Vanessa's Bistro 2
1512 Locust St
Walnut Creek, CA 94696Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
Vanessa's Bistro 2
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanessasbistro2.com/
- Phone: 9258914790
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday & Wednesday: 11:00am- 9:00pm, Tuesday & Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Vanessa Dang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering menu is available for off-site delivery for any size parties. Please give us a call for details.
A word from Vanessa's Bistro 2
With over 25 years of culinary experience, Chef Vanessa Dang, brings to Walnut Creek Vietnamese tapas with a French twist. In just three short years, the success of Vanessa's Bistro in Berkeley has allowed Vanessa to open a second location in the heart of downtown Walnut Creek. With over 60 wines by the bottle, 40 wines by the glass, a full bar, and an assertion of delicious tapas on the menu, Vanessa's Bistro 2 will not disappoint your expectations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vanessa's Bistro 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (31)great for lunch (26)hot spot (16)good for groups (15)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- WCDinerDined on 10/17/2014Was a bit disappointed in Vanessa's 2. The food was ok, but nothing outstanding. Many of the dishes seemed to be missing flavor; something that is unusual for a Vietnamese restaurant. Probably won't return.Special Features:
- Great flavor creationsDateNightDined on 10/16/2014The Happy Hour Tapa's for $6 are a great way to try different dishes. Although the portions are small, the flavor of some of the dishes and quality of the ingredients are an experience worth repeating. Our favorites were the tapa - Thinly Sliced Filet Mignon Carpaccio, Fried Shallots, Asian Herbs, Roasted Peanuts; and the main dishes Pan Seared Miso Soy & Honey Atlantic Salmon Garnished w/ Pineapple Relish; and Spicy Coconut Curry Chicken(White Meat) W/ Potatoes, Carrots, Bell Peppers, and Mushrooms. There are small tables along the sidewalk for those that want to eat outside. The downtown area is designated a "No Smoking" area, so even non smokers can enjoy the outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLocalgDined on 10/10/2014This was our second time dining at Vanessa's. The first time we had lunch and very unique bloody Mary's. Excellent food, best Bloody Mary we've ever had, great service. Our next visit was last friday night. We were greeted and seated quickly and had an ideal waiter. He graciously opened the bottle we brought and was there whenever we needed him. The food really stands out.Fesh, unique flavors in each dish. From our sweet & sour soup, salads and fish main courses, all were delicious. This place stands out in a city that has an abundance of restaraunt choices.Special Features:
- MimiMimiVIPDined on 10/7/2014We really enjoy tapas Tuesdays.....great to try all the possibilities. Very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodFancyVIPDined on 10/6/2014The menu is very well done. It has something for everyone.Special Features:
- Great FoodCarolVIPDined on 9/28/2014Love this place the tapas are wonderful. The food and the service is great. I have now had the whole menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour!QueerprincessDined on 9/27/2014We had the happy hour plates ($6 each). 5 of them were perfect for two of us. The panko-fried fish tacos were so good we ordered them twice! The spring rolls were also delicious. Friendly fast service and a relaxing ambiance.Special Features:
- Best in Walnut CreektasteSeekerDined on 9/26/2014The chef is a master. Amazing blend of ingredients to create an assortment of perfectly matched subtle tastes in each dish. Recommend the crab stuffed sole.Special Features:
- Good Vietnamese in WCBabsinWCVIPDined on 9/26/2014Overall the food was good. Loved the prawn and scallops in curry sauce. The duck lettuce wrap was excellent as was the beef carpaccio. The slow cooked pork with chipotle and tortilla strips was a big disappointment. The meat was dry and had no hint of chipotle. I couldn't eat it. Also disappointing was the trouble I went to to make reservations on Open Table and specifically asking for a table by the window and then not have them even look at my request. They tried to put us at the table closest to the hostess station which is really undesirable. I spoke up and then they looked for a better table. Not impressed.
- Consistently superbK8atuDined on 9/25/2014Been coming here for several years now. My go to place for family, friends and clients. Mike and his crew NEVER LET ME DOWN, and the food is always a cut above the rest of the WC offerings. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top spot in Walnut CreekAllioopsDined on 9/20/2014Food is excellent. Drinks are strong. Service is great. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sharing ResturanttaviDined on 9/20/2014Great to take family or friends who like to share. Plates are big enough to share with 4 people. Nice variety of flavors from Steak to Prawns! I liked my Mojito, but my husband did not like his Special cocktail with gin that was like a Martini. Great service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Vanessas's Food and Wine!WendyDined on 9/17/2014I visited on Wednesdays for their half off any bottle of wine- of course we bought 2. Their wine manager personally came over to tell us about the wine, and make sure we were happy with our choice. The food was amazing- as usual. I have never had something here I did not enjoy. Our table shared a handful of tapas and sandwiches. A friend who normally doesn't like fish, loved the fish tacos! Dessert, banana bread pudding and bananas foster were so amazing! This place is a little pricier, but well worth it!Special Features:
- Great food!LuvfoodDined on 9/6/2014This was my 2nd visit to Vanessa's Bistro in the past couple of months and the food was amazing! Loved the martinis and cocktail list. The calamari steak apps was delicious, as well as the eggplant, filet, spring rolls, and everything else we had. I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timesfrugaldinerDined on 9/5/2014Great food and easy on the pocket book. The restraunt is quaint and very cozy. I will be going back for more. Great time for small groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing!1stMalkaDined on 9/5/2014On Friday, 5th September, we made reservation for dinner with friends before the theater performance. The noise level was unbearable - we could not hear each other across the table! We asked the manager to at least turn down the music that added to the chaotic feeling of the place. The food was OK but.... we will definitely find a different place to have dinner in downtown Walnut Creek. As a side note: we loved the "Bosphorus" restaurant that was there before!
- YummyYummyDined on 9/2/2014I have wanted to try Vanessa's Bistro 2 for a long time. Finally made it for lunch on a Tuesday which is half price tapas day! We ordered 5 different tapas that were all delicious. Service was great (not crowded since it was 11am on Tuesday) and very friendly and knowledgeable. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonniVIPDined on 8/31/2014Fabulous meal as always! My favorite entre is the clay pot chicken. I love the spicy basil tomato martini! There were 4 adults and 2 children and I think we ate almost everything on the menu! Always delicious! And the service is fantastic - wait staff extremely attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was wonderful as usual. Love the crab sandwich also the salt and pepper shrimp. The desserts are amazing especially the Banana's Foster.Special Features:
- Great happy hour plates and drinksNMlunchDined on 8/18/2014Vanessa's has reasonably priced happy hour plates and drinks makes for a great spot to gather with friends after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little place...HUlagirlVIPDined on 8/18/2014...in Walnut Creek. I went there for lunch and we ordered several of the tapas plates (all priced $9 at lunch time) All were tasty; the food is innovative takes on traditional Vietnamese dishes. Vanessa's is a small place and as it started filling up, the one waiter seemed to get a little frazzled. There are specials every day; Monday is $6 margarita day.Special Features:
- Distinct Vietnamese FlavorsTheStarLadyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The new location for Vanessa’s Bistro 2 is less than half the size of its former self, but the menu is exciting Vietnamese and the flavors varied and rich. Our party of four enjoyed the jumbo prawns with noodles, the trout, duck lettuce wraps, and the duck leg entrée. The calamari was not remarkable and could be skipped. The hostess and our waitress were both super friendly and attentive. The noise level is really deafening, making conversation a bit challenging. If you are a late night snacker, at 9pm they begin happy hour again for both food and drinks. The food is really tasty and the small plates are great for sharing. Ambiance is very casual with prices to match.Special Features:
- This is not the Vanessa's of oldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The owner was very aggressive about getting us to order, telling us he needed to turn tables over in order to make money (by the way there was no one waiting). The restaurant was so loud it was hard to hear over the table. The food remains good but I would opt out of eating here. It was not a good dining experience. Seems like Vanessa needs to teach her son about customer service.Special Features:
- EatingInWCDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food much served in small plates so you and your companions can sample lots of different dishes. Very fresh and flavorful. Attentive service. Plan to go again.Special Features:
- Good for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014It's exactly what it advertises to be: a bistro. The food is fast, pretty good, and a nice place downtown for small plates during happy hour. A dining destination it is not. "Foodies" will not be impressed unless shredded carrots are your fave. We tried several of the small plates and the carpaccios (tuna and beef) were perhaps the best (although meager amounts ). The chicken wings were nice. Saigon chicken rolls reminded one of the taquitos one gets out of the grocery freezer section, and the spring rolls were a couple of cut up vermacelli rolls wrapped in rice paper. The curry dishes were attractive but nothing special and the price point was high. Service is adequate but our waitress disappeared when it was time to pay.Special Features:
- Tasty "tapas"OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2014Had a late-ish dinner with our daughter (who wound up being almost an hour late). Delicious panko shrimp - my husband is from the Gulf Coast and we know shrimp! These were delicate, perfectly cooked and crusted little bites. The lemongrass chicken was delicious with lots of nuanced Vietnamese flavors. The orange filet mignon was a new addition to the menu and it, too, was well cooked and the orange flavor was perfect - not overwhelming. The jasmine-tini was wonderful and worked well with the food. The cocktail list is very vodka-heavy, but the bar can make whatever you like. Great dinner - will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOutofthecountryDined on 8/4/2014Food was tasty and on time. Hadn't seen my friend in two years and they let us stay and talk.Special Features:
- BlindedDisappointedDined on 8/1/2014We had made a reservation but were seated at a table that was known to have a problem. Light reflecting off a car parked outside and also the shiny surface of the table next to us was really blinding to two of us on one side of the tables. While the owner did respond to our concern, he was quite defensive and made no real attempt to solve the problem. Also, the food while creative in name was in truth not very flavorful and some dishes were messy to eat. Hand wipes would have been nice.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We really enjoyed everything. Although the server was great, the food runners/bussers were very attentive, pulling all empty plates, wiping crumbs off the table, bringing out the food etc. The food was delicious! I would definitely recommend this place to everyone. We found it through Passport Unlimited and was happy with our choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is great but very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014VB2 had to move into a smaller space from their original spot on Main St. Unfortunately due to the smaller size it is extremely loud. But you forget about that as they are throwing the food in front of you just minutes after you order. And the food does not disappoint. I'm Vietnamese and while its not mom's home cooking, it has certain flair and flavors you don't get at home. I've tried many of their dishes and all are must trys. Depending on your likes and palate all the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious food-authentic VietnameseWater2wineDined on 7/12/2014This is a great place for foodies as the food is as close to authentic Vietnamese food in Contra Costa. I lived in Asia and had authentic Vietnamese food. This is not too Americanized as many Chinese restaurants are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!RonniVIPDined on 7/5/2014I am a frequent customer at Vanessa's. We were a group of 4 on Saturday night. Everything was delicious, as usual! I especially love their spicy Martini - it is fantastic! We had several dishes and they were all terrific - slow oven roasted pork, duck confit, sautéed green beans, jumbo prawns and garlic noodles, potstickers, shaking filet mignon and vermicelli noodles, and my favorites. claypot rice! I will be back this week for lunch for my daughter's birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer tapasSkottfreeVIPDined on 6/24/2014My favorite spot in Walnut Creek. Tapas Tuesdays is the best deal in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 390 reviews are from the Vanessa's Bistro 2 reviews archive.
- Great great server, perfect foodkhWalnutCreekDined on 6/14/2014As working parents of 2 little ones, we don't get out much, so when we do, we usually go here because it is delicious and a great experience every time. I wish I remember the name of our wonderful server--she was so great! The entire staff always seems to have a great team-centric effort and positive attitude. We love this place!Special Features:
- Unexpected!GoCalDined on 6/13/2014I need to find a place that opens late & takes reservation for a after graduation party. Someone in the group doesn't like American food, and another doesn't like Asian food. I am always against fusion food. However, I did have a pretty enjoyable dinner. Everyone had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4ThoughtDined on 6/6/2014There were 5 of us to celebrate a birthday. The wait staff was quite accommodating. We brought a bottle of wine and they opened promptly (corkage fee of $15.00 is reasonable), they put a candle in our friend's dessert, the food was brought to the table quickly and it was quite tasty (small plates to share). One of the appetizers only had 4 items and we requested just 1 more piece, they brought a whole additional order and said they would not charge for it. It was tasty and good ambience....lively on a Friday night. The only oddity was the menu states a 20% service charge for parties of 6 or more and they attached the 20% without telling us and we were only 5. I will go back somsetime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceNiecyDined on 5/31/2014Vanessa's was perfect for dinner on Saturday. The food is creative and delicious and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great serviceStevieDined on 5/31/2014The food was varied and very good, and it came out promptly. The server was very helpful, and we enjoyed our dinner a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unhappy dinerSFFoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014"Even though the tapas plates are reasonable, the kitchen really didn't deliver. The shrimp spring rolls had no sprouts, an abundance of noodles and very little shrimp. The crab salad had the wrong dressing, basically vey salty, soy sauce rather than a lemon, ginger vinaigrette, very little greens. The crab sandwich was primarily a hefty bread roll with minute amount of crab salad. There was also misunderstanding on the diner's part about the use of The Passport Card, but as a result, both lunches were comped, which was not the intention of my partner nor I. We both felt the snarky manager thought this was our intention. Basically the entire experience was very unpleasant."
- Good service, good foodEastbayeaterDined on 5/25/2014The duck confit was a tad dry but very tasty. We also enjoyed the petrale sole stuffed with crab and the jumbo shrimp with pasta very much. The staff was very nice, though we felt a little rushed even though there was no line waiting for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.