Vanessa's Bistro 2
1512 Locust St
Walnut Creek, CA 94696Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
Vanessa's Bistro 2
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanessasbistro2.com/
- Phone: 9258914790
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday & Wednesday: 11:00am- 9:00pm, Tuesday & Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Vanessa Dang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering menu is available for off-site delivery for any size parties. Please give us a call for details.
A word from Vanessa's Bistro 2
With over 25 years of culinary experience, Chef Vanessa Dang, brings to Walnut Creek Vietnamese tapas with a French twist. In just three short years, the success of Vanessa's Bistro in Berkeley has allowed Vanessa to open a second location in the heart of downtown Walnut Creek. With over 60 wines by the bottle, 40 wines by the glass, a full bar, and an assertion of delicious tapas on the menu, Vanessa's Bistro 2 will not disappoint your expectations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vanessa's Bistro 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (32)great for lunch (26)good for groups (21)special occasion (15)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)romantic (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great food!LuvfoodDined on 9/6/2014This was my 2nd visit to Vanessa's Bistro in the past couple of months and the food was amazing! Loved the martinis and cocktail list. The calamari steak apps was delicious, as well as the eggplant, filet, spring rolls, and everything else we had. I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timesfrugaldinerDined on 9/5/2014Great food and easy on the pocket book. The restraunt is quaint and very cozy. I will be going back for more. Great time for small groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing!1stMalkaDined on 9/5/2014On Friday, 5th September, we made reservation for dinner with friends before the theater performance. The noise level was unbearable - we could not hear each other across the table! We asked the manager to at least turn down the music that added to the chaotic feeling of the place. The food was OK but.... we will definitely find a different place to have dinner in downtown Walnut Creek. As a side note: we loved the "Bosphorus" restaurant that was there before!
- YummyYummyDined on 9/2/2014I have wanted to try Vanessa's Bistro 2 for a long time. Finally made it for lunch on a Tuesday which is half price tapas day! We ordered 5 different tapas that were all delicious. Service was great (not crowded since it was 11am on Tuesday) and very friendly and knowledgeable. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonniVIPDined on 8/31/2014Fabulous meal as always! My favorite entre is the clay pot chicken. I love the spicy basil tomato martini! There were 4 adults and 2 children and I think we ate almost everything on the menu! Always delicious! And the service is fantastic - wait staff extremely attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was wonderful as usual. Love the crab sandwich also the salt and pepper shrimp. The desserts are amazing especially the Banana's Foster.Special Features:
- Great happy hour plates and drinksNMlunchDined on 8/18/2014Vanessa's has reasonably priced happy hour plates and drinks makes for a great spot to gather with friends after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little place...HUlagirlVIPDined on 8/18/2014...in Walnut Creek. I went there for lunch and we ordered several of the tapas plates (all priced $9 at lunch time) All were tasty; the food is innovative takes on traditional Vietnamese dishes. Vanessa's is a small place and as it started filling up, the one waiter seemed to get a little frazzled. There are specials every day; Monday is $6 margarita day.Special Features:
- Distinct Vietnamese FlavorsTheStarLadyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The new location for Vanessa’s Bistro 2 is less than half the size of its former self, but the menu is exciting Vietnamese and the flavors varied and rich. Our party of four enjoyed the jumbo prawns with noodles, the trout, duck lettuce wraps, and the duck leg entrée. The calamari was not remarkable and could be skipped. The hostess and our waitress were both super friendly and attentive. The noise level is really deafening, making conversation a bit challenging. If you are a late night snacker, at 9pm they begin happy hour again for both food and drinks. The food is really tasty and the small plates are great for sharing. Ambiance is very casual with prices to match.Special Features:
- This is not the Vanessa's of oldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The owner was very aggressive about getting us to order, telling us he needed to turn tables over in order to make money (by the way there was no one waiting). The restaurant was so loud it was hard to hear over the table. The food remains good but I would opt out of eating here. It was not a good dining experience. Seems like Vanessa needs to teach her son about customer service.Special Features:
- EatingInWCDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food much served in small plates so you and your companions can sample lots of different dishes. Very fresh and flavorful. Attentive service. Plan to go again.Special Features:
- Good for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014It's exactly what it advertises to be: a bistro. The food is fast, pretty good, and a nice place downtown for small plates during happy hour. A dining destination it is not. "Foodies" will not be impressed unless shredded carrots are your fave. We tried several of the small plates and the carpaccios (tuna and beef) were perhaps the best (although meager amounts ). The chicken wings were nice. Saigon chicken rolls reminded one of the taquitos one gets out of the grocery freezer section, and the spring rolls were a couple of cut up vermacelli rolls wrapped in rice paper. The curry dishes were attractive but nothing special and the price point was high. Service is adequate but our waitress disappeared when it was time to pay.Special Features:
- Tasty "tapas"OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2014Had a late-ish dinner with our daughter (who wound up being almost an hour late). Delicious panko shrimp - my husband is from the Gulf Coast and we know shrimp! These were delicate, perfectly cooked and crusted little bites. The lemongrass chicken was delicious with lots of nuanced Vietnamese flavors. The orange filet mignon was a new addition to the menu and it, too, was well cooked and the orange flavor was perfect - not overwhelming. The jasmine-tini was wonderful and worked well with the food. The cocktail list is very vodka-heavy, but the bar can make whatever you like. Great dinner - will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOutofthecountryDined on 8/4/2014Food was tasty and on time. Hadn't seen my friend in two years and they let us stay and talk.Special Features:
- BlindedDisappointedDined on 8/1/2014We had made a reservation but were seated at a table that was known to have a problem. Light reflecting off a car parked outside and also the shiny surface of the table next to us was really blinding to two of us on one side of the tables. While the owner did respond to our concern, he was quite defensive and made no real attempt to solve the problem. Also, the food while creative in name was in truth not very flavorful and some dishes were messy to eat. Hand wipes would have been nice.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We really enjoyed everything. Although the server was great, the food runners/bussers were very attentive, pulling all empty plates, wiping crumbs off the table, bringing out the food etc. The food was delicious! I would definitely recommend this place to everyone. We found it through Passport Unlimited and was happy with our choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is great but very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014VB2 had to move into a smaller space from their original spot on Main St. Unfortunately due to the smaller size it is extremely loud. But you forget about that as they are throwing the food in front of you just minutes after you order. And the food does not disappoint. I'm Vietnamese and while its not mom's home cooking, it has certain flair and flavors you don't get at home. I've tried many of their dishes and all are must trys. Depending on your likes and palate all the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious food-authentic VietnameseWater2wineDined on 7/12/2014This is a great place for foodies as the food is as close to authentic Vietnamese food in Contra Costa. I lived in Asia and had authentic Vietnamese food. This is not too Americanized as many Chinese restaurants are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!RonniVIPDined on 7/5/2014I am a frequent customer at Vanessa's. We were a group of 4 on Saturday night. Everything was delicious, as usual! I especially love their spicy Martini - it is fantastic! We had several dishes and they were all terrific - slow oven roasted pork, duck confit, sautéed green beans, jumbo prawns and garlic noodles, potstickers, shaking filet mignon and vermicelli noodles, and my favorites. claypot rice! I will be back this week for lunch for my daughter's birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer tapasSkottfreeVIPDined on 6/24/2014My favorite spot in Walnut Creek. Tapas Tuesdays is the best deal in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great great server, perfect foodkhWalnutCreekDined on 6/14/2014As working parents of 2 little ones, we don't get out much, so when we do, we usually go here because it is delicious and a great experience every time. I wish I remember the name of our wonderful server--she was so great! The entire staff always seems to have a great team-centric effort and positive attitude. We love this place!Special Features:
- Unexpected!GoCalDined on 6/13/2014I need to find a place that opens late & takes reservation for a after graduation party. Someone in the group doesn't like American food, and another doesn't like Asian food. I am always against fusion food. However, I did have a pretty enjoyable dinner. Everyone had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4ThoughtDined on 6/6/2014There were 5 of us to celebrate a birthday. The wait staff was quite accommodating. We brought a bottle of wine and they opened promptly (corkage fee of $15.00 is reasonable), they put a candle in our friend's dessert, the food was brought to the table quickly and it was quite tasty (small plates to share). One of the appetizers only had 4 items and we requested just 1 more piece, they brought a whole additional order and said they would not charge for it. It was tasty and good ambience....lively on a Friday night. The only oddity was the menu states a 20% service charge for parties of 6 or more and they attached the 20% without telling us and we were only 5. I will go back somsetime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceNiecyDined on 5/31/2014Vanessa's was perfect for dinner on Saturday. The food is creative and delicious and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great serviceStevieDined on 5/31/2014The food was varied and very good, and it came out promptly. The server was very helpful, and we enjoyed our dinner a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unhappy dinerSFFoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014"Even though the tapas plates are reasonable, the kitchen really didn't deliver. The shrimp spring rolls had no sprouts, an abundance of noodles and very little shrimp. The crab salad had the wrong dressing, basically vey salty, soy sauce rather than a lemon, ginger vinaigrette, very little greens. The crab sandwich was primarily a hefty bread roll with minute amount of crab salad. There was also misunderstanding on the diner's part about the use of The Passport Card, but as a result, both lunches were comped, which was not the intention of my partner nor I. We both felt the snarky manager thought this was our intention. Basically the entire experience was very unpleasant."
- Good service, good foodEastbayeaterDined on 5/25/2014The duck confit was a tad dry but very tasty. We also enjoyed the petrale sole stuffed with crab and the jumbo shrimp with pasta very much. The staff was very nice, though we felt a little rushed even though there was no line waiting for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food for good price.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014Wonderful quail tapas, great entres, dessert a bit if a let down after the wonderful tapas and entres. Will come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clay pot chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/21/2014Had the clay pot chicken ... Delicious! Our server was friendly and very good. Will go back for wine Wednesday. 1/2 price bottles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 381 reviews are from the Vanessa's Bistro 2 reviews archive.
- LacklustercooldaddyoVIPDined on 5/17/2014Our first visit and experience, several months back, was fantastic; good food, good vibe, good time. This last visit, Saturday night, not so. At the onset, we wife questioned the lack of carbonation in her cocktail, and whether soda was actually used; the server's reaction made us feel as though we had just asked her for a personal loan. For the entree, my wife ordered what she had had last visit.....and loved; the crab salad. The server informed us that they were out of crab, we asked if we could substitute shrimp. When the salad came out, we were told they were out of avocado too? The salad consisted of just boiled shrimp on top of a bed of lettuce.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!TattaaVIPDined on 5/14/2014Great food! Great Service! Our favorite Waitress is Lauren...friendly, fun, and on top of it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable fine dininglarrytheoDined on 5/11/2014We went to Vanessa's for a combination Mothers Day/birthday celebration. Nice but not high-toned, Vanessa's was excellent for a special occasion meal when we didn't feel like going too over the top. Food was great; we started with the beet salad and soup, then had the baked petrale sole, filet mignon, and cumin marinated prawns with garlic noodles. Everything was very tasty and well-presented. The service was just great: attentive without being overbearing. Clearly this is a family operation, and it relies on the time-honored tradition of competing with The Big Boys by giving excellent value and friendly service, and being aware of and sensitive to the community. Great food, relaxed feel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceGottaHaveItDined on 5/11/2014As usual, the food was Excellent. Can't get enough of it. There were 7 of us who went, 5 of which have never been. They all loved it and have mentioned that they will definitely be back.Special Features:
- YUMGFFOODIEDined on 5/10/2014This is the place I ALWAYS recommend to friends looking for a great meal, lunch or dinner. The food is fresh, fast, and delicious. their GLUTEN FREE menu is the reason I started going there. Myself begin gluten free and my roommate being Dairy-free makes it quite challenging to find a place to eat. Vanessa's accommodates all our needs. And did I mention all the awesome happy hours? theres one every night pretty much and all day on sunday. One word. GO!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014The food and cocktails were outstanding. Our waiter, who said he was an owner, was initially quite attentive, but when we finally did choose our menu items, it was hard to get his attention. His spoke English pretty well, though he was very casual and his grammar was pretty poor. That did not make a good impression. My only other complaint is that I used my Passport Unlimited card (which gives me a free entree). He was VERY indiscreet about it - I had sort of hid it under the credit card and he basically took it out and threw it back on the table at me saying he didn't need it. Embarassing!!!! You are NOT supposed to do that!Special Features:
- Not So GoodComidaVIPDined on 5/8/2014The food was disappointing, not very flavorful. I would not go back.
- Consistently excellentDrimbleWedgeVIPDined on 4/27/2014I have been to Vanessa's about once a month both at their old location and now at their new location over the last few years. As you might infer from that statement, I have many favorite items on the menu I get every time. Vanessa's has been consistently excellent--not once have they had an 'off night'. (I can *not* say the same for the other restaurants I've frequented).Special Features:
- Needs some etiquette trainingballerinalitaVIPDined on 4/26/2014The food is excellent. The flavors are amazing and the portion size is perfect. The only critique I have is of etiquette - i.e. when to serve the entree (preferably after the appetizers, not before), wait until everyone is done to clear dishes, etc. But everything else was perfect.Special Features:
- Great TapasFoodloverVIPDined on 4/24/2014This was my first time at the restaurant but it definitely won't be the last. My sister and I shared four Tapas plates and they were all excellent. There were others on the menu that we wanted to try but we'll have to save that for next time. Even our brother who isn't a real fan of Vietnamese food was converted by the steak salad.Special Features:
- Diner123VIPDined on 4/19/2014We came for happy hour and left extremely satisfied. The restaurant has a very extensive happy hour menu (with generous portions) and everything was really tasty. What's nice is that happy hour is also on weekends, not just weekdays. We will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.