Valley Green Inn
Valley Green Road at Wissahickon Creek
Philadelphia, PA 19128Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Valley Green Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://valleygreeninn.com/
- Phone: (215) 247-1730
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Kate Harron 2152471730
A word from Valley Green Inn
Located in the Wissahickon Valley, the inviting atmosphere of Philadelphia's last remaining roadhouse is one of the city's best kept secrets. The Valley Green Inn is just waiting to be found in the bustling metropolis of America's Birthplace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Valley Green Inn - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
Valley Green Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (50)great for outdoor dining (43)special occasion (37)romantic (32)great for brunch (32)neighborhood gem (27)great for lunch (26)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (13)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Valley Green RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/16/2014My parents first took me to Valley Green to feed the ducks when I was four (I am 65). It has been a special occasion place ever since. The Wissahican Creek Park setting and wonderful historic building has been the biggest draw, but now the food befits the special setting. I was there for brunch and both the Huevos Rancheros and Eggs Benedict were a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SylvesterDined on 11/11/2014My wife and I have been going to the Valley Green Inn since we moved to neighborhood three years ago and we really enjoy the experience. We bring friends to the Inn all the time. Scott is a great server and the entire staff make you feel welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the energy.hiddengemfinderDined on 11/11/2014I was excited to receive a gift card to this restaurant and went on a beautiful Fall day. Sadly, it was very disappointing. The service is very slow , and forgetful although the server was pleasant enough. The staff seems to stand around quite a bit. The food was edible but totally lackluster. My daughter ordered grilled cheese and it arrived so burnt I asked her what changed her mind.....I thought she ordered a completely different meal! No apologies, no explanation. I would NOT recommend this restaurant unless a number of things changed , significantly.Special Features:
- all I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014We had two Australians visiting and wanted something out of the way and colorful and Valley Green Inn fit that requirement very well.Special Features:
- maybe an off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2014q quite night. Food was just not that flavorful. Too much salt on the duck. meat loaf was kind of bland and actually a bit tough. Salads had fresh ingredients but otherwise not special.Special Features:
- Good and enjoyabledjhrickVIPDined on 11/1/2014We ate at the Inn recently. The experience was lovely -- stopping in the woods at an inn smelling of a wood fire with warm good food and a quiet atmosphere. The evening was very enjoyable -- the wait staff was friendly and helpful and the service was slow but at a comfortable pace. The food was good - not fabulous, but pleasing and enjoyable. I would recommend the Valley Green INn as a great place ot go for a convivial evening with friends where you can relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maître d gives VGI a black eyeTrees4usDined on 10/26/2014Lovely place, if a bit overpriced. Food delicious. However, the maître d never spoke a word. When given our reservation name, he just pointed toward the reserved table and did not move. I would forgive an unwelcoming employee but he did again later in the evening - just gestured instead of speaking. This was an important occasion for our family and I wanted it to be lovely. He didn't say goodby either. Was he mute? (I'm not kidding or sarcastic; he never spoke.Special Features:
- DisappointingTeaHouseDined on 10/26/2014We returned to Valley Green for our anniversary--our wedding reception had been there. The food was disappointing: I had a vegetarian meal which I thought was insipid. My husband had scallops, and he too felt flavor was lacking. Service was not much better. Our memories were best.Special Features:
- Beautiful and worth the drive!!mallgirl3Dined on 10/15/2014It was a dark and rainy night. We made it to our destination. Business was slow due to the weather but the staff was very pleasant. Dinner was delicious!! We would absolutely like to try brunch or dinner again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you for the great dinnerBonnieDined on 10/11/2014Helen is a very talented young chef. We enjoy our dinner tremendously every time we visit there. Her innovative dishes- this time, shrimp and kimchi ravioli- are always amazing. In addition, her dessert dishes are exquisitely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable morningCluelessDined on 9/28/2014Beautiful morning for a delicious brunch on the porch watching others walking, running, biking. A memorable day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Host was unfriendly and unwelcoming. Staff was inattentive. Food was fair at best. We had brunch. We were a party of five. One had the asparagus, tomato, and cheese omelette. They must've used 5 or 6 eggs. It was overpowering and there was barely any asparagus or tomato. Another had the Brie stuffed French toast. There was barely any cheese. One person had the stuffed Belgian waffle and said it wasn't any better than what you get in the frozen department at the grocery store. We were told the meatloaf is what they were known for, however, the person who had it said it was fair. We had to ask for someone to come in to fill our water glasses. The experience was disappointing at best. We were there to celebrate four birthdays.Special Features:
- outsidedinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014Atmospheric with nice scenery in a historic inn good for warm weather on the porch or cold weather by the inside fireplace.Special Features:
- Locationsharon567Dined on 9/16/2014Great location on Forbidden Drive along the Wissahickon Creek (aka "back the crick"). Food was delicious. Drinks were excellent. The inn itself retains old world charm. Best part of the evening was our server: Cathy. If she were serving hot dogs, Cathy would make it fun and exciting!Special Features:
- Beautiful Setting;Good FoodfrequetflyerDined on 9/12/2014If you are looking for a science view with good food at reasonable prices... go to Valley Green Inn. We enjoyed lunch, outside on the porch... it was a perfect early fall day. This place allows for wonderful conversation. It just doesn't get any better than this venue for lunching with friends. Go! You will be so glad you did. Did I say... good food... but the setting makes you focus on your surroundings. Prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Nanof3Dined on 9/5/2014For our lunch, the food was exceptionally good and creative. The crab cakes were wonderfully full of just crab and seasoning. We enjoyed eating outside viewing the scenery. We would return for lunch and/or dinner anytime. In addition, our waitress was pleasant, friendly and well-informed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a beautiful settingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014valley green in is a nice restaurant in a beautiful setting - the food quality and service was very good, the menu a bit limited but seasonal. We felt the restaurant could have been a bit cleaner and in better repair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite lunch placesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014The service is good and you can't beat the scenery. Plus the grilled cheese sandwich is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valley Green Inn was great.CalvinsdottirDined on 8/24/2014The waitstaff was excellent, friendly, funny, made us feel like they really were happy to serve us. Food very good. I had the Eggs Benedict and my friend had the Very Berry French Toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnPointsPleaseVIPDined on 8/16/2014I was intrigued by the setting but ultimately turned off by the food. Our calamari was clearly out of a frozen bag and my husband's duck was well done (not the medium rare he asked for, nor the way it should have been served by any chef). My lamb dish was okay, but definitely not worth $29 (maybe $15). All in all we spent $95 on a meal for two. Our money could have gotten us a much nicer dinner in the city. I'm sad to write this review because I had high hopes of it being a good find.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!GrannyDined on 8/15/2014A terrific choice for a friend's birthday lunch...wonderful menu, perfect view, excellent service...can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun lunch with my sisterHelenV74Dined on 8/11/2014My sister was visiting from California and we had a wonderful lunch together. The food was very good and Todd, our waiter, made the experience fun and delightful. The only negative was that the restaurant and restroom could use a more thorough cleaning. There were cobwebs hanging from the railings on the porch and the restroom floors and paper and soap dispensers were very dusty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2014The hostess and waitress did not offer my 7 year old a kids menu. We went to snack bar to get a hot dog for him. Tuna sandwhich was chopped Ahi, it was not as advertised. Menu should have been clearer that the Salmon was smoked lox. Imagine our surprise when the table next to us was given a kids menu. I do think they had to ask for it....Special Features:
- Philadelphia TreasureluvphilaDined on 8/2/2014The lovely historic building in a secluded wooded valley beside a river in the middle of a major city could be enough but this place has excellent food and fine service. It is quite a package. A fabulous experience. Great also for out of town guests. It will wow them.Special Features:
- Lunch by the WissahickonBeachmomDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed a delicious lunch sitting outside on the porch on a cloudy Saturday afternoon. Delightful atmosphere watching bikers, joggers, and walkers of all ages enjoying the park and Wissahickon Creek. The service was excellent with our waitress explaining the varied menu and making some recommendations. The lemon squash soup was fantastic and my fiance's grilled cheese sandwich oozed with the variety of 4 different cheeses. We finished our lunch sharing a homemade blueberry cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream. We left ready for a walk in the park to eliminate some of those extra calories we had just consumed. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Overall we enjoyed the dinner especially the food and location. We ate outside and it was nice to walk around and watch the ducks before dinner but the prices seem inflated for the actual dining experience. The staff appear generally like diner waiters - they are polite and helpful but too casual in discussion and appearance. Nothing was bad but nothing was exceptional either - if you're not eating outside I would say you can get a better experience at a different restaurant or perhaps come for brunch.Special Features:
- The following 606 reviews are from the Valley Green Inn reviews archive.
- Awesome venue for ho-hum foodHonestAbeDined on 7/22/2014The location is amazing and really can't be beat. Our waiter Scott was great, but the food just isn't that good. While the view was amazing, the porch stank of rotting garbage. While eating we watched an employee drag two bags away leaving a rotting trail of juice behind him. I had the crab cakes and my wife had the ribeye. The steak was grossly overdone and totally unappetizing. Rather than brown with sear marks it was grey. My crab cakes were ok. We've been here before and the duck was great, but overall, it's just way too much money for food that is ok at best. I think we'll be giving this location a break for a while until they can bring the quality of their food up.Special Features:
- Great ambience, lackluster foodRawb22Dined on 7/19/2014The ambience at this place is great. The service was adequate, but definitely not outstanding. I got a filet which I ordered medium-well and it came out well. On top of that, it was extremely tough for a filet. I know it isn't going to fall apart at that temperature, but the quality of the cut was just awful. My date had the scallops and she complained of the texture being off and that they were slightly undercooked. She posited they were cooked from frozen, as opposed to fresh. She enjoyed her French onion soup, and the wine was great. Maybe it was the time of day we came? Our reservation was at 8:30 and it seemed much if the staff was leaving. The poor-quality food and so-so service will prevent us from going back, however.Special Features:
- ExcellentnottobecriticalDined on 7/13/2014We came for a birthday brunch and everything-food and staff- was fabulous! I need to go more often.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The location is on the center of a park. It's a very quiet and relaxing location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice get-togetherDrRonVIPDined on 7/10/2014Valley Green Inn's location is pristine. Sitting on the porch, enjoying the view and the company was topped by the excellent service and quality food and beverage. Very, very nice day.Special Features:
- How did I not knowHonestAbeDined on 7/6/2014This place is absolutely awsome. How it took me 34 years to discover it is beyond me. Absolutely fabulous location along the Wissahickon. My daughters loved the sucks and wildlife. My wife and I loved the bianco as we dined on the porch. If you've never been, you owe it to yourself to give this a shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointing BrunchlawthomasDined on 7/6/2014The food failed to meet our expectations. While initially slow, the service improved during the meal. There is no dedicated parking nearby. There is just one handicapped space. Fortunately, a member of my party drove the car to a far away and up a hill space. What would a handicapped driver do if other members of the party did not drive? There is too much included in the brunch. Just one of the four of us opted for juice and coffee. Alacarte pricing would make sense.Special Features:
- FantasticDCaresDined on 7/5/2014We had a wonderful lunch at the Valley Green Inn after a nice family walk along the Wissahickon Trail. The staff were extremely accommodating, as we had a stroller, and our server, Tia, was outstanding. Everything was perfect. We will be back soon! Thanks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Enjoyable atmosphere for lunch...little musty smell in dining area.Special Features:
- Great characterDavidVIPDined on 6/24/2014The outdoor patio dining provided a peaceful ambiance to a wonderfully prepared meal with attentive service. The rich history of the Inn also provided a special touch to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014We've eaten here a number of times, brunch, lunch and dinner, and it is always a great choice. We prefer to sit outside whenever the weather allows. On June 22 we had brunch on the porch and it was wonderful. I usually get the waffles and fruit because its my favorite, but my husband gets something different every time. This time he got eggs and smoked salmon, which looked really good! We had several people serving us, and we never felt rushed.Special Features:
- Not a happy camperSkipper1Dined on 6/14/2014We had paper napkins!food was just ok but very small portion for the price.Special Features:
- a disasterdisasterDined on 6/12/2014We are old friends of Valley Green Inn. We took a friend who hadn't been there before to lunch the other day. Seated in one of the two small rooms . Also in room as a table for 10 or 12 filled up promptly with group of happy talkative and loud women. We couldn't hear ourselves think. We just gave up talking. The ladies were having a great time. As we left man at desk said there was nothing he could have done. a waitress apologized etc but said couldn't help it. Never should seat small tables in room with large group. It will be a long time before we go back.Special Features:
- very peaceful.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Perfect experience for a family. Great surroundings, food, and the drinks were very good. Because of the surroundings, its easy to keep children entertained before, during and after the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.