1268, ave. Van Horne
Montreal, QC H2V 1K6Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vanhornerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5145080828x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jens Ruoff
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available upon request for private dinning for a maximum of 24 guests.
Sur demande,nous pouvons privatiser le restaurant jusqu'à 24 convives.
- Private Party Contact: Sylvie Lachance 5147939299x
A word from Van Horne
Rated 5 Stars by Guide Resto Voir, the 6th Best New Restaurant in Canada according to EnRoute Magazine and 3 Diamonds from AAA/CAA, The Van Horne offers a contemporary gastronomic cuisine with focus on local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Van Horne reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (27)special occasion (24)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (20)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- magpieDined on 10/9/2014Loved the relax feel of the place, almost like being in someone`s home. Service was top notch without being stuffy.... Food very good. Anxious for next visit....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Van Horne AgainYUL2112Dined on 9/20/2014For me -- this is a neighborhood restaurant. Takes me 5 minutes to walk there... if I miss the light. I had invited my dad and brother for a family / boys dinner out. It was their first time and like my previous visits it was excellent. The menu changes frequently (if you see the rabbit, get it) and they rarely miss.... hitting a very high standard. Inventive, tasty, reasonable portions (no overserve to justify prices). Wine fiends will find the list limited but interesting. They impressed my dad and my brother and did not disappoint me. We even had dessert. The lunch menu is very nice if you wish to just "try".Special Features:
- Une excellente soiréelomill1Dined on 9/4/2014Après un hiatus de plusieurs mois, nous retrouvons le Van Horne avec un plaisir renouvelé. La carte est courte et créative (pas vraiment d'option pour les végétariens, cependant), le service attentionné et l'ambiance agréable. Tout était excellent, les combinaisons de saveurs juste assez intrigantes pour être intéressantes, chaque ingrédient gardant sa personnalité. Recommandé pour une occasion spéciale.Special Features:
- OregonFoodieDined on 9/3/2014We loved this restaurant, inventive, seasonal food, attentive, knowledgeable and fun service. A truly memorable evening.Special Features:
- FabriceDined on 8/14/2014Petite salle, le restaurant ne paye pas de mine de l'extérieur. Très bon accueil et service attentif. Nous avons pris le poisson en entrée et en plat, choix de vin limité. Nous y retournerons.Special Features:
- AmazingchiefrockDined on 7/26/2014We took the tasting menu and I took the wine pairing as well. Simply incredible and affordable. Very impressed. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Cuisine savoureuse et raffinéeMiamissimaDined on 7/24/2014Le râble de lapin est un pur délice! Cuisine créative, goûteuse et toute en finesse, service attentionné, charmant petit resto de quartier. C'est toujours un plaisir de retourner au Van Horne!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restobuffDined on 7/16/2014Great food. Great ambiance. Great service. I strongly recommend it! Especially for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent repas : menu dégustationhugozylbDined on 7/15/2014Nous avons beaucoup apprécié le menu Dégustation, original et savoureux (un tout petit peu trop de cerise sur le carpaccio en entrée). Amuse-bouche, trois entrées, un plat et deux desserts, des portions équilibrées préparées avec délicatesse. Une excellente adresse si vous avez quelque chose à fêter et que vous voulez très bien manger sans vous ruiner totalement !Special Features:
- Too expensiveYolandeDined on 7/11/2014Very good food. Presentation like work of art. Too little food in each service. Wine OVERLY expensive. Happy i went. Will not go back. Too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 38 reviews are from the Van Horne reviews archive.
- saturday night dinnersavoyDined on 6/14/2014We fell in love with the ford instantly, it was impeccable, the best fort I've had for at least a couple of years. Great choices on the menu and beautifully cooked. The service was excellent, the owner and staff very warm, welcoming and generous. Since last saturday evening , I have not stopped raving about this restaurant. Van Horne had both ambience and excellent food, unlike many of the "trendy " restaurants with terraces where you pay for an an atmosphere but the food is most often really not worth paying for. It will be my number one choice when I have guests and I will be back soon with some locals.Special Features:
- Outstanding and unpretentiousottawaconnectionDined on 6/4/2014This was my third visit to Van Horne and once again the dining experience was outstanding. The food was as always superb and beautifully presented. The saddle of rabbit was delicious, the bavaroise was exquisite, the suggested wine pairing was very satisfactory. The restaurant occupies a small, intimate space that is not at all pretentious. The focus is really on the quality of the food and the service is most attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great reataurantDeb1Dined on 5/17/2014The food is great and the menu has a good variety if choices Deserts, wine lovely too Service excellent And so cozy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food, service niceFoodiesDined on 5/3/2014food was very good, refined, very good reasonable portion , not too big, not too small, fresh,clean on the palate, not heavy at all waiters were very nice, offer good explanation of food , there were some minor issues to be improved like my waiter did not know 1 item on the plate so had to go back and ask, forgot my knife when brought me the next dish, did not offer coffee or tea option at dessert, but over all ,the evening was excellent !Special Features:
- SuperbeCarlisleDined on 5/2/2014Excellent restaurant. Les assiettes sont somptueuses, les textures contrastante, les saveurs et l'accord avec les vins sont tout simplement fantastiques. Contrairement aux autre restaurant du même calibre le service n'est pas hautain de plus il est fournis par des individus passionnés. Restaurant d'exception!Special Features:
- Dining4funVIPDined on 4/29/2014Food was excellent and creative but a little rich. Difficult to get a dish that did not have a cream sauce. Would love to return but would like to see some healthier choices.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/22/2014Excellent food, had the degustation menu, only thing is, the wine pairing was abit too expensive! in all food and service was excellent!Special Features:
- Cannot wait until we return.LenoreDined on 3/20/2014I must confess that we eat at Van Horne upon our arrival every time we visit Montreal (approx once a month). We sit down for a glass of wine and all the frets of work and life slough off. The wait staff is friendly and wonderfully attentive. The chef is creative. Slowly we savor each of the wonderful courses put in front of us. The food is unusual and flavorful. The Van Horne never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Well presented. Though the menu is limited, they choices are excellent and tasty. Service was excellentSpecial Features:
- Terrific!PierrotmathDined on 3/14/2014Fantastic place! The food was absolutely amazing from starter to dessert. Usually in restaurant there is always a course that is disappointing but here food was great from the begin in to the end for a reasonable price (if you exclude the wine!). A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great. The chefOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/13/2014The food was great. The chef adapts well to customer's food constraints too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belle expérience!MmangerDined on 2/1/2014Très bon restaurant! Cuisine raffinée et tres bon serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but tasty menu5ladiesDined on 1/24/2014I went to VH with a group of girlfriends whom I haven't seen in ages. The atmosphere was fun and the servers were professional and helpful. I would recommend checking out the menu online beforehand because the menu options are somewhat limited (although everything we ordered was excellent). There was an additional entree and a 5-course tasting menu in addition to the published options. The desserts were heavenly! We were 5 very happy ladies :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really greatLifeoftheArtyDined on 12/28/2013You have to go. The space is tiny and intimate, but the flavors of the daintily composed dishes are robust. They were very accomodating with my allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not enoughannieDined on 12/26/2013The food is excellent but portions not large enough. You get worried you will be hungry at the end of the meal. I could not recommend because of that especially that it is a bit expensive. AnnieSpecial Features:
- Very good food, but small portionsChrisboliviaDined on 12/6/2013We had the 5 course Menu Dégustation. The food was very, very good. Every course was constructed with delicate ingredients and with great creativity. The service was very good too. The waiter gave us excellent recommendations for the wine. However, after the five courses, I was still hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findBarryDined on 11/29/2013All the food was innovative and delicious . There were 4 of us and we all were very impressed. Friendly staff and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveninggafadoptDined on 11/28/2013This is a very special restaurant. I don't remember the last time I had food as carefully and interestingly prepared. The tastes, textures and flavors were as good as we have ever enjoyed. Our server was helpful and knowledgeable. I don't want this review to sound like a "plant" by the restaurant. It isn't. I am just a delighted diner. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and very tastyGinnzypopDined on 11/5/2013Charming simple fresh decor. Its a small place with few tables that are really really close together so not a good place for privacy. I went during montreal a table so menu was very limited but it was perfectly executed and very tasty. Service was friendly and pleasant. I will definitely go back when their regular menu is back.Special Features:
- Good food with original mixes,OpenBerDined on 10/24/2013Good food with original mixes, but not outstanding. Very short menu list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMeomunDined on 10/9/2013The discovery menu was awesome. The waiter was a bit annoying. Should leave people to enjoy the meal alone instead of coming to the table every 15min to ask if they enjoyed the meal. Overall, it was great. Awesome food and music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant and service evercordeirowillDined on 9/25/2013Went here on an anniversary and we were looked after incredibly well! Food was spectacular, staff was amazing...I don't know what to say except it is a must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and deliciousnycmaryDined on 8/30/2013I went with a group of six. Probably most people there are couples but I feel this charming little restaurant probably worked wonderfully for both. The woman running the restaurant couldn't have been more accommodating and flexible and the food was delicious. Also the wine we had, a white burgundy, was excellent, especially for the price. All of us in the group were extremely happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great intro...ELMTLDined on 8/7/2013The "mise en bouche" and appetizers were superb... unfortunately the mains did not live up to the high standards that was set by the preceding courses. The service was great, attentive, knowledgeable and responsive. The location is quiet and nice. A great evening overall but we were left wanting more...Special Features:
- Créatif, mais un peu trop!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2013Service impeccable, resto sympa, décor sobre et agréable à la fois. Entrée maquereaux, originale, mais tout de même bon au goût, un risque, mais avec moi ça a passé, jusque là, tout va bien! Plats principaux : le Porcelet et il était excellent et un poisson, mais fumé et cela n'était pas précisé sur le menu donc, ça a passé moins bien... Je lui ai offert (invité) de partager mon plat... Surprenant, c'est ça le mot. Il faut sortir de sa zone de confort au VANHORNE... Les desserts, même expérience, mais cette fois-ci le plaisir était partagé et c'est tant mieux. On y retourne : oui, mais pas tout de suite, on va aller voir aussi chez "Joe Beef", pourquoi pas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original exceptional !greasyVIPDined on 7/19/2013So exceptionnaly good food, very inventive, you could taste every ingredients, nothing overpowered or antagonized an ingredient versus another one, everything was fresh, presentation of each dish was like a painting, a lot of unknowned vegetables and herbs. The last time we had such an exceptionnal experience was with Joel Robuchon in Vegas ! The service (we had the tasting menu) was very effective.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/4/2013The food and service at Van Horne was excellent. They have a very selective menu which is fine for me since I don't like to be overwhelmed with choices and it makes me confident that everything will most likely be good. The dishes I ordered were incredible and beautiful to look at. They were too complex to describe but suffice it to say that they were well balanced and inventive. My husband ordered a fish as his main course and it was lovely but not as interesting as the other dishes we received. The portion was very, very small. It is definitely not a place for big eaters. The air conditioning was sort of anemic on a hot, humid summer day. Otherwise it was a great place for dinner. I wish we could have gotten the tasting menu. Next time.Special Features:
- I will returnCarfreeinlaVIPDined on 6/29/2013We had a wonderful dining experience at Van Horne. Really should be on everyone's list of top Montreal restaurants. Do order the tasting menu.Special Features:
- Great tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2013We have the chef's special tasting menu with 4 fish dishes and a great dessert. The sommelier suggested a great wine from the pyrenees region which complemented the meal very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We recently ate dinner withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013We recently ate dinner with another couple at Van Horne. The restaurant is small accommodating approximately 32 people so its hard to get a reservation. We finally snagged one for a Saturday evening. We were greeted and offered a tasting menu of five courses. We all opted for this.The first course was a sea urchin and cucumber appetizer. It was ok if you like it raw. Next course was a lobster tail with roasted asparagus which was delicious. Next was a small piece of halibut with some large leaf spinach sautéed which was the best course of the meal. The halibut was cooked to perfection. The main course was fish again, a salty piece of Talbot. Desert was a celeriac ice cream served with small strawberries. OK Meal but too much fish.Special Features: