Valley Inn Restaurant and Martini Bar
4557 Sherman Oaks Ave.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Valley Inn Restaurant and Martini Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.valleyinnrestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: 8187841163
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jose Luis Maciel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Two Private Rooms available John Wooden Room - seats up to 40 people - Flat Screen TV available for presentations. DVD/VHS connections VIP Room - Seats up to 16 people with a private entrance to celebrities. Flat screen TV for presentations
- Private Party Contact: Sophia 8187841163
A word from Valley Inn Restaurant and Martini Bar
Valley Inn Restaurant is proud to be a landmark in the San Fernando Valley for over sixty five years. Our restaurant is a true one of a kind. Step back in time and be enveloped by the decor; elegant, yet casual dining areas, dark wood, and leather booths with white tablecloth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Valley Inn Restaurant and Martini Bar - Best Restaurants in Sherman Oaks ›
Valley Inn Restaurant and Martini Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (7)good for groups (7)romantic (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (1)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Valley Inn Friday Oct. 10DrTWVIPDined on 10/10/2014We go to the Valley Inn often. In fact, my husband has been going there for many, many years - pretty much since it opened. We like the fact that the restaurant is busy and that a new generation has discovered its quirky vibe and good food. However, our last visit was made intolerable by a group with small children. No issues with the children, who were energetic, but why do parents feel that they have to fill the room with children's music, movies, etc? It killed the atmosphere, and our desire to linger for a much anticipated dessert. The restaurant owners seemed to go out of their way for the group, but left the rest of us feeling less than valued.Special Features:
- blast from the pastBingoDined on 10/10/2014visit 1970, classic food, big oinion soup , reasonable Caesar, great waiter.Special Features:
- Retro fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/4/2014The Valley Inn is a throw back to another time. Good, simple food in big portions. Leather booths and martinis, but also fried chicken and steaks. Nice to eat somewhere that isn't a chain or a trendy small plate place.Special Features:
- Never AgainBanksVIPDined on 8/15/2014Arrived early for a 730 res, 915pm still waiting for our food, Asked for the manager as the waitress had been saying 5 mins for the last half a hour, the waitress was useless and Lied to the manager about telling us about the delay which im told by the manager was because the waitress forgot to put in the order to the kitchen, Ended up 86 the food and leaving, The restaurant was empty, Manager was very nice but it was too late, Wont be returning ever again,
- Excellent serviceCavaliermomVIPDined on 8/2/2014They make you feel like old friends. Love their souvenir case of John Madden and Chick Hearn memorabilia.Special Features:
- great place.dasdloDined on 7/12/2014always a classic and never dissappointed. great place to be able to actually talk to your codiners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to begregsterVIPDined on 7/11/2014I believe 80 is the average age of its clientele. As we get older our taste buds weaken and as such we accept what is soft to what taste good. The food here is tasteless and dry and my wife and I are not 80. It is the kind of preparation found in a school cafeteria or the basement food court at Kaiser. Soup that tasted as if it came from a can, the dry crusted fish with overcooked vegetables and rice that lacked any level of seasoning was dreadful. My wife said her walnut "crusted" chicken was mushy, tasteless, and lacked any kind of sauce to brighten it up. We would have been better off going to Clifton's. Are they still open?
- The following 27 reviews are from the Valley Inn Restaurant and Martini Bar reviews archive.
- So wanted it to be better...FoodForThoughtVIPDined on 6/18/2014Drove by this place for years and finally made a reservation for son's 16th birthday. Cool-looking, old style restaurant with big booths. A place you want to be good. Unfortunately, the food is fair and the service is not much better---though the help is very nice---just not as attentive as they should be at that price point. The fried chicken was the winner at our table. The prime rib was flavorless. MIGHT give it a second chance but it needs to step up. Having said that, the place was hoping on a Wednesday night.Special Features:
- Valley Inn ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2014Always wanted to go here so I decided to pick the spot for my birthday. Started off with a wonderful martini at the old and authentic bar where our bartender entertained us with stories about the bar's origin. Food was very traditional American fare. Can't remember the last time I ordered a Prime Rib at a restaurant but this one was spectacular! My one son had the restauarnt's original fried chicken. Juicy and tender. My other son had the duck. Crispy and and also tender on the inside. Venue layout was a bit old school but fit in well for the evening (seated in our big round red leather booth). Glad I went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewmiesVIPDined on 6/5/2014enjoyed monte cristo sandwiches and nice waitress with great friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- A good old fashion restaurantObi1VIPDined on 5/11/2014I was waiting for The Rat Pack to come in the doors of this old fashioned type of restaurant with leather booths and a good old fashion American menu of great steaks, prime rib or seafood. We tried the lobster bisque which was delicious, the escargots, also delicious, the ribeye, the filet mignon and the prime rib. The meat was prepared perfectly. Salad, side dished with the meal were also traditional and good. The service was a little slow, but our waiter was wonderful, friendly and talkative. Also the wine glasses were wonderfully full. Will go back again with the rest of my family. this was a nice neighborhood find.Special Features:
- Never a bad mealfedshermanoaksVIPDined on 5/10/2014One of the Valley's best restaurants. Always a good meal and at a fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world steak houseuk2laDined on 4/19/2014We have lived in the Valley for 30 years and never found the time to go to the Valley Inn restaurant well that was our loss. The steak was perfect, tender and juicy but the vegetables were disappointing and bland. I also ordered a side of Brussel sprouts and they were nothing special either. for the money it was great value and we had an enjoyable evening with friends. We would definitely go again. Victoria was our server and she made the experience a lot of fun too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what I'd hoped for...luv2dineoutVIPDined on 4/12/2014Growing up on Long Island and then living as an adult on its North Shore, there were so many wonderful inns and restaurants to eat at. Not so in Southern California and I had been eying this place for the past five years of living in the Valley. When I saw photos of it, I pictured Frank Sinatra music, a dark and sultry speakeasy bar, old fashioned decor, and good old-fashioned service -- and it instilled memories of my East Coast favorite places -- even before I walked in the door! It was exactly as I expected and more. A little old-fashioned; a little bit dated; a little bit stodgy -- but a lot wonderful as a result. A perfect dinner and the the overall experience is now the underpinning of NEW memories.Special Features:
- Old World CharmBentlyDined on 3/25/2014The Valley Inn opened in 1947. The ambiance is special and almost European in style. But, the food is supurb. In fact, I had dinner there two nights in a row on my way to and from Ojai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAN FOREVERpittypatVIPDined on 3/21/2014FOR YEARS THE VALLEY INN HAS BEEN A GO TO PLACE FOR MY FAMILYSpecial Features:
- Good Old Hollywood placeBoricuas85Dined on 2/8/2014This place is reminder of what Old Hollywood used to be. Great food, ambiance and service. Can go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!KimmyDDined on 2/1/2014This is our neighborhood gem and we just love coming here. The martinis are always made to perfection and the food is always delicious. Hats off to Sophia and Boris!Special Features:
- Restaurant was selected forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/9/2014Restaurant was selected for business lunch because of high reviews. The service was very slow and waitress was far from the type of elegance one would expect from a supposedly top restaurant. Food was good but not exceptional. I was disappointed because I was anticipating a much more upscale experience and this did not rise to that level.
- Old time feel with great food.RockiesDined on 1/2/2014We went there to celebrate an anniversary and birthday. The menu has a wide variety of choices. Prime rib, ribs, calamari all tasted good. No complaints as we all enjoyed our dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealMobydougVIPDined on 12/27/2013The food is not creative or stylish, but it is classic and comforting. Old style interiors and generally an older group of people, but you will get a good meal and you will be greeted by the friendly owners and wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/19/2013We love the Valley Inn. Great food, great service, great everything.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally gave it a shotcarlton191Dined on 12/14/2013Did not disappoint. We were a little worn out from the usual valley steakhouses (Larsens, Monty's, etc), so after many many years of seeing this place just off the boulevard decided to give it a try. The steak was done to perfection and when you consider it comes with veggies and a potato/rice, very reasonably priced compared to the 'a la carte $45 places' so abundant today. The french onion soup was awesome as well. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic American steakhouseValleymanDined on 12/13/2013This is a wonderful gem of a place, with an old style feel and a great menu. Our entrees were delicious and the service was good even though the place was jammed with a Friday evening crowd. Worth trying if you haven't been there over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for large groups.wolfemanVIPDined on 12/7/2013Great place for large groups. They know how to handle your party if you are a party of 2 or a party of 25. Everyone leaves the restaurant very satisfied by the food as well as the service. I would defiantly use them for any kind of affair that I would have.Special Features:
- "Dinner that becomes a Tradition"NicholasDined on 11/28/2013This was my 1st visit to the Valley Inn but my friends who joined me had been many times before. Now I know why. Our Turkey Dinner was over the top: Moist, delicious and very abundant! I will return next Thanksgiving and for many other special occasions in-between!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How have I never been here beforeVegasMikeVIPDined on 11/22/2013Valley Inn has been around for over 50 years and this was our first time there. The service was great and the food was fantastic. The restaurant has an old feel to it but that is part of its flavor. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditionally TerrificphilliefanaticDined on 10/11/2013Like Matteo's on the Westside, this is an "old school" gem. Impeccable food and service. The Valley Inn is tradition and it is always an excellent experience. If you haven't tried their fried chicken then you don't know chicken. The ambiance is traditional and polished by years of experience. If the walls could talk they would speak of generations for whom a visit to the Valley Inn was the treat of a night out with Mom and Dad.Special Features:
- Great for a family dinnerLuv2dineVIPDined on 9/8/2013Were seated in the Wine room....a private room that was perfect for 13 persons. I enjoyed the spare ribs.....children seemed to like their pasta and hamburger. Food in general was good, not great. Salads were fair. Wife enjoyed her Veggie Burger. Old World atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine dining establishment,QuissieVIPDined on 8/26/2013A fine dining establishment, however could use more help when full.Special Features:
- Good bang for your buckfedshermanoaksVIPDined on 8/10/2013The food is alway consistently good here. You get a great bang for your buck, no paper napkins, hot rolls, full dinner and the service is friendly and makes you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE AND QUIET. LARGE MENU.patcangolfDined on 7/13/2013NICE AND QUIET. LARGE MENU. DON'T RUSH YOU. GREAT PLACE TO CHAT WITH FRIENDS AND ACTUALLY HEAR THE CONVERSATIONSpecial Features:
- Do Not Order SteaksBspuntVIPDined on 7/5/2013Everything we ordered was very good, except for the $40.00 filet mignon steak, ordered it as medium it came back as well done, and the server asked ' how is it?" and when i told her it was not medium and showed her it was well done, she became very defensive about it and insisted it was pink, but it was clearly well done. After i got half way through the meal she must have felt guilty and said "oh i can see you are not happy with your steak, you need to order it medium next time!"... there will be no next time! Severely lacking in customer service.
- We really enjoyed ourselves.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2013We really enjoyed ourselves. The service is very good and offers a great personal touch. We had the ribeye steak. Much better than anticipated. Meals come with soup or salad potato or rice and vegetable. Nice to have meal include everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.