Love Varanese!PJ3180Dined on 8/15/2014This is one of the best, if not THE BEST restaurants my husband and I have ever eaten at. We will go back. We don't live in Louisville. We drove there for the weekend to enjoy what the city has to offer, especially in regards to fine dining. Varanese was awesome! We will be back whenever we visit the city again. Loved the live jazz music too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, consistent restaurantTimHDined on 8/15/2014Varanese is one of the best, most consistent spots in Louisville. The fried green tomato salad and bourbon barrel pork hop is my favorite meal in Louisville! Food, beverage, wine list and ambiance are all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VibrantMikeDined on 8/15/2014Lovely dinner. Excellent chicken ravioli entree. Great band, acoustic jazz guitar.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014It was all around wonderful except it was a tad loud for my grandparents. It was hard to hear them and vice versa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceeds expectationjaydubDined on 8/12/2014Best restaurant experience I have ever had! I reserved a table to celebrate my girlfriends birthday. These guys hooked me up! The table was in a great location and an assortment of rose peddles were placed on it. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. Even the manager came out and wished my girl friend a happy birthday. I didn't feel like I was being talked down to or didn't belong because I am younger. Food was delicious and prices were very reasonable. They brought out a little dessert trey with some ice cream and cookies after dinner for her. I didn't ask or any special treatment because it was her birthday. The resturaunt did it on their own. It was a great experience and friendly environment. Way above expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealTristan0917VIPDined on 8/9/2014Varanese is walking distance from our home so we go there quite often. We've never had a bad meal. Service is always excellent.Special Features: