2106 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varanese.com/
- Phone: (502) 899-9904
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Varanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is offered depending on Chef Varanese's availability. Call to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: With the addition of two new private dining room spaces, Varanese can accommodate groups of up to 80 people. Minimum sales requirement for each room applies. Call 502-899-9904 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
- Private Party Contact: John Varanese 5028999904x
- Entertainment: Live jazz seven nights from the Jeff Sherman band 6-10pm.
- Special Events: Sunday is Service Industry Night. Enjoy 1/2 price appetizers and drink specials starting at 8:30.
Every Monday, enjoy a free Flambé Dessert with the purchase of any entrée.
Wine Down Wednesday – Half price bottles of wine all night. Choose from our extensive wine list.
- Cross Street: Vernon
- Public Transit: Varanese has a TARC stop in front along with a Frankfort Ave. Trolly Hop Stop.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Varanese provides on-premise parking along with additional parking across the street at Nancy's Bagel Grounds along with street parking.
A word from Varanese
Varanese settled in Louisville because of its successful independent dining scene, and he believes that the people of Louisville will appreciate fresh ingredients, prepared with a creative flair and a culturally diverse menu. Varanese’s eclectic menu boasts an array of options from stuffed grape leaves, and fried green tomato salad, to new signature entrées: the seared boneless pork chop, and caramelized orange salmon. Finish with a fried banana accompanied by a house-made oatmeal cookie dough ice cream dessert. This New American style restaurant will comfortably seat 150 guests between its bar, dining room and four seasons patio. The four seasons patio of Varanese is an addition to the building, which has a dramatic 20-foot slate water wall. The space is enclosed by a serpentine of glass doors, which retract to offer an outdoor dining experience. Varanese is located at 2106 Frankfort Ave. in the Historic Clifton neighborhoodContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Varanese - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Varanese reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (160)neighborhood gem (151)fit for foodies (151)romantic (127)great for outdoor dining (91)notable wine list (85)good for groups (81)hot spot (57)late-night find (24)vibrant bar scene (22)scenic view (10)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Great ambience and attention to detail. Loved the band and the decor of the place and I enjoyed the food as well. We came on a monday so the dessert was amazing as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining experienceHellenic4culinaryDined on 11/17/2014The decor with the waterfall impression is most attractive. Our server was excellent. This was an intergenerational gathering and we all enjoyed it. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's Night Out-standingGirlsNightOutstandingDined on 11/13/2014We've been sampling restaurants during our monthly Girl's Night Out dinners. Our dinner at Varanese was the most outstanding in terms of food and service, and yet was more reasonably priced. Loved it and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentSWJJDined on 11/12/2014I have eaten at this restaurant and raved about both the food and service, unfortunately that was not the case this week. Our waiter rarely visited our table. He took forever to take our order and didn't check back in a timely manner after the food was served. While two of the entrees were wonderful the other two were at the opposite end of the spectrum, being dry and tasteless. I had suggested this restaurant to celebrate a friends birthday but was sorely disappointed at our experience this time.
- DinnerAnessa06Dined on 11/7/2014It was amazing. The food tasted so good, we had a full meal with appetizers, meal, and dessert. Everything was delicious. We had the cheese spheres, which were just perfect. For dinner I had the mushroom ravioli and it was my favorite that I have ever had. Very unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwimmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Great service. Extremely loud restaurant in need of some noise reduction. As for the food. Either my taste buds are over sensitive or the food is geared toward those without them. Salty food, swimming in sauce, both of our entrees.Special Features:
- never failsBigpaDined on 11/4/2014we've probably dined at Varanese 20 times, and the experience has always been 5 star ... food and service are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Louisville FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I have eaten at Varanese on several occasions. The food is always fantastic and the specialty drink list contains several wonderful and unique cocktails. The service is always friendly and efficient even when we have had a large group. I highly recommend Varanese for your next special occasion or date night.Special Features:
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014A friend suggested Varanese. We were not disappointed. The place was very soothing and I felt like the restaurant added to the experience of romance I was wanting to go for. The cascading waterfall wall the live music. It was beautiful and my wife loved it. The waiter was knowledgeable, friendly and knew exactly when to come see us. She brought out the food at the right times and we were really able to enjoy each other. The food itself was nothing but perfect. I had the Seasonal Walleye and it was amazing. Just as the waiter described in flavor and taste. My wife had the Rock shrimp and Lobster Ravioli which she loved. We will be back without a question!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not-so-scary HalloweengingerprincessDined on 10/31/2014My husband and I dressed up in our lame Halloween costumes and braved the scary weather to enjoy another meal at Varanese. We are always glad to visit our neighborhood place that very quickly became our "go to" celebration restaurant.Special Features:
- A Treasure!cathyk39Dined on 10/29/2014Varanese is an excellent dining experience from beginning to end. The service is impeccable, the ambiance lively and the food is wonderful. We went on a recent evening to celebrate the birthday of a friend. We were seated at a table just slightly out of the way, scattered with rose petals. Service was attentive without being intrusive. After a wonderful meal we were surprised with medley of desserts and a candle. A festive end to a wonderful evening. This is a terrific restaurant that is a true treasure, I highly recommend it for both special occasions and anytime you are looking for good food, good service and a dining experience that satisfies on every level.Special Features:
- Special service prior to ConcertTomcat88VIPDined on 10/28/2014Another great dinner at Varanese with friends!! On this occasion we had friends in from Cincinnati and only had two hours time prior to the Paul McCartney concert at YUM Center. We called ahead to alert the restaurant of our schedule. We could not have been treated better upon arrival, as we were immediately seated and cocktails served within 5 minutes and appetizers a few minutes later. Plenty of time was provided to digest the menu and review that evening's "specials". All of our meals were excellent. The coordination was perfect! We were left with adequate time to enjoy dessert and coffee, plus travel to the concert without concern. My compliments to John Varanese and his entire staff for making us feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They exceed my expectationsFoodie71Dined on 10/28/2014Your establishment exceeds my expectation in Value/Price, Customer Focus, Reliability, Information, and most importantly, Food Quality! Thank you for being the innovative Service that you are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food!!Spicy4meDined on 10/28/2014The food was Awesome, the waiter was great and the Chef (John) came out to check with us as well which was great. We all tried different dishes and had the appetizer combo, which delighted all of us. Since I like spicy food I requested some spice and they brought me some and it was fantastic. We would recommend this place to people hands down and know we did the next day at the office.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varanese was a great find!5starDined on 10/26/2014I was treating my mother to a birthday dinner. Made the reservations ahead of time, and she was seated at the best dressed table in the house. She loved the house fudge, ice cream and chocolate for dessert, and she blew out the candle. Loved the water wall! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for an anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Went here with my husband for our anniversary. We were very happy with the experience. The only complaint - many of the specials were gone by the time we got there at 6:30 pm.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent,as always! We ordered the potato chips for our appetizer. Yum! Beef tortellini, excellent. Salmon, nothing left on plate. White fish (don't remember name), out of this world! I've never had a bad meal here. It was definitely a treat for us 3 sisters!Special Features:
- Rich and another coupleOfteneatsout1Dined on 10/23/2014Good food. Good service. Good sized portions and appetizers. Good wine list. We were first table of the evening and they put us at front in all guest traffic; that was poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never dissapointed!favfordinnerDined on 10/20/2014Back Again! Varanese is one restaurant that we are never disappointed with our food. My favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014First time we've visited since Mother's Day - we were very pleased - great meal from start to finish, our server was first rate. Really no complaints, everything was fantastic and I found the price rage reasonable for what we got, and the whole experience.Special Features:
- ServiceIcook2Dined on 10/17/2014Busy night but we were seated promptly. Great attention to detail. Very welcoming. Chef visits to table are so nice. Very personal touch. You feel like your views matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food, service and ambiance!KateDined on 10/14/2014Thank you for a lovely evening! Really enjoyed the flat iron steak and lentil soup, but everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Our Favorite JointSamKDined on 10/14/2014We love coming to Varanese. This is a great place to eat, enjoy and relax. John is a great person and your Chef is super. We love you guys!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!add1moreDined on 10/11/2014One of the best restaurant's in town, enough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely done!Ple83Dined on 10/10/2014Making the reservations through open table is convenient and easy. I was running a bit late due to traffic and called to let them know of my late arrival. They were very pleasant and accommodating. I had requested a table close to the jazz performance that evening and one that was warm. We did indeed have that table. :). The service was quick and the server friendly, knowledgable . Dinner was delicious and visually pleasing. It was a great experience. I will return.Special Features:
- MelanieDined on 10/10/2014Everything was outstanding. Three of our party ordered the specials and everyone raved about their choice. This is probably my favorite resturant in the city....it never disappoints.Special Features:
- May be the Best in LouisvilleDrvill1Dined on 10/10/2014Yes, there are a lot of great restaurants in Louisville, but Varanese could possibly be the best of the best. The food is excellent - we had a great salad and the Bourbon Pork Chop. Good drink selections too. The prices are reasonable and the portions are just right. The atmosphere is great too. It feels high-energy without looking like it is trying to hard to be a hot spot. It also feels upscale without being stuffy. The jazz band is fun, and if the weather is nice, the front doors are open to the sidewalk patio. To top off the great experience, Mr. Varanese (the owner and chef) came out and checked on us and many of the other parties throughout the evening. I really don't think you can get any better than this!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pc1029VIPDined on 10/8/2014We shared calamari with a soy-type sauce & marinara, & I had the special tomato, mozzarella salad for my dinner. Very nice. Others had fried green tomatoes, flat iron steak, & salmon, always a treat! We also shared a creme brûlée. Nice evening with jazz music entertainment as well.Special Features:
- Visiting Louisville St. James Ct.GlassGirlDined on 10/4/2014I was in town for the weekend for the St. James Court Art Fair, and because it was my first trip to Louisville I wanted to find a local Mom & Pop dining option. I chose to come to Varanese because of the good reviews and the proximity to my hotel downtown. We ordered a pistachio encrusted goat cheese spinach salad, stuffed grape leaves, baked brie, and another salad. All of the food was delicious, and not only tasted good but was presented beautifully as well. Ambiance was good with live music, (bass, guitar, sax) lighting was nice, fresh flowers on the table. It was a wonderful experience. Service could have been a little better as we waited a long time for our check but other than that it was a lovely place to eat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014It was very good but compared to other places on Frankfort Ave, it wasn't the best. We try to pick a different place when we go out for a nice meal. THe band was a very nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningBandR88Dined on 10/4/2014Celebrating birthdays, my husband and I wanted someplace special and new to us. I found Varanese through Louisville Restaurants. Then my friend recommended Varanese. We are so glad we chose you. Lovely evening, top notch waiter and fabulous food. What more could you want.Special Features:
- chufinDined on 10/3/2014The food was wonderful and service was outstanding. We had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fantastic!MaximusForealiusDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our 21st anniversary here and we were well-pleased with our choice! We initially made our choice due to the live jazz trio, but were very impressed with our dining options. My wife shared her mushroom risotto with me and I became an instant fan, but I did not have much room due to my superb pork chop (that resembled no other pork chop I have ever had!) and artisan side of potatoes Au-gratin. We finished the night by splitting bread-pudding which was one of the few things that could follow the excellence of the main course. Have dinner here, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Simply excellent!tuttleman2Dined on 10/3/2014This is now one of my favorite restaurants in Louisville, great food, excellent service! I don't have very many favorites in Louisville but I will be back Varanese! My complements to the Chef! Excellent wild boar and crab stuffed avacado was one of the best I have ever had. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience but read on..,JmccallDined on 10/2/2014We had a great experience for a birthday with kids but as a seasoned home chef, I'd love to give some pointers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Joey was an excellent waiter. He had a wide knowledge if the menu. Offered some very nice bourbon selections. The mussels appetizer, pork chop and beef tip tortellini for dinner was tasty and filling. If you are ever in Louisville you must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyableFoodieDined on 9/26/2014i've always enjoyed Varanese. good food, service and atmosphere. a favorite for a fun and festive night!Special Features:
- High Quality ThroughoutAllAboutFoodDined on 9/22/2014Chef John combines a great menu with fantastic special offerings that will please everyone. The food is always excellent. That combined with the personable staff, the live music and the character of the place, results in Varanese being one of the best dining experiences in Louisville, a city becoming known for its food culture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenueddieemailVIPDined on 9/21/2014Nice menu with some interesting choices that you don't see every day.
- Perfect night outwillys47Dined on 9/19/2014This was our first experience here and it was wonderful. Food was awesome very well prepared and delicious. Atmosphere was great live music while we dined but not to load to carry on our conversation. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.