Valley Green Inn
Valley Green Road at Wissahickon Creek
Philadelphia, PA 19128Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Valley Green Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://valleygreeninn.com/
- Phone: 2152471730
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Kate Harron 2152471730
A word from Valley Green Inn
Located in the Wissahickon Valley, the inviting atmosphere of Philadelphia's last remaining roadhouse is one of the city's best kept secrets. The Valley Green Inn is just waiting to be found in the bustling metropolis of America's Birthplace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Valley Green Inn - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
Valley Green Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (50)scenic view (49)special occasion (33)great for brunch (31)romantic (29)great for lunch (26)neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (12)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Memorable morningCluelessDined on 9/28/2014Beautiful morning for a delicious brunch on the porch watching others walking, running, biking. A memorable day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Host was unfriendly and unwelcoming. Staff was inattentive. Food was fair at best. We had brunch. We were a party of five. One had the asparagus, tomato, and cheese omelette. They must've used 5 or 6 eggs. It was overpowering and there was barely any asparagus or tomato. Another had the Brie stuffed French toast. There was barely any cheese. One person had the stuffed Belgian waffle and said it wasn't any better than what you get in the frozen department at the grocery store. We were told the meatloaf is what they were known for, however, the person who had it said it was fair. We had to ask for someone to come in to fill our water glasses. The experience was disappointing at best. We were there to celebrate four birthdays.Special Features:
- outsidedinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014Atmospheric with nice scenery in a historic inn good for warm weather on the porch or cold weather by the inside fireplace.Special Features:
- Locationsharon567Dined on 9/16/2014Great location on Forbidden Drive along the Wissahickon Creek (aka "back the crick"). Food was delicious. Drinks were excellent. The inn itself retains old world charm. Best part of the evening was our server: Cathy. If she were serving hot dogs, Cathy would make it fun and exciting!Special Features:
- Beautiful Setting;Good FoodfrequetflyerDined on 9/12/2014If you are looking for a science view with good food at reasonable prices... go to Valley Green Inn. We enjoyed lunch, outside on the porch... it was a perfect early fall day. This place allows for wonderful conversation. It just doesn't get any better than this venue for lunching with friends. Go! You will be so glad you did. Did I say... good food... but the setting makes you focus on your surroundings. Prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Nanof3Dined on 9/5/2014For our lunch, the food was exceptionally good and creative. The crab cakes were wonderfully full of just crab and seasoning. We enjoyed eating outside viewing the scenery. We would return for lunch and/or dinner anytime. In addition, our waitress was pleasant, friendly and well-informed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a beautiful settingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014valley green in is a nice restaurant in a beautiful setting - the food quality and service was very good, the menu a bit limited but seasonal. We felt the restaurant could have been a bit cleaner and in better repair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite lunch placesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014The service is good and you can't beat the scenery. Plus the grilled cheese sandwich is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valley Green Inn was great.CalvinsdottirDined on 8/24/2014The waitstaff was excellent, friendly, funny, made us feel like they really were happy to serve us. Food very good. I had the Eggs Benedict and my friend had the Very Berry French Toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnPointsPleaseVIPDined on 8/16/2014I was intrigued by the setting but ultimately turned off by the food. Our calamari was clearly out of a frozen bag and my husband's duck was well done (not the medium rare he asked for, nor the way it should have been served by any chef). My lamb dish was okay, but definitely not worth $29 (maybe $15). All in all we spent $95 on a meal for two. Our money could have gotten us a much nicer dinner in the city. I'm sad to write this review because I had high hopes of it being a good find.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!GrannyDined on 8/15/2014A terrific choice for a friend's birthday lunch...wonderful menu, perfect view, excellent service...can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun lunch with my sisterHelenV74Dined on 8/11/2014My sister was visiting from California and we had a wonderful lunch together. The food was very good and Todd, our waiter, made the experience fun and delightful. The only negative was that the restaurant and restroom could use a more thorough cleaning. There were cobwebs hanging from the railings on the porch and the restroom floors and paper and soap dispensers were very dusty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2014The hostess and waitress did not offer my 7 year old a kids menu. We went to snack bar to get a hot dog for him. Tuna sandwhich was chopped Ahi, it was not as advertised. Menu should have been clearer that the Salmon was smoked lox. Imagine our surprise when the table next to us was given a kids menu. I do think they had to ask for it....Special Features:
- Philadelphia TreasureluvphilaDined on 8/2/2014The lovely historic building in a secluded wooded valley beside a river in the middle of a major city could be enough but this place has excellent food and fine service. It is quite a package. A fabulous experience. Great also for out of town guests. It will wow them.Special Features:
- Lunch by the WissahickonBeachmomDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed a delicious lunch sitting outside on the porch on a cloudy Saturday afternoon. Delightful atmosphere watching bikers, joggers, and walkers of all ages enjoying the park and Wissahickon Creek. The service was excellent with our waitress explaining the varied menu and making some recommendations. The lemon squash soup was fantastic and my fiance's grilled cheese sandwich oozed with the variety of 4 different cheeses. We finished our lunch sharing a homemade blueberry cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream. We left ready for a walk in the park to eliminate some of those extra calories we had just consumed. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Overall we enjoyed the dinner especially the food and location. We ate outside and it was nice to walk around and watch the ducks before dinner but the prices seem inflated for the actual dining experience. The staff appear generally like diner waiters - they are polite and helpful but too casual in discussion and appearance. Nothing was bad but nothing was exceptional either - if you're not eating outside I would say you can get a better experience at a different restaurant or perhaps come for brunch.Special Features:
- Awesome venue for ho-hum foodHonestAbeDined on 7/22/2014The location is amazing and really can't be beat. Our waiter Scott was great, but the food just isn't that good. While the view was amazing, the porch stank of rotting garbage. While eating we watched an employee drag two bags away leaving a rotting trail of juice behind him. I had the crab cakes and my wife had the ribeye. The steak was grossly overdone and totally unappetizing. Rather than brown with sear marks it was grey. My crab cakes were ok. We've been here before and the duck was great, but overall, it's just way too much money for food that is ok at best. I think we'll be giving this location a break for a while until they can bring the quality of their food up.Special Features:
- Great ambience, lackluster foodRawb22Dined on 7/19/2014The ambience at this place is great. The service was adequate, but definitely not outstanding. I got a filet which I ordered medium-well and it came out well. On top of that, it was extremely tough for a filet. I know it isn't going to fall apart at that temperature, but the quality of the cut was just awful. My date had the scallops and she complained of the texture being off and that they were slightly undercooked. She posited they were cooked from frozen, as opposed to fresh. She enjoyed her French onion soup, and the wine was great. Maybe it was the time of day we came? Our reservation was at 8:30 and it seemed much if the staff was leaving. The poor-quality food and so-so service will prevent us from going back, however.Special Features:
- ExcellentnottobecriticalDined on 7/13/2014We came for a birthday brunch and everything-food and staff- was fabulous! I need to go more often.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The location is on the center of a park. It's a very quiet and relaxing location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice get-togetherDrRonVIPDined on 7/10/2014Valley Green Inn's location is pristine. Sitting on the porch, enjoying the view and the company was topped by the excellent service and quality food and beverage. Very, very nice day.Special Features:
- How did I not knowHonestAbeDined on 7/6/2014This place is absolutely awsome. How it took me 34 years to discover it is beyond me. Absolutely fabulous location along the Wissahickon. My daughters loved the sucks and wildlife. My wife and I loved the bianco as we dined on the porch. If you've never been, you owe it to yourself to give this a shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointing BrunchlawthomasDined on 7/6/2014The food failed to meet our expectations. While initially slow, the service improved during the meal. There is no dedicated parking nearby. There is just one handicapped space. Fortunately, a member of my party drove the car to a far away and up a hill space. What would a handicapped driver do if other members of the party did not drive? There is too much included in the brunch. Just one of the four of us opted for juice and coffee. Alacarte pricing would make sense.Special Features:
- FantasticDCaresDined on 7/5/2014We had a wonderful lunch at the Valley Green Inn after a nice family walk along the Wissahickon Trail. The staff were extremely accommodating, as we had a stroller, and our server, Tia, was outstanding. Everything was perfect. We will be back soon! Thanks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Enjoyable atmosphere for lunch...little musty smell in dining area.Special Features:
- Great characterDavidDined on 6/24/2014The outdoor patio dining provided a peaceful ambiance to a wonderfully prepared meal with attentive service. The rich history of the Inn also provided a special touch to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014We've eaten here a number of times, brunch, lunch and dinner, and it is always a great choice. We prefer to sit outside whenever the weather allows. On June 22 we had brunch on the porch and it was wonderful. I usually get the waffles and fruit because its my favorite, but my husband gets something different every time. This time he got eggs and smoked salmon, which looked really good! We had several people serving us, and we never felt rushed.Special Features:
- Not a happy camperSkipper1Dined on 6/14/2014We had paper napkins!food was just ok but very small portion for the price.Special Features:
- a disasterdisasterDined on 6/12/2014We are old friends of Valley Green Inn. We took a friend who hadn't been there before to lunch the other day. Seated in one of the two small rooms . Also in room as a table for 10 or 12 filled up promptly with group of happy talkative and loud women. We couldn't hear ourselves think. We just gave up talking. The ladies were having a great time. As we left man at desk said there was nothing he could have done. a waitress apologized etc but said couldn't help it. Never should seat small tables in room with large group. It will be a long time before we go back.Special Features:
- very peaceful.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Perfect experience for a family. Great surroundings, food, and the drinks were very good. Because of the surroundings, its easy to keep children entertained before, during and after the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treasure in the Phili WildernessJimmyDined on 6/7/2014Drive into a valley and over a creek to a location you may not think would be part of a major city. Spend time walking along the water. Quality and preparation of menu items are very good. Staff is friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Atmosphere inside is traditional, elegant, quaint, and relaxed. Seating outside is more relaxed and great as long as it is not too cold or too hot/humid (small flying insects can be an annoyance). No children’s menu but they seem to happily accommodate children with high quality items such as chicken fingers and other options. For the quality and portion size, prices are reasonable. Seating seems somewhat limited so making reservations may be a good idea.Special Features:
- The following 590 reviews are from the Valley Green Inn reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/1/2014Great brunch menu perfect for a scenic date! Definitely a more dressed up atmosphere.Special Features:
- Overall a Good Experience!BabskieDined on 6/1/2014The service was warm and friendly. Our food was served in a timely fashion, but not rushed. We went for brunch; we would do that again, and may even try dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Wonderful for lunch on a nice day and excellent service (Kathy was great!!). Food was fresh and delicious!Special Features:
- Romantic and peacefulDianaDined on 5/27/2014I've eaten dinner and lunch here a few times over the years, and always it is delicious. Inside the old, renovated building is romantic, outside on the veranda is beautiful and peaceful.Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchMrsSunshineDined on 5/25/2014I already had brunch at Valley Green Inn three times. The last time, we were seated outside, which was nice because it was a very sunny Sunday morning. The place is a comfy old house with very pleasant servers. The food was great and I love my cappuccinos every time (I just wished that they were included in the price of the brunch). I highly recommend this place for a delightful morning with your beloved ones.Special Features:
- Delicious food and Amazing setting!eaaFoodieDined on 5/18/2014The brie stuffed french toast are to die for. It was an amazing plate. Even the scramble eggs taste better at this place, they were delicious! Everyone in my party loved their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimboVIPDined on 5/18/2014Always a great spot for brunch. It was graduation weekend and there were groups to be attended to but that left us small tables lacking in service and even when the order was messed up they didn't recover very well. The waitress tried to make amends by coming to our table many times but she should have been in the kitchen resolving our issue rather than trying to chat us up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting, mediocre foodGoodFoodgoodcompany14Dined on 5/9/2014I wish I could rate this place better. The atmosphere is terrific and the service is good. Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends. It took a very long time to receive our food despite the restaurant being near empty on a Friday night. All 4 entrees ordered by our table were disappointing. The lamb was gristly and needed to be sent back. The risotto was undercooked and flavorless. Too bad as the location is truly unique.Special Features:
- Sadly, not impresseddisappointedDined on 5/3/2014Had friends visiting from out of state and wanted to show off the unique location of Valley Green Inn. It's true I had read it was better for brunch, but our time together was a Friday evening dinner. Soup was slow to arrive (we were almost alone in the restaurant at 6 p.m. ) The waitress spoke so softly, and to the rest of the dining room rather than to the four of us, and did not give the impression she cared about the food, or us. The entree's we each ordered were average, and pricey. . . .. . We left as soon as we were finished eating.