231 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varalliusa.com/
- Phone: (215) 546-6800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Private group luncheons can be arranged by contacting our special events coordinator Brian Datesman @ 215-546-6800
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: William Carroll
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Varalli Restaurant can accommodate large parties of 10 or more people. An array of rooms and spaces are available that are versatile and flexible for your dining needs. Varalli Restaurant has 24+ years experience in coordinating private events. See for yourself the Varalli difference.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Datesman 2155466800
A word from Varalli Restaurant
Residing in the heart of Philadelphia’s Center City, Varalli Restaurant reflects the elegance and artistry of its Avenue of the Arts location. A dining destination for over 24 years, Varalli Restaurant is conveniently located within a few blocks of the Convention Center, major hotels, theaters and arts venues. This restaurant boasts playful decorative accents that give each dining room the distinction of a chic gallery featuring whimsical oceanic sculptural details and a unique illuminated glass fusion mosaic. The menu’s Northern Italian and Mediterranean-style seafood dishes are works of art in their own rights and promise flavorful distractions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Varalli Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)special occasion (39)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (29)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (14)late-night find (13)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- francophileDined on 11/15/2014The good food, pleasant atmosphere, and friendly service make Varalli's an excellent choice for dining after performances at the Academy of Music or the Kimmel Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceMaggieDined on 11/7/2014Our dinner was delicious. Service was prompt and courteous. First question from pur waiter was'8 o'clock curtain'. They make sure to get patrops served in a timely manner without rushing. Plenty of staff to assist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!AconebyDined on 11/7/2014I had a wonderful experience at Varalli's. We ordered the $35 prix fixe four course "Beat the Crowd" tasting menu, and it was excellent. The staff was very courteous and respectful of our time constraints since we had a show to catch later that evening. All of the food was wonderful, especially the lobster ravioli which was out of this world delicious! I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great mealatVaralliToddDined on 11/1/2014As always the service , food and atmosphere at Varalli was great. I would highly recommend dining here. We are never disappointed. Make sure you allow enough time for a drink at the bar, they have some great special drinks.Special Features:
- Pleasant ambiance, not-so-good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014Everything is lovely--ambiance, lighting, charming and attentive waitress. The menu descriptions sound wonderful, but the food is very mundane. I could easily make it myself without learning anything new. The moderately high prices are not justified by the ordinary food.
- Theater go toshowmonkeyDined on 10/31/2014I go the to theater all the time and was lucky enough to find this restaurant. It's a great place to go before a show. If you let them know that you have tickets to a show they are vey accommodating in serving your meal in a timely manner that allows you to enjoy without rushing to finish. I've never felt rushed and the service has always been friendly. I love the food, staff and décor. It's a wonderful start to our night out.Special Features:
- triamisu to die for!!!!latinprofVIPDined on 10/30/2014always wonderful service and THE best tiramisu in the area.Special Features:
- Good choice before theaterallanDined on 10/29/2014We were there at 5:30 and were seated immediately in the quiet section which features very comfortable booths. It was nice to be able to hear our dinner companions. As the tables began to fill around us the noise level remained very low. The other three dinners were all apparently delicious. Mine (the pork mignon) was too dry for my taste. I do know that pork must be cooked thoroughly but I would have liked this a little less done. We shared 2 desserts which were good. Our waiter was most pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:
- Glad to write this reviewDadmeisterDined on 10/26/2014I have been to Varalli's a few times over the years and always had a good meal. My last visit before this one was very disappointing. Perhaps it was a fluke as I will say this visit was excellent. Both salads were spectacular. My wild boar pasta was great. Service was very good. We will be back.Special Features:
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/24/2014Met here for dinner before attending an event in Philadelphia. Had not been here for a few years. Food was excellent. Will definitely go back soon !Special Features:
- A Stop Before the Big ShowoutoftowntheatergoerDined on 10/24/2014My friend and I ate at Varalli's just before a concert at the Verizon Hall. We were late due to heavy Friday afternoon traffic on I-95, but the restaurant worked with us and accommodated our time contraints. The waiter was excellent and our food was timely presented. The presentation was beautiful and colorful and the taste was outstanding. We were quite pleased at the restaurant's location, just a block away from the Kimmel Center. With a brief walk we were at the center and ready for the event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/23/2014I have been dining at Varellis since it was Upstares at Varellis years ago. I have always enjoyed the food. The current restaurant offers exceptional service and I enjoy viewing the world outside through the large windows in the front dining room. Our servers have always been friendly and efficient. I can't think of anything that they need to improve to make the experience better. It is an affordable restaurant with good food and great service.Special Features:
- Top notchBaccalaVIPDined on 10/23/2014We have eaten here many times and always find it of the highest quality. The food is simply wonderful and the service is faultless.Special Features:
- always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014I have been to Varalli a few times pre-theater with my mom. Food and service are always good.Special Features:
- Magical birthday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Warm welcoming entrance! Delightful service, delectable food, timely drinks and magical atmosphere, party of five had a blast. We'll be celebrating all of October, 2014! Thank you much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded our expectationsFanOfPhillyDiningDined on 10/18/2014Get beyond the slightly dated motif and you will find super friendly service and a meal that will leave you smiling for days! Ask for a table in Joe's section and he'll guide you through your fine dining experience with menu suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude, inattentive, not pre-theatre!AmyJosephineVIPDined on 10/18/2014"You have no bill! I will not be able to get you served!" With these words, the dining room manager dismissed us from our pre-theatre dinner after we had been sitting at the table for almost an hour having been served only our drinks. There was no apology for the dismal lack of service, or for the inattentive waiter or incompetent kitchen. We were merely told that there would be no food and asked rather brusquely to be on our way. If you are planning on attending an event on Broad Street and having dinner prior to the show, please don't waste your time with Varalli. Dine at one of the many wonderful restaurants within walking distance. There are many terrific choices along Broad Street. This restaurant is not worth your time.
- Wonderful experience!DMC1Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent service and food. I loved the grilled artichoke hearts. The menu was filled with so many wonderful items I had a difficult time choosing! We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerMarilynDined on 10/17/2014We went to Varalli's for my husband's birthday-WONDERFUL dinner!Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 10/16/2014Still one of the best for pre-theater or pre-orchestra dining based on location, food, reasonable prices and the server's attention to performance schedules. This time, I had a nice Caesar salad made with young kale, a twist on the usual preparation with romaine. Our salmon and lobster ravioli entrees were tasty. Varalli is aways very good.Special Features:
- Boy was it loud!Trying2BKindDined on 10/16/2014I had been to Varalli's once before and loved it. My group of 7 were the only ones in the restaurant and every one of us thought the food was great. Based on that experience, I decided to take my husband there recently for our 15 year anniversary and we were both really disappointed in the experience. We were sitting by the bar and the noise level was so high that we couldn't hear each other talk. I decided to get the dessert to go because we were both getting a headache from the noise level and we couldn't wait to get out of there. The food was good enought but coupled with the service being really slow and the noise level, I'm reluctant to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMaestraBDined on 10/14/2014I hadn't been back to Varalli for some time, and was looking forward to it. Started out well -- we had requested a quiet spot and they actually had one! The appetizers were quite good. However, although the server had asked if we were going to the theater, which we were, our main courses came out very late (just 30 minutes before our curtain time), and only after we had reminded her. The pasta dish was good, but the veal, which two of us had, was just mediocre.
- great foodjerzeeboyDined on 10/10/2014everything was fantastic, the only problem i encountered was the price to portion size. the portions could have been bigger especially for the prices, which seemed a bit high. other than that it was great.Special Features:
- GO thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Its a great place with great food , the chef / chef's have very interesting flavors going on there. It's a must do!Special Features:
- ALWAYS GR8 food & servicelatinprofVIPDined on 10/8/2014Reliable, friendly and delicious...characterize the main attributes of Varalli's. Never go wrong with any item on menu, all good quality and well prepared and tasty. Try the tiramisu for dessert...YUMMY!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Outstanding cusine as usual, service is always good. They are always mindful of show times at local theaters making sure that you are able to make your show times.Special Features:
- ExcellentChristij908Dined on 10/4/2014You know that you have a gem when your guests rave about the food. Everytime I have eaten at Varalli, I have been amazed by the food. It is absolutely delicious. The waitstaff and bartenders are friendly and make each guest feel welcomed. If you want a good meal, whether for that special occassion or just because..this is the place to go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greasy foodHopefulVIPDined on 10/3/2014All dishes drenched in oil. Waiter unctuous with absurd fake accent. Food was good one year ago. Terrible now.
- CharlesCharlesDined on 10/1/2014We were running quite late for dinner and show and the restaurant held our table and was ready to give us fast service. They went above and beyond the call of duty. The staff was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outandaboutDined on 9/28/2014Our dinner at Varalli restaurant was exceptional. The service was excellent. The host could not have been nicer and he gave us a window view which was great for people watching. The waiter was helpful with deciding what entree to choose and what wine would pair well with it. The veal piccata was excellent and the wine list was good. I would recommend this restaurant when you're in town - especially after a matinee concert.Special Features:
- CharlesCharlesDined on 9/27/2014Excellent center city dining at reasonable price. Great place prior to a show or concert. The staff is excellent and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect pre-concert restauranttheaterloverVIPDined on 9/27/2014Varalli's sits right on Broad Street across from the Academy of Music. It's a great spot to people-watch Broad Street. We split a great wild mushroom flatbread for an appetizer. My husband had the special pasta for that night which was lobster, and I had their penne putanesca. Both were very good. I had a ton of pasta leftover. My waitress offered to box it up; when I said "Oh we're heading to the Orchestra," she said "I can put it away and you can pick it up afterwards if you'd like." So we did just that, and had it for lunch the next day. I thought that very thoughtful....above and beyond the call of duty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varalli's never disappoints!barbaraVIPDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I met my sister and brother-in-law for lunch. We ordered drinks, the Jumbo Shrimp & Andouille appetizer, wild mushroom soup, the salmon, Melanzane pasta, and steak. All were delicious. My sister is fussy about her gin, and it was perfect. My brother-in-law raved about his steak. My mushroom soup was the best I've ever had, and the salmon and pasta were excellent. Our server was friendly and efficient, got the details of our orders perfect, and made sure we were finished in plenty of time for our event.Special Features:
- Very Good!DineClssyDined on 9/20/2014We had a nice time at Varalli. I often do not venture into city to eat but this night was a first date and I wanted to make it classy. The service was excellent and the ambiance was was romantic and young. Our waiter was confident and knowledgeable but did not bug us during our meal, yet was present at the right times. The food was very tasty. Our shrimp appetizer was delicious and each of our entrees-pan seared pork and herb crusted salmon-were cooked perfectly with great flavor. I'm happy with my choice as this was the perfect balance of great food, great atmosphere, great location, but did not break the bank. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molto Bene!LipcheesVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was my first time at this restaurant but it was recommended by a friend. This place was conveniently located in Center City so a short walk from my hotel. I ordered the veal piccata with a side order of linguini (olive oil on the side as requested). The meal was delicious - solid Italian food! I will definitely return as there were other items on the dinner menu that I'm interested in trying. The service was very attentive without being overbearing and the host made me feel very welcome.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014Excellent Restaurant Week value . . . Hearty soup; appetizer (mine, delectable mushrooms stuffed with hot sausage); fair selection of fish, meat, and pasta entrees; and both carb-y and low-carb desserts. Only complaints: filet mignon overly salted and bread pudding too dense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and RomanticPeacefulLuvDined on 9/18/2014I went to Varalli with my mate during Center City restaurant week, and I must say we really enjoyed ourselves! The host was very upbeat and friendly. As soon as we arrived, he greeted us warmly and was very accommodating. The table that was reserved for us was by the window, but we wanted a more romantic and quiet area. He gave us a large booth on the other side of the water feature, with which we were very happy. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive. Overall, the food was delicious. We were not impressed with the butternut squash soup they offered (way too much cinnamon), but since we ordered extra appetizers (calamari/mussels). The lobster ravioli was exceptional! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Consistantly great food and serviceSunshineVIPDined on 9/16/2014Consistantly great food and service, year after year! Comfortable/ spacious seating, great ambiance and fantastic people watching at the north east corner of the Avenue of the Arts and Locust street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit to PhillyFirsttimerVIPDined on 9/13/2014It was our last night in Philly and we were in the mood for Italian. We went to Varalli. We asked for a private booth and they were very accommodating. The service was top notch. We went with the "restaurant week" menu and enjoyed everything. We would definitely return again!
- Nicest people!BethyLovesFoodDined on 9/12/2014Went to Varalli for restaurant week and had a great time. The food was good and the portions were a decent size for a fixed price menu. The staff was incredibly kind and helpful. Will dine again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.