231 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varalliusa.com/
- Phone: 2155466800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Private group luncheons can be arranged by contacting our special events coordinator Brian Datesman @ 215-546-6800
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: William Carroll
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Varalli Restaurant can accommodate large parties of 10 or more people. An array of rooms and spaces are available that are versatile and flexible for your dining needs. Varalli Restaurant has 24+ years experience in coordinating private events. See for yourself the Varalli difference.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Datesman 2155466800
A word from Varalli Restaurant
Residing in the heart of Philadelphia’s Center City, Varalli Restaurant reflects the elegance and artistry of its Avenue of the Arts location. A dining destination for over 24 years, Varalli Restaurant is conveniently located within a few blocks of the Convention Center, major hotels, theaters and arts venues. This restaurant boasts playful decorative accents that give each dining room the distinction of a chic gallery featuring whimsical oceanic sculptural details and a unique illuminated glass fusion mosaic. The menu’s Northern Italian and Mediterranean-style seafood dishes are works of art in their own rights and promise flavorful distractions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Varalli Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (44)romantic (27)good for groups (26)vibrant bar scene (25)notable wine list (18)scenic view (17)late-night find (14)hot spot (12)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- BeneDined on 7/5/2014My family and I truly enjoyed Varalli's. We will frequent Varalii's. The food and service were great. Loved the the waterfalls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy!PennyDined on 7/2/2014My husband and I were so happy that our recommendations about Varalli were supported by the great experience our out of town guests experienced.Special Features:
- Great pre-theater dining spotdoveDined on 6/28/2014Varalli's Italian restaurant is a well located dining venue for pre theater/concert events. The quality of the dining is very good and service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxingShrinksjpDined on 6/24/2014I and my cousin went to Varalli's for his birthday. The atmosphere is nice, although a bit understated for an underwater scene type restaurant compared to Faralon of SF. There are flat waterfalls upon the walls and an in the center of the room. Lamps over the table are frosted glass starfish. The food is very good. The rosemary potatoes consisted of finger potatoes but they could have had more flavor. They were bland. The entrees were very good. I had the shrimp puttanesca and my cousin had the lemon pepper linguini with clams. My dessert, the baba rum was a bit sweet and really did not taste like rum. The drink, Seraphim, was very good.Special Features:
- Another excellent mealPaulVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our first choice for restaurants before a concert or the theater on Broad St. Actually it's appeal should be much broader as the food and service are both first rate. If not going to an 8:00 PM event would recommend a reservation no earlier than 7:30 in order to give us early birds a chance to clear out.
- a little too much oilDrumdocDined on 6/21/2014goo0d service (but a little slow), pretty good food, but there was too much oil, etc. Not very healthful. Pretty quiet, which I appreciated.Special Features:
- Great mealToddDined on 6/21/2014Great drinks at the bar, an accommodating table and excellent food. The service was also fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAY BE MY LAST TIME THERETONYDined on 6/21/2014WE AND THE WIFE WENT THERE ON SAT NITE ,FIRST LET ME TELL YOU I BEEN GOING THERE 4 5 YEARS OR BETTER , AND I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT WHEN ARE WAITERS TOLD ME THERE WAS NO MORE OYSTERS ON THE MENU ANYMORE !!!!!!!!!!. or u kidding me ,,,, that was the most i looked for when i got there they had the best oysters ever .so not sure antmore if i will go back if the oysters are gone ,,,Special Features:
- Good good, good spotjonackDined on 6/12/2014It's sort of hidden out in the open but it's definitely a good place for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pre-theater Restaurant!AnniVIPDined on 6/11/2014The restaurant was lively, service was excellent and food was very good! They ask if you are going to the theater to be sure you get there on time! Very nice!Special Features:
- An excellent experiencecmdrcdyDined on 6/8/2014Recently vistied Varelli on Sunday evening and very pleased with our dinner. We have been there several times in the past when we go into the city and always found the food to be very good and a good value. This time was no exception. The appitzer and main course dishes were very tasty and the portions were filling. The waitress, who was very attentive all evening, found out it was my wife's birthday coming up and brought out a cup of fress berries in whipped cream, on the house. A perfect end to the meal.Special Features:
- aluminum foil in our flat breadDaveDined on 6/7/20141. Service was great 2. My wife had aluminum foil in her flat bread (pizza) - The waiter response "It is not possible" 3. I had a beat salad and had pistachio shells in the salad )almost broke my tooth. Too much of a coincidence... lack of QA at the kitchen in my view
- Great for Low Key Business DinnerRCDIIDined on 6/5/2014Had a low-key business dinner here which was perfect. The waitress was attentive but not overbearing and the food was excellent. It is a little noisy - pre-theater time so heavy business sessions would not be good during that time. It is a good setting for out-of-towners with the glass windows overlooking Broad Street and all of the pedestrian activity.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MercDined on 6/4/2014Service and food were both super! We made reservations via Open Table and were extremely pleased with accommodation of our request for a quiet part of the restaurant. On our way to a show, we informed the staff of a need for prompt turn-around, and the staff responded magnificently. All of this with our delicious meal made our visit to the City a very happy one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceMJMJDined on 5/31/2014Great place to go before a show. Great food, service. We recently went for dinner on an nice spring night , large windows were open offering a great city dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre DinnerMikeVIPDined on 5/31/2014Varalli is an old favorite, especiall if we want a pleasant dinner before the show. This was no exception, with one exception. The service was a bit inattentive. We had to post lookouts to find the waiter, and that was surprising since the place was not briming with customers. Oh, we'll be back and expect that service will return to what we had been accustomed to. Mushroom soup was delicious. Sea Bass was equally tasty. No wine tonight but the food was, as usual, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aDRIENNEELLENVIPDined on 5/30/2014The restaurant was about 3/4 full - the entrees took way too long to come - with the waiter saying "a little glitch". Two out of the four entrees were ok - the sea bass ordered was loaded with salt - would not return for sure.
- bitsandpieces47Dined on 5/24/2014We have been to this restaurant several times. We enjoy the friendly servers and the food is always very good.Special Features:
- before the wilmaslibDined on 5/23/2014Varalli's is a favorire before any show for this suburbanite. Food is great as are the martinis. Only complaint this time was soup that was a little cool for my taste. But I will be back!Special Features:
- Great!!!!ChiliVIPDined on 5/17/2014While the food is nothing to write home about, the staff makes this restaurant stand out. They were so very friendly and efficient. I would definitely go there again for drinks and apps (they weren't bad)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- multi-course fixed price dinnerCelebratorVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had the multi-course fixed price dinner on Saturday evening. The four people in our party enjoyed every course. The food was plentiful, nicely presented and delicious. It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal & ServiceSquan2014Dined on 5/16/2014From the minute we stepped in the door we had a pleasant experience. Host, bartender and server couldn't have been nicer. Food was amazing. Something on the menu for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/15/2014Please share my thanks with Eddie for his responsive and attentive service. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacularolliescatDined on 5/11/2014the food was really exceptional. wine - great pasta great,great polenta great desert... great waiter and waitress - greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurant.rvankoeDined on 5/8/2014Good food, nice service. A very comfortable location for Dinner.Special Features:
- Sloppy at BestKGS32Dined on 5/7/2014Unfortunately, the food didn't measure up to the service. Canned beets on the beet salad, seriously? Under cooked pasta for the lobster ravioli that was mounded and inundated with sauce and mushrooms. The plating was sloppy. I won't return. The good news was the service was good and the server was delightful who seemed embarrassed to even present the plate. God bless her!
- Improptu VisitOkayfoodDined on 5/4/2014We bookked an unplanned visit to the restaurant however what we did not take into account was that it across the street from the Kimmell Center. This is a restaurant I would visit again based on customer service (even though a a performance just let out and our reservation was meaningless we were seated on time). Since we live in the neighborhood it was a nice spot but I wouldn't travel in to town for this restaurant. Not sure if we would go back, food was pedestrian although the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantArleneDined on 5/3/2014Have been here many many times...foood and service is ALWAYS excellent. Great ambiance. Quiet, relaxing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-concert RestaurantBernieDined on 5/3/2014The food was great. The service was very attentive. The server asked if we had concert tickets and he made sure we were served and finished in time. Sometimes, we are rushing to get to a concert because a server didn't bring the check in time. There were none of those issues here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bump in the roadEricDined on 5/3/2014We've eaten at Varalli many times before because it is conventiently located across from the Kimmel Center. My wife has a food allergy that the staff has been great about in the past. During our last dining experience, she and my daughter told the waitress they were sharing their meals so please make them both allergy conscious. Instead, my daughter's dish came out completely loaded with the allergen. The maître d' came out to apologize, but we couldn't send it back because all of the other dishes had come out. Was she going to wait while the rest of us ate? It shouldn't have been on the bill. It was really a shame, because we've had generally good experiences there. A final note, it was absurdly loud at the bar, we had to shout.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied Birthday Twins!TwinsDined on 4/30/2014Varalli is ALWAYS a go-to type restaurant for family & friends. We are NEVER disappointed!! We typically go to celebrate birthday occasions and to participate in Philadelphia Restaurant Week. The food was outstanding; the atmosphere was great; fellow diners cordial; and our server was the best - I believe Edward was his name. We will definitely be back and not just for a special occasion. Thanks for ANOTHER wonderful dining experience :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentDiner16Dined on 4/27/2014We dine here frequently. The food is always good. Service friendly and professional. Don't change a think..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyJudieDined on 4/26/2014This Resturant is accommodating and has a wonderful staff. I took my daughter who is handicapped in a wheel chair and they made sure the table was perfect with a beautiful view of the Avenue of the Arts! As far as the food it is fantastic I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner4inphillyDined on 4/26/2014Dinner was delicious, service was great! It was very convenient to the doubletree hotel and theaters in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluebellerBluebellerVIPDined on 4/25/2014Pre-concert. Never disappointed. Friendly, helpful waitstaff. Drinks good. Calamari appetizer excellent. Veal piccata tender and tasty. Tartufo just right for dessert. And in plenty of time for the concert without feeling rushed. We have never been disappointed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent MealPaulVIPDined on 4/25/2014Varalli's remains our favorite pre-concert/theater restaurant. The food is always excellent as is the service. I'm absolutely clueless how they manage to serve a completely full restaurant in time for the 8 PM performances while maintaining superbly prepared meals. BUT they do so without rushing you out the door or appearing to be rushed themselves. The meal just happens. Kudos all around!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre concert diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Nice dressy restaurant for pre show dinner if you enjoy dining vs eating. Food excellent. Service too. Across from Academy of Music and one block from Kimmel Center. Parking nearby. Lively bar. EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gr8latinprofVIPDined on 4/25/2014love the food and the service and the place in general. miss the duck, but the veal piccata is superb! and tiramisu to die for...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, Location, LocationStanleymanlyVIPDined on 4/24/2014Great location, near the Academy of Music and the Kimmel Center, handy for pre-theatre or after-theatre, been there for a long time, but appears to be sliding downhill. Warm but clumsy greeting. Maybe it was the crying baby that soured the mood, but the infant would not stop wailing, until the parents finally left. At 8:45 the restaurant was one-third full, with a private party of about 12 in a separate room. Decent wine list, fairly priced. Waiter seemed inexperienced. We shared a beet salad and asked for dressing on the side. It arrived drenched in dressing. We sent it back. My chicken breast was dry, the vegetables overdone.
- excellent mealVINPOLDined on 4/24/2014EAch of us enjoyed our entree choices. the service was personable and friendly and efficient. we felt relaxed and really enjoyed our dinner there.Special Features: