231 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varalliusa.com/
- Phone: 2155466800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Private group luncheons can be arranged by contacting our special events coordinator Brian Datesman @ 215-546-6800
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: William Carroll
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Varalli Restaurant can accommodate large parties of 10 or more people. An array of rooms and spaces are available that are versatile and flexible for your dining needs. Varalli Restaurant has 24+ years experience in coordinating private events. See for yourself the Varalli difference.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Datesman 2155466800
A word from Varalli Restaurant
Residing in the heart of Philadelphia’s Center City, Varalli Restaurant reflects the elegance and artistry of its Avenue of the Arts location. A dining destination for over 24 years, Varalli Restaurant is conveniently located within a few blocks of the Convention Center, major hotels, theaters and arts venues. This restaurant boasts playful decorative accents that give each dining room the distinction of a chic gallery featuring whimsical oceanic sculptural details and a unique illuminated glass fusion mosaic. The menu’s Northern Italian and Mediterranean-style seafood dishes are works of art in their own rights and promise flavorful distractions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Varalli Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (20)romantic (19)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (11)notable wine list (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Magical birthday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Warm welcoming entrance! Delightful service, delectable food, timely drinks and magical atmosphere, party of five had a blast. We'll be celebrating all of October, 2014! Thank you much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded our expectationsFanOfPhillyDiningDined on 10/18/2014Get beyond the slightly dated motif and you will find super friendly service and a meal that will leave you smiling for days! Ask for a table in Joe's section and he'll guide you through your fine dining experience with menu suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude, inattentive, not pre-theatre!AmyJosephineVIPDined on 10/18/2014"You have no bill! I will not be able to get you served!" With these words, the dining room manager dismissed us from our pre-theatre dinner after we had been sitting at the table for almost an hour having been served only our drinks. There was no apology for the dismal lack of service, or for the inattentive waiter or incompetent kitchen. We were merely told that there would be no food and asked rather brusquely to be on our way. If you are planning on attending an event on Broad Street and having dinner prior to the show, please don't waste your time with Varalli. Dine at one of the many wonderful restaurants within walking distance. There are many terrific choices along Broad Street. This restaurant is not worth your time.
- Wonderful experience!DMC1Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent service and food. I loved the grilled artichoke hearts. The menu was filled with so many wonderful items I had a difficult time choosing! We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerMarilynDined on 10/17/2014We went to Varalli's for my husband's birthday-WONDERFUL dinner!Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 10/16/2014Still one of the best for pre-theater or pre-orchestra dining based on location, food, reasonable prices and the server's attention to performance schedules. This time, I had a nice Caesar salad made with young kale, a twist on the usual preparation with romaine. Our salmon and lobster ravioli entrees were tasty. Varalli is aways very good.Special Features:
- Boy was it loud!Trying2BKindDined on 10/16/2014I had been to Varalli's once before and loved it. My group of 7 were the only ones in the restaurant and every one of us thought the food was great. Based on that experience, I decided to take my husband there recently for our 15 year anniversary and we were both really disappointed in the experience. We were sitting by the bar and the noise level was so high that we couldn't hear each other talk. I decided to get the dessert to go because we were both getting a headache from the noise level and we couldn't wait to get out of there. The food was good enought but coupled with the service being really slow and the noise level, I'm reluctant to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMaestraBDined on 10/14/2014I hadn't been back to Varalli for some time, and was looking forward to it. Started out well -- we had requested a quiet spot and they actually had one! The appetizers were quite good. However, although the server had asked if we were going to the theater, which we were, our main courses came out very late (just 30 minutes before our curtain time), and only after we had reminded her. The pasta dish was good, but the veal, which two of us had, was just mediocre.
- great foodjerzeeboyDined on 10/10/2014everything was fantastic, the only problem i encountered was the price to portion size. the portions could have been bigger especially for the prices, which seemed a bit high. other than that it was great.Special Features:
- GO thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Its a great place with great food , the chef / chef's have very interesting flavors going on there. It's a must do!Special Features:
- ALWAYS GR8 food & servicelatinprofVIPDined on 10/8/2014Reliable, friendly and delicious...characterize the main attributes of Varalli's. Never go wrong with any item on menu, all good quality and well prepared and tasty. Try the tiramisu for dessert...YUMMY!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentChristij908Dined on 10/4/2014You know that you have a gem when your guests rave about the food. Everytime I have eaten at Varalli, I have been amazed by the food. It is absolutely delicious. The waitstaff and bartenders are friendly and make each guest feel welcomed. If you want a good meal, whether for that special occassion or just because..this is the place to go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greasy foodHopefulVIPDined on 10/3/2014All dishes drenched in oil. Waiter unctuous with absurd fake accent. Food was good one year ago. Terrible now.
- CharlesCharlesDined on 10/1/2014We were running quite late for dinner and show and the restaurant held our table and was ready to give us fast service. They went above and beyond the call of duty. The staff was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outandaboutDined on 9/28/2014Our dinner at Varalli restaurant was exceptional. The service was excellent. The host could not have been nicer and he gave us a window view which was great for people watching. The waiter was helpful with deciding what entree to choose and what wine would pair well with it. The veal piccata was excellent and the wine list was good. I would recommend this restaurant when you're in town - especially after a matinee concert.Special Features:
- CharlesCharlesDined on 9/27/2014Excellent center city dining at reasonable price. Great place prior to a show or concert. The staff is excellent and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect pre-concert restauranttheaterloverVIPDined on 9/27/2014Varalli's sits right on Broad Street across from the Academy of Music. It's a great spot to people-watch Broad Street. We split a great wild mushroom flatbread for an appetizer. My husband had the special pasta for that night which was lobster, and I had their penne putanesca. Both were very good. I had a ton of pasta leftover. My waitress offered to box it up; when I said "Oh we're heading to the Orchestra," she said "I can put it away and you can pick it up afterwards if you'd like." So we did just that, and had it for lunch the next day. I thought that very thoughtful....above and beyond the call of duty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varalli's never disappoints!barbaraVIPDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I met my sister and brother-in-law for lunch. We ordered drinks, the Jumbo Shrimp & Andouille appetizer, wild mushroom soup, the salmon, Melanzane pasta, and steak. All were delicious. My sister is fussy about her gin, and it was perfect. My brother-in-law raved about his steak. My mushroom soup was the best I've ever had, and the salmon and pasta were excellent. Our server was friendly and efficient, got the details of our orders perfect, and made sure we were finished in plenty of time for our event.Special Features:
- Very Good!DineClssyDined on 9/20/2014We had a nice time at Varalli. I often do not venture into city to eat but this night was a first date and I wanted to make it classy. The service was excellent and the ambiance was was romantic and young. Our waiter was confident and knowledgeable but did not bug us during our meal, yet was present at the right times. The food was very tasty. Our shrimp appetizer was delicious and each of our entrees-pan seared pork and herb crusted salmon-were cooked perfectly with great flavor. I'm happy with my choice as this was the perfect balance of great food, great atmosphere, great location, but did not break the bank. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molto Bene!LipcheesVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was my first time at this restaurant but it was recommended by a friend. This place was conveniently located in Center City so a short walk from my hotel. I ordered the veal piccata with a side order of linguini (olive oil on the side as requested). The meal was delicious - solid Italian food! I will definitely return as there were other items on the dinner menu that I'm interested in trying. The service was very attentive without being overbearing and the host made me feel very welcome.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014Excellent Restaurant Week value . . . Hearty soup; appetizer (mine, delectable mushrooms stuffed with hot sausage); fair selection of fish, meat, and pasta entrees; and both carb-y and low-carb desserts. Only complaints: filet mignon overly salted and bread pudding too dense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and RomanticPeacefulLuvDined on 9/18/2014I went to Varalli with my mate during Center City restaurant week, and I must say we really enjoyed ourselves! The host was very upbeat and friendly. As soon as we arrived, he greeted us warmly and was very accommodating. The table that was reserved for us was by the window, but we wanted a more romantic and quiet area. He gave us a large booth on the other side of the water feature, with which we were very happy. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive. Overall, the food was delicious. We were not impressed with the butternut squash soup they offered (way too much cinnamon), but since we ordered extra appetizers (calamari/mussels). The lobster ravioli was exceptional! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Consistantly great food and serviceSunshineVIPDined on 9/16/2014Consistantly great food and service, year after year! Comfortable/ spacious seating, great ambiance and fantastic people watching at the north east corner of the Avenue of the Arts and Locust street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit to PhillyFirsttimerVIPDined on 9/13/2014It was our last night in Philly and we were in the mood for Italian. We went to Varalli. We asked for a private booth and they were very accommodating. The service was top notch. We went with the "restaurant week" menu and enjoyed everything. We would definitely return again!
- Nicest people!BethyLovesFoodDined on 9/12/2014Went to Varalli for restaurant week and had a great time. The food was good and the portions were a decent size for a fixed price menu. The staff was incredibly kind and helpful. Will dine again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okAnthonyLDined on 9/10/2014I went there for restaurant week and was disappointed. The soup of the day was bland and the filet was good but had its tough spots. The colossal crab cocktail was anything but colossal. There was hardly any crab in it. The service and wine list was great. In the end I left hungry.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceChrisDined on 9/10/2014I'm always happy at Varalli. The food is great and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- not vege friendlyfoodieDined on 9/9/2014The menu for restaurant week did not accommodate vegetarians, and no substitutions were availableSpecial Features:
- BeneDined on 7/5/2014My family and I truly enjoyed Varalli's. We will frequent Varalii's. The food and service were great. Loved the the waterfalls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy!PennyDined on 7/2/2014My husband and I were so happy that our recommendations about Varalli were supported by the great experience our out of town guests experienced.Special Features:
- Great pre-theater dining spotdoveDined on 6/28/2014Varalli's Italian restaurant is a well located dining venue for pre theater/concert events. The quality of the dining is very good and service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 973 reviews are from the Varalli Restaurant reviews archive.
- RelaxingShrinksjpDined on 6/24/2014I and my cousin went to Varalli's for his birthday. The atmosphere is nice, although a bit understated for an underwater scene type restaurant compared to Faralon of SF. There are flat waterfalls upon the walls and an in the center of the room. Lamps over the table are frosted glass starfish. The food is very good. The rosemary potatoes consisted of finger potatoes but they could have had more flavor. They were bland. The entrees were very good. I had the shrimp puttanesca and my cousin had the lemon pepper linguini with clams. My dessert, the baba rum was a bit sweet and really did not taste like rum. The drink, Seraphim, was very good.Special Features:
- Another excellent mealPaulVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our first choice for restaurants before a concert or the theater on Broad St. Actually it's appeal should be much broader as the food and service are both first rate. If not going to an 8:00 PM event would recommend a reservation no earlier than 7:30 in order to give us early birds a chance to clear out.
- a little too much oilDrumdocDined on 6/21/2014goo0d service (but a little slow), pretty good food, but there was too much oil, etc. Not very healthful. Pretty quiet, which I appreciated.Special Features:
- Great mealToddDined on 6/21/2014Great drinks at the bar, an accommodating table and excellent food. The service was also fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAY BE MY LAST TIME THERETONYDined on 6/21/2014WE AND THE WIFE WENT THERE ON SAT NITE ,FIRST LET ME TELL YOU I BEEN GOING THERE 4 5 YEARS OR BETTER , AND I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT WHEN ARE WAITERS TOLD ME THERE WAS NO MORE OYSTERS ON THE MENU ANYMORE !!!!!!!!!!. or u kidding me ,,,, that was the most i looked for when i got there they had the best oysters ever .so not sure antmore if i will go back if the oysters are gone ,,,Special Features:
- Convenient, nothing exceptionalSandRDined on 6/13/2014We sat in the back area of the first floor and it seemed a little dark and tired. My food was so-so, but the group I was with all seemd to enjoy their meals. The service was above average. I would go back b/c the location is so convenient, especially if you are going to see a show.Special Features:
- Good good, good spotjonackDined on 6/12/2014It's sort of hidden out in the open but it's definitely a good place for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pre-theater Restaurant!AnniVIPDined on 6/11/2014The restaurant was lively, service was excellent and food was very good! They ask if you are going to the theater to be sure you get there on time! Very nice!Special Features:
- An excellent experiencecmdrcdyDined on 6/8/2014Recently vistied Varelli on Sunday evening and very pleased with our dinner. We have been there several times in the past when we go into the city and always found the food to be very good and a good value. This time was no exception. The appitzer and main course dishes were very tasty and the portions were filling. The waitress, who was very attentive all evening, found out it was my wife's birthday coming up and brought out a cup of fress berries in whipped cream, on the house. A perfect end to the meal.Special Features: