Vanessa's Bistro 2
1512 Locust St
Walnut Creek, CA 94696Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
Vanessa's Bistro 2
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanessasbistro2.com/
- Phone: (925) 891-4790
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday & Wednesday: 11:00am- 9:00pm, Tuesday & Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Vanessa Dang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering menu is available for off-site delivery for any size parties. Please give us a call for details.
A word from Vanessa's Bistro 2
With over 25 years of culinary experience, Chef Vanessa Dang, brings to Walnut Creek Vietnamese tapas with a French twist. In just three short years, the success of Vanessa's Bistro in Berkeley has allowed Vanessa to open a second location in the heart of downtown Walnut Creek. With over 60 wines by the bottle, 40 wines by the glass, a full bar, and an assertion of delicious tapas on the menu, Vanessa's Bistro 2 will not disappoint your expectations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVietnamese
Vanessa's Bistro 2 - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Vanessa's Bistro 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (27)good for groups (17)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (13)special occasion (12)notable wine list (10)late-night find (7)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2014too noisy for our taste, nice for younger folks for bar scene, festive meal. Food very good but I would not say excellent...not sure if choices were really traditional vietnamese.Special Features:
- They use too many spiceScorpionVIPDined on 11/22/2014They should use less spice. I could not tell what I was eatingSpecial Features:
- Very disappointing. Would not go back.foodluvrDined on 11/19/2014The crab sandwich was essentially bread. The portion of crab was miniscule - really an embarrassment on the part of Vanessa's. Both of us ordered this sandwich and agreed that it was unacceptable. We did express our displeasure to the server. He replied that the owner prides herself on the quality of the bread which she purchases from a source in Oakland. Also, the pot of jasmine tea was lukewarm. When a server stopped at our table to check on our tea, he said "Oh, you are OK" and rushed off. The pot was at least half-full of lukewarm water.
- Love the delicious small platescyclegirl7Dined on 11/17/2014Vanessa's new location is better for parking, but the room is quite small, and therefore a bit noisy. But the food is outstanding. For our group of six, we ordered a variety of plates to share. The duck was incredible -- succulent, juicy, and the sauce was amazing. The service is also outstanding. We went on "maragarita night" -- their drinks were mixed very well, and not as sweet as most restaurant bars make them. Perfect! I wish they didn't have any TV screens in the room. It's a distraction from the dining experience. We will come back again and again. Vanessa's is one of our favorites -- you can order as much or as little as you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014Excellent and extensive menu - everything we had was delicious. And every order came very quickly, so our "small plates" were always fresh from the kitchen. Only one criticism - A member of the restaurant staff asked our group (5 people) to leave very soon after we had paid our check. We were still talking and there were several open tables in the restaurant with no other people waiting. This detracted from what had been a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Small PlatesHappyVIPDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I really enjoy sharing food and this restaurant fit the bill. Every dish was so taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tempted Tasted Buds!gbertolozziVIPDined on 11/15/2014I wanted to try everything which is good because it gives me a reason to go back. Everything we tried was really good. We sat upstairs where it was much quieter and we could talk and hear each other. Downstairs is much more vibrant and if we were with a bunch of people it'd be the place for us to site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, reasonable pricesMaatkareVIPDined on 11/10/2014The food at Vanessa's is excellent and inventive. Great salads, especially Shaking Filet Mignon. Also excellent desserts. Good wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy!didinerDined on 11/8/2014Do NOT eat upstairs! It is noisy and the service suffers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK if you are in the neighborhoodMJaneDined on 11/8/2014The dishes varied between meh and good. OK if you are nearby but not worth travelling to. The fresh spring rolls were dull, all rice noodles and bean sprouts, no herbs besides a couple pieces of mint and only 2 slivers of shrimp per roll so most bites were just noodles and sprouts. Would not order this again. The preparation of ahi tuna carpaccio was too tex-mex. The sauteed scallops and prawns in thai basil coconut curry was very good, as was the pecan pie. The ambiance was nice rather than the typical mom & pop style and the full bar was a definite plus.
- Great drinks and tapasLuv2dineWALDined on 11/7/2014Great tapas selection. Great drinks menu. On the pricey side. Customer service was a bit overwhelming. Waitress come over and interrupted our conversation every five minutes asking us if we were ready to order after we had asked her to provide us more time. Then once the food was brought out she would come over and ask if we were done while there was plenty of food still left on our plates. Not sure if they just needed to clear the table but there were plenty of open tables for others.Special Features:
- Great Happy Hour!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014The tapas on Tuesdays are half price, and you can feast on wonderful dishes for half price. In a corner, it was hard to hear over the general buzz in the place.Special Features:
- small plates, good servicemamatoallDined on 11/3/2014plan on 3 tapas per person for a meal. a bit on the pricy side for what you get. Great place for light appetizers.Special Features:
- ok but underwhelmedMsFoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had the green papaya salad, chicken curry and eggplant. All were basic renditions of Vietnamese standards and nothing was outstanding. The eggplant was greasy and didn't have much seasoning (basil was missing). The papaya salad tasted mostly of sesame oil. The curry was too sweet. We probably won't go back.Special Features:
- WCDinerDined on 10/17/2014Was a bit disappointed in Vanessa's 2. The food was ok, but nothing outstanding. Many of the dishes seemed to be missing flavor; something that is unusual for a Vietnamese restaurant. Probably won't return.Special Features:
- Great flavor creationsDateNightDined on 10/16/2014The Happy Hour Tapa's for $6 are a great way to try different dishes. Although the portions are small, the flavor of some of the dishes and quality of the ingredients are an experience worth repeating. Our favorites were the tapa - Thinly Sliced Filet Mignon Carpaccio, Fried Shallots, Asian Herbs, Roasted Peanuts; and the main dishes Pan Seared Miso Soy & Honey Atlantic Salmon Garnished w/ Pineapple Relish; and Spicy Coconut Curry Chicken(White Meat) W/ Potatoes, Carrots, Bell Peppers, and Mushrooms. There are small tables along the sidewalk for those that want to eat outside. The downtown area is designated a "No Smoking" area, so even non smokers can enjoy the outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLocalgDined on 10/10/2014This was our second time dining at Vanessa's. The first time we had lunch and very unique bloody Mary's. Excellent food, best Bloody Mary we've ever had, great service. Our next visit was last friday night. We were greeted and seated quickly and had an ideal waiter. He graciously opened the bottle we brought and was there whenever we needed him. The food really stands out.Fesh, unique flavors in each dish. From our sweet & sour soup, salads and fish main courses, all were delicious. This place stands out in a city that has an abundance of restaraunt choices.Special Features:
- MimiMimiVIPDined on 10/7/2014We really enjoy tapas Tuesdays.....great to try all the possibilities. Very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodFancyVIPDined on 10/6/2014The menu is very well done. It has something for everyone.Special Features:
- Great FoodCarolVIPDined on 9/28/2014Love this place the tapas are wonderful. The food and the service is great. I have now had the whole menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour!QueerprincessDined on 9/27/2014We had the happy hour plates ($6 each). 5 of them were perfect for two of us. The panko-fried fish tacos were so good we ordered them twice! The spring rolls were also delicious. Friendly fast service and a relaxing ambiance.Special Features:
- Best in Walnut CreektasteSeekerDined on 9/26/2014The chef is a master. Amazing blend of ingredients to create an assortment of perfectly matched subtle tastes in each dish. Recommend the crab stuffed sole.Special Features:
- Good Vietnamese in WCBabsinWCVIPDined on 9/26/2014Overall the food was good. Loved the prawn and scallops in curry sauce. The duck lettuce wrap was excellent as was the beef carpaccio. The slow cooked pork with chipotle and tortilla strips was a big disappointment. The meat was dry and had no hint of chipotle. I couldn't eat it. Also disappointing was the trouble I went to to make reservations on Open Table and specifically asking for a table by the window and then not have them even look at my request. They tried to put us at the table closest to the hostess station which is really undesirable. I spoke up and then they looked for a better table. Not impressed.
- Consistently superbK8atuDined on 9/25/2014Been coming here for several years now. My go to place for family, friends and clients. Mike and his crew NEVER LET ME DOWN, and the food is always a cut above the rest of the WC offerings. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top spot in Walnut CreekAllioopsDined on 9/20/2014Food is excellent. Drinks are strong. Service is great. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sharing ResturanttaviDined on 9/20/2014Great to take family or friends who like to share. Plates are big enough to share with 4 people. Nice variety of flavors from Steak to Prawns! I liked my Mojito, but my husband did not like his Special cocktail with gin that was like a Martini. Great service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Vanessas's Food and Wine!WendyDined on 9/17/2014I visited on Wednesdays for their half off any bottle of wine- of course we bought 2. Their wine manager personally came over to tell us about the wine, and make sure we were happy with our choice. The food was amazing- as usual. I have never had something here I did not enjoy. Our table shared a handful of tapas and sandwiches. A friend who normally doesn't like fish, loved the fish tacos! Dessert, banana bread pudding and bananas foster were so amazing! This place is a little pricier, but well worth it!Special Features:
- Great food!LuvfoodDined on 9/6/2014This was my 2nd visit to Vanessa's Bistro in the past couple of months and the food was amazing! Loved the martinis and cocktail list. The calamari steak apps was delicious, as well as the eggplant, filet, spring rolls, and everything else we had. I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timesfrugaldinerDined on 9/5/2014Great food and easy on the pocket book. The restraunt is quaint and very cozy. I will be going back for more. Great time for small groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing!1stMalkaDined on 9/5/2014On Friday, 5th September, we made reservation for dinner with friends before the theater performance. The noise level was unbearable - we could not hear each other across the table! We asked the manager to at least turn down the music that added to the chaotic feeling of the place. The food was OK but.... we will definitely find a different place to have dinner in downtown Walnut Creek. As a side note: we loved the "Bosphorus" restaurant that was there before!
- YummyYummyDined on 9/2/2014I have wanted to try Vanessa's Bistro 2 for a long time. Finally made it for lunch on a Tuesday which is half price tapas day! We ordered 5 different tapas that were all delicious. Service was great (not crowded since it was 11am on Tuesday) and very friendly and knowledgeable. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonniVIPDined on 8/31/2014Fabulous meal as always! My favorite entre is the clay pot chicken. I love the spicy basil tomato martini! There were 4 adults and 2 children and I think we ate almost everything on the menu! Always delicious! And the service is fantastic - wait staff extremely attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014The food here is worth remembering and delightful for foodies. Brought our friends visiting from Hongkong and they agreed that the food was great. They said they will recommend this to their family as well to widen their restaurant choices and they will definitely comeback with or without us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was wonderful as usual. Love the crab sandwich also the salt and pepper shrimp. The desserts are amazing especially the Banana's Foster.Special Features:
- Great happy hour plates and drinksNMlunchDined on 8/18/2014Vanessa's has reasonably priced happy hour plates and drinks makes for a great spot to gather with friends after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little place...HUlagirlVIPDined on 8/18/2014...in Walnut Creek. I went there for lunch and we ordered several of the tapas plates (all priced $9 at lunch time) All were tasty; the food is innovative takes on traditional Vietnamese dishes. Vanessa's is a small place and as it started filling up, the one waiter seemed to get a little frazzled. There are specials every day; Monday is $6 margarita day.Special Features:
- Distinct Vietnamese FlavorsTheStarLadyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The new location for Vanessa’s Bistro 2 is less than half the size of its former self, but the menu is exciting Vietnamese and the flavors varied and rich. Our party of four enjoyed the jumbo prawns with noodles, the trout, duck lettuce wraps, and the duck leg entrée. The calamari was not remarkable and could be skipped. The hostess and our waitress were both super friendly and attentive. The noise level is really deafening, making conversation a bit challenging. If you are a late night snacker, at 9pm they begin happy hour again for both food and drinks. The food is really tasty and the small plates are great for sharing. Ambiance is very casual with prices to match.Special Features:
- This is not the Vanessa's of oldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The owner was very aggressive about getting us to order, telling us he needed to turn tables over in order to make money (by the way there was no one waiting). The restaurant was so loud it was hard to hear over the table. The food remains good but I would opt out of eating here. It was not a good dining experience. Seems like Vanessa needs to teach her son about customer service.Special Features:
- EatingInWCDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food much served in small plates so you and your companions can sample lots of different dishes. Very fresh and flavorful. Attentive service. Plan to go again.Special Features:
- Good for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014It's exactly what it advertises to be: a bistro. The food is fast, pretty good, and a nice place downtown for small plates during happy hour. A dining destination it is not. "Foodies" will not be impressed unless shredded carrots are your fave. We tried several of the small plates and the carpaccios (tuna and beef) were perhaps the best (although meager amounts ). The chicken wings were nice. Saigon chicken rolls reminded one of the taquitos one gets out of the grocery freezer section, and the spring rolls were a couple of cut up vermacelli rolls wrapped in rice paper. The curry dishes were attractive but nothing special and the price point was high. Service is adequate but our waitress disappeared when it was time to pay.Special Features: